Start by marking “Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136” as Want to Read:
Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136

Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136 (The Royal Diaries)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  3,496 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Eleanor lives in a palace in Poitier, France, with her father, Count William of Aquitaine, and her younger sister, Petronilla. Mischievous and daring, Eleanor's daily exploits are a constant source of frustration to her grandmother and ladies-in-waiting, who are the girls' caretakers. Eleanor's life is turned upside-down, however, as her father goes off t ...more
Published 2005 by Scholastic (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor

Mar 01, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children or pre-teens ages 10+
Eleanor is the daughter of Duke William X. Her mother and brother died only when she was eight. And so until her father dies, Eleanor is next in line to be the Duchess of Aquitaine.
During her father's reign, she writes in her diary, her thoughts,feelings,desires and longings as well as her adventures.

I liked this book a lot. There was a lot of grief and joy but it shows how you can be strong through the greatest of sorrows.
And how you can take control of your life when others try to.
I'm writing part of my term paper for Young Adult Literature on this book this semester, so I decided to review it here. It's not the best book of the series (although I remember liking it enough to own it), but it applies because my paper is about the Middle Ages as presented in young adult literature. Expect reviews of most of the other Royal Diaries books to follow, assuming I get around to it.

Through about 5th to 8th grade I was completely addicted to these books, and I'm pretty sure I read
Not nearly as well-written or interesting as others in the series. The time period is interesting, and the events of Eleanor's real life seem perfect for a novel, but her characterization here makes her seem too frivolous and, at times, vapid, to be a particularly endearing character. Her sister is given minimal characterization, and the developing relationship between Eleanor and her "favorite knight" is chucked aside rather abruptly when historical fact requires her to be engaged to the soon-t ...more
3.5 stars really: 3 stars from an adult perspective, probably 4 for the target audience (which I'd say is pre-teens).

I saw the series at the library and picked up this one first, as I'm relatively familiar with Eleanor of Aquitaine and wanted to see how it held up. This book covers about a year of her life when she was 13-14, the last year before her marriage to Louis Capet.

While Eleanor herself seems to obsess about trivial things - as do many people that age - there is a good amount of histori
Carrie Slager
I’ve heard quite a bit about Eleanor of Aquitaine, but never actually knew much about her life and the times she lived in. Well, finally Kristiana Gregory has remedied that in a book aimed at kids 8-13. The early years of Eleanor are not quite as exciting as her later years, as we learn in the Historical Note, but it was nice to see things from her perspective.

I personally would have liked a little more description of daily life at the castle, but I can understand why Kristiana Gregory did not i
Megan Marie
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: Once Upon a Time
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 5 + 5 = 10??
Talky Talk: Alas! Earwax
Bonus Factors: Sisters, Age of Chivalry
Relationship Status: Courtly Love

Read the full book report here.
Lauren Craig
I loved this book when I was younger. It's so good!
The reading challenge I'm taking on. Join me!

This book fulfills the challenge: "A book set in a different country" (France).

Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

This is a sub-par entry in the otherwise excellent The Royal Diaries Series. Written by various authors, the series imagines a fictional diary of a real female figure of royalty as a child or preteen throughout history. In this book, Kristiana Gregory writes from the perspective of a 14 year-old Eleanor of Aquitaine.

The Pros: The experience of livin
Eleanor : Crown Jewel of Aquitaine written by Kristiana Gregory is about the life of Eleanor during 1136 to 1137. It covers the death of her father, her marrige to Louis the Younger,and her crowning as Queen of France. Elenor was very rich and very spoiled.
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review blog

3.5 stars.

This book is gross.

You know how sometimes you can read a historical fiction book and not really feel like you're IN the time period? Yeah, not this book.

Hats off to Kristiana Gregory because this lady nails the historical time period despite the thoroughly modern middle grade voice used for Eleanor (complete with groan-inducing "diary I must hide you in a clever place!" thoughts scattered throughout the book. I swear these diary book heroines spend
Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine feels like a front: a way to teach kids "history", presented in the point-of-view of one of their own. I expected a little more creativity presented in the story than what I received. I perceived this even as a preteen, which is probably why I forgot all about Eleanor until I stumbled across it on Goodreads and was reminded of its existence.

Gregory is very careful to remain true to both the diary format and the ADD mindset of a fourteen-year-old girl. As a girl
Carlyn Brody
The Scholastic Royal Diary series are fictional diaries of ancient royal women when they were teenagers at an exciting point in their lives. Eleanor of Aquitaine was a real person who lived in France from 1122-1204. She was the Queen of France from 1137-1152 and later became Queen of England from 1154-1204. Eleanor was the mother of King Richard I who was also known as Richard the lionheart who is connected with the Robin Hood legend.

Eleanor was the daughter of Duke William X who owned more Fre
Jinny (Lost-At-Sea Book Reviews)
Jul 01, 2012 Jinny (Lost-At-Sea Book Reviews) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers, historical fiction fans
Continuing my Royal Diaries nostalgic re-readathon, I have just finished this one on Eleanor. I actually don’t even remember if I read this particular one as a kid, though as an adult now, I find myself fascinated with Eleanor of Aquitaine’s life.

I think this book is a great way for kids to be introduced to this princess/queen. This book focuses on Eleanor’s life as a pre-teen. In this story, she is living happily with her father, the Duke of Aquitaine, and her younger sister Petra. The Duke of
Alex Bluemel
For my book review of this semester I read a book by Kristiana Gregory which is known as Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine. My thought on this book was that it is an awesome book to read as adventure and view of culture of her time. This story followed Joseph Campbell’s hero journey and of which three out of twelve steps which are steps are one: hero’s introduction into world, two: call to adventure, and six: tests, allies, and enemies.
Step one of the hero journey is the introduction of the her
I discovered a whole slew of these at the library the other day -- bringing back memories! I was much more into the Dear America books than the Royal Diaries books when I was in the target age range, but I remember loving the books about Elizabeth I and Cleopatra VII.

This one interested me because, although I am waaay out of the age range for the series, I think Eleanor of Aquitaine was basically a BAMF (erm, excuse my language). I wanted to see what they'd done with her story here.

Ana Mardoll
Eleanor, Jewel of Aquitaine / 0-439-16484-2

Since my memorized history seems to gain larger gaps every year, I started this book with no real recollection of who, precisely, Eleanor was and I finally had to check the back of the book to find that - among other things - she was the mother of the famous Richard the Lionhearted and the infamous Prince John from the Robin Hood legends.

"Eleanor" does not, as a Royal Diary, disappoint. A princess with vast lands and holdings, she lives her life in rela
Callie Stillion
It is a surprise to Elizabeth when her father, the king, tells her that she will become queen, and get married if he dies. Elizabeth things that he`s PLANNING to die, but she asks him, and he`s not. Then he heads out to a pilgrimage, and the idea that he had to tell Elizabeth it real! He dies from food poisoning, leaving Elizabeth to be queen, and get married.
What I wonder is if Elizabeth was upset with the fact that she was married after her dad died, and as soon as that happened. The book did
This is my favorite book about my favorite person who turned out to be my direct ancestor! How fun to come to know and love this amazing young women and then to discover she is one of my great grandmothers! This book was the begging of my love for historical fiction and partly of my passion for history in general.
Fourteen-year-old Eleanor is the oldest daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine, one of the most powerful men in France in 1136. Her father's only legitimate son died as a young child, leaving Eleanor, the oldest of his two daughters, next in line to inherit his lands, which are larger than those controlled by the King of France. Eleanor knows that because of her position, she will be married off in a strategic alliance. But what she would like is to marry for love, something that's completely impossi ...more
Katie Thies
Another of my favorite books!
Eleanor of Aquitaine was one active woman for her time: she was the duchess of Aquitaine, queen consort of France and England, went on a crusade, had ten children, and outlived eight of them.
Now, you can learn the story before that.
Eleanor of Aquitaine is one of my favorite historical figures -- because I know her story from history. If I had based on my opinion of her on this book, I would not have liked her at all.

This book falls flat on so many levels.

Thankfully, I enjoyed this book! Much better than many of the others I've read in this series.
I learned a lot about Eleanor from the epilogue, which is usually the part that I enjoy most from all the books in the series and they are usually the only part worth reading as well. But I didn't know that her family owned more land than the King of France at the time. Also didn't know that she would be Queen of two countries and that she was the mother to one of the most famous English Kings in histor
This is the type of book I would have adored growing up. History told in an interesting manner.

Definitely on my list to recommend to my daughter when she grows up.
Clara Troltenier
Très intéressant! (French for "very interesting"). I loved the picture on the cover. It really emphasizes the book and what it's going to be about. I loved the castle and sky(also on the cover). Really brings back memories of minority! (Synonym for "childhood). I also loved the action and spice it had in it. It saddens me that Elenore's father died in the midst of the book. Keep writing, Kristina! I love all of your books (of those I already read) and expect plenty more. Continue writing, s'vous ...more
Honestly I loved these books! I learned so much history as well! I love how they are written and I feel like I lived that time with her
Lucy Zheng
Eleanor was a princess of france. She maried King Louise VII of france. His dad King Louise VI also called Louis the fat because he is very fat. Eleanor's first husband died on 1180. Her second husband Henry II Died on 1189. Eleanor favoirt son Richard ( Her fourth child with HenryII) Eleanor's father died after her first marrige. I have to gave it three star because the book is not very instresting and it didn't have much fact about her. I liked the part that said For your horror, I shall marry ...more
Boring. The Author's Notes at the end, and the stuff at the back were fine--much better than the rest.
Sarah Greene
I absolutely loved this book; once again, the Royal Diaries fails to disappoint. The only literary -- and really historical -- experience I have with Eleanor of Aquitaine is through Sharon Kay Penman's books "When Christ and His Saints Slept," "The Queen's Man," and "Cruel as the Grave." Although this is also a fictional account I loved getting a young Eleanor's perspective. This is always my feeling with these books. It's great to have this kind of association as a young girl with the viewpoint ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 07:34AM
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829
  • Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France, 1553
  • Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853
  • Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638
  • Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531 (Royal Diaries #8)
  • Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • A Coal Miner's Bride: The Diary of Anetka Kaminska, Lattimer, Pennsylvania, 1896 (Dear America)
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)
Kristiana Gregory grew up in Manhattan Beach, California, two blocks from the ocean. She's always loved to make up stories [ask her family!], telling her younger siblings whoppers that would leave them wide-eyed and shivering. Her first rejection letter at age ten was for a poem she wrote in class when she was supposed to be doing a math assignment. She's had a myriad of odd jobs: telephone operat ...more
More about Kristiana Gregory...

The Royal Diaries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544 (Royal Diaries #1)
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. (Royal Diaries #2)
  • Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466 (Royal Diaries #3)
  • Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria - France, 1769 (Royal Diaries #4)
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914 (Royal Diaries #5)
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829
  • Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France, 1553
Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. (Royal Diaries #2) The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777 (Dear America) Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary Of Hattie Campbell The Great Railroad Race: the Diary of Libby West (Dear America) Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743