Start by marking “Paddington Here and Now” as Want to Read:
Paddington Here and Now

Paddington Here and Now (Paddington Bear #12)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Since the Browns found Paddington on a railway platform and took him home to live with them, there has never been a dull moment at number 32 Windsor Gardens. But as he explained to them at the start, "Things happen to me: I'm that sort of a bear."

There's the day his basket on wheels mysteriously disappears when he's out shopping in the market. And the time he locks the Bro
Published June 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Here and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Here and Now

A
Appropriate for ages 8-12

Paddington Bear reappears in the 21st century for more adventures and amusing mishaps.

This fictional series book was published in England for the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Paddington Bear. Although there have been many picture book versions of Paddington published, as well as Paddington activity books and other items, this is the first time in c. 30 years that a new chapter book in this series has come out. I would have expected that, by now, the Brown children
Doug
Bond’s Paddington reminds me a smidge of Wodehouse’s Wooster in that after reading a few stories, the template is so nakedly obvious that you might almost think you could produce one yourself: Paddington, well intentioned but unpossessed of sound judgement, mishears and/or misconstrues something and acts foolishly. Dark looks are exchanged, cocoa is drunk, things are exclaimed hotly, it’s difficult with paws, and Mr. Curry frequently roars “Bear!” before everything is sorted.

But as with Wodehou
RJ McGill
Half a century has passed & this little bear is still able to melt your heart & keep you & your little ones interested right up to the end...

Paddington Bear is celebrating his 50th birthday the only way this lovable, adventurous little bear would…with a delicious marmalade sandwich…and his first new book in 30 years, Paddington Here and Now! For those of us who have enjoyed reading the stories of Paddington’s escapades, this book is a welcomed return to good ol’ fashioned literature.
NebraskaIcebergs
What do Winnie the Pooh, Gentle Ben, and Paddington have in common? They are all beloved fictional bears. If you aren't familar yet with Paddington, Michael Bond introduced him to readers over fifty years ago. Wearing a bush hat, duffle coat, and Wellington boots, Paddington is one of my favorite bears. Now he has returned in a book called Paddington Here and Now.

Like its predecessors, in each chapter of this twelveth book, Paddington encounters a new adventure. Ever since the Browns found him i
Terry
Dec 28, 2013 Terry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Young Reader Reaction: My children liked the book, but did not react strongly to it. I think it was partially because the writing used some of the terminology from the United Kingdom, so some of the meanings of key words were lost on my kids. In addition, the humor was a bit more subtle and mature than what is common for books geared towards 4-6 year olds, so perhaps ages 8 and older may have a more positive experience.

Adult Reader Reaction: I liked the book OK. I thought the content was appropr
Mona
Published in honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the series and thirty years after the last book appeared, Paddington Here and Now finds Paddington still living with the Brown family. He is a bit older, but still retains the clumsy, optimistic charm that long-time readers know and love. What has changed is London, and this makes for some interesting adventures for Paddington. For instance, in one story, the police attempt to deport Paddington because they believe he is an illegal immigrant (and ...more
Nancy
Paddington is back after a long hiatus, and his antics and literalism are just as amusing as ever. Incidents in this volume included almost being arrested for operating a motor vehicle without a license when he tries to report his missing shopping cart to the police, run-ins with a cranky neighbor, a starring moment on stage, playing chopsticks, and more. He is joyfully reunited with his long-lost Uncle Pastuzo who tracks him down and stays for a very short, but enjoyable visit.

The one thing tha
Mark O'Neill
I've waited ages for this new Paddington book to come out in paperback and now that I have finally got it and read it, I have not been disappointed. The humour is classic and Paddington once again comes out on top in every situation. He really is a British institution.[return][return]I noticed with this book that there was many more illustrations than normal and they were much more nicely done than the other books. This made the book and the stories much more special. Top marks to Peggy Fortnum ...more
Logan
I read *all* the Paddington books as a kid, but this one wasn't around then. Published 30 years after the first Paddington book, it takes place in modern London (although not jarringly modern). I only found this because we had so enjoyed the first two CD sets and the Winnie-the-Pooh dramatizations Stephen Fry participated in, I was looking for more recordings by Fry. I was so surprised that a new Paddington was available. Honestly, I thought Michael Bond was dead. Anyway, we both enjoyed this so ...more
Mark
Another good collection of Paddington's (mis)adventures. This one was published in 2008 to mark the 50th anniversary of the books and as such there are references to modern London (most notably, a memorable trip on the London Eye) but there is still the same charm about the stories.
Alas this new collection of Paddington stories for his 50th anniversary didn't really quite capture the magic of those earlier tales. There are some nice familiar touches (the marmalade sandwiches and the fondness for cocoa) and Paddington and the Browns' relationship with his nemesis neighbour Mr Curry are good for a smile. I thought for a moment that bringing it into the present day would totally derail it but overall there weren't too many attempts to bring it up to date to its detriment. It ...more
Aggie
Review by 6 year old girl:
I really enjoyed reading Paddington 'here and now'. It's my first ever chapter book, and I loved it. I am looking forward to reading the other Paddington Books.
Diane Strait
Paddington bear is such a timeless character that all children should be introduced to. The Paddington chapter books are absolutely delightful for readers in grades 2-4! I loved Michael Bond's final Paddington adventure after thirty years. This book concludes the paddington adventures in such a satisfying way for readers. Paddington is such an endearing bear who is often misunderstood because he takes everything so literally which provides much humor in the stories. You will experience London li ...more
JDK1962
Just wanted to see what Paddington was all about (missed them when I was a kid). Nice enough, but no The Wind in the Willows.
Lynn
I loved Paddington as a kid and I was so pleased to share him with my children who love him just as much.
Melanie
This is the finale of the Paddington series. Our family really enjoyed reading the series aloud together. Some chapters were downright hilarious, particularly involving an incorrigibly ornery next-door neighbor, Mr. Curry. We loved the tender friendship between Paddington and the wise Mr. Gruber, who ownes the antique shop on the Portobello Road. We were delighted by the way the Brown family and Mrs. Bird, their housekeeper, always had to be on their toes due to the unfortunate circumstances Pad ...more
Adelina
Janessa
I read this with my six year old. She is standing here telling me she liked reading about Paddington's uncle and his aunt, and that it was fun the way Paddington was always so busy doing things, and she liked how he and the Browns had such a good time at the end with Paddington's uncle. She didn't like when he lost his grocery cart. It didn't seem like something he should be worried about, especially since everybody got so confused when he tried to explain that it was missing.
Betsy
Who knew that Michael Bond and R.W. Alley were still alive? And yes, John, I was able to confirm that this is indeed the same R.W. Alley who did the original Paddington stories. He's still going strong. What's more, this is a lovely little gem of a book. Paddington fans will love it. Kids who've never met Paddington before will love it. And it has the strangest feeling of being a FINAL Paddington book. Most interesting. In any case, it's a keeper and a sweetie of a tale.
Bunnyjadwiga
Well, Paddington made a bit more conscious use of his Paddingtonisms (such as painting Mr. Curry's gate with the special antiburglar paint instead of painting his 8 drainpipes when Mr. Curry tried to bully Paddington into doing it for him)... but it was charming to see that (view spoiler). A fitting finish to a beloved series.
Samantha
One of the most beloved bears in all of children's literature. In one word: charming. Paddington's adventures read like Amelia Bedelia's tales in that things are always a bit mixed up, but there's also always backed up with good intentions and a lot of heart. Great book for sharing before bedtime or as an independent read for a early elementary reader.
Kathy Chung
Reviewed at : Mama Kucing Meow : Paddington Here and Now By Michael Bond

Reviewed on : 4th December 2010

This book maybe a a bit "young" for me but it was a really delightful experience. To see Paddington's innocent and what mishaps it leads to.
Claire
I really enjoyed this - it's for children, but it doesn't talk down to them so is enjoyable for readers of all ages. Paddington always had a wry look at the culture of the times, and that continues in this new 50th anniversary story. Gently funny and a pleasure to read.
Anna
I grew up with Paddington and quite frankly...he is awesome. This latest in his series of adventures is just delightful and full of British whimsy, and leaves you giggly and...feeling good. :) Now, if you will excuse me, I have a date with a marmalade sandwich...
pati
With trouble apparently following him everywhere he roams, lovable Paddington Bear must use his charm and wit to straighten out dilemmas involving a grouchy neighbor and a strange mishap that lands him center stage at a concert
Suzanne
I was trying to read this to my daughter at bedtime (a chapter a night) but it held neither of our interests. It feels wrong to say that about Paddington, but it's true. We barely made it through two nights.
Bobby Simic
I'm a little biased here (my sister and I used to collect Paddington Bears), but I love this bear and I love this book! Charming and full of the similar wit and wisdom of Winnie the Pooh.
Karin
I liked it for sticking with the spirit of the older books. Sometimes Paddington tales can be a little confusing but otherwise the kids enjoyed it.
Beth
This was one of our summer evening reads. This was an introduction for Hope and a chance to re-visit a fun character from my youth.
Peter
More amusing if you are an adult; sentence structure is rather sophisticated. Read aloud 9-11, read alone 10+?
  • The Wombles
  • Toy Dance Party (Toys #2)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • Poppleton In Fall
  • The Serial Garden: The Complete Armitage Family Stories
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Carbonel #3)
  • Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride
  • Horse Wise (Saddle Club, #11)
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Tales of Peter Rabbit and His Friends
  • Marty McGuire Has Too Many Pets!
  • Queen of the Dead (The Undertakers, #2)
  • A Is for Musk Ox
  • Martha Blah Blah
  • The Mystery of the Mummy's Curse (The Boxcar Children #88)
Michael Bond OBE is an English children's author. He is the creator of Paddington Bear and has written about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also writes culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.
More about Michael Bond...

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • The Adventures of Paddington
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • A Bear Called Paddington: An Omnibus Including: A Bear Called Paddington, More About Paddington, Paddington Helps Out, Paddington at Large, Paddington Marches On
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1) More About Paddington (Paddington, #2) Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5) Paddington Bear Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)