Start by marking “Ask for a Convertible: Stories” as Want to Read:
Ask for a Convertible: Stories

Ask for a Convertible: Stories

In these connected stories, Danit Brown introduces Osnat Greenberg: a slightly fatalistic, darkly funny, and utterly winning heroine who is struggling to find her place in the world.In the 1980s, Osnat moves with her American father and Israeli mother from Tel Aviv to Michigan. As the perspective shifts among the characters - spanning fifteen years, returning to Israel and ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Pantheon (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ask for a Convertible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask for a Convertible

eb
Apr 14, 2008 eb rated it really liked it
These stories are yearning to be turned into a novel. Why didn't she let them take their natural shape? I don't get it, but I'm not that bothered, because the writing here is so fresh and good. Every two pages or so, you get an OHMYGODEXACTLY! moment. That's a pretty unbeatable percentage.
Rachel
May 21, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for *months* to read this collection, ever since I saw a sampling of Danit Brown's stories in Nextbook, and this did not disappoint.

The stories in this book more or less revolve around a girl named Osnat, an Israeli who moves to America with her parents (mother from Israel, father from America) when she is 13, and follows her through her school days, boyfriends, brief stint in Israel, and awkwardness with parents as she ages into her thirties. (A few of these stories go into th
Jen
Apr 13, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: literary fiction lovers
Recommended to Jen by: Danit!
Shelves: fiction, my-favorites
In Danit Brown's Ask for a Convertible: Stories, running is a motif that, well, runs through many of the stories. Osnat is often running from relationships, to places or people that she hopes might be a home for her, or just from the ennui of modern life. The other people in her life often wonder whether they're making any progress either or if they're just hamsters running on the wheel.
What is it like to be from Israel and to live in Michigan but feel like you belong in neither place? Brown u
Stephanie Gross
Nov 14, 2008 Stephanie Gross rated it it was ok
Osnat - pull it together! The self-pity got old.
wmc
Jan 27, 2008 wmc rated it it was amazing
Clear, sharp stories, with drunk, insane, and entirely sympathetic characters.
Kendra
May 25, 2011 Kendra rated it really liked it
Torn by wanting this to be a novel, yet finding the loose affiliation of these short stories around a central character to be a refreshing way of illustrating just how much of an outsider the main character feels. This book is mostly about Osnat, Israeli-born American, whom we first meet as a teenager in the 80's in Ann Arbor, MI (my time, my place, and though I am not an Israeli wondering where I belong, I can assure Ms. brown that though her character and narrative may be set apart by her orig ...more
Alisa
Apr 16, 2009 Alisa rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I meant to just read a few of these stories since Danit Brown will be teaching a workshop near me this summer, but I ended up reading the whole thing, which is high praise when you consider how I usually moan and groan over short stories. It helped that the stories were interconnected, concerned with the same characters, and even progressed sequentially through time. They were mostly funny and child of the 80s that I am, I liked the period details of things I had nearly forgotten, like Hands Acr ...more
Nettle
Mar 03, 2012 Nettle rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this. The series of loosely linked short stories are so beautifully evocative of the identity issues of being homesick wherever you live. But I found it hard to get engaged by any of the characters, and I have to agree with the reviewer who commented, "Get it together, Osnat! Enough self pity." These characters lack the ability to be happy, and while that's true of many of us in life, I found it painful to read about. Still, a fascinating and skillfully written book. ...more
Dorinda
Aug 03, 2009 Dorinda rated it really liked it
This is a series of short stories, not really chapters, with characters reappearing in unexpected yet logical places. The main character is the Israeli-born daughter of an American father and Israeli mother who return to the US after her first 13 years in Tel Aviv. Israeli is not Jewish in Ann Arbor, but who is a Jew or why is not as clear as many characters think or hope. I really liked the humor combined with some very serious ideas. It is especially satisfying when you discover the source of ...more
Heather Edwards
Nov 26, 2013 Heather Edwards rated it it was ok
This book is a compilation of short stories where the themes and characters interconnect throughout. The main character moves to the US with her parents from Israel when she is thirteen. All the characters are trying to find happiness and themselves. I found I didn't engage with any of them. There was no hook that kept my interest.

I used to enjoy short stories but haven't read any I liked in a long time. I would not have read this book if it wasn't this month's book club selection.
Ashley Rangel
Nov 08, 2011 Ashley Rangel rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I really wanted to love this book. After reading the sleeve and a few reviews on amazon.com I thought I would. But even at halfway through I still couldn't feel a connection to any of the characters..I am giving up on this one.
Clare
Oct 24, 2009 Clare added it
Awful! All about "identity" and whether our protagonist Osnat (more or less Danit Brown) is more American or Israeli. Eh. Mediocre writing, lots of cliches, I started skimming. But Brown just won some big award, so Identity is still a hip thing.
Kary
Apr 04, 2016 Kary rated it liked it
Wasn't sure what to expect. Not sure that I actually cared for the book but one of those where you need to finish reading it to see where the author was going. I would have enjoyed more insight into Harriet & Noam.
Arlene
Oct 12, 2009 Arlene rated it liked it
Collection of short stories around characters in context of Israeli/American identity. Whole different view of a culture not previously explored. Stories well written
Will Meurer
Jan 27, 2013 Will Meurer rated it it was amazing
This was a great book of inter-related short stories. It was thoroughly entertaining and I look forward to reading more from this promising young author.
Brenda
Jan 17, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book. it follows several characters as they adjust to living in the US and try to fit in yet maintain their own national identities with varying degrees of success.
Donna
Apr 09, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the humor.
G
Mar 11, 2008 G rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-ground
It's a very unusual book - not quite a novel, but more than a collection? - and I wished that some threads were pushed more than had been. And sometimes the title character grated.
Linda Robinson
Dec 10, 2012 Linda Robinson rated it liked it
Family like the backyard sanctity of a swimming pool, rather than the treacherous strange waters of a Great Lake. A comfortable read that feels like the Michigan home Brown writes from.
Jerriannhenry
Jerriannhenry rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2011
Taylor Cheney
Taylor Cheney rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
M Diamond
M Diamond rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2008
Gilbert
Gilbert rated it really liked it
May 08, 2010
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2012
Sabiel
Sabiel rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
  • Between Friends
  • Something Red
  • Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
  • The Buzzing
  • Self-Portrait Of A Hero: The Letters Of Jonathan Netanyahu (1963-1976)
  • The 188th Crybaby Brigade: A Skinny Jewish Kid from Chicago Fights Hezbollah--A Memoir