Angels

Angels (Walsh Family #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  17,916 ratings  ·  515 reviews
A new Marian Keyes novel is always something to celebrate, and her sixth novel, Angels, will have you cheering. From the first couple of sentences: "I'd always lived a fairly blameless life. Up until the day I left my husband and ran away to Hollywood, I'd hardly ever put a foot wrong" to the hugely satisfying last page, you're immediately involved in the story of Maggie W...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 2003 by Poolbeg Press (first published May 28th 2002)

Ellen
Disappointing. I have loved other Keyes novels, but this one is SLOW. Nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens for FAR too long, mostly because the main character doesn't want anything, so she's not trying to do anything, so you get endless descriptions of her pointless days of hanging out. It's quite a long slog through the middle part. And Keyes seems to think Los Angeles "wackiness" makes up for all that, but it does NOT. At the end it gets pretty good, but I'm frankly surprised I ma...more
Faith
I consider Angels the best book Marian Keyes has ever written (although I havent yet read all her books). Maggie is clearly the most sympathetic of the Walsh-sisters. I also think that Angels deals with wider themes. Maggie's problem isnt really low self-esteem, like Claire's and Rachel's. She’s somehow a deeper character. I also liked the plot. In Angels Marian Keyes is more entertaining than ever. I really laughed, especially when Maggie’s family came to LA to visit her. The Walsh family seems...more
Mulva?
Prologue:

"Shortly we will be landing at Los Angeles International Airport. Please ensure that your seat is in the upright position, that you weigh less than a hundred pounds, and that you have excellent teeth."

funny.
Rainbow
My second favorite Marian Keyes book. I don't have many left to read, and I feel like a junkie at the end of my stash.
Marian Keyes is one of my favorite authors. At first glance her novels appear to be "chick-lit" but once you start reading them, you realize there is a thoughtful depth to them. Sometimes it takes well into the novel for the true subject to be revealed, but it it always entertaining, and most times, funny, on the way there.

This is an oldie but goodie I had in my shelves that I came across when I was waiting for a library book to come in. Ms. Keyes' novels always make me feel like a better person...more
Trin
Krystal
I'm in the first couple pages, and can't wait to read more already. I love Keyes. She's had a couple little missteps, in decidedly subjective opinion. This though, has had me thinking all day! That's always a good sign.
Some of the content was painfully familair to me, but amazing in it's accuracy.
I seriously loved "Mammy Walsh" and Helen appearances throughout the story. There bits were so comical, especially the visit to LA.

Loved this one. I think this may be my favorite yet. I can't wait for...more
Jan Hubert Castillo
Marian Keyes' style of writing needs getting used to. She writes in a very un-Sophie Kinsella way (which is what I'm used to). This is my first time to read a book by her and I'm impressed. She writes nonsense things with depths. I don't know if that makes any sense but I think, for this book, it does.

Okay.

Angels is the story of Margaret "Maggie" Walsh and her flight to Los Angeles after she found out about her husband Garv's affair with truffle woman. Maggie is probably one of my favorite ficti...more
Rebecca
Keyes strikes again! I think I am getting to the end of her books and I can’t say I am unhappy about it. She continues to write about another daughter in the same family and the only daughter I have left is the youngest, most annoying one and I hope she hasn’t written a book featuring this daughter. This story is about Maggie, the most responsible of the daughters, whose married just falls apart and she runs off to LA to see her best friend. And she goes crazy. Apparently the reason she subconsc...more
Alison
Oh chicklit, how I miss thee. Although this chicklit wasn't all light and fluffy, it actually dealt with some serious issues that made me tear up as I read it. The protagonist is hilarious, her adventures in LA awesome. Although I must say I found it really annoying that every other people she met in LA kept saying she was from Iowa when she said she was from Ireland. I mean I hate so-cal as much as the next person, but they're not that dumb. Oh and I love the big fight she has with her husband,...more
Alcy_girl
I have only really liked some of the Walsh family books from Marian Keyes, and this wasn't one of them.

With the breakdown of her marriage, I was interested to see where Maggie would go. I was disappointed. She didn't really stray much from herself, and when she did, it was for such a brief moment in the book, that it was over before I realised it had happened.

It was all a little too predictable for my liking, but it was an ok light read between some heavier suspense stories.
Carrie
okay, i started reading this book and i thought it was AWFUL! i got to chapter 5 and it was getting more awful! I don't seem to ever do this, but I quit reading the book and returned it to the library. it just wasn't worth my time. i don't know if it was because i hadn't read any of the others in the series and didn't know the characters, but i didn't want to know them, they werent worth it! i wouldn't even give it a full star, maybe a quarter of a star.

SKIP it!
Annet
Well... chicklit is not on top of my list. Unless it is VERY good, like Bridget Jones, or I just need to enjoy myself and relax. I remember reading this one when I went on holiday and really needed to unwind from work stress. I do confirm I need to try another Marian Keyes book. She's not bad, it just isn't my top genre. Will be back with other Keyes reviews I'm sure. Three stars therefore.
Ellie
Vanessa
My favorite chick lit author. My third time through. Though it's not her best one. It's so easy to follow, funny and light. It's not too bubblegummy though. Woman finds out her husband is cheating. Woman leaves Dublin for L.A. to live with her screen writer BFF. Lots of embarrassing moments, mistakes and self actualizations. Ah!
Bonnie
Marian Keyes gives the reader another story from the Walsh family saga and this time she focuses on Maggie. Where her sister Rachel was reckless and Claire dramatic, Maggie settled early for the safety of marriage. When she discovers her husband is cheating and her boss fires her, she turns to her friend Emily who lives in Los Angeles. There she spends days at the beach trying to decide what she should do.

From the moment she arrived in the City of Angels, she mixes with movie stars and pitches...more
Molly
This was the first Marian Keyes book that I read. I was hooked from the get-go. Her characters are colorful and real. I can hear myself having some of the conversations and doing some of the same things especially when I was in my early 20's.

Supreme Chick Lit.
Great beach read.
Lori
another beach read. can you tell i spent a weekend sitting in the hammock in Maine rotting my brain? This was not the best of this genre. wouldn't recommend it. I mean how many Irish people move to LA after a divorce? and have friends writing movie scripts.
Jul 15, 2008 Laura marked it as probablywontfinish  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I just cannot get into this book. I've been plugging away for days and days, I'm only like 1/3 of the way through, and I am just not interested. This doesn't seem as fun as the other Walsh family books.
Emma Meade
I love Marian Keyes. She is one of my favourite authors and Angels is the first book of hers I read. Set in LA, it's full of humour, a little bit of romance, friendship and charm. I laughed out loud throughout this.
Lizzy
This is another Marian Keyes book I don't really remember, but I've said it before...you can't go wrong with Marian for chick lit. She's so funny, and so real at times. I always laugh and cry.
Inés Jaime
I enjoyed this book so much. It´s life, is about small things and big things. About funny and sad episodes. I laughed till cried and I cried till laughed. The book has a lot of characters and all of them have a real reason for being there. We all know the Walsh family and there whereabouts. Maggie was the "good" daughter, the well behaved girl, but no one is so perfect and here we learn about her wild side. I didn´t expect Maggie to be funny or never suspected a thing about her past, so was real...more
Nicola
It was a really enjoyable read! It had me crying and laughing my head off!! They talked so much about manicures and haircuts that it has put me in the mood for a pampering session!! lmao!!
Shannon
Oct 18, 2007 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my girlfriends
Chic lit, yes, but such a funny read. I read this book at the gym while on the cardio machines and almost fell off the stairmaster laughing out loud. very enjoyable.
Quanti
I dunno. I really like the way Marian Keyes writes - but I REALLY HATE her main characters. Maybe it's because I'm just not so much into dresses and cosmetics and small mens bums, but I guess I could tolerate those topics in case all those women wouldn't act like stupid cows with only two brain cells - and yet be proud of it. They're in their thirties and still think and behave like stupid teenagers and it's killing me. But nevertheless, I was interested about the conclusion and got some rather...more
Mrs. Lapacka
Fun, but not my favorite of hers.
Stacy
this was an ok girl book
Anita Smith
LOVED this!!!! :-)
Amanda Svensson
I absolutely love this entire series I especially like this one! The characters have incredible depth, I'm slightly blown away by it.

When I read the first two Maggie wasn't necessarily my favorite, but after reading this one I realize that it was because I didn't understand her. I actually like that about all the books, they don't make all they're siblings out to be these fantastic, perfect people. They've got flaws, and plenty of them. I think it's always easier to find flaws in people the clo...more
bookczuk
(Slight spoiler in last paragraph, but not a biggie. Just stop reading when you hit the word "aplomb" if you don't want to find out a later-in-the-book revealed tidbit about Maggie and Garv.)

Light, fun read. I'm embarrassed to say that my reading of this author is so sporadic that I hadn't realized many of her main characters were sisters. I guess I just thought she liked to write about large Irish families stuffed full of girls.

Fun to see La-La land via the eyes of an Irish writer. I listened t...more
  • Best of Friends
  • Being Committed
  • Babyville
  • Bad Behaviour
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Thirtynothing
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • The One You Really Want
  • Getting Personal
  • Second Thyme Around
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...
Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) Sushi for Beginners Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2) Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4) Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

“smarter than me. But here's the thing my life did get better. I made a decision to let go of my dreams, because they were killing me, and I stopped asking the impossible of myself. I changed my attitude and decided to focus on what I had rather than what i didn't have.” 20 likes
“Political correctness is a minefield” 8 likes