Start by marking “Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies” as Want to Read:
Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies

Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies

Aristophanes is inconsolable—his rival playwrights are hogging all the local attention, a pesky young wannabe poet won’t leave him alone, his actors can’t remember their lines, and his own festival sponsor seems to be conspiring against him, withholding direly needed funds for set design and, most importantly, giant phallus props. O woe, how can his latest comedy convince ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Soft Skull Press (first published April 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies

Rick
May 08, 2015 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book, feelgood reading, not only for students of classical Greek, but funny, very human, good subject. For those who know about ancient Greece lots of inside jokes, for those who don't just fun reading.
Dan
Jul 09, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
This account of the staging of Aristophanes' play Peace c421 BC may not be exactly how it went down, but it's an engaging comic novel. Aristophanes is having trouble putting on a play about peace in a warlike climate, eternally hopeful lyric poet Luxos is trying to get a break, shady generals and weapons manufacturers want the upcoming peace talks to fail, a deity is sowing discord throughout Athens, and into the middle of all this walk am Amazon and a wood nymph whose powers are not quite as ...more
Angie Lisle
Sep 16, 2015 Angie Lisle rated it really liked it
A modern spin on the ancient world showing parallels of human nature between then and now.

Set in Athens of Ancient Greece during the City Dionysia (the festival of Dionysus) after 10-years of war with Sparta.

The story is told through multiple POVs. Some characters are fictional; some, like Luxos the poet and Metris the demi-goddess, are figments of Millar's imagination but a few characters, like Athena and Bremusa, are borrowed from mythology. And a couple characters, like Aristophanes and Soc
Paul
Sep 04, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
A fan of Martin's Kalix series, I was initially distracted by the similarities between some of the characters in this book and those in the Kalix series. That combined with a slow start made it easy to stop reading. At least in the beginning.

Once I got past those stumbling blocks, it was a delightful read, especially the scenes involving the bubbly wood nymph, Metris.

Compared with the books of the Kalix series, this book is a little shorter and has a much simpler plot, free of the multitude of s
Robin
May 22, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this, very entertaining and an easy read. The tale hops between the dealings of various characters in ancient Athens as they attempt to bring an end to the decade-old war with Sparta. Not only do we have the historical saga of Aristophanes the playwright, but the dealings of goddesses, nymphs and near-immortal Amazons interweaving into a world that might have been and definitely should have been (and, I personally suspect, still pretty is).
Recommended to all lovers of Classical mythology a
Michael
Jul 13, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, physical
From the beginning of this book i felt there was something familiar about it. About half way through the book i realized to reminded me of Terry Pratchett, that being a good thing. The pace, style of writing and overall positive feeling through out the work. I enjoyed this book and will be looking forward to reading more from the author.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Alister Black
Another brilliant book from Martin Millar, I even learned a bit about Greek drama although it is not every book that can be spoiled by looking up Aristophanes on wikipedia. I may begin to worship the goddess Athena.
Ruth Feathers
Jun 24, 2015 Ruth Feathers rated it it was amazing
I've read other Millar books, but I don't think I've fallen in love with his other characters like I did with Metris and Luxos. Presented in different voices like the tragedies and comedies it's modeled on. Quick, fun read.
Alana
Oct 31, 2015 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are few authors I enjoy as much as Martin Millar. I love his marriage of scattered, madcap plot and sympathetic, human characters.
Tania
Apr 05, 2015 Tania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Martin Millar is on form for this one, if you've ever read any of his before you will know what to expect.

It's set in ancient Greece during the festival of Dionysus. War has been raging for 10 years. Aristophanes is rehearsing his comedy 'Peace' while the pro war faction are trying to sabotage it with a lack of funds and Phallus malfunctions. Socrates is wandering around being wise, Luxos The Poet is trying to get his poetry heard. (A past life of Lux the Poet). A wood (or river) nymph whose
Elena Gaillard
May 31, 2016 Elena Gaillard rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An enjoyable romp through ancient Athens in Millar's usual comic satirical style. Athena, now confined to Mount Olympus, does what she can to guide her favorite cities towards peace using some rather imperfect tools -- that is, minor deities and longtime companions -- amidst the lengthy and draining Athens-Sparta war.

Aristophanes is a major viewpoint character, and other distinguished names from history make little Easter-egg appearances. The female characters are very much in the forefront how
Russell Uresti
Jan 23, 2016 Russell Uresti rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Martin Millar's work - his humor and subject matter are often unlike anything you'd see from other authors. Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies is quite a bit more PG than his other books (which are often filled with copious amounts of drug use, violence, sex, and other deviant behaviors), but the mockery in it all is quite fun.

I feel like this story may be more enjoyable if you've read Lux The Poet first (as Luxos is meant to be a past life of his), but it's still fun even if you
Melissa
Jul 31, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
This was a quick, charming read. This book would be good for anyone who would enjoy a light comedy based on Greek history and Greek mythology. The characters were unique and I liked following their struggles and development throughout the story.
scarlettraces
Apr 02, 2016 scarlettraces rated it it was amazing
(4.5) Oh my, Martin Millar on form is a wondrous thing. Every time I have a run of stupidbrain now, I'm going to assume Laet the Goddess of Bad Decision-making is in the vicinity.
Ivy Pavlova
Nov 09, 2016 Ivy Pavlova rated it liked it
Yes, it's new, and yet it's a proper, Alby-era Martin Millar. Maybe not earth-shatteringly amazing, but good, and fun, and lovely, and Martin-Millar-y. Tonally I guess it reminded me most of Melody Paradise – fairly gentle stuff but surprisingly engaging. His style (which is nothing like Kurt Vonnegut, btw, and don't let anyone tell you different) works really well with this classical setting. Hmm, Luxos the poet, where have I heard of him before..? Whoop, whoop!
Aubrey
Nov 20, 2016 Aubrey rated it did not like it
I REALLY wanted to like this book. I really wanted to like it. But I couldn't bring myself to finish it. On the surface, it seemed like the perfect book: a modern twist on Greek history and Greek mythology, commentary on modern society and British humor. Unfortunately, this book fell victim to overused cliches and bland character writing.
(Something Like) Lydia
The Goddess of Buttercups & Daisies is a story of how culture can influence politics.

War has been raging between the Athenians and the Spartans for years, and as the city of Athens looks on the verge of crumbling, many of it's citizens are desperate for peace.
However, on the eve of signing a peace treaty, a group of warmongers summon Laet, bringer of bad decisions, and all hell breaks loose.
As the city starts to fall apart around them, the fate of the peace talks rests on the shoulders of
Katie Lawrence
Mar 28, 2015 Katie Lawrence rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Review for The Library Journal: Renowned comedic playwright Aristophanes is desperate to win the first prize at the Dionysia festival with his new play, Peace. Yet his production is plagued with problems, including phallus prop malfunctions, struggling actors, lack of funding, and a lowly poet desperate for attention. Many begin to believe that Aristophanes's peaceful communication will actually end the war between Athens and Sparta, a result that generals on both sides are desperate to prevent ...more
Saffron Dennis
Jul 28, 2016 Saffron Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy reading, light weight comedy with a deeper meaning included.

Aristophanes the famous ancient Greek playwright, is having a hell of a time getting his latest piece of work called 'Peace' ready in time for the finale of the festival of Dionysia. War has been raging for over a decade and funds are short. The Goddess Athena cannot by Zeus' decree leave Mount Olympus, so sends her Amazonian handmaiden and enlists a River Nymph, who has unfortunately left town, to help. So Metis the nym
T.K. Flor
Jun 19, 2016 T.K. Flor rated it it was amazing
The Goddess Of Buttercups And Daisies is based on historical events and famous figures in Athens circa 421BC. The character of playwright Aristophanes, the peace talks between Athena and Sparta, and the comedy competition during the Spring Festival are entwined in a story that combines adventure, political intrigues and characters from Greek mythology. The writing is seamless and allows one to get totally immersed – it felt like I stood right beside Aristophanes when he labored to stage his come ...more
Rashida
(2.5/ 3 stars)

This was okay, I liked it the more I read, but at the start the multiple perspectives of different characters annoyed me. However it was easy to focus once the characters were established. I didn't really like any of the "characters" (most of them were people who actually existed, give or take an Amazon and a nymph). I did like Metris and Bremusa, though, which suggests to me that I might like some of Millar's other works with original characters.

Nothing earth-shattering, maybe som
Leah
Sep 23, 2015 Leah rated it did not like it
Described as someone fans of Neil Gaiman and Ben Aaronovitch should love, this author sounded promising. Alas. Comparisons like that set people up to fail. (Perhaps his other work includes better examples.) This book could have been a hilarious farcical romp through ancient Athens... but ended up heavy handed, clunky, and not particularly clever despite constant discussion of costume strap-on penises. Every reference to ancient Greek poetry shone like a neon sign: LOOK AT ME - I CAN MAKE ...more
Fergus Murray
Dec 14, 2015 Fergus Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Martin Millar for a long time, and he's on good form here. It's a lighter read than perhaps any of his other books, and that's saying something. For all its cheerfulness and the sometimes air-headed optimism of a couple of the main characters, though, it's by no means a stupid book. It deals with big themes like war and propaganda sharply but with good humour, and the details of the setting make it obvious the author has a real history-geek love of the period.
Kyrie
Jul 20, 2016 Kyrie rated it liked it
I really liked his story telling style applied to ancient Greece. It's like taking his tales of dreamers and drifters in modern day London and turning them into Athens during the Spartan war. His take on playwrights and politicians, and minor deities and immortals is funny. People haven't changed a whole lot since then, either. It's quirky, a bit raunchy, and made me smile.
Taisha
May 01, 2016 Taisha rated it it was ok
Found it rather difficult to follow the rhythm of the book, had to force myself to keep picking it up again because of it. I liked the idea of it, however.
Alan Fricker
Jul 10, 2016 Alan Fricker rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
I think all the Vonnegut stuff in the blurb set me up for disappointment. It was vaguely fun but in the end just not massively anything
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Patricia Herlevi
Patricia Herlevi rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Bob Mcconnaughey
Bob Mcconnaughey rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Simon Rose
Simon Rose rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Terra's World
  • Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel
  • Dreams of the Golden Age (Golden Age, #2)
  • Triggers
  • Laura's Handmade Life
  • You Could Do Better
  • Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings (Dandy Gilver, #9)
  • Jessica Jones - The Pulse: The Complete Collection
  • Weighing Shadows
  • Only Begotten Daughter
  • Headlong Hall
  • The Shoestring Club
  • The Emergence of Judy Taylor
  • Giving Up On Ordinary
  • You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons: The World on One Cartoon a Day
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • Vitals
  • We Are Here
Martin Millar is a critically acclaimed Scottish writer from Glasgow, now resident in London. He also writes the Thraxas series of fantasy novels under the pseudonym Martin Scott.

The novels he writes as Martin Millar dwell on urban decay and British sub-cultures, and the impact this has on a range of characters, both realistic and supernatural. There are elements of magical realism, and the feelin
More about Martin Millar...