Start by marking “Pug, l'apprenti (Les chroniques de Krondor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pug, l'apprenti (Les chroniques de Krondor, #1)

Pug, l'apprenti (The Riftwar Saga #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  52,604 ratings  ·  972 reviews
Pug est un apprenti dans le château du Duc de Crydee dans le royaume de Krondor, sur Midkemia. Son maître est Kulgan le magicien de la cour. Mais si Pug est indéniablement doué pour la magie, aucune des formes que l'on donne à cet art en Krondor ne semble lui convenir. Il lui faudra changer de monde pour trouver sa voie et apprendre d'un magicien immortel que son destin es ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Mister Fantasy (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Pug, l'apprenti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pug, l'apprenti

Ori Fienberg
Earlier this year I got back into the fantasy genre by reading Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. Since then I've been reading backwards; finding the authors Rothfuss was favorably compared to and reading their books.

I was very taken with the author I read next, George R. R. Martin, and would happily have continued the Song of Fire and Ice series, but apparently the next book in that series has been postponed till 2013. So I chose Raymond Feist who was next on my list.

To a total fantasy v
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Magician: Apprentice is an appealing introduction into an epic fantasy series that a newbie can enjoy. It offers a young hero who is just at the beginning of his journey to find his purpose in life. Feist offers a fantasy world on the brink of war from a threat that has the capacity to bring great change to Midkemia as they know it.

While the world has a typical medieval-type feel, the variety of races presented give the world an incredible texture. I loved the descriptions of the elves and thei
I first read this book shortly after it came out in the early 80's while in my 20's. It's every bit as enjoyable on the 4th read almost 30 years later. In many ways, it is a very typical fantasy, but the character's pop very well & the world has enough new elements to make it quite intriguing. The quick pace hides a complexity that becomes apparent as the story progresses & we're led deeper into the world.

Since I have a towering TBR pile, I re-read sparingly. I'm so happy I did this aga
This was a really hard book for me to rate. It went from amazing 5 stars to disappointing 2, so after giving it a thought I decided to go with solid 3 stars.

I’m still not sure how to write this review, because my feelings towards the book are mixed (to say the least), so I’m gonna go with the old way: things I liked and things I didn’t like.

Let’s start off with the things I liked:
-Amazing world Feist created. I think the world building was my favorite part of the book
-Interesting characters, es
I wanted to like this book. I really did. First, a major caveat: The Magician: Apprentice is only one part of a two-volume novel. The second volume, The Magician: Master, completes the tale. Given this, it isn’t really fair to judge the first volume on many points, so keep in mind that my review applies almost exclusively to this first volume.

The Magician: Apprentice is a story centered on — you guessed it — a magician’s apprentice named Pug who finds himself an unlikely hero when the world of M
Mikel C.
I must admit, when I was really young, I did not read that much. I was a sports kid, Soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in spring and summer. Many years straight through, and if I wasn't practicing or playing, I was playing sports with the neighborhood kids.

It was not until I was 10 or so that I started actually reading the books that the teachers told us to, rather than skimming them over or getting the notes from the dilligent kid in the neighborhood to pass a quiz or test.
Seth T.
Raymond Feist is to fantasy literature what Greg Rucka is to crime/espionage literature. He presents stories in a workmanlike fashion, neither embracing literary elegance or dwelling overlong on that which does not forward the story itself, and yet he offers a rollicking good time. His characters are all interesting and his narrative twists retain reader interest. He is not a great author, but he is certainly a good author.

And sometimes, good is just what the doctor ordered.

Both halves of Magic
2.5 stars. It has been a while since I read this but I remember thinking it was decent but not great. Given the number of really positive reviews, I have put this on my list of books to re-read in case I missed something the first time around.
Mar 18, 2014 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS February 2011 Series Selection
Executive Summary: Traditional fantasy that while enjoyable for me, isn't as good as the fantasy being released today.

Full Review
Last month I was visited Borderlands and wanted to pick up something to read on the flight home. Yes I have a ton of unread ebooks, but I still prefer paper, especially when on a plane. Also, I have a book buying problem.

I've been meaning to check out Raymond Feist for awhile, so this seemed like a good time to finally do so. I read about half of the book during my t
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

It is interesting to be reading the Belgariad by David Eddings and the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist at the same time. Published very close together in time, they have some striking similarities and I can see why they were very popular in their day. Both feature boys becoming men and also becoming sorcerers/magicians.

For me, the Riftwar Saga is much more engaging of the two. I like Feist’s writing better and I find that the plot moves along at a slightly swifter p
The first time I read this I was completely enthralled, and gave it a solid five stars. My fantasy repertoire was seriously lacking back in those days, and I instantly fell in love with all that is Midkemia. The second time around I still loved it, but found I had to drop the rating to a four. It’s not that I loved it any less… I’m not sure what exactly happened. It’s just now that I have more experience with fantasy, and now that I know what else is out there, it was hard to give it a solid fiv ...more
Mar 14, 2011 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers, YA and Adult
Recommended to Kara by: Goodreads - Fantasy Book Club Series Group Read
An enjoyable easy read with incredibly likable characters. Just enough action, suspense, intrigue and magic to keep me turning the pages.

In a typical high fantasy world of humans, elves, dwarves, and dragons, there is now a rift, through which unknown people and creatures from another world begin an invasion. The book has several POV characters that we follow separately as they encounter and interact with the off-world invaders.

The start to an epic series, book 1 ends very non-climatically and
Mike (the Paladin)
Haven't liked every Feist book since...but this one sucked me in and I ran the next two down as soon as I could get my hands on them.

Since I've remembered this one fondly and just recently replaced my long lost (or worn out) copy. I remember thinking what an odd name Pug was to hang on a main character. This story builds the characters, the world and the story so that I was quickly hooked and stayed that way for several volumes. While Mr. Feist can run hot and cold and at times be almost infuria
Sorry, but how is this plainly described, one dimensional book so well rated? I'm 200 pages in and bored rigid and utterly fed up of the random lucky events the characters go thru.

The line that sticks out is: Dragons were the hereditary enemy of dwarves.

Sorry it's just poorly written, based in a second hand middle earth and I've seen better characters in the mr men books.

I paid 95p for it from a a charity shop and I feel robbed.
O Mago O Aprendiz é um livro de Fantasia que se insere numa saga denominada O Mago, escrito por Raymond E. Feist.
A história passa-se no Reino de Midkemia, e relata a vida de Pug, Tomas e outros personagens da cidade de Crydree.
Pug, um rapaz do castelo, que não sendo escolhido por mais nenhum mestre dos vários ofícios, acabou por se tornar no aprendiz do famoso mago Kulgan. Tem algumas dificuldades na aprendizagem do seu ofício, e duvida do caminho que percorre, pois desejava ser um guerreiro ta
The original novel originally published in 1982 has been split in two volumes and you'll probably won't be able to just read the first one because there are too many cliffhangers. Given that, I'm going to review this first volume anyways.
It is the first book of the Riftwar Saga set within the world of Midkemia, a coming-of-age story of magician Pug and warrior Tomas facing otherwordly invaders.

I know that lots of people have fond memories reading this book and it was a New York Times bestseller
This was okay but I never really found myself involved in the story or the characters. The writing was fine but nothing that made up for my lack of interest in the story. I haven't read a whole lot of traditional fantasy and maybe it just isn't as much my thing as science fiction. Oh well. Not bad, just not great.
I first read this book when I was in high school. It was one of the first adult sci fi/fantasy books I read, and has held a special place in my heart ever since. Upon rereading, it's not quite as amazing as it was back then, but it's still a solid book. I had some issues with the inconsistent passage of time, and the disappearance of a storyline towards the end. I can forgive that a bit, since this book and the second are actually meant to be one book. I only read the first two books of the seri ...more
Veronica Morfi
Our story begins at Crydee, a peaceful frontier of the Kingdom of the Isles. There two friends, Pug and Tomas start their apprenticing when they turn 13. But when they discover a wreck ship the destinies of two worlds are changed forever. An invading army from another world threatens the Kingdom and Pug and Tomas find themselves in the middle of the conflict, while they both discover that they are destined for greatness.
This is the first book of the series, a must read for all epic fantasy fans!
Jul 26, 2015 Stefan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any lover of fantasy
This book sat lost and unread on my shelves for years. Lately I have been unsatisfied with what I have been reading. I have enjoyed most of it but was left unsatisfied and wanting more. Have you ever been really hungry but didn't know what you wanted to eat? That has been my reading life as of late, that is until I found my copy of Magician: Apprentice hidden among my shelves. About 20 pages in I knew I had just sat down to a delicious, full course meal and when finished was very satisfied.

Had I not read too much Martin, Bakker, Hobb, Carey and Erikson. I would have given this a five.
This has to be the most outstanding novel by an incredible author who is recognizable as a creative giant within the fantasy genre, taking this genre to a whole new level that inspires. Having previously read the series the serpentwar saga that surrounds the world of Midkemia, I was excited to read more of this author’s work that would be slightly different to what I had previously encountered. This book exceeded all expectations with its incredible storyline that was highly imaginative, inspire ...more
Raymond E. Feist é um conhecido autor de fantasia americano, que tem centrado maioritariamente o seu trabalho no mundo fictício que criou e que foi apresentado aos leitores em 1982, através de O Mago. Devido ao seu volume considerável, uma boa parte do texto foi cortada na edição original, mas quatro anos mais tarde, devido ao sucesso que o livro teve, decidiu-se republicá-lo com texto extra, em 2 volumes: Apprentice e Master. Esta edição portuguesa corresponde à primeira metade.

A história decor
Shehreyar Khan
I have a great deal to say about this, but I like to keep my reviews short so here it goes:

The story was slow developing, and it took a while for it to gain momentum. There are more than a few viewpoint characters and more than a few people to relate to. Every person in Magician: Apprentice seemed to be the hero of his own tale, and I liked it that way.

The viewpoint characters operated separately from each other once the story took of, creating their own storylines and with it substantial sub-p
Jeremy Brown
After waiting 10 years to read this book again, I have to say that it ages very well. The book does contain quite a few fantasy book stereotypes that are quite obvious. The characters Pug and Tomas are prime examples where one is a meek boy who trains to be a magician and the other is a boisterous lad who all the ladies love. However the author provides very interesting twists in the development of the characters and he is not afraid to place them in danger. The action in the book is expertly wr ...more
I first read this book about 10 years ago on the recommendation of a friend and instantly had to buy the sequel. I pulled it off the shelf this week to revisit a story I liked back then, after having lent the books to countless (ok maybe 3) friends. I still loved the book and again had to read the sequel. The adventures of Pug and his Lord Duke Borric as they race around the country are captivating and involve all the major fantasy species. Not only do you get elves and dwarves you also get a do ...more
Change description 1 5 18 hours, 7 min ago
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 182 Oct 27, 2015 04:55PM
Clube de Leitores...: Leitura de Novembro de 2013 - Magician: Apprentice 16 44 Dec 04, 2013 03:45AM
  • L'assassin du roi (L'assassin royal, #2)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Legend (Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • Presságios de Inverno (Acácia, #2)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy, #1)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

The Riftwar Saga (4 books)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)

“Dolgan: ’Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, and wiser still to know when ‘tis achieved.
Rhuagh: True. And still wiser to know when it is unachievable, for then striving is folly.”
“Some love comes like the wind off the sea, while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness." - Carline” 11 likes