Start by marking “Key Out Of Time” as Want to Read:
Key Out Of Time

Key Out Of Time (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #4)

Key Out of Time is a book in the Time Trader Series. Ross Murdock and Arthur Ashe continue their grand adventure across Time and Space. Ross and Arthur are helped by Karara and two trained dolphins on the World of Hawaika, settled by Hawaiian and Polynesian settlers.
Published February 1st 1981 by Ace (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Key Out Of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Key Out Of Time

astaliegurec
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to rate Andre Norton's "Key Out of Time" at a Not Very Good 2 stars out of 5. I'm assuming that since this is the 4th book in her Time Traders series, you've already read the first three and are familiar with her writing. For the most part, the writing here is similar, though Ross is more angry, and there are actual mis-steps in the writing (a gun that miraculously appears and then disappears again, ocean dolphins swimming up a river). Slightly bigger problems th ...more
Fantasy Literature
Key Out of Time is the fourth book in Andre Norton’s TIME TRADERS series. Ross Murdock is once again the hero (he was not present in the previous book). This time he’s on the planet Hawaika which is being settled by the United States. Ross is accompanied by Gordon Ashe and, because this planet has a lot of ocean, Karara, a Polynesian girl who has telepathic dolphin companions.

When Hawaika turns out to be different from what they expected, Ross, Ashe and Karara begin to investigate. What happened
Kat  Hooper
Mar 22, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

When Hawaika turns out to be different f
Rollie Reid
This is another of the Time Agent novels, that includes Ashe Gordon and Ross Murdock. In this one, they are on a distant planet and use the time machine to try to learn some of the history of the planet. When things go wrong, they get involved in that history.

I won't go into greater detail for fear of giving away the plot. This is a good book in an older style of Science Fiction, and it is much like the Science Fiction I cut my teeth on, 40 years ago. You must understand that this was not the mo
Chuck
Oct 21, 2009 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton (born Mary Alice Norton, but legally changed her to increase her publication chances) was probably the first SF writer I ever read. Her novel Star Born fired my imagination, and I read not only her book but any other book that appeared on the library shelf near her indiscriminately. I cannot say Key Out of Time is her best work, but I must acknowledge that she is one of the authors who made a reader out of me.

Key Out of Time is one of those SF novels that don't get written anymore--
Julie Davis
May 18, 2011 Julie Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third of the Time Traders series (although I have seen references to Galactic Derelict which I haven't been able to locate ... and that actually may be the second in the series).

This one I remember as being a continual favorite in my high school years and it is a pleasure to find that I am enjoying it again, having forgotten just enough to make the story seem fairly new.

Investigating the mysteriously abandoned Hawaika, Ross Murdoch and his team are inadvertently swept through the underwater
Valerie
To summarize what we know about the 'Baldies':

(1) They seem to've been few in number, even at the height of their civilization. Either that, or not many of them came to our sector. Not more than 100 are ever seen.

(2) They're presented as inscrutably hostile. No credible motive is ever imputed to them.

(3) All of them seem to be male, and they may be clones.

(4) They seem to have no conception of other intelligent life, although in the Time Traders there's evidence of at least one other species com
John
Jul 11, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time Traders transitions to Witch World...

A couple of the original time traders go to a new Hawaii with new friends and modified Dolphins and end up attempting to alter the past against old foes with new and mysterious witchey friends.
Frank
Nov 15, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Nortons work for third until 1990 or so. I have not read any of Her co-authored works because it feels like trading on Nortons name. I don't recall a single novel that wasn't enjoyable read
Dean Sault
Jul 22, 2013 Dean Sault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Key Out of Time is the fourth book in the Time Traders series. It follows Ross Murdock as he and Gordon Ashe go into the past to discover what happened to an ancient civilization that vanished abruptly. They become swept up into a vast galactic war among aliens that ultimately destroyed the planet.

This is my favorite of Andre Norton's time travel series. The main characters are forced to survive against threats far more potent than their meager Earth technology could defeat. But, a Polynesian gi
Jeff R Hawkins
Feb 08, 2015 Jeff R Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

Once again, I have been unable to put this book down when I should be sleeping!
Norton's sense for story telling is superb.
Bruce Baker
Norton is always imaginative and fun.

This one ends abruptly. Is there a sequel? I did not know.
Samantha Glasser
Aug 11, 2014 Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19651/...
Linda Jacobs
Mar 24, 2015 Linda Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

Series book TT4

(Electronic copy too.)
Russ Cross
Jun 27, 2016 Russ Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of classic SF.
Well, I guess I was too involved in reading this book to remember to update my progress.
Another exciting, fast-paced Andre Norton book.
Steven
Jun 03, 2014 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Great book, Great series. Each book takes place in a completely different time and planet. She also introduces new cultures and characters while keeping a few for continuity.
James
Apr 25, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Key Out of Time, book #4 of the Time Traders series, follows maverick Time Agent Ross Murdock to Hawaika, an aquatic world. Exploring Hawaika in the present day, Ross, Ashe, and Karara and her dolphins are sucked through the time gate during a storm and find themselves in an ancient culture that is a mix of Viking-like sea raiders, Dark Age land-based Wreckers, and the mystic Foanna, witches. Ross and company must united these three clashing cultures and repel the Baldies or all will perish, as ...more
A.N.
Mar 28, 2014 A.N. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story out of nothing.
Dantegideon
No real resolution.
Ann aka Iftcan
Sep 16, 2012 Ann aka Iftcan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in the Time Traders series. In it Ross and Gordon, along with a pair of dolphins and a girl of Polynesian descent travel to another world to see if they can find out what happened to the civilization that had existed on it in the past, but that mysteriously disappeared.

While preparing their Time Gate, an accident happens and the 5 are thrown back into the past.

There they run into old enemies and new friends.

A good yarn and very enjoyable story.
Thorn
Jun 15, 2009 Thorn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
slow. not enough of anything. i did like the ending. norton expended a lot of writerly energy in her 'scenery and costume design', all of which were quite richly described.

this is the first of norton's books that i've read, despite having seen them on my local library's shelf for years and years and years when i was growing up. i even checked out one or two, but never got around to reading them. i'll read a few more, to be sure, 'just to see'.
Brittnie
Aug 29, 2016 Brittnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started this book several times and was never able to get drawn into the plot. Made it a little more than halfway through but had no interest in how the story would end so I just stopped.
Manuel Alfonseca
The fourth in the saga of the time traders, this is a curious novel in the time-travel sub-genre, quite original (time travel takes place in another planet) and with an unexpected ending.

I read this novel first in the series, then discovered it was the fourth, read the three first books and re-read this one.

Ii was interesting as a stand-alone, but I only caught all the back-references after having read the preceding novels.
Sandi
Mar 31, 2015 Sandi rated it liked it
Shelves: sff, want-to-buy
Ross was extremely obstinate and pig-headed in this story. No real reason was given why he disliked Karara. He was thinking things and making assumptions that did not have any corroboration from external events. Still, it was a good, interesting and quick read.
Jenne
Dec 30, 2011 Jenne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, bbb
Oh my god this was boring. It was like a kid playing with action figures. "ok this guy and this guy are on the palm tree planet! And Aqua Girl is here! Splash! With her dolphin friends! And they go back in time! Zoom! And the bad guys take them prisoner! But then he fights the one bad guy and they like him! And then BWOMM the aliens come! And they fight the aliens and the aliens all die!!"
Keith
Jan 01, 2013 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A readable entertaining novel I read in the 1960's. American agents (Ross & Gordon) venture to a ruined planet. It is mainly covered by an ocean. Polynesian colonists are already there. Karara, a leader, can communicate with dolphins.
Time viewing, a lost civilization, a storm and its aftermath and interfering aliens (Baldies) make for a good science fiction tale.
Betsy Gilliland
Dec 16, 2015 Betsy Gilliland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't the best scifi I've ever read, but it's also far from the worst. Keeping in mind that it was written a long time ago, I rather liked the author's ideas of what kind of technology we might have discovered by the 1990s. Which of course we still haven't figured out... The characters were surprisingly multicultural given when it was written, too.
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
The basic plot description is good enough with out me adding any thing to it. Read it when it first came out as I am a big fan of Andre Norton, and purchased and read everything that she wrote when it came out. Now that they are in eBook format, I am reading them again. Purchased from Amazon as part of twelve books for $1.99. Well worth the money.
B. Zedan
Sep 09, 2008 B. Zedan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Folks who'd like another entry in Norton's time-tripping line
I'm pretty meh about dolphins, but they do a nice job of being the telepath-link animals used in this entry of Norton's galaxy-colonising, timetravelly, trying not to be noticed by angry aliens we stole tech from sorta series.

Also, there are witches and whoopsie-doo we done went back in time, shit about the history just tryin' to survive.
  • The Colors of Space
  • Skylark Three
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Invaders from the Infinite
  • Police Your Planet
  • Beyond the Farthest Star
  • Children of Morrow
  • Hot Sky at Midnight
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Earth Lords
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • The Night of the Long Knives
  • American Epidemic: Origins- An Ebola Prepper Survival Tale
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Time Traders/Ross Murdock, (8 books)
  • The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
  • Galactic Derelict (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #2)
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • Firehand (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #5)
  • Echoes in Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #6)
  • Atlantis Endgame: A New Time Traders Adventure (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #7)
  • Time Traders III: Echoes In Time / Atlantis Endgame