Start by marking “Motion for Murder (Jamie Winters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Motion for Murder (Jamie Winters, #1)

Motion for Murder (Jamie Winters #1)

"Move over Stephanie Plum—there's a new girl in town! Jamie Winters is smart, sassy, and laugh-out-loud hilarious. Mix one fun mystery, some fantastic romantic chemistry, and witty quips throughout for a sure-fire winner! Who knew a lawyer's office could be so funny?"
~ Gemma Halliday, New York Times bestselling author

Jamie Winters loathes her job as a secretary in the sl
Published September 24th 2014 by Gemma Halliday Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Motion for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motion for Murder

Kathy
Sep 26, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC eBook in exchange for an honest review. This is the first book I have read by Kelly Rey and it most certainly will not be my last! This is the first book in what promises to be a fun and exciting mystery series. I loved Jamie Winters and the crazy cast of characters in her world especially her sexy landlord Curt and her so-desperate-for-marriage sister Sherri! This book keeps you guessing as you laugh out loud at some of the situations Jamie finds herself in while trying to ...more
Sandra
Nov 18, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
Mildly entertaining but I found Jamie kind of a doormat. It annoyed me how she let everyone order her around and never spoke up for herself. Wish she had of had more back bone. I also found her determination to investigate a bit inexplicable. There is nothing to suggest the police wouldn't be perfectly capable, why not leave it to them. I found the relationship between Curt & Jamie confusing also. At first Curt is the one grilling her for info and insisting she figure out what is going on ...more
Bonnie
Nov 08, 2016 Bonnie rated it liked it
I read a lot of these 'cozy mysteries' this summer because I bought 10 first of the series books for $1.00! It's been interesting. This one had me laughing out loud, which gives it a definite three stars. Good mystery, somewhat ridiculous characters.
Patricia
Oct 01, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
This author and her stories are new to me. I found the narrator extremely funny and perfect for the parts that she played. The story itself was engaging and honestly it had me going all over the place I couldn't figure out who did what. It was full of suspense, humor, with a great cast of characters. I'm actually looking forward to the next one to see where the relationship goes.
L A Keller
Jan 22, 2015 L A Keller rated it it was ok
This cozy mystery felt very similar to another book I recently reviewed (Handbags and Homicide). In Motion for Murder, the main character hates her job at a law firm where one of the partners is sleazier than humanly possible. It's pretty obvious from the first time Dougie steps into a scene that someone has to kill him soon, or the reader will be tempted to do the deed. He wasn't simply annoying, he was sexist. His behavior would never survive in the real world where he would invite a sexual ...more
Nancy
Dec 16, 2014 Nancy added it
3.69 · rating details · 67 ratings · 9 reviews
~ Gemma Halliday, New York Times bestselling author

Jamie Winters loathes her job as a secretary in the sleaziest law firm in New Jersey. Trouble is, someone else loathes the whole fir
Danielle Eisner
Sep 21, 2014 Danielle Eisner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamie is a secretary in a sleazy law firm. When the most loathed lawyer in the firm, Dougie is murdered, Jamie is forced into investigating the murder by Dougie’s scary wife. He was lowdown and conniving and pretty much every body he met had motive to kill him. She has to look into her coworkers and friends to catch the killer before they kill again.

The book was a little slow at first. It took longer than is typical in a murder mystery to get to the actual murder. I kept thinking the murder was
Shirley Worley
Sep 05, 2016 Shirley Worley rated it liked it
Enjoyable for the first book in the series, though a bit slow at the beginning of the story. The characters were as varied as you would see in any office setting, and the lawyers, well, let's leave it at that. Jamie, the main character seemed a bit mousy at first, but stepped up to the plate to find out who killed one of the partners in the law firm where she works. Jamie occasionally runs her list of suspects by her sister, but her sister's focus is centered around how to get a husband. Talk ...more
Julia
Jun 14, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, thank you to Gemma Halliday publishing.

I really loved this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I had not read the 1st book in the series so did not know what to expect. The series revolves around Jamie Winters who is lucky in love with the hunky Curt but seems to attract murder. Jamie ends up a suspect in the murder of a body she and Curts niece find, so she decides to take matters into her own hands and try to solve the m
Anna Snow
Oct 09, 2014 Anna Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We've all had that one job that we couldn't stand, but Jamie's murderous place of employment takes it to a whole other level.

This is the first book I've read by Kelly Rey. It was quite good. I enjoyed seeing Jamie grow from shy and reserved, to finally growing some backbone and taking things into her own hands. Especially where her hunky landlord, friend, and neighbor Curt is concerned.
Jamie is easy to relate to, the story is fast paced, and the whodunit was a brilliant surprise. Hopefully ther
Lin
Aug 30, 2016 Lin rated it really liked it
How much stress can there be as a secretary in the law offices of Parker, Dennis and Heath? Well Missy Clark, Jaime Winter and Paige Ford can tell you. Some of their clients are less than favorable and each day a new surprise arises. One of the partners enjoys doing schleppy commercials to bring in those less than favorable clients. The other partners don’t care for this marketing technique, but they love the money.

One day while dealing with Torts and other legal documentation, the staff had to
Andrea Stoeckel
Oct 03, 2014 Andrea Stoeckel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this eBook after reading posts about it online. What a hoot!

Kind of stuck in the law firm from hell, Jamie does a lot of things to keep the partners happy, including defusing the clients from another planet who react to bad news with guns, knives, you name it. But the lawyers don't care. They do their thing on the second floor why the three secretaries do the daily grind.

Then one of the lawyers dies. Now what? Everyone is a suspect. Now Jamie and her sister deal with annoyingly lov
Mehrunisa Salim
Jun 22, 2016 Mehrunisa Salim rated it really liked it
I have to say, I like Jamie. Even with her flaws, and I admire her being a good older sister. However, I think she should think harder about who she's trying to help, because to me it didn't look like her sister was using the help offered. Personally, I'm not a fan of her sister. I generally don't like desperate characters. But then again I only liked her parents and her landlord, I found her friends (aka coworkers) to be a bit fickle. But I honestly just enjoyed the story, because if I'm being ...more
Cindi Moss
this was a freebie cozy mystery by an unknown (to me) author, soni didnt have high hopes. so many if these have been duds lately, for me. so i was very surprised to find i enjoyed the story & the characters. the husband hungry sister was more than annoying & i dont appreciate characters that talk about how to manipulate a man & so on, so that took some enjoyment away for me. but i still enjoyed the story & was actually surprised by the killer.
also, i purchased the audio to liste
Jan
Aug 05, 2016 Jan rated it it was amazing
Begins with development of the major characters and, basically, setting the stage for the murder. Lots of snarks and sparks. Then comes the sleuthing. And more craziness. This is a great new heroine and the writing is as entrancing as it is funny. Almost wish I was into spoilers, but since I'm not, you'll just have to take my word for it.
I was lucky enough to get this as Whispersync on the cheap.
Jessica
Nov 02, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Cute mystery set in a law office

I liked the little self deprecating jabs at herself by the protagonist. As a lawyer, I identified with the story line (every lawyer's worst fear!) and I also identified with hard-working staff. I'll read the second book when it's related. It's a cute, silly, lighthearted murder mystery, which is all my overworked brain can handle.
Sandy Duncan
Mar 28, 2015 Sandy Duncan rated it it was amazing
Funny cozy mystery

Jamie, the heroine, who works at a really messed up law firm becomes a bumbling detective trying to solve the murder of one of the law partners. Curt, her landlord and downstairs neighbor is her best friend and potential love interest listens to all her theories. So read and enjoy the funny parts because I can't wait for the next one.
Debbie
Jul 28, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok
Killing the Weasel

Someone murders married, womanizing lawyer, Douglas Heath. Big surprise. Hardly anyone likes him in the law office, where he works and they're all suspects. He also has a dominating wife who is hard as nails. Since Jamie did like him enough to tolerate him, she feels the need to find out who killed him. Interesting story.
Kat Jones
Jul 18, 2016 Kat Jones rated it did not like it
I tried, really, I got about half way, but only one character has died so far an as whiney and stuck up as they are, all but maybe two need to bite the dust. They're all just too bitchy and obnoxious to enjoy the story when every page is spent waiting for a gruesome ending to the sister or any of the coworkers.
karen kincaid
Dec 20, 2014 karen kincaid rated it really liked it
Oily lawyers

I liked some aspects of this book. And some not so much. It sure has lawyers pegged. I found it rambling and redundant quite a bit too. A little too much rambling about food. The characters were fleshed out pretty well, just weren't very likable. Still, it was readable. Just no great mystery.
Margaret Skrivseth
Dec 13, 2014 Margaret Skrivseth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I really enjoyed this book. Earlier in my life, I spent way too much time working in law offices. This book captured that environment perfectly.

It is a must-read for anyone who enjoys a good mystery.
Melissa
Jul 04, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, wobble-2016
This was actually a really interested and funny read. The characters were a little underdeveloped and I felt lost a little throughout the books but all in all it was a good one.

I'll probably read the second in the series at some point. :)
Sandy Bartles
Jun 11, 2015 Sandy Bartles rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!

I truly enjoyed reading this book. Jamie and her family are so funny. Jamie works as a legal secretary for a firm where one of the partners is murdered. Just about everyone in the story is suspected by Jamie to be the murderer. I enjoyed watching her work through it!
Catherine Marie Meyer
Aug 29, 2016 Catherine Marie Meyer rated it it was amazing
slow!

I like the story, however it is slow going. the story is fun, but needs to move more quickly. I sometimes had trouble following the story line. I will however be interested in reading new stories by this author.
Suzatm
Oct 10, 2014 Suzatm rated it really liked it
Great new series

I really enjoy books that are humorous and mysteries and this book covered them all. I think the author did a good job with this first book and I look forward to her next one.
Michele Selwood
Oct 11, 2014 Michele Selwood rated it it was ok
Motion denied

This was a struggle to get through. The action was slow and the characters were unappealing. The plot made little sense and the killer turned out to be a minor character only mentioned in one paragraph. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Jul 08, 2015 Rebecca Hollingsworth rated it really liked it
Twists & Turns

There are so many twist and turns in this book that I really never saw that ending coming. A little humor, some suspense and a ending that leaves you wondering how you could have missed that!
Nadine
Jul 31, 2016 Nadine rated it really liked it
I got Motion for Murder in a book offer club. I had a blast reading this book, I like Ms. Rey's writing style and it was fairly well edited.....always a bonus pint with me. The plot was fun, characters amusing, gross, hateful and adorable. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Sirammaris
Jan 02, 2015 Sirammaris rated it did not like it
It had potential, but didn't live up to it. Everything felt rather flat. (I held on until about half the book, then gave up and just read the end.)
Bonnie Phelps
Jul 19, 2015 Bonnie Phelps rated it really liked it
A fun, light-hearted read that would be perfect for the beach or a day by the pool. I would have liked it more if Jamie had more of a backbone but characters like people are what they are.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dyed and Gone (An Azalea March Mystery Book 1)
  • Lethal Bond (Jamie Bond, #3)
  • With His Dying Breath
  • Pretty, Hip & Dead (Agnes Barton/Kimberly Steele Mystery, #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Murder at Honeysuckle Hotel (Trash to Treasure Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Post Pattern (Burnside Series #1)
  • Stilettos & Scoundrels (A Presley Thurman Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of Jessica Benson
  • Anything You Can Do
  • Witch Sense: Part Two
  • The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (Homer Kelly, #11)
  • Midnight Rides
  • Dying for Dinner Rolls (Chubby Chicks Club, #1)
  • Everywhere She Turns
  • Naughty or Nice (Erotic Romance)
  • When One Man Dies (Jackson Donne, #1)
  • In The Still Of the Night (Blonde Barracuda, #2)

Jamie Winters (3 books)
  • Motion for Malice (Jamie Winters, #2)
  • Motion for Madness (Jamie Winters Mysteries Book 3)