Start by marking “A Debt Paid in Marriage (Business of Marriage #1)” as Want to Read:
A Debt Paid in Marriage (Business of Marriage #1)

A Debt Paid in Marriage (Business of Marriage #1)

"What am I to him? A contract? A convenient solution?"

Laura Townsend's plan to reclaim her family's merchandise backfires when she creeps into moneylender Philip Rathbone's house and threatens him with a pistol, only to find him reclining naked in his bath!

The last thing she expects is to see this guarded widower on her doorstep a couple of days later armed with a very s
Published February 17th 2015 by Harlequin Books (first published February 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Debt Paid in Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Debt Paid in Marriage

Caz
Sep 10, 2016 Caz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B at AAR, so that's 4 stars.

It’s quite refreshing to find a story set in this period in which the protagonists are ordinary working people. In A Debt Paid in Marriage, Laura Townsend and her mother are left to the care of her uncle following the death of Laura’s father, who was a prosperous draper. Unfortunately, Robert Townsend very quickly gambles away the family business and reduces them all to penury.

In a desperate, last-ditch attempt to salvage something, Laura sneaks in
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I enjoyed this first book in Georgie Lee’s “Business of Marriage” series. It features a marriage of convenience but refreshingly both the hero and heroine are ordinary working people – not a title in sight.

Following the death of her father, Laura Townsend and her mother find themselves in the care of her Uncle Robert who has inherited her father’s flourishing draper business. However, he has borrowed money from moneylender Philip Rathbone to pay off his large gambling debts, using the business’s
Susan
A very good story. It was terrific to read a Regency story without the usual lords and ladies. In this case we have Laura Townsend, whose unscrupulous uncle has lost the family business to a local moneylender. Desperate, Laura sneaks into Philip's home, hoping to force him to return the store merchandise so she can restore the business. However, it doesn't quite work out that way.

Philip is relaxing in the bath when Laura appears before him, pistol in hand. He's amazingly unfazed, rising naked fr
Lyuda
Jun 11, 2015 Lyuda rated it liked it
Marriage of convenience regency times story with no dukes, earls, viscounts or even minor gentry in sight. What a refreshing concept! The start was intriguing to say the least: the heroine brandishes a pistol in front of the hero who reclines naked in bath. The hero, a widower Philip Rathbone, belongs to both feared and despised profession of moneylenders. He loans his clients money, indicates collateral and seizes the collateral when the unfortunate client can't pay the loan back. The ...more
Nicole Laverdure
Mar 06, 2015 Nicole Laverdure rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a sweet and romantic love story and found A Debt paid in Marriage, written by Georgie Lee. What a beautiful story! This author is very descriptive, so I found it refreshing to follow Philip and Laura's journey. London 1817, Laura Townsend has lost everything, because of her uncle gambling debts. She concocts the plan to invade Philip Rathbone's house, but soon finds him naked in his bath. Philip is a moneylender and businessman, but also a perfect gentleman! In need of a wife, ...more
Carrie
Was refreshing to read a regency with no aristocrats. No earls in the mix here, just honest hard-working folk. Well mostly honest, some are lying to themselves. (view spoiler)
Elaine
Jan 24, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. Plot and characters were fab. I think this may be my first Georgie Lee novel, but will read more of hers.
Trenchologist
Oct 30, 2016 Trenchologist rated it really liked it
Satisfying. There's good emotion and strong leads here, but the visuals (I kept realizing I didn't know what anyone or place really looked like), and development of secondary characters was thin. The story moved along well, and though the villain and plot points were "obvious" [sounds like a dirty word of complaint, isn't meant to be] but hit the right beats, and the emotional points after the external conflict got resolved offered a nice twist on getting to the HEA.

3+ stars.

Pleasant read. I'd d
Ruth
A great, character driven story about a grieving widow marrying for to find a mother for his infant son, and a woman marrying to find an escape from poverty. I enjoyed watching them deal with their past wounds as they learned to deal as man and wife and become partners and companions to each other.
Deirdre
Nov 03, 2016 Deirdre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well when the meeting is with him in his bath and her with a gun things are going to be explosive.
kate
Jun 07, 2015 kate rated it it was ok
Heroine kept questioning whether she should marry the wealthy moneylender who was kind and compassionate to her and her mother. This went on for pretty much the first half of the book. She was living in a rat infested hovel. Her mother was ill and could barely get out of bed. They were both starving. And oh yeah her uncle was brokering a deal to sell her to the local brothel. Frankly I had a hard time understanding her dilemma. I would have kissed the hero's feet and worked my way up from there. ...more
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
I'm being mean with this rating. Objectively this is probably a four star book, but, for me, it just didn't hit the spot. Especially odd because, usually, I bloody love a marriage of convenience yarn. Perfectly well written, nicely drawn characters, believable conflict, not too stuffed with plot but it just felt flat. The romance wasn't strong enough. The h/h didn't have the requisite chemistry, it was like siblings falling in love (but somewhat less creepy than that idea). It also begins in an ...more
Lorka
Mar 22, 2016 Lorka rated it it was ok
Well, it wasn't horrible. Maybe because I have been reading traditional 350 pg. historical romance books for the last 20 yrs., that these thin Harlequin books leave me feeling like so much more could have been done with the storyline, characters could have been developed out more, etc. That being said, I normally judge a book on how well I like the main characters... The heroine in this story started off as a temper-tantrum unappreciative brat, so I didn't care for her at all :(
garnetyuna
Sep 19, 2015 garnetyuna rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f, historical, favorites
3,5 stars.

EDIT: 06-09-2015
I have also read the Italian edition, the rating is the same but there's something bothering me a bit... the italian cover. It's really awful. He's supposed to be naked (and in the cover he is not), and she's blonde in the book but in the cover she's a brunette and she doesn't have a gun in her hands =__= and plus she looks like one arm is missing (lol). Like, wtf?!
Aside from that, everything else is okay, even the translation.
Kiki
Apr 23, 2016 Kiki rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, the characters were not titled and were normal class citizens trying to make their way in their world. They had ups and downs, I wish the story was longer and the villain was better developed. But this was a wonderful read and I would definitely read again!
Barnaby
Mar 19, 2016 Barnaby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some Mills & Boon novels can be immensely fun, but this one really dragged towards the end. Still, it is what it is, and made for a silly piece of fun on a delayed train journey home.
Avis
Avis rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Christine Tamaska
Christine Tamaska rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Rosanna
Rosanna rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Julie Dunigan
Julie Dunigan rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Mary Hart
Mary Hart rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Ren Thompson
Oct 12, 2015 Ren Thompson rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually
Elc
Elc rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Lyza
Lyza rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Deborah Cade
Deborah Cade rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
David G
David G rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Melania Ramona
Melania Ramona rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 19, 2015 03:10PM
  • Secrets of a Gentleman Escort (Rakes Who Make Husbands Jealous #1)
  • Unlacing Lady Thea
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • A Dark and Brooding Gentleman
  • The Runaway Countess
  • An Escapade and An Engagement
  • Haunted by the Earl's Touch
  • Strangers at the Altar
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • The Blacksmith's Wife
  • Salvation in the Rancher's Arms (Salvation Falls, #1)
  • Unveiling Lady Clare (Knights of Champagne #2)
  • Never Trust a Rebel
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2)
A lifelong history buff, award winning author Georgie Lee hasn’t given up hope that she will one day inherit a title and a manor house. Until then, she fulfills her dreams of lords, ladies and a season in London through her stories. When not writing, she can be found reading non-fiction history or watching any movie with a costume and an accent. Please visit www.georgie-lee.com to learn more about ...more
More about Georgie Lee...

Business of Marriage (3 books)
  • A Too Convenient Marriage (Business of Marriage #2)
  • Miss Marianne's Disgrace