Start by marking “A Vampire Tale (Upside Down, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Vampire Tale (Upside Down, #1)

A Vampire Tale (Upside Down #1)

Harold is a friendly young vampire - but he loves candy so much, the dentist might have to pull his teeth! Now, what if he and the dentist, plus a couple friendly bats, all get caught up in the evil plots of the local witch? It's a wild magical romp for all ages, just in time for Halloween!
Published by Top Shelf Productions (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Vampire Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vampire Tale

Paul  Hankins
Harold is a vampire bat with a sweet tooth who lives in a professor's piano with his parents. When excessive candy eating threatens the health of his teeth, he must go to the dentist.

But the real threat is not a cavity, it's Vermillion, the local power-hungry witch bent on world domination.

Smiley's quirky line drawings and depictions of plans gone awry make for a delightful graphic novel for younger readers just in time for Halloween with promises of a second book coming soon.

Rendered in strikin
Kavita Ramesh
Feb 03, 2016 Kavita Ramesh rated it really liked it
(When I picked it up, I hadn't realized that it was meant primarily for kids.)

It's a great little graphic novel for children, filled with the kinds of jokes that are sure to make them break out into giggles. A colorful and engaging read, one my young nieces will surely enjoy.
Rose Card-faux
Feb 22, 2013 Rose Card-faux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like about Upside Down is that there are lessons to be learned from it, but it doesn't talk down to the reader or spell everything out clearly. The art is enjoyably quirky and so is the story. You could read it fast and be entertained, but if you want to get the most out of it you might have to put your thinking cap on.

The only possible negative for me was that at the end I was left wondering what it was the witch's sister had done to deserve her fate (which fate seems to be a huge motiv
Elia
Sep 05, 2012 Elia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tweens, vampires
So weird... and yet... weirdly charming.
The art is obnoxiously bad to the point of extreme cuteness and the story is confusing at times, but there is something about it that is so endearingly childish. It makes you think of one of those rambling tales written by a little kid for a school creative writing assignment.
See, Harold is a vampire with a problem: he LOVES candy. In fact he loves it so much that he gets a ton of cavities and has to have his teeth pulled. He's so ashamed and afraid his p
Medeia Sharif
Sep 22, 2012 Medeia Sharif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Harold is a vampire with a sweet tooth. Because of his candy fixation, he has to go to the dentist and receives bad news regarding his teeth. He has to have them pulled out...but he needs them since he's a vampire. He questions his vampire-ness and hangs out with bats. While he’s out, he discovers that an evil witch named Vermillion is up to no good.

Harold has been living in a professor’s piano. The professor invented a serum for eternal life, which Vermillion is after. Not only does she want t
Lauren
Jul 27, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though a little longer than some kids' comics, it moves quickly due to a zany plot and many pages not being very text-heavy. Simple art, exclusively in green, black, and white, is sometimes bizarre but that's part of the appeal. Similarly, the story has lots of quirks (vampires love candy; bats poop on lady-birds), but they make it fun and funny (not all the humor is potty humor); I can tell the author had fun writing it.
Nina
Oct 19, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upside Down, A Vampire Tale is a fun, short story about a boy (vampire) and an old witch. I liked these characters, the witch was crazy and alone (sad, really) and the boy wanted to be recognized as a vampire. (not a little boy)

It's perfect for Halloween and middle graders. The illustrations are cute and charming.
Michelle Renee
I'll admit I was intrigued on this story just on the cover but was pleasantly surprised with what I ended up reading. The Illustrations were cute, and I did manage to chuckle at the plot, but it was a fun read! Not too long, and very comical!
Ashley Lynn
Aug 23, 2016 Ashley Lynn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Mehhh
Recommended to Ashley by: Found on ComiXology.
2.5 stars. That was very strange, and I'm not very sure what happened, but it was kinda fun.

Full review to come.
Dolores
Very simple graphic novel with a nice message. I enjoyed the palette used here. Think this one has kid appeal.
Ian Rhines
Aug 22, 2013 Ian Rhines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good comic book and actually had a story to it, when most comic books are confusing and change the setting every page.
Ryan M. Hanna
A very strange little book indeed. However, my students will probably like it.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: It looked cute.

I'll start with the illustrations as I was first attracted to the cover. The illustrations use a three-colour palette of green, white and black which is very appropriate for the theme. They are very simple and could have children trying to copy the drawings with a reasonable amount of success. Overall they are cute and even the "bad" character of the witch isn't that ugly to look at. The pictures will appeal to children. As for the story, I have to say I was no
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content

I was really hoping that this would be a great friendly vampire story kids to enjoy for Halloween. Harold was friendly indeed, but he fell a little flat for me as a character. The book is set up in comic book style, which seemed to be good idea for the older kids but unfortunately, the plot just couldn't keep our interest piqued.
From a mom's perspective, I understand the moral hidden among the funny images and story line and I couldn't agree more with it. But the delivery of it just couldn't be
Odette Cortés
Oct 11, 2015 Odette Cortés rated it liked it
Upside Down is the story of Harold, a young vampire with a sweet tooth. The comic follows his story, starting with the nightmares of a witch called Vermilion, who was defeated in the past, but still haunts Harold in his dreams. His family, the pets, his dentist, and the dentist's wife try to help Harold overcome his nightmares. But soon his nightmares become real when somethings that Vermilion left behind reappear.

The comic is fun and I enjoyed the illustrations a lot. It is easy to follow and v
Ryelor
Feb 20, 2014 Ryelor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids loved this book. They loved Harold and didn't like the witch. My daughter kept asking me if the vampire was going to be ok. Thankfully all turned out well in the end. The art in Upside Down is very kid friendly and charming, with a nice combination of black, white and green. There's also a good moral to the story. Additionally, if you ever have the chance to meat the author, he is a class act. On a more personal (nerdy) note, I loved that this was my children's first foray into graphic ...more
Erin
I had a hard time following some of the action in this one, because there's just a lot going on. It was a cute story about a young vampire who eats too much candy, goes to the dentist, gets his teeth pulled, then (view spoiler).
This was an ok book. I don't think the "bats" really looked much like bats when they weren't hanging. Other than that there was nothing really bad or good about this book. It was just ok. My son liked the looking at the pictures of course.

Look for my full review and other reviews on my blog (this will be posted soon)

Laura's Adventures in Bookland
Katy Jane
Jul 16, 2015 Katy Jane rated it really liked it
1. LOVED this book. It was funny, charming, clever, sweet, and kooky.
2. The art work is so neat. The green, black, and white illustrations pop and give it an eerie, yet happy feel. Strange, I know.
3. The vampires loving candy was great.
4. The professor was so cute.
5. The vampire hanging with the bats was also fun.
6. I just love how everything/everyone worked together.
Jessica
A cute little book, perfect for Halloween, about a vampire who just loves candy! The art is in a simple style that reminded me of Kate Beaton's Hark! A Vagrant! and I know that my 9yo is going to love this!
Rachael
A young vampire with a sweet tooth is too ashamed to go home after learning he'll have to get a new set of teeth. He meets a couple of non-vampire bats and uncovers a plot by the last witch in the world to rid the world of vampires. Hilarity and heartwarming ensue.
Genevieve
I wanted to be charmed by it's low-fi, kid-feeling art, but I instead was left wondering if a kid had actually narrated it (see: Axe Cop). Nice color, I'll give you that. Too bad.
Kristen
Many of the same appeal factors as The Lunch Witch, but not trying to be as visually repulsive. Should be fun for younger elementary students who say they like scary things but need a gentler read.
Lisa Bricker
I'm a sucker for candy too, and the vampires were cute, but it was...weirdly thin, disappointing. The vampire frogs were cool and the name "Vermilion" was great, though.
k.wing
May 31, 2014 k.wing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute!!
Hannah Read
Hannah Read rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Denisse
May 06, 2014 Denisse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Amé los dibujos.
Renee
Renee rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Gilgalad8002
Gilgalad8002 rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jess Smart Smiley is a joke.

Seriously. He makes rad pictures with his bare hands and loves drawing for children of all ages.

Jess is the creator of Upside Down: A Vampire Tale (an all-ages graphic novel), Rumpus on the Run (a monster look-n-find book), and the illustrator for 10 Little Monsters Visit Oregon.