Start by marking “Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction” as Want to Read:
Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction

Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A hilarious guide for book lovers that brings book addiction out of the closet.

Have you ever...

awakened, the morning after a book-buying spree, unable to remember how many you bought or how much you spent?
been reprimanded or fired for reading on the job?
purchased or rented additional living space... just for your books?
You are not alone. Your complete recovery awaits
Paperback, Revised, 224 pages
Published April 30th 2001 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Biblioholism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblioholism

Lynda
This was not what I expected. I expected a light-hearted perhaps even humorous look at reading. As someone who has spent most of my life in libraries, reading rooms, and bookstores, I did find a few things to relate to. I even found some humorous stories and lists. However, I doubt the author of this book has felt the highs and lows of reading that I have. There was none of the passion of searching jumbled, dusty piles and shelves of used books looking for authors and subjects that enthrall you. ...more
Elizabeth
I found this to be a really terrible and amateurish accounting of book love. It's one merit was that it read incredibly quickly. Otherwise, its observations about being a biblioholic were, somehow, at once benign and unbelievable. Further, Raabe doesn't make good distinctions between book lovers who read and those that don't. He suggests a person is one or the other, without paying careful attention to the intricacies that exist in between. There isn't anything here that you can't find in Holbro ...more
Sandi Layne
This book is worth the price for chapter four alone, in my humble opinion.

Really, it's one I have read the pages ragged with, in sheer appreciation for the topic and how it's handled. How does one fully explore the addiction many have to BOOKS?

Well, Tom Raabe gives it one of the best shots I've ever read, anyway.

I recommend it to any and all who love their books, who have packed them through several moves or stored them in one home forever. Anyone who knows the joy of just looking at a full bo
Weinz
Eh. It was ok. No soul touching experiences as with Anne Fadiman or "A Passion for Books". The quiz was enjoyable and revealing but beyond that he was repetitive and redundant. His chapter on his dream bookstore was great. It inspired me to make my own book-topia.
Lenna
I thought that I was alone in my book eccentricities! I am so glad to know that other people gaze upon their book collections with adoration and even greet them in the morning with a loving "Good morning friends!"
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Hello, My name is Linda and I am a biblioholic.
Walter Snyder
Sep 23, 2014 Walter Snyder rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves books and reading, especially those mocked by non-readers
Recommended to Walter by: Tom Raabe
Raabe mixes gentle humor with serious scholarship as he examines all manner of book collectors and consumers (including literal consumption). Borrowers, lenders, collectors, and, yes, even readers take their turn under his microscope. He provides ample historical background to all manner and shades of addiction to the printed word and touches upon both literal and figurative bookworms.

If you think you might be hooked on books, don't come to Raabe for relief. He's a strict diagnostician. But then
Martha
Mar 09, 2008 Martha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mary, laura
I laughed and laughed & laughed, and it wasn't because the book was unrealistic, but for the opposite reason. I don't think I'm going to mention how I scored on the quizzes, though . . .
A fun and whimsical read. If you don't have the disease, or live with someone who does it could be somewhat meaningless. I was happy to learn that Reading While Traveling has a long and starred history. I was able to tell my husband that taking 6-8 books on a 4 day trip was moderate. He seemed skeptical...
My favorite parts were the test at the beginning and the list of "individualized anathemas" for the would be biblioklept. For example:

In Joyce's Finnegan's Wake: "If you steal this book, may yo
Celia
Honestly? This wasn't the book I was expecting. I was expecting something lighthearted about people who like to read. A lot. What I did find was a book about people who are honestly addicted to buying books. Not necessarily reading the books, mind you - just buying and reading some of them. It was a scary and hilarious book lol it had quirky anecdotes and lists, even a quiz. I related to some of it, but not all of it. And that was just fine. Don't pick up this book thinking that it's going to be ...more
Stephanie Griffin
BIBLIOHOLISM, by Tom Raabe, is a humorous look at those of us who are “addicted” to books. It contains chapters such as Anatomy Of An Addiction, Bibliomaniacs And Bibliophiles, We Are What We Buy, and Variants Of The Disease.
I was mostly amused during my reading of this book, seeing parts of me described in print, but sometimes I actually learned something new. Mr. Raabe often uses words I needed to look up, so I have to give him credit for both entertaining and teaching me.
If you are a fellow b
Sarah Sammis
I enjoyed the book; it was worth the wait. From his descriptions of the various types, I seem to be readaholic (I think most BookCrossers are) and I'm married to a Scholar (as you'll see from the HUGE number of text books listed on my shelf). BookCrossing and a much smaller family budget has cured me of buying loads of books and I have been fairly good about the reading and releasing. The remaining problem is the free books that have found their way into my collection (for releasing, of course) ...more
Karen
I loved this book! I haven't read any other book like this one....I love any book that talks about people going through the same sorts of things that I am going through...especially when they do it in such a fun way like this book was done....

This book covers the history of the book (the timeline is so funny) and they different types of book disease, from burying your books to actually eating them!

I recommend this book for anyone that loves books! Anyone that is using this site, in fact...haha!
Taylor Church
This was a relatively quick read. Only around 200 pages, but with an intense vocabulary including sundry Latin terms and neologisms. It is definitely a humorous read, even more so for someone who is quite the unabashed lover of books. I would recommend it to anyone who loves words, loves literature and could use some pedantic yet funny text.
trav
This book is ok. Lots of illustrations that many of us here on LT could relate to and tries to be clever, in regards to book collectors. But it's nothing stellar.

Certainly one you want to add if you collect "books on books".

But I didn't find any merit beyond that.

It either needed to be more funny or more scholarly, as it missed both these marks with me.
Anne
Well, I can't be a biblioholic when it takes me almost two weeks to read this book, can I? According to the two tests in the book, I'm not a biblioholic and should just shop till I drop. I'm barely a borderline biblioholic, but definitely a bibliophile. Yay!

The book is quite entertaining at times and is an enjoyable read, but also a bit too long in my opinion.
Tim
A fun book to dip into, though uneven in its humor, and stretched longer than it should have been. What saves the book and drove me to keep reading were his historical anecdotes and the occasional insight that revealed a little bit more of my own bookish addictions.
Jan
I skimmed through this one in the car (I wasn't the driver!), on a 90 mile road trip to our nearest big city for shopping. There were a few laugh-out-loud portions that I could relate to, but I really don't think the author is much of a reader.
Debi
Loved, loved, loved this book - so many great quotes from it as well.
this book is just the totality of being a book-lover, addicted to books, it just encapsulates the whole book experience
Eva
A few passages had me literally choking with laughter, but the rest of the book is repetitive and rather pointless and keeps "biblioholics" from precious reading time.
Karen
I loved the idea of this book, but it was a bit over-the-top for me. It was meant to be, of course, but I just felt that it went on and on and one and on and...
Noel Rooks
Tongue in cheek book about the disease of book love. If you want serious exploration, look to Basbanes. If you want a little satire, stay here.
Kayla Eklund
As this one of my personal reads, I have decided to not review it. However, I loved the book immensely. I recommend it for book addicts everywhere.
Toni
Not great. The beginning and end were really good but the middle was BORING. Not what I expected. Dissapointed.
Eric Rickey
I bought this for my dad and then had a hard time giving it over to him. Ironic?
Esme
Loved the writing,even if it wasn't funny the writing itself made it a worthwhile read.
Nafi Nafi
lucu sekali ini buku. tentang pembangunan benteng buku di rumah/gudang. eh bukan deng.
Deb
It was a funny, short read for people who collect and cherish their books!
Debbie
guide for book lovers that brings book addiction out of the closet
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

A book for many of us biblioholics! Lots of fun....
  • Living With Books
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama, and Other Page-Turning Adventures from a Year in a Book store
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Love and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Ruined By Reading: A Life in Books
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • The Book on the Bookshelf
  • For the Love of Books: 115 Celebrated Writers on the Books They Love Most
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • ABC for Book Collectors
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
The Ultimate Church: An Irreverent Look at Church Growth, Megachurches, & Ecclesiastical Show-Biz Sports in the 20th Century Sports for the Athletically Impaired House of Cards Peacemaking for Families