Start by marking “Yatrik” as Want to Read:
Yatrik

Yatrik

‘Anushtup Chatterjee, I am really sorry to have to tell you this. But you have died.’

Anushtup Chatterjee is thirty-two years old.

He hates his mother. His job is a dead end. And his girlfriend has left him.

Then one silent moonlit night, he wakes up in a deserted field in the middle of nowhere, with no recollection of where he is or how he got there. His wallet is gone. So i
Published 2014 by Westland Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Yatrik, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yatrik

Avishek
Nov 04, 2014 Avishek rated it did not like it
I am one of the oldest and, perhaps, one of the most loyal followers of Greatbong a.k.a Arnab Ray. In fact it would not be wrong to say that my style of writing carries a significant of inspiration from his brand of “snark” or, as puritans would call it, black humour.

Hence I was one of the happier human beings on planet Earth when May I Hebb Your Attention Pliss came out in print. While it wasn't much more than an extension of his much loved blog (including a rehash of some of the popular articl
Smriti Lamech
Sep 21, 2015 Smriti Lamech rated it really liked it
I had Yatrik lying on my bedside table for more than 6 months before I picked it up, and that too, only because I know the author slightly (that’s my disclaimer, by the way). I was stuck in a period history genre and I just couldn’t bring myself to read it because it was such a departure from what I was in the mood for.
I struggled through the first chapter, which is the mood setter, unable to snap out of my period phase. It just refused to hold my attention. The second chapter was as laborious.
Vinay Joshi
Jun 18, 2015 Vinay Joshi rated it it was amazing
"Have you ever wanted to know what happens to your life when you are not looking?", this line itself speaks so much about this book, which talks about only actions and consequences. The fundamental of time is abstract and we never realize that. We human beings just want to know what are we doing with our time, but is that really important? What if there is another place where the time is not even a dimension? Will we then think about only actions and consequences, perhaps.

The setup of the book
Swati Saxena
Oct 09, 2015 Swati Saxena rated it it was ok
Bad storytelling!
Kaushik Das
Nov 21, 2016 Kaushik Das rated it really liked it
Quite an interesting read. The initial premise of the narrative may sound cliched but the characters and the story tend to grow on you as you read on. The book probably makes you reflective most of the time although it has parts which are quite fast-moving (I read through it in a day). Being from Kolkata I related to lot of the physical locations in the novel. However, you don't need to know Kolkata or India as such, to relate to the story. The novel definitely has some high points and does ...more
Shrabonti
Feb 28, 2015 Shrabonti rated it liked it
Yatrik was lying on my bookshelf for a long time. I didn't get around to reading it because (full disclosure) I feel slightly uncomfortable reading books written by friends and Arnab is a friend. The reasons for this discomfort are vague - I feel I may get insights into their minds and psyches I may not really wish for, or I may not want to disappoint the friend by saying I didn't like the book if it didn't quite work for me, etc.

Well, I did get a ton of insight into Arnab's mind by reading this
Nishant Bhagat
Sep 17, 2016 Nishant Bhagat rated it really liked it
When 'greatbong' writes a book you expect it to be funny but hard hitting just like his blogs. When I bought this book I knew this was a totally different genre he was attempting and he has surely come up trumps.

Written in a simple and fluid fashion without trying to be too 'intellectual' about it is what Arnab does fabulously. Though the plot does get predictable at times he has ensured some twists along the way to keep the interest going.

The most powerful part of the book though is the climax.
Tapabrata
Oct 15, 2014 Tapabrata rated it really liked it
Yatrik means a traveller. And the book focuses on the journey of Anushtup, the main protagonist of this book, the journey of his life. Although the book started with a death in the first chapter but Yatrik eventually talks about the life.
Anushtup is a typical Bengali guy. Like any one of us he gets confused about life, makes glaring mistakes while judging someone, get disillusioned of politics once he knows all the dirty tricks of it and has a huge ego which make him leave his home and stay in a
Hathyasaibaba
Oct 18, 2014 Hathyasaibaba rated it really liked it
I've spent many hours being entertained by Arnab Ray's blog.

And so, when I'd read an initial excerpt of Yatrik which describes a Durga Puja celebration in detail, I groaned inwardly fearing he was treading the 'nostalgic NRI romanticises his past' territory that has spawned so many books I consider unreadable and awful.

However, the concept and the first couple of chapters piqued my curiosity.

While I'm not extremely clued in on Indian writing in English — row after row of shelves with book title
Nitin Vadher
Oct 30, 2014 Nitin Vadher rated it really liked it
Best” a thought provoking book. This book is something like watching your life as a movie, where you are given a choice to select three incidents of your life. Anushtup Chatterjee the protagonist of this novel selects two childhood events and one adult. Something like Anushtup is doing his own Post-mortem of his events or rather important incidents of his life.

The way of expressing this whole event is excellent i.e. life after death is totally outstanding and this is first time I have read some
Arindam Mukherjee
Oct 19, 2014 Arindam Mukherjee rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to meet Arnab during the Yatrik book launch in Pune. In that meet he mentioned that one of his motivations to pen Yatrik was to leave something for his daughter as a legacy.

I was constantly reminded of this exchange while reading Yatrik, as nuances of filial relationship are a constant leitmotif throughout this novel. Through Anushtup and his father, or Anustup and Atulya Da, or Poonam and her father or (SPOILERS) Anustup's own afterlife epiphany on realizing two lost fatherhoods
Neha Srivastava
Nov 16, 2014 Neha Srivastava rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
I started reading this book mostly as a breather between intensely heavy Political Commentary I had been reading lately, but it gave me so much more to think. Personally, I have always felt that it is easy to weave complex narratives, to complicate the plot, involve several characters to create a powerful story, but what touches you most deeply is when a simple narration leaves you with a powerful message. It is for this reason that O' Henry's stories have always stayed with me. And I know this ...more
Urmilesh dixit
I started on this book during a plane ride, and was somewhat unhappy that the plane was on time - since that meant I had to get away from the book for a while.

You could probably divide the book into three logical parts, and it kept getting better as you moved from one part to the next. Even if you account for the limitation of needing to set up the story, the first part of the book wasn't really as taut as I would have liked. You would need to stick with the book and not give up (which I think
Mithun
Nov 16, 2014 Mithun rated it really liked it
4.5 actually, for the nice wrap up at the end. The Mine was a fabulous book, perhaps the first in modern Indian Writing that truly lived up to its billing. Yatrik - for me at least - was going to be a 'hatke' book, because of the theme that the book is based on. It does follow some cliched formulas in the romantic parts but I don't think we can get a different kind of love story from the Indian writing scene so I tend to forgive such stuff in our books. The core material of the book is well ...more
Priyanka Roy Banerjee
The book begins promisingly, with the revelation that Anushtup Chatterjee, 32, male has died and woken up by a common-faced old man on the other side of death. Their conversation follows, with Anushtup obviously not believing that he's dead. Arnab has crafted these initial chapters with seamless ease. Anushtup's satire is much like a drug-tripping man in his early thirties, dissatisfied with his life and even his death!

Yatrik is a philosophical fiction, introspective at its best. Not in a Paolo
Nishtha
Oct 06, 2014 Nishtha rated it really liked it
Having read The Mine, I had high hopes from Yatrik, and I was not disappointed. The book paces itself rather well, starting with Anushtup Chatterjee being told he's dead and the revealing incidences that led him to make choices that caused him to be where he is.

Characters in Yatrik are not perfect; they're grey and you instantly identify with the misunderstood ones, the ones who compromise on ideals and the tough-on-luck Anushtup. Like The Mine, though, I wish certain characters were a little m
Anyayadhish
Nov 27, 2014 Anyayadhish rated it really liked it
I have been reading Greatbong for few years now and he never fails to disappoint in any of his blogs. The first book "May I hebb...." was a delight to read for the 90's kid that I am. I skipped "The Mine" coz I am not fan of horror and was waiting for him to release the next one. Yatrik is a pleasant read which makes the reader introspect his/her life before each chapter. The journey of the dead man from denial to acceptance while crossing the milestones of forgiveness makes you think deeply ...more
Nabanita Dutta
Nov 11, 2014 Nabanita Dutta rated it did not like it
Good teacher - bad teacher. Politics is dirty. Life is shitty. Protagonist with a great idealism n noble heart. Martyr complex. Oh and angry kid who thinks his mother is evil. These are some of the main points that Yatrik tells us. Ohhh such great things, right? Yeah... Pretty average. Yatrik is not a good book and not in any level a thought provoking one. Off let, area ray's writing seems lazy and amateurish. The storyline is very simple and not at all appealing. The style of writing has ...more
Writersmelon

Yatrik is a philosophical fiction, introspective at its best. Not in a Paolo
Diptakirti Chaudhuri
Oct 04, 2014 Diptakirti Chaudhuri rated it it was amazing
Yatrik is a brilliant mix of high philosophy and a fast-paced narrative.
Based on the premise that our life happens when we are not there, the book is the story of a dead man and his going back to three key events of his life. The book starts off in 1980s Calcutta and traces three decades of the protagonist's life - giving a ringside view of the city's social, political and economic decline by using fictionalised accounts of real-life incidents.
Like in his previous novel (The Mine), Arnab Ray do
Sushma Hegde
Oct 27, 2014 Sushma Hegde rated it liked it
Yatrik has an interesting concept, What happens when you are not looking! Story of Anushtup starts ,unfolds in fast pace and teaches you many memorable quotes. It leaves you with something to ponder on and stays with you.
I am afraid if I try to tell anything more, I might reveal too much.

The not so good part is narration and characters which reminded me of the many Doordarshan telefilms I had seen in late 80s and early 90s. Author loves that time and he loves those movies and he would definitely
Sudakshina Bhattacharjee
Oct 10, 2015 Sudakshina Bhattacharjee rated it really liked it
A fast, vivid and a whirlwind of a novel that makes you think about life, death and that odd transient phase between the two stages of the human life cycle.
You don't have to be religious or spiritual to get the point of the novel here, but you would need to know a little about Kolkata and the Bengali way of life to fully enjoy the story and more particularly the way Anushtup Chatterjee, i.e. the main protagonist, sees everything in life.
The only thing I would suggest is to get a better editor/
Jairam Mohan
Oct 28, 2014 Jairam Mohan rated it really liked it
Every once in a while you get to read a book that deals with extremely relatable characters, real life situations, the everyday conundrums that normal people like you and me face. Yatrik is one such book where the author takes us on a journey of three pivotal situations and occurences in the protagonist Anushtup Chatterjee's life which were responsible for what he finally ended up as.

What I loved about this book was that it left me asking more and more questions about my life so far, the choices
Angshuman
Jul 15, 2015 Angshuman rated it liked it
Interesting concept. There were characters who were at times too idealistic or too cliche'd. The poor-teacher, the power-hungry-politician, sacrificing-mother etc, but will oversee those, as am a great fan of his blog and will gladly dig into his writing any day. Was not disappointed, but did miss his typical black humor, writ large all over his blogs over the years. Overall a good, breezy, thought-provoking read.
Sayali Kale
Nov 16, 2014 Sayali Kale rated it really liked it
Starting with philosophy as appetizer and ending with spirituality as dessert, Yatrik has all the salt, spice and bitterness of life as its main course. The book just reinforces that life can be highly unpredictable, that every person you meet have their own share of a story, positive and negative. The book truly transforms every reader into a Yatrik, forcing one to take a second look at their lives. A perfect fast paced non fiction book!
Deboleena
Aug 14, 2015 Deboleena rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it. It is so beautifully written.
Its a story of mundane tragedies. The theme is "What happens in our life when we are not looking". ARanb ray took my through the by leanes of Kolkata. Not a romanticized version of it, but the one I see every time I go back to the city. The humidity, the new malls, the Pujo of Park street
Sriram Ravichandran
Dec 20, 2014 Sriram Ravichandran rated it liked it
I follow Arnab on twitter and he took his followers along in his journey of writing and launching this book.

What i liked:
Fast paced read alright. Arnab's take on what you see is not necessarily what u perceive it to be. The story beautifully blends with the Kolkata setting.

what i didnt like:
a few cliched settings
Manjulika P.Sehgal
Yatrik is a book that churns out quite a few phenomenal events into a journey – of a dead man. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to wake up from a dream and realize that you’re dead? Well, the book is about how a dead man evaluating three major decisions of his life and wanting to change them.Overall, it would say it was an interesting read and much recommended for all my friends.
Amogha
Jul 12, 2015 Amogha rated it liked it
Shelves: my-shelf
As always Arnab's writing is smooth with many punch lines. But many of a times I felt its bit circumstancial and dragging. But many surprising events managed to stick to its grip till the end. Well its worth a try as because Arnab has explored new shores of ideas and storyline in his own way. Reading Yatrik was relaxing, hope he brings much better stuffs next time. Good luck Arnab Ray.
Krishna Agarwal
Sep 05, 2015 Krishna Agarwal rated it really liked it
A good book. leaves you with a few possibilities about the unknown but also tells you you were born alone... you will go alone... everything that happens to you in between is the result of your own actions.

You don't know everything. What you know is tinted in the color of your perceptions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Yatrik - A Dickensian novel 1 6 Dec 12, 2014 08:12AM
Arnab Ray, better known as Greatbong, is one of India's most widely read bloggers who blogs at Random Thoughts Of A Demented Mind. He is known for his sarcastic takes on the Indian film industry, Indian politics and society in general. His blog was awarded the "Indiblog of the Year" at Indibloggies in 2006[1] and 2008. He has written for several media outlets like the Washington Post, Outlook ...more
More about Arnab Ray...

“You want to help. That’s fine but do you know how you want to help? The intent may be good, but without the way, you are lost.” 0 likes
“And life, and relationships too, are somewhat like a song. If you cannot hit the notes at the right time, you go out of tune.” 0 likes