Start by marking “Alive (The Generations Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alive (The Generations Trilogy, #1)

Alive (The Generations Trilogy #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  5,684 Ratings  ·  1,312 Reviews
I open my eyes to darkness. Total darkness. I hear my own breathing, but nothing else. I lift my head…it thumps against something solid and unmoving. There is a board right in front of my face. No, not a board…a lid.

A teenage girl awakens to find herself trapped in a coffin. She has no idea who she is, where she is, or how she got there. Fighting her way free brings little
Published July 14th 2015 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Alive, please sign up.

Robin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Myke Cole
Jan 29, 2015 Myke Cole rated it it was amazing
The less you know about Scott Sigler's Alive, the better.

In fact, I only want you to know one thing: drop whatever you are doing, right now, and read it.

The book is a voyage of discovery, a desperate and scrabbling effort to cut through darkness and discover truth. It has this in common with the best films of M. Night Shyamalan - a fog of mystery that conceals terrible danger and pitiless reality, a slow crawl to revelation, and, at long last, a payoff that leaves you reeling.

Alive is a at tim
Regan
Jun 16, 2015 Regan rated it really liked it
4.25

Really really enjoyed this read. It was a fast paced and thrilling read, I never wanted to put it down because the mystery was too good.
Karen
Jul 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley, signed
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing for the opportunity to read the ARC of this book. I actually liked this so much that I bought the hardcopy!

Wow! Really great storyline with amazing twists and turns. My first thoughts after the first few chapters was that this felt a bit like Lord of the Flies/The Maze Runner. As I delved deeper, I realized that this story was completely unique and I couldn't seem to get enough. I'd try to put it down and would find myself picking it right back
Arioch
Jan 20, 2016 Arioch rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't mind being in the dark for most of the book
As Scott requested in the preface of Alive, I've deliberately refrained from mentioning any specific details here so that every reader can enjoy this book's wealth of surprises for themselves.

When you see the name Scott Sigler on the spine of a book, you probably think of horrific science fiction monsters or perhaps intergalactic aliens playing football in the future. Alive is a significant departure from both of those. In fact, it's almost impossible to pigeon hole it into a specific genre. The
Scott Sigler
Jul 26, 2016 Scott Sigler marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
JULY 19, 2016: ALIVE IS A #1 NYT BESTSELLER!
Check out the new paperback cover for ALIVE, complete with the "New York Times #1 Bestseller" tag! Del Rey, the publisher, is changing cover style for the paperback release of ALIGHT, and when they do there will be this new cover for ALIVE. What do you think?

JULY 17, 2016:
Whaaaat? A year after publication, ALIVE hit #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list for YA ebooks. A huge accomplishment to get that #1, and quite a surprise!

JANUARY 19, 2016:
Chec
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Houston commercial photography

Included at the end of this ARC was an author’s note asking reviewers to not “spoil” this novel with their review. He asks that all reviewers “avoid giving away the good stuff.” Well, lucky for me there was no good stuff, so I don’t think I really have to honor that request. In the immortal words of the MC, I have the following to say:

“He thinks he can push people around. He thinks he owns people.”

WARNING: SPOILAGE

First things fir
Neil Hepworth
Aug 29, 2015 Neil Hepworth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I’m not sure what I was expecting when I started this book, but I was not expecting...that...what a great book this is!

In my ARC edition, there is a letter from Sigler in which he begs readers not to spoil anything via the interweb, so I won’t talk about the plot…but man I wanna talk about it! It was so cool!

I feel like this is what The Maze Runner way trying to be (but failed at miserably). Its got that mysterious Maze Runner-vibe with kids and whatnot, but, unlike The Maze Runner, this book ha
Shirley
Jan 25, 2015 Shirley rated it it was amazing
I am surprised that I finshed "Alive" alive. It certainly left my heart skipping a beat or two in certain places - dark, enclosed places.

Many have compared the book to "The Hunger Games" but I think it more closely resembles "Maze Runner". However, "Alive" would be enjoyable to anyone who enjoyes YA distopian novels.

Others have given a small, spoiler-free, introduction to the book so I won't go into that here. I do feel that many of the characters are well developed, especially the main characte
Guestford_junkie
I was lucky enough to get an Advanced reader copy of this book from Empty Set Entertainment (Thank you!!).

From the moment I opened this book and found myself in a coffin, I knew I was in for something dark. I love the way that Scott pulls you into the world he has created and makes your heart race! I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling it for those Junkies on tender hooks until September. but rest assured, this is Sigler gold!
Kali Mura
Jun 11, 2015 Kali Mura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-adventure
Wow. I' m still trying to digest everything I've read. The novel begins with a young girl waking up in an unknown world. At first the book seems like it's going to be a metaphorical exercise about discovering one's identity but then violence creeps into the story as she meets other people. There's very much a Lord of the Flies vibe here but in this situation, the youths have to deal with hostiles other than themselves. Since revealing too many details about the plot would spoil the surprises in ...more
Victoria
I’ve been a huge fan of Sigler’s since devouring Infected in one sitting. When I heard about his debut into YA fiction, I admit that my hopes were quite high - and Sigler does not let you down! Sigler’s genuine talent for immediacy and physical details turns this into a gripping read from the very first page. A nameless young girl wakes up in a coffin... what could be a more electrifying opening scene than that?? And it’s only the beginning - the action never lets up. Questions mount about the o ...more
Wendy Darling
DNF at 44 pages, because I pretty much hate the writing style.
Chris
Jan 19, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
No Spoilers here:

It is not often that an established author with a firm command of a particular genre of writing and a rabid fan base in that genre attempts a new venture. To my knowledge, it's ever more rare to see that author take on a new publisher AND a new genre simultaneously. But Scott Sigler is not unfamiliar with trying new things and this time I'd say it's done with great success.

Fans of Scott Sigler will already know that his books tend to follow common themes and also know that muc
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
This was my first Scott Sigler book. I won a copy of this from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway and really had no expectations and only knew that it was a Young Adult dystopian, sci-fi thing. I entered the giveaway because I love dystopians, and I love sci-fi even more! It sounded really good. Also, my friend Kat was reading it at the same time, so I decided to move this up to the top of my list. So, what did I think?

First, I don't think this book is even released until July, so I'm not going to
BigJohn
Sep 15, 2015 BigJohn rated it it was amazing
Everyone trusts their own memory. At least, we hope we can. The idea of waking up one day without your memory, or discovering that your memories aren’t real - the whole idea of not being able to trust your memory is a frightening concept that has been used to great effect in such stories as The Bourne Identity, The Lost Symbol, Maze Runner, Total Recall, Memento and many others.

Now, there’s a new contender. In Scott Sigler’s Alive, a 12-year old girl suddenly wakes up without any memory of who s
Beth
Feb 15, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this book. I'm a huge fan of Sigler's work and it's very exciting to see him starting a new series.

While this is a YA series, he doesn't hold back -- there's plenty of tension, action, and yes - a bit of bloodshed.
And like all of his books, there are compelling characters.
No spoilers! so I'm not going to talk about the plot. Suffice to say that "Alive" truly is one of those stories that you want to devour in one sitting.

The book is available for pr
Diana Francis
Apr 24, 2015 Diana Francis rated it it was amazing
First, the caveat. I got this book from Netgalley as an advanced reader copy.

This is one of those books that makes you think. It makes you consider what you'd do in the same situation, and it makes you consider what choices you'd come to--what would be the most important thing to you.

I don't want to give spoilers, so I'm going to try to be careful. I plan to err on the side of vague. The book is about Em, who wakes up in a coffin. She breaks out and discovers she's in a dusty room with several
Cheryl
May 19, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Mr. Sigler's. I can still fondly remember his first book, Infected. The cover drew me in as it was creepy (in a cool way). So anyways I can remember reading Infected and not being able to tear myself way from it until I was finished. I still get goose bumps thinking about the story. So needless to say, I could not stop reading Mr. Sigler's books.

Yet, even with this impressive resume, I was a little skeptical about reading Mr. Sigler's newest book. I just could not imagine how he w
CJ
Apr 06, 2015 CJ rated it it was amazing
Alive is a mystery / thriller / survival novel that can be described as a fusion of Divergent, The Hunger Games, and The Maze Runner.

The premise of the novel:
A teenage girl wakes up in a coffin - she doesn't remember anything and only knows her name based on what is written on the coffin. M. Savage. Soon she’s surrounded by strangers - other girls and boys whose memories are also gone. Beyond their room lies a corridor filled with bones and dust, but no people . . . and no answers.

M. Savage, or
Robin
Jun 13, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be given an ARC of this book because I'm a long-time Sigler fan. I've been asked not to spoil any details, so I can't actually tell you much about it! I CAN tell you the following things: It's YA, so no bad language or sexual situations. The protagonist is a girl and the story is told from her POV. She wakes up alone in the dark and has no idea where she is or what the heck is happening. She has very few memories of the time before she woke up. The details about what's ...more
Kate
Apr 04, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
I started this book yesterday and, in short, devoured the text. The story was enthralling, engaging, and far too easy to relate to whether you are twelve or sixty two. I kept trying to guess what might be coming next, where the story might be going, what the hints and little tidbits of information might mean. I couldn't not turn the next page because there was no way I could put the book down without knowing if I was right or if I was wrong. I just had to know. I no sooner finished the story ...more
Neil
May 27, 2015 Neil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, paperback, arc
Alive is the first book of Scott Sigler's new YA trilogy. I am not the fastest of readers but this story got me hooked from the very start. Imagine waking up in a coffin with the mind of a 12 year old but your body is that of an older teenager. You think you have vague memories of your parents and it's your 12th birthday but not why you are in a coffin and where you are.

Good characters and an intriguing caste system, cannot wait for book 2.

Shannon
Feb 05, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing
all I can say is WOW
Doug
Feb 02, 2015 Doug rated it it was amazing
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the FDO(and potentially getting banned from future ARC's) I'm not allowed to say much. Devoured it less than a week. I found it to be different from most of Scott Sigler's novels. That's not a bad thing... just an observation. I'm not giving anything away by saying there's a mystery at the core of this one. I, personally, would say its part Hunger Games and part Cube. I can't say any more. I can't. Its a fun read, even if its not in the same vein as Sigler's ...more
Jason
Aug 26, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Wow. Great story, Scott! Full review tomorrow.
Belladonna420
Jun 28, 2015 Belladonna420 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a sneak peek of this book back in October when Scott read the first few chapters for those of us that attended Siglerfest 2014. I thought I was lucky then. But a few days ago, I received an unexpected package in the mail from Empty Set Entertainment. That package contained an advanced reader's copy of Alive (thank you Scott & A!)

I knew, after hearing those first few chapters, that I was hooked and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I was not disappointed by what followed those
Brandi Nyborg
Jun 11, 2015 Brandi Nyborg rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway. Where do I even begin with a book like this? Lately I've been in a rut when it comes to books. This book helped pull me out. It's a completely original and unique premise. I was not expecting the direction it went. I read this this entire book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. This book will amaze and surprise you from the first page to the last. It has become one of my favorites. The only bad part of this is that it's a long time until ...more
David Patton
Apr 30, 2015 David Patton rated it it was amazing
Alive by Scott Sigler is a dystopian YA novel in the vein of Hunger Games with a Lord of the Flies twist. That being said, there's some very graphic plot points, so I wouldn't recommend it for Middle School set. It's more adult than young. It's the first Sigler novel I've read. I got a pre-release copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I have to say, after finishing Alive, I am tempted to go find more of his work.

The novel opens with a young girl waking up in a coffin on her twel
Jason
Nov 14, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advanced galley copy of Alive and Scott Sigler (The FDO) has done it again. It is a dark, and at times violent, story told thru the eyes of a twelve year old girl with amnesia. The uncovering the mystery of the past and dealing with the confusing present is suspenseful and draws the reader in - I could not put the book down. I cannot wait to read the next two books in this trilogy. I would recommend this to people who like mysteries, horror, suspense, and science.
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group for the opportunity to read the ARC of this book.

I think this book is amazing. It is so creepy. I loved how the kids are in these coffins and some wake up on their own and others being woken up. They all think they are 12 years old and it's their birthday, but in reality they are actually older.

This book is really unique to me. I didn't figure anything out like in other books, you can sort of get a hint of where things are going
  • 7th Son:  Descent (7th Son, #1)
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • Hit (Hit, #1)
  • Arena (Arena, #1)
  • Future Shock
  • Archon's Queen (The Awakened, #2)
  • Crescent
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Hammer of Angels (Shadowstorm, #2)
  • Burning Midnight
  • The Scorpion Rules (Prisoners of Peace, #1)
  • All We Have Is Now
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)
  • Genius: The Game
  • The Elementalists
  • Surveillance (Chris Bruen #3)

Get Scott's free, unabridged weekly audiobook episodes from iTunes by subscribing to his podcast.

#1 New York Times best-selling author Scott Sigler is the creator of fifteen novels, six novellas and dozens of short stories. His works are available from Crown Publishing and Del Rey Books.

In 2005, Scott built a large online following by releasing his audiobooks as serialized podcasts. A de
More about Scott Sigler...

The Generations Trilogy (3 books)
  • Alight (The Generations Trilogy, #2)
  • Alone (The Generations Trilogy, #3)

“Don't base reality on what you have seen when you have seen very little.” 19 likes
“It must be so easy to judge the decisions of someone else when you sit back and do nothing.” 15 likes