Start by marking “Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136” as Want to Read:
Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136

Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136 (The Royal Diaries)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,803 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Eleanor lives in a palace in Poitier, France, with her father, Count William of Aquitaine, and her younger sister, Petronilla. Mischievous and daring, Eleanor's daily exploits are a constant source of frustration to her grandmother and ladies-in-waiting, who are the girls' caretakers. Eleanor's life is turned upside-down, however, as her father goes off t ...more
Published 2005 by Scholastic (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor

Madeline
I'm writing part of my term paper for Young Adult Literature on this book this semester, so I decided to review it here. It's not the best book of the series (although I remember liking it enough to own it), but it applies because my paper is about the Middle Ages as presented in young adult literature. Expect reviews of most of the other Royal Diaries books to follow, assuming I get around to it.

Through about 5th to 8th grade I was completely addicted to these books, and I'm pretty sure I read
Mar 01, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children or pre-teens ages 10+
Eleanor is the daughter of Duke William X. Her mother and brother died only when she was eight. And so until her father dies, Eleanor is next in line to be the Duchess of Aquitaine.
During her father's reign, she writes in her diary, her thoughts,feelings,desires and longings as well as her adventures.

I liked this book a lot. There was a lot of grief and joy but it shows how you can be strong through the greatest of sorrows.
And how you can take control of your life when others try to.
earthy
Feb 01, 2009 earthy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, juvenile
Not nearly as well-written or interesting as others in the series. The time period is interesting, and the events of Eleanor's real life seem perfect for a novel, but her characterization here makes her seem too frivolous and, at times, vapid, to be a particularly endearing character. Her sister is given minimal characterization, and the developing relationship between Eleanor and her "favorite knight" is chucked aside rather abruptly when historical fact requires her to be engaged to the soon-t ...more
Hilary
3.5 stars really: 3 stars from an adult perspective, probably 4 for the target audience (which I'd say is pre-teens).

I saw the series at the library and picked up this one first, as I'm relatively familiar with Eleanor of Aquitaine and wanted to see how it held up. This book covers about a year of her life when she was 13-14, the last year before her marriage to Louis Capet.

While Eleanor herself seems to obsess about trivial things - as do many people that age - there is a good amount of histori
Rain
Feb 28, 2016 Rain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristiana Gregory was able to bring Eleanor of Aquintaine to life similar to a typical teenager. Taking note of the historical significance during that period, and how a young girl of her prestige and circumstance was able to cope with all the events that she must regrettably undergo without warning. Not only that but also taking into account of her love of parties, jewelries, expensive and extravagant clothes, reading and her spoiled but strong characteristics.

Who says that women are fragile c
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-borrowed
I’ve heard quite a bit about Eleanor of Aquitaine, but never actually knew much about her life and the times she lived in. Well, finally Kristiana Gregory has remedied that in a book aimed at kids 8-13. The early years of Eleanor are not quite as exciting as her later years, as we learn in the Historical Note, but it was nice to see things from her perspective.

I personally would have liked a little more description of daily life at the castle, but I can understand why Kristiana Gregory did not i
Megan
Jul 28, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: Once Upon a Time
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 5 + 5 = 10??
Talky Talk: Alas! Earwax
Bonus Factors: Sisters, Age of Chivalry
Relationship Status: Courtly Love

Read the full book report here.
Kelsey Hanson
This one ranks somewhere in the middle for me as far as Royal Diaries go. It was interesting enough and Eleanor of Aquitaine is a very intriguing historical figure. She was educated, politically minded and bold in a time when women weren't allowed to be. She was given a lot of responsibility early on, but I feel like most of influential choices came after she was married. I think the book would have been more interesting if it would have started where the book ended.
Elaine
Apr 24, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the book that started me as an independent reader. Before this book, I was not interested in reading at all unless I was being read to.
Lauren Craig
I loved this book when I was younger. It's so good!
Dylann

Eleanor, Crown Jewel of Aquitaine By: Kristiana Gregory is Historical Fiction. It is about a girl named Eleanor and her grandmother gave her a Diary to write in. So the story is from her diary. One day Eleanor’s father went out for a while to go to the church to make an episode. But later everyone was wondering where he went, when they found him he was very angry and did not want to talk. He said the he wanted a new pope and he could not deal with the pope. So they got a new pope and set off ba
Rachel
Jan 18, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
The reading challenge I'm taking on. Join me!

This book fulfills the challenge: "A book set in a different country" (France).

Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

This is a sub-par entry in the otherwise excellent The Royal Diaries Series. Written by various authors, the series imagines a fictional diary of a real female figure of royalty as a child or preteen throughout history. In this book, Kristiana Gregory writes from the perspective of a 14 year-old Eleanor of Aquitaine.

The Pros: The experience of livin
Sarah Crawford
Feb 03, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the Royal Diaries series of books, this time dealing with Eleanor, a girl who later became Queen of two separate countries. In the novel, she has to deal with problems such as the possibility of being kidnapped and held for ransom, her father going on a pilgrimage from which he never returns, and living in physical conditions which are primitive by today's standards.

It's not a nice world that she grows up in, and her problems become more complicated when she's scheduled to ma
Ana
Jan 25, 2008 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor : Crown Jewel of Aquitaine written by Kristiana Gregory is about the life of Eleanor during 1136 to 1137. It covers the death of her father, her marrige to Louis the Younger,and her crowning as Queen of France. Elenor was very rich and very spoiled.
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review blog

3.5 stars.

This book is gross.

You know how sometimes you can read a historical fiction book and not really feel like you're IN the time period? Yeah, not this book.

Hats off to Kristiana Gregory because this lady nails the historical time period despite the thoroughly modern middle grade voice used for Eleanor (complete with groan-inducing "diary I must hide you in a clever place!" thoughts scattered throughout the book. I swear these diary book heroines spend
Lizzie
May 30, 2010 Lizzie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, reviewed
Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine feels like a front: a way to teach kids "history", presented in the point-of-view of one of their own. I expected a little more creativity presented in the story than what I received. I perceived this even as a preteen, which is probably why I forgot all about Eleanor until I stumbled across it on Goodreads and was reminded of its existence.

Gregory is very careful to remain true to both the diary format and the ADD mindset of a fourteen-year-old girl. As a girl
Carlyn Brody
The Scholastic Royal Diary series are fictional diaries of ancient royal women when they were teenagers at an exciting point in their lives. Eleanor of Aquitaine was a real person who lived in France from 1122-1204. She was the Queen of France from 1137-1152 and later became Queen of England from 1154-1204. Eleanor was the mother of King Richard I who was also known as Richard the lionheart who is connected with the Robin Hood legend.

Eleanor was the daughter of Duke William X who owned more Fre
Jinny (Lost-At-Sea Book Reviews)
Jul 01, 2012 Jinny (Lost-At-Sea Book Reviews) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers, historical fiction fans
Continuing my Royal Diaries nostalgic re-readathon, I have just finished this one on Eleanor. I actually don’t even remember if I read this particular one as a kid, though as an adult now, I find myself fascinated with Eleanor of Aquitaine’s life.

I think this book is a great way for kids to be introduced to this princess/queen. This book focuses on Eleanor’s life as a pre-teen. In this story, she is living happily with her father, the Duke of Aquitaine, and her younger sister Petra. The Duke of
Alex Bluemel
Nov 01, 2012 Alex Bluemel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my book review of this semester I read a book by Kristiana Gregory which is known as Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine. My thought on this book was that it is an awesome book to read as adventure and view of culture of her time. This story followed Joseph Campbell’s hero journey and of which three out of twelve steps which are steps are one: hero’s introduction into world, two: call to adventure, and six: tests, allies, and enemies.
Step one of the hero journey is the introduction of the her
Liralen
I discovered a whole slew of these at the library the other day -- bringing back memories! I was much more into the Dear America books than the Royal Diaries books when I was in the target age range, but I remember loving the books about Elizabeth I and Cleopatra VII.

This one interested me because, although I am waaay out of the age range for the series, I think Eleanor of Aquitaine was basically a BAMF (erm, excuse my language). I wanted to see what they'd done with her story here.

Unfortunately
Ana Mardoll
Feb 23, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Eleanor, Jewel of Aquitaine / 0-439-16484-2

Since my memorized history seems to gain larger gaps every year, I started this book with no real recollection of who, precisely, Eleanor was and I finally had to check the back of the book to find that - among other things - she was the mother of the famous Richard the Lionhearted and the infamous Prince John from the Robin Hood legends.

"Eleanor" does not, as a Royal Diary, disappoint. A princess with vast lands and holdings, she lives her life in rela
Callie Stillion
It is a surprise to Elizabeth when her father, the king, tells her that she will become queen, and get married if he dies. Elizabeth things that he`s PLANNING to die, but she asks him, and he`s not. Then he heads out to a pilgrimage, and the idea that he had to tell Elizabeth it real! He dies from food poisoning, leaving Elizabeth to be queen, and get married.
What I wonder is if Elizabeth was upset with the fact that she was married after her dad died, and as soon as that happened. The book did
Sophia
Jul 01, 2015 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book about my favorite person who turned out to be my direct ancestor! How fun to come to know and love this amazing young women and then to discover she is one of my great grandmothers! This book was the begging of my love for historical fiction and partly of my passion for history in general.
Kelly
Jun 05, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-women
3.5 stars. If there's one entry in this series to convince you that being a princess and/or living in medieval times isn't all it's cracked up to be, this is it. From worms to kidnapping plots to fleas to getting married at fifteen, this is a good, hard (middle school hard, at least) look at what growing up as Eleanor of Aquitaine probably would have been like.

Not as thrilling as other diaries but not as boring either. Eleanor is somewhat relatable, but she doesn't jump off the page like Elizab
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fourteen-year-old Eleanor is the oldest daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine, one of the most powerful men in France in 1136. Her father's only legitimate son died as a young child, leaving Eleanor, the oldest of his two daughters, next in line to inherit his lands, which are larger than those controlled by the King of France. Eleanor knows that because of her position, she will be married off in a strategic alliance. But what she would like is to marry for love, something that's completely impossi ...more
Kathryn Thies
Aug 04, 2014 Kathryn Thies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of my favorite books!
Eleanor of Aquitaine was one active woman for her time: she was the duchess of Aquitaine, queen consort of France and England, went on a crusade, had ten children, and outlived eight of them.
Now, you can learn the story before that.
Valerie
Eleanor of Acquitaine - one of my most favorite royals.... so naturally I "had" to read this. I didn't feel like this was one of the better stories in this series, but was still entertaining. Eleanor was the daughter of Duke William X, granddaughter of William the Conqueror, and mother of Richard the Lionheart and King John. She was first married to Prince Louis VI, whom was more interested in attending to his hobby of locks, and reciting his prayers than he was in paying much attention to his w ...more
Karen
Aug 20, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor of Aquitaine is one of my favorite historical figures -- because I know her story from history. If I had based on my opinion of her on this book, I would not have liked her at all.

This book falls flat on so many levels.

Mads
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829
  • Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853
  • Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638
  • Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531 (Royal Diaries #8)
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • A Coal Miner's Bride: The Diary of Anetka Kaminska, Lattimer, Pennsylvania, 1896 (Dear America)
Kristiana Gregory grew up in Manhattan Beach, California, two blocks from the ocean. She's always loved to make up stories [ask her family!], telling her younger siblings whoppers that would leave them wide-eyed and shivering. Her first rejection letter at age ten was for a poem she wrote in class when she was supposed to be doing a math assignment. She's had a myriad of odd jobs: telephone operat ...more
More about Kristiana Gregory...

The Royal Diaries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544 (Royal Diaries #1)
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. (Royal Diaries #2)
  • Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466 (Royal Diaries #3)
  • Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria - France, 1769 (Royal Diaries #4)
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914 (Royal Diaries #5)
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829