Start by marking “Orphan's Song (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Orphan's Song (The Songkeeper Chronicles, #1)

Orphan's Song (The Songkeeper Chronicles #1)

Who Will Keep the Song Alive?

Every generation has a Songkeeper – one chosen to keep the memory of the Song alive. And in every generation, there are those who seek to destroy the chosen one.

Published October 1st 2014 by Enclave Publishing (first published September 23rd 2014)

Shantelle
This book fulfilled my hopeful expectations, I believe. Behind the absolutely gorgeous cover, we find an enchanting tale, akin to The Chronicles of Narnia, yet it's own.

Birdie is an orphan, just trying to protect herself from Madame's harsh words and the two terrors, the woman's spoiled sons. Strangely, she hears a Song that no one else seems to hear. Her peddler friend, Amos McElhenny warns her away from singing it ... but Birdie is determined to figure out what people are hiding from her.
This
Katie Grace
Before I even had the privilege of reading this book, I was expecting big things. I had been reading her blog for a while, and the short stories and writing articles were excellent. I had no doubt that Orphan’s Song would hold my interest.

And Gillian didn't let me down. This book was absolutely thrilling. It most definitely held my interest, and on the way captured a few hours of sleep. *yawns* That’s what good books do to you. :)

Orphan’s Song had balance. It balanced two different plot lines t
Sarah Taleweaver
Mar 01, 2015 Sarah Taleweaver rated it it was amazing
My biggest complaint about this book: the fact that it ended.

Other than that (which, sadly, most books suffer from), Orphan's Song was excellent. I loved the characters, particularly Amos. His accent, his history (secrets! oh, the secrets!), his insults and other turns of phrase (I need to add "boggswoggle" to my vocabulary), his determination to protect Birdie (even if he sometimes goes about it the wrong way) . . . he's just awesome. Can he be real? Please?

The idea of the Song and the Songkee
Sierra Faith
Feb 28, 2016 Sierra Faith rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness! I want the second book right now!!!
Deborah O'Carroll
I find it hardest to review the books I love the most. There's a reason I've never written a review for The Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Prydain, etc... Something about their greatness and the depth of my love for them makes it virtually impossible for me to even attempt to review certain books. It's a daunting task. How do I do justice to them? How do I sum up in a review with my own feeble words the vast awesomeness of how much I loved a book?

I'm going to try, though, in this case. Because ORPHA
Leah Good
Dec 17, 2015 Leah Good rated it really liked it
This book has been sitting on my shelf since I got it for Christmas, waiting to strike my fancy in a moment I was searching for a new read. Fancy struck on Thursday, but my day was so busy I carried it around all day and only read the first chapter. However, on Friday my work got canceled because of snow, so I ended up plowing through almost the entire book in one day.

The first few chapters had me worried. The story had it's unique points, but seemed to fall into the tired pattern of many fantas
Jason Joyner
I don't give 5 stars often. I try to save them for the best books. It's even less likely that I give 5 stars to a debut author, as there is always room for improvement with them.

But this debut by Gillian Bronte Adams breaks through with exceptional writing.

Birdie is an orphan who lives with a mean innkeeper and is used for cheap labor. She longs to escape but has nowhere to run. And she hears a strange but beautiful melody that no one else can hear.

When an evil Khelari soldier discovers her id
Ashlee Willis
Nov 01, 2014 Ashlee Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, Christians, adults
What a unique book, and what a privilege for me to get to review it!

Adams writes in a fresh, imaginative, and descriptive style. Her main characters are quirky and lovable (and sometimes hate-able!), and - most importantly - believable. She writes in third person omniscient, floating from one person's inward thoughts/POV to another's. I don't read many books written this way, and I've always balked at writing this way. However, Adams does it in a way that flows completely naturally. I never fel
Melody Jackson
Jan 07, 2015 Melody Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orphan's Song has definitely proven to be a great start to what I expect will be an exciting new series! The characters were wonderfully real and enjoyable (Amos was by far my favorite with all his 'boggswoggle' and other such things. (view spoiler))

The whole Song thing...wow. I love the idea, and it's portrayed so beautifully in the book, I simply wish I knew the notes
Hannah White
This is going to be an amazing book! I can't wait! Everyone go check out Gillian on her blog: http://ofbattlesdragonsandswordsofada...
Gillian is hilarious and if you love reading an writing, that's the place to go. Cannot wait for this book's release!
Zac
Synopsis:

Who Will Keep the Song Alive?

When Birdie's song draws the attention of a dangerous Khelari soldier, she is kidnapped and thrust into a world of ancient secrets and betrayals. Rescued by her old friend, traveling peddler Amos McElhenny, Birdie flees the clutches of her enemies in pursuit of the truth behind the Song’s power.

Ky
John Otte
Nov 04, 2014 John Otte rated it it was amazing
An excellent debut by Gillian Bronte Adams! Very fun read, very imaginative, and I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book!
E.F.B.
May 16, 2016 E.F.B. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
All I can say is, I loved it! I loved the writing, I loved the characters, I loved the story, and I didn't want it to end! I neeeeed the next book! *grabby hands*
Hannah
Mar 01, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing

I knew before I opened this up that the story would be good.

After following the author's blog, hearing of her beautiful, busy life, and reading her lovely short stories, I knew that Gillian Bronte Adams would write stories that are special. So I was rather determined to read her first book at once.

I was not disappointed.

First of all--her characters. Her cast is simply delightful. She takes common types--the poor orphan girl, the street scamp, the fun-loving protector with a dark past, and spins
Claire Banschbach
Nov 24, 2015 Claire Banschbach rated it really liked it
This was a really neat book with an intriguing premise. I really liked Birdie and her ability. The Song was beautiful and I liked how she struggled with accepting how it was a part of her.
Ky was really interesting and I loved getting back to his story. The Underground was really cool and I really liked getting to know more about the kids that roamed the streets. His story took a neat twist and I'm looking forward to seeing where his story will go.
Amos was...frustrating. He was a good character
Emileigh Latham
Aug 24, 2015 Emileigh Latham rated it it was amazing
Where is book 2?
Hannah
Sep 22, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come soon!
Allison Ruvidich
Gillian Bronte Adams is my blogging hero. She's been blogging for six years, and her followers have grown into the hundreds. So I was understandably excited when she announced this May that she was publishing her first book, under the sweet, adventurous title Orphan's Song. And my excitement only grew when, in September, I got an ARC.

This is the part of the review where I say that I am being a stern, honest reviewer even though I got a free copy. So... yes.

For all of her short, miserable life
Ghost Ryter
Orphan's Song is a thoroughly enjoyable read. Here we have a strong allegory, griffins, chilling adventures, secrets, a talking cat, and inventive cursing. And there's a cast of delightful characters, not the least of which is Amos McElhenny (the one doing most of that boggswoggle inventive cursing), who really rather surprised me when it turned out--

No, I won't say anything. But he was my absolute favorite character here! (Although it was a close tie with George Eregius Waltham the third....)

I
Stefanie MacWilliams
reviews

Title:Orphan's Song
Author:Gillian Bronte Adams (Twitter) (Facebook)

Pages:234

Publisher:Enclave Publishing

Genres:Young Adult, Christian,Fantasy

Orphan's Song by Gillian Bronte Adams - Review | CalledHis.com

Via Goodreads:Who Will Keep the Song Alive?

Every generation has a Songkeeper - one chosen to keep the memory of the Song alive. And in every generation, there are those who seek to destroy the chosen one.

Madeline Roush
May 06, 2016 Madeline Roush rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-enjoy
Orphan's Song - Gillian Bronte Adams. Genre
Christian fiction/fantasy
My rating: 4 stars.
Recommended age: 12+
Violence - Mild There are some fight scenes, and they do talk about seeing a body, shoving a sword through someone, blood dripping down, etc. But it's not to much information to the point where it makes you queasy.
Romance - NONE
Profanity - NONE (although... some people may not like Amos's "language". There was no cussing or swearing, just some amusing words that he would make up, like
Laura Dawn Pol
Jan 13, 2015 Laura Dawn Pol rated it really liked it
Wow what an epic adventure! It was so good even if there were some places that were a little violent/gory (which is the only reason I’m giving this novel 4.5 stars rather than 5 stars).

From the beginning I fell in love with all the characters! They were all so fleshed out as well unique with pains and struggles of their own. I will admit that I did go through a short spell of being mad at Amos, but once I found out more of his past I got a better understanding of why he acted the way he did.

I th
Lisa Godfrees
I haven't seen music used in a novel since Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall of Pern series. Being an amateur musician, I much enjoyed the song woven throughout the story.

Orphan's Song introduces us to a new world with mythical beasts, talking animals, heroes in hiding, a single survivor of hunted race, an evil regime, and a godly weapon. Need I say anything more?

The writing is great. I loved the characters, especially George. :) I would have rated it higher except the story doesn't come to closure.
Grace
Feb 26, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing
Excellent! It pulled me in from the first sentence and kept my interest all the way through. Diverse and engaging characters, a proper amount of intrigue, and the rich theme of the Song wove this book together beautifully. A little heavy on the description in some places earlier on in the story, but that soon evened out. I can't wait for the next installment!
Hope Ann
Apr 06, 2016 Hope Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I loved Orphan's Song from the very first page. Masterfully written, with a gripping story, very distinct characters, and a fantasy world of wonderful depth, this is an exciting read. I can hardly wait to see what the next book in this series brings.
Grace
May 16, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was a little confusing at first but once you begin to expect the unexpected, you really get involved in the story!
David Bergsland
Book #1 of The Songkeeper Chronicles is out to acclamation by the readers of her blog. She is a polished, online, social communicator who obviously loves to write and is very good at it. Her debut novel (after a few short stories) is very well written. She has all the pieces, and she'll probably be quite popular. If you like fantasy, you should buy a copy of this book and read it. However, there are some issues for me.

It's a depressing book

Book 1 is just one disaster after another. There is mome
Brandon
Oct 27, 2014 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-empty-shelf
Imagine there is a song that embodies the power of the world. Imagine that to sing that song is to touch the power of creation and change the nature of things around you – to heal the broken, to prevent harm to others, to affect the actions of others and sense when people are near. Imagine that you alone can hear the song, and your voice alone can sing it.

This is the life of the orphan Birdie, the main character of Orphan’s Song by Gillian Bronte Adams, first book in the Songkeeper Chronicles. B
Clare Farrelly
Jun 17, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it really liked it
I can't believe I did not realize that the creature on the cover is a griffin and not a giant eagle. Anyway I rate this one at 4.5, there is nothing wrong with the book or content, but it just was not as amazing as some. I have so much trouble deciding if I should start with the good or the bad or in this case the not so good. I think I will start with that because then I can end on a positive note.

Not so good: Orphan's Song is a fantasy book and they do a lot of traveling, but there IS NO MAP.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Songkeeper Chroni...: Cade 16 16 Oct 16, 2016 02:03PM
Songkeeper Chroni...: Carhartan 20 17 May 16, 2016 06:04PM
Christian Book Gi...: 3 Fantasy Giveaways: Storm Siren, Orphan's Song, and Out of Darkness Rising 2 10 Feb 10, 2015 11:19AM
Christian-Fiction...: Orphan's Song - ENDS 02/12!!! 1 6 Feb 07, 2015 09:07PM
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #1.5)
  • Goddess Tithe (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5.5)
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar #2)
  • The Ryn (Eyes of E'veria, #1)
  • King (Books of the Infinite, #3)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • Hebbros (Companions of Arcrea, #1)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Mardan's Mark (Mardan's Mark, #1)
  • The Word Changers
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral #3)
  • Truth (Makilien, #1)
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
Gillian Bronte Adams is a sword-wielding, horse-riding, coffee-loving speculative fiction author from the great state of Texas. During the day, she manages the equestrian program at a youth camp, but at night, she kicks off her boots and spurs, pulls out her trusty laptop, and transforms into a novelist. Her love of epic stories and a desire to tell truth in a unique way drew her to the realm of ...more
More about Gillian Bronte Adams...

The Songkeeper Chronicles (2 books)
  • Songkeeper (The Songkeeper Chronicles #2)

“At the worst times, the best plan was often no plan. And Ky excelled at coming up with no plan.” 4 likes
“It called her by name. Birdie. Songkeeper. Beloved. You are mine.” 3 likes