Start by marking “Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4)

Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers #4)

Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin, beauticians, private eyes, and best friends, solve a murder and recover stolen library funds with new friends when invited to speak at an investigator's convention in New York City.
Published May 27th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes

Julie (jjmachshev)
May 30, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release: June 2008

How can any red-blooded woman pass up a book with the title “Don’t Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes”? The latest offering by Dixie Cash is a hilarious caper starring two of the most unlikely private eyes you’d ever want to meet: Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin, owners of the Styling Station Beauty Salon in Salt Lick, Texas! I would definitely classify this book in the genre of madcap mystery.

I began smiling when I read
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Jan 09, 2009 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
This book had my laughing at bunch. The best laugh I had in a while was when Edwina and Debbie Sue were in the airport. Let's just say Ed and the meds you take for motion sickness are not something to mix together.
In the end, Debbie Joe and Edwina get their man with a little help from a NY cop and a Texas librarian.
Sandy Vaughan
Mar 27, 2011 Sandy Vaughan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened
I don't know that you need to be a Texan to enjoy this as my Scottish born husband and I had to stay up until it was finished! Maybe you just have to enjoy laughing. What we have is two lady investigators/beauticians who have been invited to New York City as guest speakers at a conference for professional investigators or those who think they might want to enter the field. And in the city we have a killer of prostitues. Now how can you mix this up to be funning? I won't tell but I will recommend ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
The 4th installation of Edwina (Ed) and Debbie Sue's life in Salt Lick Texas. this time the ladies are on their way to NY for a PI convention as speakers. Of course someone dies while they are there and they help solve the crime.

This is a cross between chick lit and a cozy mystery.
Helen
May 01, 2009 Helen rated it liked it
Enjoyable detective novel with two main characters that have a great sense of humor and their visit to New York City is quite an experience.
Mendy
Jun 30, 2008 Mendy rated it really liked it
I am now on the Boarders band wagon! They keep Dixie Cash books in regular fiction not romance!! Fun book that was pretty easy to predict but love the hiumor and the bigger than life TEas gals!
Kristen Smith
May 10, 2009 Kristen Smith rated it it was amazing
Light hearted & funny- I laughed and laughed
Buhlebemvelo Mhlophe
Nov 10, 2016 Buhlebemvelo Mhlophe rated it it was amazing
Humor is always the best, Dixie provides the reader with such anticipation you want to skip a chapter to find out what happened!
Marty
Sep 14, 2016 Marty rated it liked it
This is one of those fun books where you must not look for hidden meanings or even consider how realistic things are ….. Just relax your brain and enjoy the ride. Debbie Sue and Edwina, two best friends/beauty shop owners are also private investigators. They run their small operation “Domestic Equalizers” in the back area of their beauty shop. (How all this happened is apparently the subject of the previous three books.) They live in the small town of Salt Lick, Texas. Their husbands apparently ...more
Anne Trinkle
Sep 27, 2016 Anne Trinkle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FUNNY, SOUTHERN, SUSPENSEFUL AND JUST A GREAT AUDIOBOOK! Does contain foul language so if you can't handle some trash talkin Texas women who are amateur sleuths, don't read this. But if you want to laugh and hear some funny southern sayings and just be entertained, get this audiobook and check it out.
Kathleen Hagen
Don’t Make Me Choose Between You and my Shoes, by Dixie Cash, narrated by Peggity Price, produced by Lone Star Books, owned by Recorded Books, and downloaded from audible.com.

This is the fourth book in the series, but it’s my first read. I’ve seen the names of these books for a while now and laughed out loud at every title, which sounds like the first lines of country music songs. I needed a lighter moment so I finally read one. This series is about two women, Debbie Sue, and Edwina, (ed) are co
Tasha
Debbie Sue and Edwina head to the Big Apple to speak about their PI skills at a national conference. Of course trouble and mayhem follow in their wake.

Edwina, afraid of flying, has to get overly medicated for the big trip. She causes great embarrassment to herself and "Deputy Do," I mean Debbie Sue, before they even set foot on the plane.

When they do arrive in NYC they find that someone is killing prostitutes. Leave it to Edwina to befriend one. Edwina strikes up a conversation with working girl
Sandie
Dec 25, 2015 Sandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: dixie-cash
Well, I have always enjoyed this series. Its not one of my very favorite but they are good books with a good sense of humor. I think this 4th installment is the best one I have read so far and I laughed out loud at several parts in the book. They are just fun and easy going books.

Edwina and Debbie Sue get into some real interesting escapades, there is not a moments boredom around them! This book takes place in New York instead of Salt Lick Texas and some of the regular characters like the ladie
Vickie
Jun 24, 2010 Vickie rated it it was amazing
Lordy! This one is the best one yet of the series!!! The mystery started a lot earlier and the romance was fairly mellow. I honestly don't mind when the mystery starts or how much romance goes on...so long as Debbie Sue and Edwina do their thang, this reader/listener is a happy pup.
Debbie Sue and Edwina are asked to head up to New York City to speak at a convention. There are some gaffes and snafu's, but that's to be expected. And I kept cracking up throughout. Bless their hearts, they take NYC
Terry
The Dixie Cash series (this is the 2nd I've read) are what I'd call high-comfort reads. Totally chick-lit with a whisper of empowerment for the small-town girl in many of us. This has the bonus of a young beautiful librarian who wants to become a private eye (having been inspired by the lead duo, Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin). This unlikely threesome end up at a national private investigators convention in NYC and trouble ensues. We've got a rogue cop on the loose and he's way ...more
Gina Panettieri
Sep 04, 2012 Gina Panettieri rated it really liked it
Nobody does Texas humorous womens fiction like Dixie Cash. This time the Domestic Equalizers are invited to NY to speak at a private investigators' conference, and as only Debbie Sue and Ed can do, quickly turn theory into practice when a serial killer who has been stalking the City's prostitues targets someone they befriend. With a karoke contest turned riot, a slight case of breaking-and-entering requiring the bomb squad and a block-wide evacuation, and a sweet romance for a newfound (Texan) ...more
Linda
Mar 22, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
Another escapade for the Domestic Equalizers. This one takes them to New York City where they have been invited to speak at a National Association of Private Investigators convention. True to course, Debbie Sue and Edwina find themselves caught up in a serial murder case. Along the way, they befriend a fellow Texan, Celina, who has traveled to NYC to attend the convention, and Cher, an undercover cop posing as a lady of the night. Amid hilarity, raunchiness, murder, and mayhem, the girls leave ...more
Judith
Jun 26, 2012 Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-laugh
This book was so much fun. I absolutely LOVED it. How could I not? I feel like I've known Debbie Sue and Edwina my whole life. This is the first book I've read featuring the 'Domestic Equalizers'. Private Investigators who also run a Beauty Salon on the other side of their office in Salt Lick Texas. I laughed out loud with their misadventures in New York City. It was an easy read and I just flew through the pages. It was delightful and so much fun.....can't wait to read the other books featuring ...more
Susan
Debbie Sue and Edwina own a hair salon and a detective agency in Salt Lick, TX, and are delighted when they're asked to speak at the big private investigator convention in New York City. Once there, they meet Celina, a fellow-Texan, who is looking for adventure before her even tinier home town kills her with boredom. The three good-hearted, if sometimes rowdy, women meet a lot of people in the Big Apple, from a handsome cop who zeroes in on Celina to a friendly, feisty prostitute to a serial ...more
adlin
Oct 06, 2008 adlin rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read. It had humor/comedy, but also a couple of scenes at the end that had me holding my breath. I've never been to New York City, but I have been to small town Texas and lived in the DFW area for about 8 years, so I had a good feel for that. I enjoyed that the main characters were from small towns and their impressions of the big city.

While there was a mystery, this isn't built like a traditional mystery. It's still there, but almost in a secondary sense to the story.

I'm l
Mandy Moore
May 17, 2012 Mandy Moore rated it it was amazing
Loved it.. These girls are a hoot..I remember thinking to myself when Ed & Debbie Sue did something hilarious that they reminded of times spent with my sister & all the laughs we've had.. how we can say stuff to one another that nobody else in the world better even think of saying..lol.. then come to find out, the book is written by two sisters... I will definately be reading others by Dixie Cash!!
TcH
Nov 20, 2008 TcH rated it it was amazing
OH my gosh this book was SO GOOD. I was OUT LOUD laughing through the whole thing. I had it with me at the gym. I am sure people thought I was nuts. I was reading it while Kambrie was napping, afraid I would wake her up b/c I was laughing so hard. THIS BOOK ROCKS. I read it in 1.5 days! I could NOT put it down. I was literally holding my breath during a few of the parts. great book MAKE SURE YOU READ IT!!!!
I'm going to go request the rest of the books by this author at my library!
Anne Hawn Smith
This is the second book by this author that I have read. Debbie Sue and Edwina from a tiny Texas town have been invited to New York to a detectives conference. They are detectives who operate a beauty parlor along with their detective agency. This is a cozy Southern mystery and has lots of local color. There is romance, hi-jinks and some pretty good reasoning all wrapped up in one lighthearted mystery.
Suzanne
Jul 17, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommended to Suzanne by: Cincinnati Public Library
This was a hoot and a holler's worth of fun. I'll definitely have to check out the earlier books in the series! My only teeny weeny complaint is that there is quite a bit of dropping the "F bomb." And not that that word bothers me - sometimes it's the only and right word. It just seems out of place in this lighthearted mystery.
Amy Kuczewski
Aug 11, 2012 Amy Kuczewski rated it it was amazing
These girls are hilarious, and the way they talk to each other sounds just like me and my friends! No spoilers, but these smart cookies know how to work around the system to get things done, and look FABULOUS (besides a little bit of pigeon poop!) doing it :) I definitely have to keep this series in my 'to read' list, I didn't realize when I started it that it was the 4th in a series!
Anita
Jul 11, 2010 Anita rated it really liked it
too funny! there is a good bit of cussing, though, it may be too much for some folks. the dialog is very realistic; i can easily imagine overhearing friends talking this way. The main characters are from Texas
and they are private investigators, mainly in the domestic arena. They
do manage to get involved in murder this book. good book.
Pat
Sep 16, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it
This was a funny book about 2 texas girls from Salt Lick, Texas that run a PI Agency. They are invited to New York City for the big PI convention & meet up with a couple of other females. Needless to say I fell in love with the characters and the two funniest ones were Debbie Sue & Edwina (Ed). There is a murder as well.
Beth
Aug 20, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
I'm pretty sure I got these out of order, but these are two clever characters who remind me a great deal of a number of Texans that I know. Mystery. It wasn't easy to figure out, but it was well drawn. Definitely worth a read, but wouldn't likely read it again.
Carolyn Ledy
Apr 05, 2010 Carolyn Ledy rated it liked it
i randomly picked this book off the mystery display, the boots made me think of my southern sisters, and after reading the cover i thought it would be a little janet evonevich-y. it wasn't bad, had a lot of funny parts to it, but stephanie plum they were not.
Misty
Jul 14, 2010 Misty rated it liked it
This was book was okay. It took me a little while to get through it because I've been really busy. It's about women from Texas and I couldn't read it without the twangiest Texas accent coming into my head..lol.
  • Big Hair and Flying Cows
  • The Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul
  • An Unexpected Song
  • Redemption (Blood and Honor, #3)
  • The Book of Illumination
  • A Body to Die For (Savannah Reid, #14)
  • A Spirited Tail (Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery, #2)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Crab Cakes (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #4)
  • Broken Bodies
  • Nip, Tuck, Dead (Pauline Sokol, #5)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • The Big Bad Wolf Tells All
  • Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)
  • Mirror, Mirror (Love Inspired)
  • Pillow Talk (Love, New Orleans Style, #2)
  • How to Trap a Tycoon
Dixie Cash is Pamela Cumbie and her sister Jeffery McClanahan. They grew up in West Texas during the great oil boom, an era filled with "real-life fictional" characters who cry to be written about. Pam has always had a zany sense of humor, and Jeffery has always had a dry wit. Surrounded by cowboys and steeped in country-western music, when they can stop laughing long enough, they work together ...more
More about Dixie Cash...

Domestic Equalizers (8 books)
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
  • Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5)
  • Our Red Hot Romance Is Leaving Me Blue (Domestic Equalizers)
  • I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave
  • You Can Have My Heart, but Don't Touch My Dog (The Domestic Equalizers Book 8)