Start by marking “According to Mary Magdalene” as Want to Read:
According to Mary Magdalene

According to Mary Magdalene

Long ater the death of Christ, the apostles seek out Mary Magdalene. They have come for her memories of Jesus, as she was closest to and most loved by him. Thus begins her story: her childhood and the murder of her parents; her education and service at a brothel; her first love. Mary recounts her intimate experience with Jesus of Nazareth--of meeting this remarkable man, t ...more
Published December 1st 2002 by Hampton Roads Publishing (first published March 1997)

To ask other readers questions about According to Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about According to Mary Magdalene

Mary
Aug 01, 2016 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the concept amazing but it didn't play out like I expected. The writing feels clunky but I'm not sure if that's because of the author or the translator. I literally fell asleep everytime I tried to read it so the whole process took longer than I would have liked.
Rita
1997. I read "Volgens Maria Magdalena".
Fredriksson [Swedish author] became VERY famous among Dutch readers in 1998 with her book Anna, Hanna and Johanna: Good book bringing to life three generations of women in Sweden.

This one does a great job of making the first century AD come to life for me. Roman rulers, Greek traders, Greek as lingua franca of the whole Near Eastern coast; Jews, early Christians, Jewish Christians, and all those who worshipped the multiple gods of Greece and Rome [and earli
Solveig Hronn
Apr 03, 2015 Solveig Hronn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loksins finn ég þessa bók aftur, ég las hana fyrir mörgum árum en hefur lengi langað til að lesa hana aftur en mundi hvorki nafn né höfund. Greinilegt að Marianne höfðar til mín því þær þrjár bækur sem ég hef lesið fá allar fullt hús stiga frá mér.
Nú les ég þessa bók aftur og læt ykkur vita ef skoðun mín hefur breyst.
Hanna
Mar 12, 2008 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic
A completely different Mary Magdalene and Jesus than in the Bible. This is a more believable story in my humble opinion.
Nemain Isa
This is a whole different Maria from the Maria that the church tells, about, AND a whole different Jesus, but I adored this book.
Harry Maier
This is the biography of Jesus according to Mary Magdelene. It is a kind of thought experiment that takes its point of departure from a quotation from Simone Weil who said that the origins of Christianity are no longer able to be reconstructed and have their source in a mystery. In the preface Fredriksson (a Swedish author who won a big award for the novel) explains that she was motivated in writing the book to tell a story based on historical witness that runs counter to the Gospel stories, whi ...more
Suzierussell
Oct 31, 2011 Suzierussell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My problem with organised religion is that the "original" message is interpreted and presented to us as incontrovertible truth by men. Very, very, VERY occasionally women, but overwhelmingly men. Fallible people, full of the usual faults present in all human beings.

Just as history is always written by the victors, I have always wondered exactly how the cult around a young Jewish man, reputed to be the performer of miracles, spread across the world - after his death - to become a huge religion. E
Kat
I was expecting to find a very Bible-ish book, but I was greatly surprised. Reading through this book, what went into my mind was "huh? this feels so modern!"

Perhaps in the Bible (New Testament), it's focused so entirely on Jesus that not much light on the daily lives and jobs of people there are mentioned?

High-end pleasure venues (complete with in-house chef and gardener?)... I had quite a hard time putting that into the Jesus era (or, slightly post-Jesus era) in terms of timeline.

But, it was a
Fionna
Jul 13, 2014 Fionna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely interesting. It occasionally took some effort to figure out "when" we were, and I think some things could have been explained a little better, but overall I think it gave a view that we might not hear everyday - the women's side of Jesus's story. I think it would have meant a little more to me if I was religious, or even well versed in religion, but it was interesting to think about how different Christianity is (or might be) from what Jesus actually taught. I liked the view on God and ...more
Beth
Jan 24, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another stellar Marianne Fredriksson book. I think this one and 'Simon's Family' are my favorites. I normally intensely dislike books pertaining to Christianity, yet this book was different, it was so so good. Almost makes me want to delve into the Gnostic gospels again. It is always encouraging to be presented with an image of Christianity full of tolerance and egalitarianism (what the Bible is diametrically opposed to). Although this was fiction, I like to imagine it contained the spirit of tr ...more
Evam
Aug 23, 2012 Evam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Geen saai religieus katholiek gezwets, maar doorleefde fictie over een historisch personage dat eeuwenlang door de kerk onder het tapijt geveegd werd. Dankzij Fredriksson krijgt de figuur van Maria Magdalena eerherstel, en bij uitbreiding schenkt de schrijfster eerherstel aan alle sterke vrouwen die de kerk in het verdomhoekje geduwd heeft.

Het boek overstijgt het niveau van een emancipatorisch pamflet: het zit sterk in elkaar, zit boordevol emoties en je wil het in één ruk uitlezen dankzij de g
Aapo
Nov 07, 2013 Aapo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirjassa kuvataan hyvin se, miten kristillisen kirkon syntyyn ja Jeesuksen sanomisten tulkintaan on vaikuttanut se, että vain miesten kertomukset kirjattiin ylös. Tai että opetuslapset olivat turhan vahvasti kiinni juutalaisuudessa ja siksi Jeesuksen tarinaan liitettiin ylimääräisiä yliluonnollisuuksia. Kirjassa on lööppiainestakin, esimerkiksi neitseellisen syntymän kyseenalaistaminen ja Jeesuksen seksuaalisuus, mutta ei tässä kirjassa mitään uskonnollista vallankumousta tehdä, pikemminkin vain ...more
Outis
Aug 10, 2011 Outis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2011
Ein erstaunlich "modern" geschriebenes Buch über ein altes Thema.
Auch wie die anderen Werke Marianne Fredrikssons, die sich mit dem Thema "Religion" auseinandersetzen ("Eva", "Marcus und Eneides", "Abels Bruder",...) sehr theosophisch und man bekommt allerlei zum nachgrübeln.
Ein ganz klein wenig hat mich der relativ dominante Feminismus gestört. Aber bei einem Buch mit dem Titel und zu dem Thema nicht allzu verwunderlich. Es ist auch nicht schlimm oder auffallend, hat mich nur einfach etwas gene
Johanna Menges
Aug 14, 2015 Johanna Menges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just loved the storytelling. It brings the figure of Mary Magdalena so close to the reader. It is so interesting to get a feminine perspective to the stories around the beginning of the christian church. This book does not describe the story as it is written in the bible. But I just loved the interpretation of the author.
Marianne Fredricksson is able to bring so much life to her figures that you have the impression you know them personally.
_kouw
Apr 10, 2014 _kouw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Read a translation since I don't speak/read/understand Swedish, but the style was amazing - sparse and detailed at the same time. Interesting, filled with theory and humanity, leaving impressions behind for a long time. A story of love and friendship and of answering your calling in a way. Definitely recommended.
Bridget
I read this while I was in Japan; i should have a shelf here for: "Books I read solely because they were in English and I didn't have a lot of options."

That said, I really appreciated this book. I had never been able to conceive of Jesus as an actual mortal person before I read this book. I'm not giving it more stars because I want to re-read it before I lavish too much praise on this aspect.
Heleen
Nov 26, 2014 Heleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het is een beetje een en dezelfde gemoedstoestand. Ik had het al eerder gelezen, alleen de namen riepen vage herinneringen op. Van het verhaal kwam niets terug. Wat nu blijft hangen is dat de mannen daad- en wilskrachtig genoeg zijn om hun gedachten en ideeën aan anderen op te leggen. De vrouwen in dit verhaal geven alleen als hun er rechtstreeks om gevraagd wordt.
Sissi Zeiser
Apr 05, 2015 Sissi Zeiser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the first books I found on the role of women during Jesus' time on earth. Although fictional, the story seems very credible. I have since moved on to non fictional books on Mary of Magdala and can say that Fredriksson researched well.
Trey Mustian
This book portrays the author's idea of Mary Magdalene's life before meeting Jesus, her relationship and experiences with Jesus and her reminiscence of Jesus. Parts are very engaging but the overall story could be more coherent.
Sancho
Sep 25, 2013 Sancho rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories that are told from a different perspective than the usually accepted (and defended) are normally interesting to me. Fredriksson takes on a controversial subject, and even being Swedish (i.e. belonging to a more open-minded society), I think she was brave and succeded in writing a good book.
Wendy
Dec 04, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, religion
3,5 sterren. Interessant verhaal, nl. het leven van Maria Magdalena zoals wij het niet kennen. Maar ondanks het feit dat het vrij vlot leest, geraakte ik er op de een of andere manier niet door meegesleept, en geraakte ik nooit echt in het verhaal.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A fictional story of the life and death of Christ as told by Mary Magdalene, the woman who probably knew him best.[return][return]If you're interested in alternative views of Christianity, you'll enjoy this book. And if not, it's a good story nonetheless.
Barbara Rademaker
Jul 04, 2012 Barbara Rademaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like all books of Marianne Frederiksson but this one in particular because of the way she interprets this part of history.
Rebecca
From Anna-Britt Coe. While everyone else was reading the Da Vinci Code, I was reading this. Great exploration of what it might have been like for the women in Jesus' life.
Sunna
Nov 21, 2013 Sunna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
María Magdalena, skáldsaga. Minningar Maríu um Jesú og postulana Pétur og Pál. Biblíuskýring höfundar. Alltaf gaman að velta fyrir sér hvað gekk á og hverju var sleppt í skráningu heimildanna.
Botros
Feb 29, 2016 Botros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uppskattade boken mer när jag läste den för drygt 10 år sedan. Det är dock en intressant berättelse och ett försök att se på Jesus och apostlarna på ett lite annat sätt.
Feb 06, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Was ok. What I liked about it is that it really makes you think about what went on with the followers of Jesus before and after. Esp the women.
Miriam Kool
Jan 05, 2013 Miriam Kool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign-lit
Net als kinderen van het paradijs een van haar bijbel"vertolkingen", het leven van Jezus gezien vanuit een heel andere hoek, namelijk Maria Magdalene. Mooi, bijzonder boek, knap gedaan.
Jana Miah
Nov 30, 2015 Jana Miah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story gave a very interesting insight in the (fictional) life of Magdalene. I felt very connected with the character in the book.
Paul
Nov 01, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leuk boek maar historisgh onjuist en teveel vanuit vrouwenoogpunt geschreven. Dan is het boek van José Saramango met dezelfde titel beter.
  • I Miss You, I Miss You!
  • Molnfri bombnatt
  • The Red Bird
  • Barn av sin stad (Stadserien, #2)
  • Om Gud
  • Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants, #2)
  • Hugo and Josephine
  • Saga från Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #3)
  • Kees de jongen
  • Bright Dark Madonna (Maeve Chronicles, #3)
  • Publieke Werken
  • Shooting Butterflies
  • Kulla-Gulla (Kulla-Gulla, #1)
  • The Secret in the Dark (Nancy Drew, #102)
  • Het lot van de familie Meijer
  • Arvet efter Arn (The Crusades Trilogy, #4)
Marianne Fredriksson was a Swedish author who worked and lived in Roslagen and Stockholm. Before becoming a novelist, she was a journalist on various Swedish newspapers and magazines, including Svenska Dagbladet.

Fredriksson published fifteen novels, most of which have been translated into English, German, Dutch and other languages. Most of her earlier books are based on biblical stories. A central
More about Marianne Fredriksson...