Start by marking “The Satanic Bridegroom” as Want to Read:
The Satanic Bridegroom

The Satanic Bridegroom

A crumbling journal found in an attic is discovered to have strange connections with a famous tale of horror, and weird fiction becomes terrifying fact.

In the year 1920, a scientific expedition discovers an undersea relic crafted by unknown hands. The mysteries found within its gates will send a beautiful young American on a journey across the Caribbean, from the city stre
Published July 15th 2014 by Booklocker.com (first published October 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Satanic Bridegroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Satanic Bridegroom

Mike Russell
Jul 31, 2016 Mike Russell rated it it was amazing
What I particularly loved about this book is the way in which the style and mood changes so flawlessly to reflect that change in the protagonist. I don't think I even noticed it happening until after I had finished the book.

To begin with, The Satanic Bridegroom is really funny, almost in an immature way.

Thanks Joe Gola for making each evening after work this week fun and exciting. The Satanic Bridegroom is the sort of book one could easily devour in one sitting, but I enjoyed settling down for
Faisal
Jun 16, 2016 Faisal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Weird fiction fans
Shelves: horror
The Satanic Bridegroom by Joe Gola

What a great story that I have been wanting to read for so long. I thought I was reading tales by Howard Phillips Lovecraft or Edgar Allan Poe but it is Joe Gola, the author of Satanic Bridegroom. I was highly impressed and I praise his ability to write something like this novel. Even though this is Gola’s first novel, it takes you back into the classical era of fantastic authors. The wording and the telling of the story is amazing, not everyone can do that.
This novel consists of two parts w
Jul 03, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and had to get my thoughts down right away. Firstly, I could not put it down.
Each section of the book was not only detrimental to the other sections but all were exciting to read. The forward was so unique and original I had to stop and research that this wasn't actually a true story.
Then what unfolds is such a clever and original idea that was so intriguing you can't not read it once you read the forward.
I honestly loved both main sections of the book that it would b
Corinne
Nov 25, 2014 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

Note: I received a free paperback edition of this novel through the GoodReads First-Reads program.

The Satanic Bridegroom (TSB) was a very, very well crafted book. I am a big H.P. Lovecraft fan (in fact, I just finished reading his complete works earlier this year), and I was impressed with how well this novel fit into the weird fiction canon. It really does have all the trappings of a traditional weird story: ancient civilizations, mysterious artifacts, old gods, etc. Gola even manages to throw
Gil
Dec 16, 2013 Gil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've known Joe Gola for awhile, and the fact that he's never written anything of length had always irritated me. Joe has a fantastic intellect and wit, and he can do some seriously amazing stuff if you give him a few minutes and a keyboard.

So when I saw that Joe had finally finished one of his life goals and written a 200+ page book, I immediately jumped at the chance.

It's always tricky when you check out a creative work of a friend or a colleague. Sometimes it comes out poorly, and you don't k
Karen
Nov 12, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway for reviewing purposes.

3.5 Stars

A creepy fun read to the edge of madness and into the abyss.

I did initially have trouble getting into this book but I believe that was because I did not like the first narrator(Sexton). It was probably a combination of his personality and the way he shares/talks about what he discovers. I found it difficult to get past this so the first half of the book seemed to drag on and on to me. I'm glad I stuck with
Threasa Jenkins
Jul 15, 2015 Threasa Jenkins rated it liked it
I don't think I've ever read a book written in this style, but I really liked it. I can't explain the style without giving too much away, so you have to read the book to find out what goes on. There's a bit of the supernatural in the book, along with relationships between people who have much to overcome. I just can't say how much I like how the book was written.

I won this book from goodreads First-Reads. I am so happy I did. Thank you.
Lynn Demsky
This tale is like none other I have ever read and consequently extremely difficult to describe! There’s fear, terror, earthquakes, undersea caverns, horrible jungles, bullfighters, horror, mystics --- truly capturing your imagination driving some of the participants insane and truly never the same again! A wonderful stay with you forever read!

The writing was just pure majestic and helped to put you right there with the participants!
Allison
Jul 11, 2015 Allison rated it really liked it
As the author knows, not my genre of fiction, but it was impossible not to like. So beautifully written that it couldn't help but be a page turner!
Thomas
Jul 29, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, dark, 2013
Joe Gola is a friend of mine. I've known for a long time that he's a good writer and can craft a good tale. I just didn't know how good he was until I read this book.

The Satanic Bridegroom is a story set in 1920 and modern times, in that the story is framed by a modern look at an old "Weird Fiction" (e.g., Lovecraftian) novel's new perspective based on a found diary that suggests this old novel was, in fact, nonfiction. So the story is actually in two parts: the first part is the journal that se
Avri
Apr 15, 2015 Avri rated it it was amazing
A breathless and engaging adventure yarn, anchored firmly in the Weird Fantasy / Horror tradition. The Satanic Bridegroom is cleverly framed - allowing the story to unfold using multiple well-conceived and unique voices - and there are a number of surprisingly humorous moments for observant readers. In all, an enthralling debut novel - I hope to read more from Joe Gola in the future.
Dan
Oct 30, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lovecraftian
An excellent read in the "Weird Fiction" genre. Exotic, engrossing, and unnerving. Also refreshingly not a post-modern retooling of a classic style but a paragon of it with subtle nods to the modern reader.
Kristy
Nov 10, 2013 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
A lot of fun to read. I found myself engrossed in the story, unable to put it down until I finished it.
Dennis Reagan
Dennis Reagan rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
The Irrepressible Crank
The Irrepressible Crank rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Bill Shubert
Mar 04, 2014 Bill Shubert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Lovecraftian adventure. If that's your thing, then this is a must-read.
Carrie M.
Carrie M. rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
David Molnar
David Molnar marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Holmes! Holmes
Holmes! Holmes marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Ronald
Ronald marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Jason Dlouhy
Jason Dlouhy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Zedsdead
Zedsdead marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Traa
Traa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Tammy Pooser
Tammy Pooser marked it as to-read
J
J marked it as to-read
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Amanda Doolin
Amanda Doolin marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Ms. Reader
Ms. Reader marked it as to-read
Misa
Misa marked it as to-read
William David Tepper
William David Tepper marked it as to-read
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Craig Riddle
Craig Riddle marked it as to-read
Doreen
Doreen marked it as to-read
Amber Johnson
Amber Johnson marked it as to-read
Pam Mooney
Pam Mooney marked it as to-read
Steve Sengele
Steve Sengele marked it as to-read
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Seanna Yeager
Seanna Yeager marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Jazmyn
Jazmyn marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Alternate Hilarities
  • The Farm
  • Voyager
  • Al-Thar
  • Seaside Romance (Holiday Harbor #3)
  • Redemption
  • The Blueprint (The Upgrade #1)
  • The Candle Room
  • Nothing To Lose
  • First Offense (Innocent Prisoners Project #4)
  • Fast Money (Shelby Nichols #2)
  • Pokergeist
  • An Unrestored Woman
  • Black Magick, Volume 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Diary of a Teenage Zombie
  • A Danger to Himself and Others (Bomb Squad NYC: Incident 1)
  • At The End of The Day
  • Before the Wind
Joe Gola was born in Brooklyn and raised in Connecticut. His hobbies include brooding silently upon the moors and board games. The Satanic Bridegroom is his first novel. He currently resides in a haunted ice cream truck in Connecticut, USA.
More about Joe Gola...