Start by marking “Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)

Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire #2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,696 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
The people of Aramanth are finally free of the Morah, the evil power that controlled them for generations. But a ruthless attack by soldiers from a distant land destroys the city, and its people are driven off as slaves.

During the invasion, Kestrel and Bowman are separated for the first time in their lives. Bowman becomes a slave of the Mastery. Kestrel escapes, then sets
Published September 1st 2001 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slaves of the Mastery, please sign up.

Ash Butler No, Nicholson doesn't want his books turning into movies

Magdelanye
With all the fuss over The Hunger Games,I was never drawn into actually reading it.
Though I blundered into this middle volume in the Wind On Fire trilogy,(there is nothing on the cover to indicate this status)it seems to me that it presents a very similar but more coherent alternate reality as a setting for its young protagonists to acheive moral awareness.The ritual of manaxa,with its combination of lethal grace,wrestling and dancing,provides a far more compelling contest than the aimless bruta
Mandy
Apr 26, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is officially one of the best books I have ever read and it is certainly in my Top Five Young Adult Books list. This book has it all – action, adventure, imagination, likeable characters, wonderful worlds and an excellent plot.

The story takes place five years after the events of The Wind Singer and our protagonists are now 15 years old. Aramanth is attacked and the Manth people are taken into slavery by the army of the Mastery.

Kestrel Hath is the only living person left behind and she emba
Sophie
First off, What I didn't like...

I absolutely hated like the implication that in order to be beautiful you must also be waif thin.
I liked Sisi's character to a certain degree, but the message she promoted within the book was wrong, there is no other way of describing it.
In your quest for that emaciated figure you so desire you must not eat anything for days on end.
You must not drink anything more calorific than water.
After you have married that all changes, you no longer need to be attractive
Marina Coco
Mar 24, 2016 Marina Coco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-jewels
This entire series has stayed with me since I was a child, and this is definitely the best installment. The world building is still intriguing, but both more carefully crafted and more "narrow" than in the previous and following books. The kids are grown up and passions (of very different types) take over, and it's way more compelling than you would've thought. And basically, Kestrel. She's everything. Best young adult female heroine ever, really. Flawed, stubborn, rebellious and vicious at time ...more
Geoff
Apr 24, 2011 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just recently read the first book in the trilogy, Wind Singer (see my review here), my immediate impressions about the second book are well done!

The author has transitioned from the simpler writing style of Wind Singer to one that is much more befitting the age group I believe the books are targeted at. The more mature circumstances written about are also appropriate given the main characters' aging into young adulthood.

For me, and I believe for many readers, the outcome of this installme
Annie
I really, really enjoyed the second book of this series. Once again Nicholson gives us a somewhat vague criticism of government (the second book must be communism, but the first? I'm not really sure, it was definitely a punishment/rewards system though) as the backdrop for the story, but I wasn't terribly interested in the precise nature of his philosophical leanings. No, once again I found myself completely in love with the characters, Kestrel in particular.

"...And yet, glorious as it was, beau
Chae
Apr 07, 2013 Chae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Slaves of the Mastery," the second novel in the Wind on Fire series was absolutely amazing. The story follows many characters including Kestrel, Bowman, the Hath Family, Mumpo, and other new characters. It was interesting to see characters grow and develop, especially Bowman, who matured greatly in this novel. William Nicholson also added interesting, yet crucial characters to this sequel: The Gang, a "clan" who, in this novel, travelled to the Mastery to wed the flawless Johdila.

This was such
Jun 28, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything the reader remembers and loves from the first book is effectively destroyed in the first chapters of Slaves of the Mastery. There is no chance to savour the gentler, rebuilt Aramanth or enjoy the naive passion of its child characters, who are now five years older and wiser. The city is destroyed and its people are enslaved.

This is a more adult book than it predecessor in many ways. Although The Windsinger was very scary in places, this has horrific scenes which I don't think are suit
Heather S
Jun 29, 2014 Heather S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Aug 02, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
I read these through 2007 and finished the third book in March 2008. These books are one of the few series of YA fantasy I can think of that are UNIQUE. I'd never read anything like them. Nicholson creates a really intriguing world, and keeps adding interesting new elements in each book. He also has great skill at choosing character names!

I ended up using the Manth wedding vows from this book as one of the readings at our wedding. They bring tears to my eyes pretty much every time I read them.
Fantasy Literature
Slaves of the Mastery picks up several years after the events of The Wind Singer and in plot and structure is similar to its predecessor, though not as original in thought or imagery. Once again, the book examines a dystopic setting. In this case it is The Mastery, a city-state of slaves and masters, one of whose leaders has raided the Manth city and taken its inhabitants, including the main characters from book one, into slavery. The book once again focuses on the Hath family (including this ti ...more
Emily
Jul 18, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
sisi!!!!! (also maybe more like a 3.5/5? the next book will probably solidify my feelings about the whole experience a bit better, i hope)
Ida Marie Heggem
based on the same society as the first, all you need now is three words: love, war and problems.
Emma Couperus
Jan 15, 2015 Emma Couperus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good book! I read it when I was a child (from the library) and it has stayed with me, because it just made a huge impression. I had no idea what the title was, until I picked it up at a book-sale and started reading the back.
Sometimes you're dissapointed when you re-read something that was so powerful the first time you read it, but not in this case. After reading some crappy and unoriginal fantasy, I was wondering if I really liked the genre, but then I read this and thought: ah
Kim Dyer
Although I did think that this novel was an improvement on The Wind Singer, I was still disappointed in it as a whole.

The story showed a marked improvement in terms of quality of prose and pacing but it contained little development for the principle cast (except for Bowman). Kestrel starts out the novel as a strong character but starts to become a damsel in distress towards the end in order to allow Bowman more room for development. Mumpo also is treated very badly by the author - never seeming
Suz
Jun 27, 2014 Suz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ingrid
Jul 31, 2013 Ingrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not completely sure of what to think about this one. The style of writing improved since the first book, though in general, I'd say I liked the simplicity of the first book more. The first book was, of course, better. That is to be expected. However, for a sequel, this book wasn't bad.

Firstly, there was a maturer voice and tone to the book that I appreciated. The characters had grown, wisened, and deepened. The stakes were raised, and cruelty befell the Manth people.

Secondly, the plot was exci
Katie
Dec 07, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slaves of the Mastery is the second book in William Nicholson's Wind on Fire trilogy. In my opinion, it was the best one and remains my favorite out of the three. This book, along with it's sequel, Firesong, features a LOT of characters. We're talking like a group of 30+ characters. Out of that many people, most of them are minor and background characters, but at the same time I actually connected with this large group of people. And that never happens when I read books with that many characters ...more
Jossu89
Sep 16, 2013 Jossu89 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tämän sarjan uusinta luvussa ensimmäisen osan, Tuulen laulun, jälkeen oli hiukan pettynyt olo. Se ei ollut yhtä hyvä kuin muistin. Mutta tätä lukiessa palautui mieleen miksi silloin aikoinaan pidin tästä sarjasta niin paljon. Oli kiinnostavaa lukea kaksosten, Kestrelin ja Bowmanin, suhteesta ja kuinka he kaipasivat toisiaan joutuessaan eroon toisistaan. Mutta kaikista mielenkiintoisin hahmo oli kuitenkin prinsessa Johdila eli Sisi, joka kehittyy kirjan aikana valtavasti. Alussa hän on vain turha ...more
Mariajacky
Mar 19, 2014 Mariajacky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the little sneaks of humour that are hidden in this book. As well as all the adventure and mysterious characters. I love this series and I guess since I read the first book last year, I forgot how awesome it was. Bu am so finishing this series as soon as possible because am desperate to know the ending. I love how the author links all the journeys that the characters lives are on. I found the marriage concept very intriguing, I must say that the chapters where Sisi and Kess were alone wer ...more
María
Apr 11, 2014 María rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wind Singer was one of my favorite books as a child - long before I had daily access to the internet and long before I spoke English, and so I had no idea that it was the first in a trilogy. So good to read the sequel! Better late than never :) Now for the final instalment!
Barbara Ell
This is the second book in the Wind on Fire Trilogy. This picks up 5 years after the first book, The Windsinger, ended. Although it is a sequel, you really do not need to read the first book to understand the second.

The twins are now 15 and while they are still close, they are trying to appease their parents in not being so close (reading each others minds, etc). Their people are peace-loving, but were taken captive. While Kestral was not taken into slavery, her brother was. She tracks her famil
Lumos
Jun 25, 2012 Lumos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several years ago I read The Wind Singer, and it really enthralled me. The landscapes, the unique names, the districts and political system in Aramanth - it fascinated and scared me from the first page. I thought it was about time to read the next book, and I was not disappointed.

This is a great book, although not as fantastic as the first in my opinion. But after all these years, it was amazing to meet Kestrel, Bowman and Mumpo again. And of course, little Pinpin. A lot is changed, I find them
Megan
Aug 01, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I still cannot believe I had never heard of this series before. It is such a wonderful set of books full of the qualities that make up the best of fantasy: a "quest," tension, magic, duels, battles, intrigue, double-crossing. This book was more brutal than book 1, and so is more suited for teens than younger kids. But oh, I loved it!
Paul
Oct 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Review written: sometime before April 17, 2015

Slaves of the Mastery by William Nicholson

Why I read it: I'd read The Wind Singer years back and loved it, but only managed to get around to reading the rest of the trilogy now.

Rating: 4/5

What I thought: Nicholson trades in the wackiness for general despair and despondency, but the characters I remember and love so well from before (as well as some new ones) still shine true, as does their hope. There's a lot of intriguing philosophical discussion in
Loren
Oct 26, 2007 Loren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
How could they leave their great city so soon after it was 'fixed'? So tragic. It's great to see Nicholson can write a book for a more mature audience. More complex relationships present themselves-Mumpo's crush has developed into love. Nicholson is more brutal with killing characters and this continues into 'firesong'. Unlike 'the wind singer' this book leaves you with a hungering for the next one. It is still technically a stand-alone as there are no cliffhangers.

As with the noble warriors tri
Maria Mahoney
Sep 12, 2015 Maria Mahoney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always liked the second book much more than the first. I loved how the book progressed and it actually was not as slow going as The Wind Singer. In fact I thought this book was quite well paced. I even liked the storyline a lot better.
Dec 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Kestrel and Bowman really developed as characters in this book. I much prefer this book to the first in the trilogy because the twins were older and much more interesting.
F.mbozi
Sep 10, 2015 F.mbozi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book in the series for me- it was beautifully told from the perspectives of various characters in contrast with the other books.
Squeaky
May 03, 2014 Squeaky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Near the end it struck me that this might be a sort of "Game Of Thrones" for younger readers. I am quite looking forward to the third book.
the twins 1 22 Feb 11, 2010 06:26AM
  • The Scent of Magic (Doomspell, #2)
  • Broken Sky: #01
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
  • Song Quest (The Echorium Sequence, #1)
  • Dragonsight (The Jelindel Chronicles #3)
  • The Creature in the Case (Abhorsen, #3.5)
  • The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart, #4)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • At the Crossing Places (Arthur Trilogy, #2)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1
More about William Nicholson...

Wind on Fire (3 books)
  • The Wind Singer (Wind on Fire, #1)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)

“We are the slaves of slaves” 6 likes
“She slapped Kestrel’s face. Without thinking twice, Kestrel slapped her back, as hard as she could. The young woman burst into tears. The servant saw this, aghast.
“Baby!” She exclaimed. “Oh, my poor baby!”
“You’ve been kind to me,” said Kestrel, “and you’re very beautiful, but if you hit me again I’ll kill you.”
6 likes