Start by marking “The Rogue Prince, or, A King's Brother” as Want to Read:
The Rogue Prince, or, A King's Brother

The Rogue Prince, or, A King's Brother

The Rogue Prince, or, a King’s Brother is a novella by George R. R. Martin, published in the 2014 anthology Rogues. It is set in the Westeros of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, hundreds of years before the events of A Game of Thrones (1996) during the reign of King Viserys I Targaryen. The Rogue Prince serves as a prequel to Martin's 2013 novella The Princess and t ...more
ebook
Published June 17th 2014 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Rogue Prince, or, A King's Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rogue Prince, or, A King's Brother

Ahmet
Except for dragonriders which we cruelly lack in A Song of Ice and Fire books, there was nothing interesting about this story. It's a prequel to The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens.
Yes, i know I shouldn't have expected anything great from a short-story less than 50 pages but it should have been more than what i got reading this. It's full of names that hard to remember and after sometime it's hard to track who was whose son or daughter.
Donna
I have to admit, I'll read anything George R. R. Martin puts out before The Winds of Winter comes out, I'm that desperate to read more about Westeros and the people who are unlucky enough to live there. So I gobble up preview chapters avidly, and eagerly seek out these pseudo-historical tales about the history of the Targaryens. I really enjoyed the last offering, "The Princess and the Queen", but this one seemed very much like a rehash of the former.

It's not that I don't like the Targaryens, I
Ash
"After this the storm broke, and the dragons danced and died."
This short story from the book "Rogues" is like a prequel to the story in Dangerous Women. This kind of gives us a history of the Dance of the dragons - mostly what led to the enmity and I felt this was even better than the other short story in Dangerous Women. Learning more about Viserys' daughter Rhaenyra, wife, sons and Daemon Targaryen made me appreciate Dance of the dragons story even more. I loved reading this story!
Michael McEvoy
Oct 31, 2014 Michael McEvoy rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. It's a short prequel to The Blacks and The Greens, and it really helped to establish the context of the later book. I love reading about the Targaryens, and it was interesting to get the backstory of the rivalry between Queen Alicent and Princess Rhaenyra. I would be keen to re-read the later novel again as I would definitely understand it more.
Tamara
Nov 07, 2015 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Targaryens, dragons, infidelities, incest, and intrigue. What more could you ask for???
Tova
Jul 22, 2016 Tova rated it it was amazing
OMG I LOVE THE TARGARYEN DRAMA! Review to come.
Edward Rathke
Oct 07, 2015 Edward Rathke rated it liked it
My least favorite of the Westeros historical novellas. Told in a purely historical voice, it lacks energy and a really strong sense of the characters. It feels so removed.

While interesting if you're into the whole lore and history of Westeros, it's not especially engaging as a story.

That being said, fans will read it anyway, and they'll enjoy it, because it's not bad and it adds more shape to the whole world.

I keep bouncing between two and three stars but I'll stick with three for now.
Deanna
I actually listened to this back in January or February and forgot to add it. I definitely should have read this before the princess and the queen. It was a great little back story on the Targaryen civil war.
Phil
Jun 05, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
Very interesting, but I wouldn't say that Daemon is the central character.
Bart
Oct 17, 2016 Bart rated it it was ok
Even though it had been a while since I read anything from "A Song of Ice and Fire", I found myself surrounded by familiarity just a few paragraphs into "The Rogue Prince, or, A King's Brother". GRRM chronicles the life of Daemon Targaryen and his family up to the civil war called 'Dance of Dragons', using his colorful, elaborate story telling we've come to appreciate, in the world that we all know and love.

That's also mostly what it is, reading the Targaryen chronicles. Straight from a history
Ashwath
May 08, 2016 Ashwath rated it really liked it
Harshad Sharma
Oct 15, 2016 Harshad Sharma rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Of all the accompanying Novellas of A song of Ice and Fire, this one is a gem of a story. On the life of Prince Daemon Targaryen and his complicated relationship with his brother and King Viserys Targaryen First of his name.

Prince Daemon is a legendary figure in "The Song of Ice and Fire" and has often been invoked in the story in third person context so it was amazing reading about him first hand. His leadership as the commander of city watch and the loyalty they owed him, his conquest of Step
Skyler
Sep 26, 2016 Skyler rated it it was ok
Bookhode
May 22, 2015 Bookhode rated it it was ok
Well this was rather pointless novella that is actually a prequel for yet another quite irrelevant prequel novella called The Princess and the Queen, which were both published within the last year. It's good to see that George R.R. Martin has his priorities straight. Anyway, The Rogue Prince is basically a chronicle of people and events on and around the court of Targaryens, circa year 110 (two centuries before the events in ASOIAF). It provides a background for the rivalry within the Targaryen ...more
Krystle
Jul 18, 2016 Krystle rated it liked it
While the focus was ostensibly Prince Daemon Targaryen, it seemed more to be about Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and Queen Alicent Hightower, with particular attention to their rivalry and their respective children.

To be sure, Daemon is there (what with his being Rhaenyra's uncle-husband and all). But his presence relates more to her and the greater Targaryen family, without feeling like a central figure in his own right.

And so what bits he seems active player to are limited to his time as Command
Thomas
Jul 29, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
I've rated everything A Song of Ice and Fire five stars so far -- even A Feast for Crows! -- because I look at the series as one complete work, and each volume gives a lot of detail to that complete work. I understand that's how some folks look at Tolkien's work, too, so I don't see that as being an unprecedented position.

With these two "stories," though, that trend stops. I wanted to like them. I liked the Dunk and Egg stories, so I expected this one to follow in the same vein, but what I got w
Bunny
Oct 12, 2015 Bunny rated it really liked it
This. This is the entire fucking reason I put up with the shittiness that is Rogues. It's been a year since I read the last GoT book, and while I'm past the DTs, I'm still shaky and need a fix.

It was very much worth the wait. Read by sexy shmexy voice like buttah Iain Glen, it's the story of a Who Is That Again? Targaryen from ye old dragony days. I'm going to whip out my World of Ice and Fire to see who the hell, because with 8,000 characters per book, it's hard to keep track of main characte
Brian Mikołajczyk
Jul 28, 2016 Brian Mikołajczyk rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-series
Published before George R.R. Martin’s The World of Ice & Fire, The Rouge Prince is an excerpt from that volume about a very important member of the Targaryan family, Damin Targaryan. He never became King, but many of his relatives did. He founded the Gold Cloaks, among other accomplishments. Having read part of The World of Ice & Fire, this short story reads exactly like any excerpt would from that collection. Unfortunately, it does not make for a good short story. In typical Martin ...more
Amin A
Jan 04, 2015 Amin A rated it liked it
Rating : 3.5
As a huge fan, I will read anything George Martin publishes. But to be fair, this novella was completely different from the books in the series of A Song Of Ice And Fire. I've given all those books in the series 5 stars but this one didn't really meet my expectations. I mean, I wasn't exactly looking for another Game of Thrones, but it kind of felt like this book was in no way written by my favorite author.
The story was too short, and I don’t like the style of history books for fan
Katyana
May 21, 2016 Katyana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I actually read this back when it first came out, but I have been re-reading all the novellas recently, because I think Martin is using them to give us backstory that will be relevant in ASOIAF.

Well, I mean, of course he is. It's the Targaryens, so it is relevant. But I think it will be more directly relevant, because I definitely believe Bloodraven (view spoiler), and I
Giota Bourha
Dec 17, 2015 Giota Bourha rated it really liked it
Captivating as ever!! I just can't get enough of the Targaryens and their turbulent history.

Also, still a Black! I have really strong feelings against Alicent Hightower and her spawns (apart from Daeron they were all worthless)! I take offence at the whole
"[…] the rights of a trueborn son must always come before that of a mere daughter […]"
. I know it makes me a horrible person but I'm glad her arrogance and desperation of get the Iron Throne cost her, her life and that of all of her children,
Bastia Marlowe
May 29, 2015 Bastia Marlowe rated it liked it
At first, it seemed more like another history rather than an actual story - laden with more detail and description over dialogue. However, there is so much to describe. Martin's characters are only as good as their description with a side of dialogue, because only then does the reader see what they are REALLY saying. I still rated it 3 stars for constant referring back to who's who, who's their bannermen, who's next in line, who're the bastards vs the legitimate claimants, and who's really ...more
Sophie
I can't even remember if anything was said here that wasn't already said in The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens, so I'm not sure what the point of this story was. There is that tiny teaser about the Black Swan of Lys, but that's all it is: a tease. "Alas, her tale, however fascinating, has no bearing upon our present history." DAMMIT MARTIN
Ayami
Jun 18, 2015 Ayami rated it really liked it
Read this one once I got to the Viserys chapter in The World of Ice & Fire that I'm currently devouring. Would not recommend it as a standalone novella but it does explain things better than the short description of the beginning of the conflict between the Targaryens which is what we get in the book. There's a lot of names in this novella so reading the previous chapters in the World of I&F book and consulting the Targaryen lineage chart at the end of it can help you figure out who's ...more
Brad
Apr 26, 2016 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
It has been a long time since I last read a GRRM book, so it was great to read his prose again.
However, it really is a story with too many names, and far too many similar names, and although somethings do happen, it is slow and grinding.
Take a look at the Targaryen family tree.
Picture some dragons, and imagine some dragon names.
Think about the Targaryens flying those dragons.
Saved yourself 50 pages of reading.
ThreefoldBurly
It's shorter and more contained than The Princess and the Queen, but the latter at least tried to tell a story (albeit in a format not best suited for Martin) . Here we have something that can serve at most as an introduction to THAT story. And if we treat it that way, it works and as such the two novellas definitely ought to be read in that order. At least I know it would have saved me a great deal of confusion if I did.
Nebje
Aug 01, 2016 Nebje rated it really liked it
Perfecto cuento para conocer todos los detalles previos a la primera Danza de dragones: cómo se forman los dos bandos y sobre qué argumentos se mueven.

Tenía muchas ganas de leerlos y no me han defraudado. Para ser tan cortos ambos cuentos (The rogue prince y The princess and the queen), la cantidad de personajes que sale es enorme. Magnífico trabajo del autor. Se leen muy rápido y, como siempre, te dejan con ganas de más, de ese futuro "Sangre y Fuego" que Martin quiere escribir.
Adrian
My rating: 3 stars
Audiobook narrator Iain Glen rating: 3 stars

I saw this as a short and easy read (or listen) so I decided to go for it. It was read by Ser Jorah Mormont, which made it better than it probably was. It was a little boring but it was short and gave a very brief back-story to the Song of Ice and Fire series
Trish
Jul 05, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it
I wish we had the full version of The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens. This seems to be a part that was cut out. I liked it, as background.. but there wasn't much plot.
Atanas
Feb 18, 2015 Atanas rated it liked it
Yes, I am big fan of "Song of Ice and Fire" and I am exited as child before Christmas to get my fingers on every bit of Westeros history. But the formula for this novela, a dry recap from maester Gyldayn is just not GRRM that I now from the books. Its just dry historical notes without POV to recap real Daemon nature. I really could not get the aura of that fascinating Targaryan...
  • Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft #3
  • Some Desperado
  • His Favorite, Vol. 1
  • The Fainting Room
  • Berserk, Vol. 16
  • A Decent Ride (Terry Lawson, #3)
  • Wiedźmin
  • Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection
  • Doing It Right
  • Beatles vs. Stones
  • My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
  • Habeas Porpoise
  • The Book of Wonder
  • The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...