Start by marking “Prisoner (Criminals & Captives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner (Criminals & Captives, #1)

Prisoner (Criminals & Captives #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  4,557 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
He seethes with raw power the first time I see him—pure menace and rippling muscles in shackles. He’s dangerous. He’s wild. He’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

So I hide behind my prim glasses and my book like I always do, because I have secrets too. Then he shows up in the prison writing class I have to teach, and he blows me away with his honesty. He tells me se
Published October 22nd 2014 by Skye Warren & Annika Martin

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner, please sign up.

DemetraP I really want to know when book 2 releases too. No news that I can find.
Rebecca It's not but has a good ending you won't be disappointed!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
4 Who's The Prisoner Now Stars!

Now on the off chance this first bit sounds negative trust me, I'm not trying to be negative I'm just "covering my arse".

Now before you read this book you'll need to know a few things.

1. If you haven't read Wanderlust by Skye Warren then you should, because while this book isn't exactly the same it does follow along the same grain.
2. Insta-love. Beware.
3. Non-con some would argue and say it was slight reluctance, I'm just gonna warn you it's not completely consensu
Candace
I expected this book to be a dark story with a captivity theme, which it was. However, I didn't expect that it would be a deeply emotional story about a man that was scarred by a traumatic childhood. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of this story and the connection I felt to the characters.

Abigail first sets her eyes on Grayson when she's assigned to teach a writing class at the penitentiary as part of her undergraduate coursework. There is an instant physical attraction between the two f
Pam
4 a little hate, a little hell. stars
It’s the best kind of lie to tell—one that’s true.

This isn’t a fucking fairy tale. I’m not going to turn into a good guy because her cunt is made of velvet and rainbows.

Oh wow, how to review this without giving anything away... the synopsis only covers about 25% of what this book is all about which is a good thing, because while I assumed I was getting one thing, it turned out to be that and so much more...

Prisoner was filled with anticipation and the
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 Stars

Some people have a relationship that's sunshine and roses. Our is darkness and vengeance.

If you've read the blurb, then you probably picked up on the fact that it pretty much tells you nothing. As far as descriptions go, it's very vague...AND THAT'S IMPORTANT. I'd advise you to read as little reviews about this book if not any before diving in. Trust me, you'll enjoy it that much more. What are some things I can tell you about it?
1. Prepare to read it in one sitting.
I'm not even ki
Khadidja

It’s such an incredible story with so many unexpected, unforeseen twists that even up until the last few pages, I couldn’t see how it would end...*sigh* Words are failing me to desribe how i truley feel about this, I am too happy, sad, amazed, Upset, In love !!

“I’m his and he’s mine.”

Overall: Well written book, suspense action-filled, great characters.
Glass
4.5 - ohmygodwhatwasthis - stars

"Some people have a relationship that's sunshine and roses. Ours is darkness and vengeance."

What I initially thought Prisoner would be about?
Forbidden romance, alpha male and bookworm, with just enough darkness to make things interesting.

What happened after I read it?

description

Prisoner is first novel in new series, Criminals and Captives, written by Skye Warren and Annika Martin. I haven't read Annika Martin novels before, but Skye Warren got under my skin with delici
Jen
WOWSA! What an awesome book! I am easy to please; but this book just really tickled my fancy in so many ways..I will admit that there were several times I was concerned with the fact that I could fall in love with an anti-hero like Grayson. However, the authors did a beautiful job of humanizing him in a way that brought out all of my empathy. Once learning about where he came from, and his life experiences...I was sold..and his screwed up way of feeling that Abby was his to protect, and his ...more
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
4.5 Captivating Stars!

description

I was completely sucked in from the very beginning. Most of the time a book is like a tea kettle, it takes times for it to get hot and whistle, but right off the bat I was wrapped up in this story. All I needed was a bowl of popcorn and I would've been set! There is so much action, suspense and intrigue that this will keep you on the edge of your seat. And there's enough romance to satisfy the romantic at heart.

description

I don't want to give much of the story away, as I think this on
Jacqueline's Reads
Oct 29, 2014 Jacqueline's Reads rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books, arc

4 Captive Stars

I like my kidnapping books. I know, it’s the whole damsel in distress thing, I just love it. So when I got the chance to read Prisoner, I had to snatch it up.

I like dark reads. The really gritty, cringe worthy kind and I wouldn’t call Prisoner a dark read (despite the cover), there’s plenty of drama and action to keep you on your toes.

There were two main things that worked for me in Prisoner, the writing style (fast pace) and it’s mostly dialogue based writing.

Summary

Abby is a co
SK *The Cupcake Queen*
4.5 Stars!

I am going to keep this super short. I loved this book. It was kind of surprising that I loved it so much. Usually, I find books where the plot is great but the writing sucks or vice versa. But this one hit all the right spots for me. The language wasn't overly romantic but just enough that I fell for it. And the chemistry and characters were amazing.

So as many of you must have guessed, this is a story about a prisoner called Grayson who uses Abigail (Prison's Temp teacher/librarian
Val ⚓️ Shameless & Bitchy Skanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads Mrs. Danvers-Tate-Snow
3.5 Stars

My thoughts before reading this book (direct quote):

"Holy crap, that blurb! *rubs hands together gleefully*"

My thoughts after reading this book:

"Holy crap. *want to punch Abby in face gleefully*"

This was good, but could have been awesome.

I understand that it's not always right to kill. Make love, not war and all that crap. But Abby (view spoiler)

Fuc
Didi
3.5 TO 4 STARS

When I heard Annika Martin, aka Carolyn Crane, was teaming up with Skye Warren I was intrigued. I love Carolyn Crane's work and like what I've read by Skye Warren. This was a dark, somewhat disturbing, raw and deceptively romantic book. Abigail gets assigned to teach an English class for a group of felons at the high security prison. She doesn't want to do that, but at the risk of disappointing her supervisor, she sticks to it.
Abby comes across as timid and stiff. She harbors a sec
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
3.75 STARS

description

“Some people have a relationship that’s sunshine and roses. Ours is darkness and vengeance.”

description

“Prisoner” is the first book in Skye Warren and Annika Martin’s series “Criminals and Captives”. While the story has some dark elements – kidnapping, Stockholm syndrome and others, for me it wasn’t a super dark read. More like a light dark. If you read “Wanderlust” by Skye Warren you will like this one as well, because, there are many similarities between these two. I must admit until some p
Kirsten
4+ Ms Winslow stars!

photo image.jpg1_zpsyddqyimi.jpg

Prisoner was a fast paced and captivating read.

While working on her degree, Abigail Winslow along with her class, has been given a project. Visit different people and help them write a personal memoir that will be posted on the Internet. Abby is not thrilled about her assignment. She is to go to the nearby prison and help the inmates with their writing. On her first day, a prisoner is brought passed her, and her blood heats at his powerful form.

Grayson Kane has been locked
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
5 Loved, Loved, Loved Stars!

So, when I read a friend's review (waves to Christine) and she compared this book to Wanderlust, I bought and started it pronto. Wanderlust is one of the very few books I have loved so much, I sent mass books recs out to any and all friends who hadn't read it. This book too did not disappoint!

photo 0FC67ED8-5D04-410D-BAB0-D6AEA507BF86_zpse602ueuy.jpg

Prisoner is a somewhat dark (I've read much darker) book about a man, Grayson who's serving time for murdering a cop. When he sets eyes on the prim and proper Ms. Winslow, an En
Pam Godwin
Nov 06, 2014 Pam Godwin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-romance
You might think you can’t handle disturbing subject matter, consider yourself squeamish, and have no interest in testing the edges of your comfort zone. But you would do yourself a disservice to miss out on this one.

The story is only as dark as it needs to be. It doesn’t try to shock for the sake of shocking. The tone is measured. This is emotional storytelling with a purpose. And the result: one of the most electrifying and intelligent love stories of the year.

It’s a complexly-woven tale of hea
TORI
Nov 28, 2014 TORI rated it really liked it
3.50 Stars

This is the first book of the Criminals sand Captives Series. And it's a good, but not great start. I didn't love it as a whole, but I loved parts of it. I enjoyed Grayson and Abigail's story, but I felt the attraction these two had was two parts instalove one part Stockholm. I never felt like there connection went as deep as I would have liked. On paper they were perfect for each other with their respective f**ked up past, but something was missing. I can't put my finger on it.

Anothe
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
3.5 Stars

I liked this one, I just didn't love it - BUT I could have, it just needed that extra Wow factor.

Abby meets Grayson when she has an assignment to teach at the Prison. Grayson is desperate to get into her class, and it isn't just because he finds her extremely attractive. She, of course thinks he is too hot to handle.

He's too big, too beautiful, too dangerous, too everything. He steals the show. He fills the room. He leaves a wake of pure energy in my belly as he continues to the front.
Mariam
Oct 26, 2014 Mariam rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, dark, suspense
I wasn't going to write a review, but then I thought why not? Maybe the authors could benefit from it or something.
Anyway, I noticed most readers gave this book 4 or 5 stars and I thought something must be wrong with me. I was gonna change it to 4 stars but hell, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
The first half of this book was amazing. A solid 4 stars. I was really into it and I was excited but then the most dreadful thing happened that changed my whole view of the hero and left me stra
S.M. West
Dec 11, 2014 S.M. West rated it really liked it
4 CAPTIVE STARS

I’ve read several of Skye Warren’s books and enjoyed them. I have this twisted fascination with the fringes of humanity, the underbelly of society, captor/captive and the dark side of man.

So without reading the blurb, I knew there’d be some dark and disturbing content. That’s all I will say because if any of the above intrigues you, this is worth the read.

It’s not all dark. There are moments and subjects that will have your stomach turning and gritting your teeth but there’s a l
Michelle
Oct 27, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
What is a dark read? For me a dark read is when I feel the pain and horror of the person being abused. It's when the author has made me scared or feeling so bad at what is happening to the person being made to do things that they don't want to do. It's when you get goosebumps from all the sick things being described that they are doing or going to do to their victims. I want all that sick mind fuckery in the abuser to come out at me. I love it. lol
This book had the potential to be dark. But it d
✿kawehi.reviews
Oct 24, 2014 ✿kawehi.reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta-read
Yay!! I got to BETA read this book! Thank you to the authors and Indiesage PR for that opportunity!! I hope Stone and the rest of Grayson's "brothers" get their own stories as well!!

Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar
Jun 19, 2015 Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, series

This book. I don't even know what to say. I started reading and "literally" could not stop.
The beginning:

The forbidden aspect, or what have you, of Abby the volunteer teacher and Grayson the prisoner and their sexual tension had me going up in flames.

The middle:

Is, is this romance? I kept thinking this over and over. If you read the warning in the book blurb, it clearly states "dubious consent". Great warning but I still don't know how to deal with reading and liking a fictional incident that s
Gitte & Jenny - TotallyBookedBlog
Nov 15, 2014 Gitte & Jenny - TotallyBookedBlog rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

1/2 Stars

‘Did they take what makes him human? What makes him civilised.”

G&J:
This story….THIS STORY!!! Read it and become oblivious to everything around you as you live and breathe the gripping journey of Grayson and Abby which begins in the least romantic of places; prison. Prisoner tested us at times yet captivated us in equal measure. When you’ve not had anything remotely good happen to you or possessed something ‘yours alone’ in life; when that something special comes along would you no
Jamie
LOVED this one!!
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Jul 20, 2015 Jenny - TotallybookedBlog rated it really liked it

4 1/2 Stars

'Did they take what makes him human? What makes him civilised.'

G&J: This story….THIS STORY!!! Read it and become oblivious to everything around you as you live and breathe the gripping journey of Grayson and Abby which begins in the least romantic of places; prison. Prisoner tested us at times yet captivated us in equal measure. When you’ve not had anything remotely good happen to you or possessed something ‘yours alone’ in life; when that something special comes along would you
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange of honest review

4 "Criminals & Captive" Stars

#PRISONER

This is no ordinary love story nor a fairytale romance. There is no damsel in distress and a shining white knight coming to the rescue. But this is a love story that will captivate you and open your minds that love can be found in the most unlikely place: PRISON. Love knows no bounds. There is no right or wrong reason to fall in love but the heart knows what it wants. In a world where lines of love, passion a
Amber Rose
Apr 28, 2016 Amber Rose added it
Shelves: beta-read
Big thank you to Skye Warren, for allowing me to be one of the beta readers for this.

I want to read this one more time before I write up a review. From what I beta read this might be my favorite book from Skye Warren yet.

photo Follow the Readng Rom Blog_zpsznrkrqks.png
 photo Like the Reading ROom Blog on Fb_zpsnigjcua7.png
❤️ Diana ❤️
Dec 13, 2014 ❤️ Diana ❤️ rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read
Not sure what to say. I enjoyed it very much so I gave it 4 stars. It wasn't the typical good girl falls for bad boy convict. I'm fact I fell for Grayson way before Abby. Seriously this book made my heart ache. Grayson is different then most of the bad "monster" characters. He's so vulnerable and hurt and broken. I can feel his inner struggle, him not understanding what's ok and what's not. His form, of protectiveness is very fucked up that it breaks my heart. His past is not easy to read cause ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Oct 25, 2014 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
They say there are two types of fear – the kind that has you running far, far away, and the kind that shakes you so deeply that you can’t look away.

For me, Grayson is the second kind of fear.

I got pretty excited when I heard Annika Martin (aka Carolyn Crane) and Skye Warren were collaborating to write a dark, intense book that features a hero in prison and a heroine who is a college sophomore. I love, love, love Carolyn Crane’s romantic suspense, and I’m also hooked on Skye Warren, although she
  • Don't Let Go (Dark Nights, #2)
  • Vanquish (Deliver, #2)
  • Inferno (SKALS, #4)
  • The Sect (Wicked Trinity, #1)
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • I Know What Love Is (I Know..., #1)
  • Beyond Revenge (Ransom, #2)
  • The Abduction of Kelsey
  • Dark Night of the Soul
  • Madeleine Abducted (The Estate, #1)
  • Uncovering You 4: Retribution (Uncovering You, #4)
  • Heat
  • After
  • Debt
  • Serial, Volume One (Serial, #1)
  • Twisted Rose (The Darkness Trilogy, #3)
  • Dirty Ugly Toy
  • Wrong (Wrong, #1)
I’m a NYT bestselling author living a stone’s throw away from the Mississippi with my awesome husband and two cats in a home full of plants, sunshine and books. I'm heavy into writing love stories about criminals--some of them are dirty and fun (my Kinky bank robbers!) others are dark and intense (Prisoner!)

I also write gritty romantic suspense as the RITA-award winning author Carolyn Crane.
More about Annika Martin...

“I can’t tell him no. Some people have a relationship that’s sunshine and roses. Ours is darkness and vengeance.” 8 likes
“She’s mine to do what I want with, but that also means she’s mine to care for, to protect.” 5 likes