Start by marking “Why We Can't Afford the Rich” as Want to Read:
Why We Can't Afford the Rich

Why We Can't Afford the Rich

Even as inequalities widen, the effects of austerity deepen, and the consequences of recession linger, in many countries the wealth of the rich has soared. Why We Can’t Afford the Rich exposes the unjust and dysfunctional mechanisms that allow the top 1% to siphon off wealth produced by others through the control of property and money. Leading social scientist Andrew Sayer ...more
Published April 15th 2015 by Policy Press (first published November 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Why We Can't Afford the Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We Can't Afford the Rich

Dinko
Jul 09, 2015 Dinko rated it it was ok
Many good points but so much false logic, and so many poor examples that by the time you've reached the 20% mark, you no longer care what he has to say. I still finished it, but it needs some serious editing.

At one point, for example, to counter the neoliberal defence of paying interest on loans, he gives the example of a family taking out a loan to purchase Christmas gifts for their children.
His argument being that to combat their shame and their children's lack of worth, the parents are coerc
Kate Hinds
Apr 13, 2015 Kate Hinds rated it really liked it
This was a tub thumping read. It provided some good ways of evaluating policies concerning tax policy in that it distinguishes productive contributions to society and those among us that get rich by extracting wealth, the so called rentiers. So the recent Tory policies around inheritance tax supports a society that collaborates with rentiers, in that it enables the children of the wealthy to inherit their income rather than earn it. It give some arguments to understand why the Tory party is the ...more
Warren
Mar 18, 2015 Warren rated it liked it
Shelves: ipe, globalisation
Interesting book if you're looking for an overview of the current state of the economy and why we're in the state that we're in. There wasn't anything in the book that I hadn't read elsewhere before so the book didn't offer any fresh perspective for me. However, I would, as i mentioned at the outset, recommend this book as a starting point. The author confesses at the start that he picks the best parts of economic thinking, so there is some Marx and Keynes scattered throughout the book, but the ...more
Richard McMahon
May 27, 2016 Richard McMahon rated it it was ok
This book starts out well, with a reasoned critique of the system which has allowed a tiny percent of the world's population to amass most of its wealth. However, when offering solutions it slips into discredited socialist solutions, most of which have already failed. Most radical, the author calls for the elimination of the payment of interest, pointing out it is already forbidden by Sharia law (a fine example!). What lending agency will give me a mortgage on my home if they can't collect ...more
NarniaGirl
Mar 05, 2015 NarniaGirl rated it liked it
Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Basically this is a book evaluating the economic justifications of the rich in today's society. Not a bedside read for sure, but it is thought-provoking. Why are the rich here? Do the rich have a place in society? Some of it was a bit over my head and I didn't read it from cover to cover and while I may not agree with everything Sayer says, he does raise reasonable questions about the inequality of wealth in society.
Trish McLellan
Jun 12, 2016 Trish McLellan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
I agree with Andrew Sayer that we can't afford the rich people in this world. They "steal" from the poorer people in society and money rushes up to those who already have more than they need. The author also comes with some suggestions for changes in our society. The one that I think would be useful to start working on is making all employees shareholders in the company they work for and not allowing non-employees a share in the profits of the company.
Matthew Wilson
Jan 10, 2016 Matthew Wilson rated it really liked it
Shawndra
Jun 08, 2015 Shawndra rated it liked it
This was more pure political economy than I realized it was going to be. Just fair warning to those who might not have a grasp on that lingo and the data breakdowns presented.

I enjoyed it though and it was nice to see the hard breakdowns of something that is a fairly "well, duh of course" topic that gets skimmed over and outright lied about by those looking to protect their own interests.
Athene Wherrett
Jan 30, 2015 Athene Wherrett rated it really liked it
A very good introduction to everything that is wrong with our economy and the world. Since reading this book I've existed in a state of semi-permanent outrage. Just ask my friends!
José María
Jun 30, 2016 José María rated it liked it
Empieza bien, pero se va desinflando. Conviene leerlo, de todas formas. La primera parte, sobre la extracción de rentas, es fantástica.
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Anand
Anand rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Jess Ordonez
Jess Ordonez rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Steven Cudahy
Steven Cudahy rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Arto
Arto rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Joshua Reynolds
Joshua Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Sachin Patel
Feb 18, 2015 Sachin Patel rated it it was amazing
Great book. Has turned me into a socialist though.
Samuel Ilelaboye
Samuel Ilelaboye rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Ryan Walker
Ryan Walker rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Patrick Mooney
Patrick Mooney rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2015
Rev. Haberer
Rev. Haberer rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Rory Harden
Rory Harden rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Laura Wyles
Laura Wyles rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Desert
Desert rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Chris Pesterfield
Chris Pesterfield rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Michel Schinz
Michel Schinz rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Alex Cox
Alex Cox rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
  • Treasure Islands: Uncovering the Damage of Offshore Banking and Tax Havens
  • Europe after the Minotaur: Greece and the Future of the Global Economy
  • The Extreme Centre: A Warning
  • The Ruins Of Empires
  • Reclaiming Development: An Economic Policy Handbook for Activists and Policymakers
  • The Shareholder Value Myth: How Putting Shareholders First Harms Investors, Corporations, and the Public
  • Envisioning Real Utopias
  • Post Black: How a New Generation Is Redefining African American Identity
  • Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach
  • The Global Class War: How America's Bipartisan Elite Lost Our Future - and What It Will Take to Win It Back
  • The Obamas: The Untold Story of an African Family
  • The Conspiracy to Destroy Black Women
  • Earth and High Heaven
  • MEDICAL INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: The $ickness Industry, Big Pharma and Suppressed Cures (The Underground Knowledge Series, #3)
  • Caveman Logic: The Persistence of Primitive Thinking in a Modern World
  • Visible Learning and the Science of How We Learn
  • Decoding The Lost Symbol: The Unauthorized Expert Guide to the Facts Behind the Fiction
  • Replenishing the Earth: Spiritual Values for Healing Ourselves and the World