Start by marking “Paddington Here and Now” as Want to Read:
Paddington Here and Now

Paddington Here and Now (Paddington Bear #12)

Since the Browns found Paddington on a railway platform and took him home to live with them, there has never been a dull moment at number 32 Windsor Gardens. But as he explained to them at the start, "Things happen to me: I'm that sort of a bear."

There's the day his basket on wheels mysteriously disappears when he's out shopping in the market. And the time he locks the Bro
Published June 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Here and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Here and Now

Dee
Feb 14, 2017 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh Paddington stories never get old :)
RJ McGill
Sep 07, 2008 RJ McGill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, kids
Half a century has passed & this little bear is still able to melt your heart & keep you & your little ones interested right up to the end...

Paddington Bear is celebrating his 50th birthday the only way this lovable, adventurous little bear would…with a delicious marmalade sandwich…and his first new book in 30 years, Paddington Here and Now! For those of us who have enjoyed reading the stories of Paddington’s escapades, this book is a welcomed return to good ol’ fashioned literature.
A
Nov 15, 2008 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appropriate for ages 8-12

Paddington Bear reappears in the 21st century for more adventures and amusing mishaps.

This fictional series book was published in England for the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Paddington Bear. Although there have been many picture book versions of Paddington published, as well as Paddington activity books and other items, this is the first time in c. 30 years that a new chapter book in this series has come out. I would have expected that, by now, the Brown children
Doug
Aug 26, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bond’s Paddington reminds me a smidge of Wodehouse’s Wooster in that after reading a few stories, the template is so nakedly obvious that you might almost think you could produce one yourself: Paddington, well intentioned but unpossessed of sound judgement, mishears and/or misconstrues something and acts foolishly. Dark looks are exchanged, cocoa is drunk, things are exclaimed hotly, it’s difficult with paws, and Mr. Curry frequently roars “Bear!” before everything is sorted.

But as with Wodehou
Maria Ana
I really enjoyed this book. A dear friend of mine lent me the book, so i can feel a little bit happier when i'm sad.
I finished it in a couple of hours. It was amazing! I think the writting wasn't too childish. Acctually it is a good writting for adults. I smilled and laughed a lot with Paddington and all it's adventures.
I recomend this book to everyone. To dream, to smile, and to be happy along with a cute, little and amazing bear!
Mark
Another good collection of Paddington's (mis)adventures. This one was published in 2008 to mark the 50th anniversary of the books and as such there are references to modern London (most notably, a memorable trip on the London Eye) but there is still the same charm about the stories.
Aggie
Dec 14, 2014 Aggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review by 6 year old girl:
I really enjoyed reading Paddington 'here and now'. It's my first ever chapter book, and I loved it. I am looking forward to reading the other Paddington Books.
Lynn
Feb 07, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I loved Paddington as a kid and I was so pleased to share him with my children who love him just as much.
Amber
Jan 10, 2017 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read-aloud with Fox (age 7). A little slow at times, but very British and charming.
NebraskaIcebergs
Jun 05, 2009 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
What do Winnie the Pooh, Gentle Ben, and Paddington have in common? They are all beloved fictional bears. If you aren't familar yet with Paddington, Michael Bond introduced him to readers over fifty years ago. Wearing a bush hat, duffle coat, and Wellington boots, Paddington is one of my favorite bears. Now he has returned in a book called Paddington Here and Now.

Like its predecessors, in each chapter of this twelveth book, Paddington encounters a new adventure. Ever since the Browns found him i
Mona
Published in honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the series and thirty years after the last book appeared, Paddington Here and Now finds Paddington still living with the Brown family. He is a bit older, but still retains the clumsy, optimistic charm that long-time readers know and love. What has changed is London, and this makes for some interesting adventures for Paddington. For instance, in one story, the police attempt to deport Paddington because they believe he is an illegal immigrant (and ...more
Terry
Aug 19, 2009 Terry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Young Reader Reaction: My children liked the book, but did not react strongly to it. I think it was partially because the writing used some of the terminology from the United Kingdom, so some of the meanings of key words were lost on my kids. In addition, the humor was a bit more subtle and mature than what is common for books geared towards 4-6 year olds, so perhaps ages 8 and older may have a more positive experience.

Adult Reader Reaction: I liked the book OK. I thought the content was appropr
Nancy
Paddington is back after a long hiatus, and his antics and literalism are just as amusing as ever. Incidents in this volume included almost being arrested for operating a motor vehicle without a license when he tries to report his missing shopping cart to the police, run-ins with a cranky neighbor, a starring moment on stage, playing chopsticks, and more. He is joyfully reunited with his long-lost Uncle Pastuzo who tracks him down and stays for a very short, but enjoyable visit.

The one thing tha
Mark O'Neill
I've waited ages for this new Paddington book to come out in paperback and now that I have finally got it and read it, I have not been disappointed. The humour is classic and Paddington once again comes out on top in every situation. He really is a British institution.[return][return]I noticed with this book that there was many more illustrations than normal and they were much more nicely done than the other books. This made the book and the stories much more special. Top marks to Peggy Fortnum ...more
Logan
I read *all* the Paddington books as a kid, but this one wasn't around then. Published 30 years after the first Paddington book, it takes place in modern London (although not jarringly modern). I only found this because we had so enjoyed the first two CD sets and the Winnie-the-Pooh dramatizations Stephen Fry participated in, I was looking for more recordings by Fry. I was so surprised that a new Paddington was available. Honestly, I thought Michael Bond was dead. Anyway, we both enjoyed this so ...more
Alas this new collection of Paddington stories for his 50th anniversary didn't really quite capture the magic of those earlier tales. There are some nice familiar touches (the marmalade sandwiches and the fondness for cocoa) and Paddington and the Browns' relationship with his nemesis neighbour Mr Curry are good for a smile. I thought for a moment that bringing it into the present day would totally derail it but overall there weren't too many attempts to bring it up to date to its detriment. It ...more
Diane Strait
Paddington bear is such a timeless character that all children should be introduced to. The Paddington chapter books are absolutely delightful for readers in grades 2-4! I loved Michael Bond's final Paddington adventure after thirty years. This book concludes the paddington adventures in such a satisfying way for readers. Paddington is such an endearing bear who is often misunderstood because he takes everything so literally which provides much humor in the stories. You will experience London li ...more
Adelina
Apr 17, 2011 Adelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie
Nov 15, 2012 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is the finale of the Paddington series. Our family really enjoyed reading the series aloud together. Some chapters were downright hilarious, particularly involving an incorrigibly ornery next-door neighbor, Mr. Curry. We loved the tender friendship between Paddington and the wise Mr. Gruber, who ownes the antique shop on the Portobello Road. We were delighted by the way the Brown family and Mrs. Bird, their housekeeper, always had to be on their toes due to the unfortunate circumstances Pad ...more
Mar 16, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, read-in-2016
Paddington is still living with the Brown family in London and getting into the same scrapes as usual because he takes things literally, is sometimes too friendly and trusting, and has a hard time saying no to things he doesn't want to or shouldn't do. For instance, who else would get stuck with the job of coating neighbor Mr. Curry's pipes with burglar paint or sign a piano tour contract or convince the police he drives a car without a license? Only adorable and wonderful Paddington Brown! When ...more
Janessa
Jul 21, 2009 Janessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-chapter
I read this with my six year old. She is standing here telling me she liked reading about Paddington's uncle and his aunt, and that it was fun the way Paddington was always so busy doing things, and she liked how he and the Browns had such a good time at the end with Paddington's uncle. She didn't like when he lost his grocery cart. It didn't seem like something he should be worried about, especially since everybody got so confused when he tried to explain that it was missing.
Betsy
Apr 19, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that Michael Bond and R.W. Alley were still alive? And yes, John, I was able to confirm that this is indeed the same R.W. Alley who did the original Paddington stories. He's still going strong. What's more, this is a lovely little gem of a book. Paddington fans will love it. Kids who've never met Paddington before will love it. And it has the strangest feeling of being a FINAL Paddington book. Most interesting. In any case, it's a keeper and a sweetie of a tale.
Jennifer Heise
Jun 24, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, Paddington made a bit more conscious use of his Paddingtonisms (such as painting Mr. Curry's gate with the special antiburglar paint instead of painting his 8 drainpipes when Mr. Curry tried to bully Paddington into doing it for him)... but it was charming to see that (view spoiler). A fitting finish to a beloved series.
Samantha
Apr 15, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beloved bears in all of children's literature. In one word: charming. Paddington's adventures read like Amelia Bedelia's tales in that things are always a bit mixed up, but there's also always backed up with good intentions and a lot of heart. Great book for sharing before bedtime or as an independent read for a early elementary reader.
Kathy Chung
Mar 29, 2011 Kathy Chung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Reviewed at : Mama Kucing Meow : Paddington Here and Now By Michael Bond

Reviewed on : 4th December 2010

This book maybe a a bit "young" for me but it was a really delightful experience. To see Paddington's innocent and what mishaps it leads to.
Suzanne
I was trying to read this to my daughter at bedtime (a chapter a night) but it held neither of our interests. It feels wrong to say that about Paddington, but it's true. We barely made it through two nights.
Anna
Aug 05, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
I grew up with Paddington and quite frankly...he is awesome. This latest in his series of adventures is just delightful and full of British whimsy, and leaves you giggly and...feeling good. :) Now, if you will excuse me, I have a date with a marmalade sandwich...
pati
With trouble apparently following him everywhere he roams, lovable Paddington Bear must use his charm and wit to straighten out dilemmas involving a grouchy neighbor and a strange mishap that lands him center stage at a concert
Ietrio
Jun 16, 2016 Ietrio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, favorites
Funtastic! I love the dialogue. I love the lack of description. I love the style of the misunderstanding, it is not the old silly style of two old men talking one about a cow and another about some girl.
Claire
Jul 20, 2008 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this - it's for children, but it doesn't talk down to them so is enjoyable for readers of all ages. Paddington always had a wry look at the culture of the times, and that continues in this new 50th anniversary story. Gently funny and a pleasure to read.
  • The Wombles
  • Poppleton Has Fun
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • Tales of Peter Rabbit and His Friends
  • Fred and Ted's Road Trip
  • McDuff Saves the Day
  • Queen of the Dead (The Undertakers, #2)
  • You And Me, Little Bear
  • Horse Wise (Saddle Club, #11)
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Martha Blah Blah
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • When the Sky is Like Lace
Michael Bond OBE is an English children's author. He is the creator of Paddington Bear and has written about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also writes culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.
More about Michael Bond...

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)