Start by marking “Ask Me How I Got Here” as Want to Read:
Ask Me How I Got Here

Ask Me How I Got Here

Addie has always known what she was running toward. In cross-country, in life, in love. Until she and her boyfriend—her sensitive, good-guy boyfriend—are careless one night and she ends up pregnant. Addie makes the difficult choice to have an abortion. And after that—even though she knows it was the right decision for her—nothing is the same anymore. She doesn’t want ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Greenwillow

To ask other readers questions about Ask Me How I Got Here, please sign up.

Becky
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareGlass Sword by Victoria AveyardHeartless by Marissa Meyer
YA Novels of 2016
332nd out of 1,128 books — 8,514 voters
Glass Sword by Victoria AveyardGirl Against the Universe by Paula StokesThe Crown by Kiera CassThe Shadow Queen by C.J. RedwineThe Siren by Kiera Cass
HarperTeen Books of 2016
82nd out of 127 books — 265 voters

More lists with this book...

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I honestly think had this book been written in prose rather than verse, I might've enjoyed it much more. I just didn't feel the story fit well within that format and I think at times it held the story back. The format didn't allow for character depth, which caused the characters to feel one-dimensional. I also had major issues with the amount of cheating that takes place within this book between the characters. (like can you not????) This story didn't even feel complete when I finished reading ...more

"Tonight
I
will
tell
my parents
tonight.
Or maybe tomorrow."

This was an enjoyable story about a girl who fell unexpectedly pregnant, and her life as she dealt with the consequences.

I felt quite sorry for Addie, especially when she had to tell her parents that she was pregnant, because it really was a terrible situation to find herself in.

The storyline in this was about Addie f
Kelly
I'll be surprised if this isn't one of the best books of 2016. I'm saying that and we haven't even gotten there yet.

Addie attends a private religious school and she's a cross country runner. It's always been a big part of her life. Until it's not.

After sex with her boyfriend James, she finds herself pregnant. Here's where the story shifts: this isn't a story about the poor girl who got pregnant, had an abortion, and was left alone by him. Nope. She has an abortion and he sticks around. Her pare
Taylor Knight
Jun 18, 2016 Taylor Knight rated it really liked it
I didn't know this was written in verse so I was pretty surprised when I started it. I've only read one other book in verse before so I can't really say if this is well written compared to other books written in this style. I did really like this book though. I thought the plot was interesting and different from most other books that I've read. I couldn't get emotionally invested in the story or the characters but I still really enjoyed it.
Christy LoveOfBooks
Apr 26, 2016 Christy LoveOfBooks rated it it was amazing

Gorgeous!

I’m not one to seek out books written in verse. Actually, I’ll usually skip them. However, I couldn’t resist Ask Me How I Got Here after reading the description. I absolutely loved it!

Unlike Christine Heppermann, I’m not great with words, so it’s hard to explain something so moving. It’s interesting how someone can write 500 pages that really says nothing at all, while someone else can write a tenth of that and evoke such depth and meaning.

This little book took me through an array of em
Emily May
I generally love novels in verse. They were always one of those things I assumed I wouldn't like, until I eventually gave in and tried one. The short, emotional punches they pack are often very effective. That being said, despite loving Heppermann's Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty, I thought this one took on too much.

With verse, you can be purple and metaphorical and dramatic. You only have a small number of words to make your point and you need to use them well. With Ask Me How I Got
Dahlia
Yet more proof I like novels in verse way more than I always think I do. Religion and reproductive rights and sexuality - oh my! All my favorite things.
Nadea
Jul 09, 2016 Nadea rated it really liked it
A little story about a girl who made an abortion, and with it her life kinda changed. And it was kinda predictable. What was unpredictable tho, is the narration style, which is - verse. More like captures of a tumblr blog, I would say, and I even kinda liked it..kinda. I already saw other people complaining about flat characters, and the author who "bites more that she can chew", so you probably should go and check out their reviews if you're looking for a constructive opinion. As for me..I ...more
Angel
Add this to your TBR piles NOW.
Sonny Mitchell
Jun 21, 2016 Sonny Mitchell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book. But it didn't live up to my expectations. Unfortunately..
Book Riot Community
A couple of years ago, I raved about Heppermann’s YA debut Poisoned Apples, which was a collection of feminist poems paired with feminist art. To say I was excited she had a YA novel in verse coming out would be an understatement, and I was far from disappointed with Ask Me.

Addie attends a private religious school and she’s a cross country runner. It’s always been a big part of her life. Until it’s not.

After sex with her boyfriend James, she finds herself pregnant. Here’s where the story shifts:
Fiona
This review contains profanities which may or may not affect you in some kind of way. Read at your own risk. Lol! ;)

----------------
(view spoiler)
Lauren  (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

3.5

Ever since I read One by Sarah Crossan, I've been looking for another free verse book to read. When Ask Me How I Got Here popped up on Edelweiss it immediately caught my interest, especially as I had heard some good stuff about Heppermann's Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty.

After a careless night with her boyfriend, cross-country runner Addie ends up pregnant. She makes the decision to have an abortion, and as a stu
Abby Johnson
Feb 03, 2016 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, contemporary, verse
Wow.

In beautiful and relateable prose poems, Christine Heppermann presents the story of Addie, a girl attending Catholic high school, running track, getting a new boyfriend... getting pregnant, getting an abortion, and dealing with her feelings about it. The beautiful thing about this book is that even though the abortion is a major plotline, this is not treated like an issues book.

It's a nuanced exploration of Addie's experiences and how her life changes after this happens. She's a thoughtful
Jacquelyn
Apr 05, 2016 Jacquelyn rated it liked it
I have always been very intrigued and interested in books written in verse. They're so quick to read so I am more than happy to give them a shot. I enjoyed this one and the many layers and themes of it but I felt that at the end, way too many things were left open ended and unresolved. It seemed unfinished and as if there should have been many more chapters to read. That was the main reason my rating decreased. Also, I just felt as if it sort of moved almost too quickly for me to attach myself ...more
Jenefer R
Mar 14, 2016 Jenefer R rated it really liked it
A really great verse novel in the spirit of Ellen Hopkins. I got thought it in a matter of about 90 minutes total. Addie is pretty relatable. I would recommend this to one of my students who is a reluctant reader because it is intense but very easy to read.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got as a reviewer for YA Books Central.
Diversity Rating: 1 – Tokenism
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 2 (Addie is bi)
Disability: ? (idk how to rate this because it’s unclear; Addie’s crush Juliana had a breakdown and slashed up some lotion bottles, so she sees a shrink regularly and is on meds)
Intersectionality: 1 (very positive portrayal of abortion)

I’ve been waiting in line for this book since the deal announcement–and I think that was be
Ciara (Lost at Midnight)
Verse novels are always a hit-or-miss for me. They can either completely immerse me in the story, or leave me feeling jarred and disjointed. For me, using verse in a novel needs to have purpose and be impacting. The words need to flow easily, lest they become choppy and distorted. Christine Heppermann's ASK ME HOW I GOT HERE is everything I hope for in a verse novel. It is touching, poignant, and moving, a must read for any young girl navigating this messy thing called life.

As most verse novels
Becky
Addie is the star runner on her Catholic school's cross country team. She's dating Craig, who is kind of a jerk, until she stumbles into Nick, who isn't. Shenanigans ensue, and Addie winds up pregnant... but don't be fooled into thinking this is just another tropey teen pregnancy book. Instead, you will find a delightfully subversive read with unconventional gems in all the right places.

I adored this book. To be fair, I was predisposed to like it due to my obsession with Heppermann's first book,
Tasha
May 04, 2016 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
The author of Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty returns with a powerful verse novel. Addie is one of the stars of her Catholic high school’s cross country team and dating a popular boy in a band. Then after having unprotected sex, Addie ends up pregnant and decides to have an abortion. After that everything changes as Addie keeps her pregnancy and decision secret from everyone except her parents and her boyfriend. Addie tries to keep on running, but she has lost her drive to excel at it. ...more
Liralen
I am intrigued, and I also have so! many! questions!

I love the understated nature of this book: Addie goes through a major event—an abortion following an unplanned pregnancy—and although this could very clearly cause Drama on about twelve different levels (starting with the fact that she goes to Catholic school), it doesn't. That is: it does affect her, but it does not define her. Addie is able, through the book, to work things out largely on her own terms; this isn't the sort of book where she
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange of a review. No compensation in any form was received for the review of this book.

This book was a fast read. I think I finished it for about an hour or two since it was written in verse form. I haven’t read that much books written in verses but I always find them fascinating.

I love how this book tackled issues on religion, sexuality and reproductive health choice. The book was able to execute these issues properly which makes it reall
Amy
Jul 14, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
GRADE: C-

TWO WORDS: wrong format

Catholic school student Addie gets pregnant and chooses to have an abortion, but doesn't receive counseling to help her process the experience and she becomes depressed.

POSITIVES:

-Strong, intelligent, humorous and likable main character
-Crisp writing
-Abortion as a choice, without angst and regret
-Supportive boyfriend

NEGATIVES:

-Missing connection between feelings and insight
-Much too short
-Non-ending ending

ASK ME HOW I GOT HERE touches on some very important femi
Hannah (fullybookedreviews)
This book is written in free verse poetry, and so is a very quick read. Unfortunately, I think that's where the content falls down - there's just not enough detail to pack the emotional punch that the author was going for. I mean, the premise is certainly intriguing, and some of the poetry is wonderfully brutal in its skewering of abortion politics and relationships, among other things:

She wished they could stay this way forever, just two happy characters in a happy, funny story. But they couldn
Mehsi
Didn't expect this one to be in verse(or whatever this one is, I would call this that someone wrote a complete story and then put it in the shredder). Characters were so-so, and that open ending, arggggghhh, as if I miss a whole chunk of the book.
Brit
Jun 21, 2016 Brit rated it it was ok
Stopped on page 97. I just couldnt finish it. its written like poems. one of the worst books ive read :(
Destiny
Dec 24, 2015 Destiny rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
*see comments for review*
Amber
Jul 26, 2016 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: non-chapters
it made sense it was in verse but also didnt
Terry
Oct 26, 2016 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse-novels
Addie is a Catholic school girl and cross-country runner who is dealing with her fair share of adolescent turmoil. Perhaps a little bit more than her fair share. After Heppermann's remarkable Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty, I was excited to see what she might do with a verse novel. Certainly, pregnancy and abortion offer a wide field to explore. In comparison to her earlier book, this is disappointingly average. To be sure, her writing is clear and the plot moves along easily. There's ...more
McKayla Ragle
Oct 02, 2016 McKayla Ragle rated it liked it
Ask Me How I Got Here is a fantastic book, but I do not think that it is the book for me. It’s not the book for me because I like more of an on-edge romantic type of book. Don’t get me wrong it was a great book and it was very inspiring but I just don’t think it is my cup of tea.

I think the author's purpose of Ask Me How I Got Here was to entertain. I think this because I felt Addie’s pain throughout the book. Also I think that it would not be persuasion because I’m sure the author does not w
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Love Blind
  • Skyscraping
  • The V-Word: True Stories About First-Time Sex
  • The Language Inside
Christine Heppermann writes fiction, poetry, and criticism. Her books include Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty (2014), City Chickens (2012), and Backyard Witch (with Ron Koertge, 2015). She currently reviews young adult books for the Chicago Tribune.

Christine grew up in Omaha, Nebraska, where she attended an all-girls Catholic high school. As an undergraduate she studied philosophy and li
More about Christine Heppermann...