Confessions of a Street Addict

Confessions of a Street Addict

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  764 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In the most candid look at Wall Street since Liar's Poker, James J. Cramer, cofounder of TheStreet.com, radio and television commentator, and for years one of Wall Street's premier money managers, takes readers on a no-holds-barred tour of life on Wall Street­revealing how the game is played, who breaks the rules, and who gets hurt.
Everyone on Wall Street knows...more
Published May 13th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2002)

Valerie
Archived at http://web.archive.org/web/2002101306...

Confessions of A Street Addict by James J. Cramer

Okay, first thing you need to know: "Confessions of A Street Addict" is not some world-weary tale of heroin abuse, which the title and the author's hardboiled cover photo might make you assume. (Okay, maybe that was just me.) The "Street" referred to is Wall Street, and the experiences James Cramer relates here describe his time in the trenches.

Cramer wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth....more
Robert
Before the Mad Money craze, this autobiography takes you from his struggling days as a journalist for newspapers on the west coast to his days at Goldman to his hugely successful (mostly because of his wife) management of his hedge fund and ends at his retirement from that fund. For one of the most notable personalities in personal finance of recent years, it was hard to believe in his words, "It is better to be lucky than good." Reads exactly like his personality would tell it to you. Great rea...more
Stephanie
I always poke fun at Ryan for reading "boring business books", but this one does NOT fit that mold. This is more of a biography of Jim Cramer's life as a hedge fund manager. He currently has a show called mad money where he talks about stocks. He's hilarious - totally insane - but really interesting. He has a journalism background and loves to write, which is probably why I could hardly stand to put this book down. It's still not a "light read" for non-business people, but I really liked it.
Eric Bauman
I have a little bit invested in the stock market (no Warren Buffett, I, though, sadly), which I’m trying to build into a retirement fund, since I had to wipe mine out with my prolonged unemployment (of course, assuming I make it to retirement, which is itself a dicey proposition). Given this, I try to watch at least the first segment of Cramer’s “Mad Money” show on CNBC to try to get his take on what happened on the market that day. I do this because, for the most part, he uses language that I c...more
Adam Piore
Aug 31, 2007 Adam Piore rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants to learn about the stock market
Basically the memoirs of Jim Cramer -- that annoying stock market guru on Mad Money. Cramer is a former editor of the Harvard Crimson, and even did a few years as a newspaper reporter and writer for American Lawyer. So he's not a bad writer.

Cramer tells the story of his life as a hedge fund manager and founder of the Street.com, which went public during the height of the dot com bubble. It's an entertaining read with a plot that reminds me of a sports book, only instead of trying to win ganes, C...more
Dean
If you like James Cramer you'll like this book. It's an autobiography of the awesome stock guy from the TV show Mad Money. He tells you about his life and his addiction to stocks. I found it hilarious at times (when he was busting his keyboard across a desk, keys flying at a secretary for instance) and very depressing at others (when he was playing stocks while his mother died among other occasions). All and all a good read, and it'll let you know more about the awesome guy off Mad Money.
Ellen
Sep 09, 2008 Ellen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Fascinating on many different levels! First, if you're at all interested in learning more about Wall Street, this is a great way to get an accurate, behind-the-scenes look at exactly what goes on at a hedge fund and on Wall Street. Much more educational than any "Investing For Dummies" book you'll ever read because you can see how situations play out in a real life setting.

Secondly, Jim Cramer is a brilliant man who has led an extremely successful and fascinating life. A complex story such as t...more
Mel Allred
As I look through the list of books I have read (I have kept a dated list since January of 2002), I am amazed to see this book on it. It is so atypical of my reading material. Yet, I still remember ten years later as I write this review the struggle towards success on wall street that James Cramer underwent. The intensity with which he accumulated information to enable wise stock decisions for his clients. He incited me to begin trading myself and I took a course and utilized it for some time,...more
Matthew Flannery
Not a bad book. Interesting, and taught me a decent amount about trading (after numerous wikipedia visits). At times slow, others exciting. I can't help but think that this book exists as almost entirely as a "my side of the story" kind of book, not necessary to be entertaining but in order to get his recollection of events on paper as a means to counter public perception or biased stories from contemporaries. I am not going to choose a side and say that he is right or wrong, lying to himself or...more
Anna
This book was challenging for me.. I have come to really respect Jim Cramer's mind... and to hear that he would throw what amounts to a tantrum over money including smashing keyboards and throwing water bottles at people... I do like that he hired the best people around him at the hedge fund and used their talents to help make his investors money.. I think the he would wish that he could do that at the internet business as well. I am also proud that he knew when to walk away. I like that he chan...more
Gary
If you watch CNBC, surely you have seen @JimCramer either on his nightly "Mad Money" or "Squawk on Street”. Then you probably have an opinion of Cramer and I this autobiography “Confessions of a Street Addict” would help support your opinion. I like Jim and his personality so it was fun to read, even though biographies are not my favorite. I truly wish I could go inside a trading desk at a hedge fund and see the machine at work and Jim’s tale-telling maybe brought me as close as I probably will...more
Robloves17
Though I havent read a ton in the field as of yet, this is definitely the best book by a long shot in terms of really giving a feel for how Wall Street REALLY operates. This is the pre MadMoney Cramer; removed is his new Kind-and-Gentle Chivalry thing (which is genuine I believe) and what is left is the Trader in the Trenches, and a damn good one at that. He's obviously a very intelligent and creative individual and here's his expose of some of real goings-on (some of it not so pretty) at the hi...more
Kysweenz
Cramer, a guy I enjoy his entertaining style, but you can see what a maniac he once was- and how a lot of these guys can lose there minds.

It is an inspirational story how he went from sleeping in his car to becoming one of the biggest guys on Wall Street. His knowledge of so many companies is incredible, and is in fact how he got a job, as he knew hundreds of stocks, their prices within a dollar and what his outlook was going forward.

Good read if you have an interest in the US Stock market.
Michele
Like an adrenaline rush packed into a book. I imagine Cramer writes like he speaks, so don't expect flowing prose. Scary and fascinating on a lot of different levels. Some of the financial talk was hard for me to follow but that didn't make it any less interesting. It will make you wonder how you, as an individual investor, could possibly ever pick anything that could even remotely be considered a safe bet, with all the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that go on in the world of the Street.
Clara
As I'm reading this book, I notice the number of dips that Cramer faced throughout his career. His wife represents his intuition, which he hardly ever recognizes before it's too late. Intuition is an interesting theme here.
Two things I am learning from Cramer: the insanity of motivation and the value of taking risks. If a man with a temper like Cramer's can manage to get through many things, then that holds a lot of value for someone like me who tends to hold back!
Eric
Interesting story of Jim Cramer's rise to fame from beat journalist in LA to the head of a major U.S. Hedge Fund. A good read alone for those interested in starting technology or internet businesses. The 100 pages detailing the creation and eventual public offering of "thestreet.com" outshines the rest of Cramer's story through shear drama. It is an excellent profile of the wild west internet days of the late 90's.
Mike
What a jerk but what an investor! Not afraid to bare his soul. One of the best business book ever. Now he helps little guys like me understand what is going on in the financial world. This is a fantastic read if you don't mind an incredible ego trip. Hey he's made the FU $$, and now he's trying to pass on the knowledge. Most guys on Wall Street couldn't care less about us out in flyover country but not Jim
Brandon Little
Jan 23, 2008 Brandon Little rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investors, economists, people who like a good story
I must say that the book was one of the few I have read frmo cover to cover without putting it down--once. Cramer has a very interesting writing style that keeps my attention and desire to keep reading. It details his life from college to present and how he wound up being the investment guru that he is today. There is some investment advice, however the book is more of a biography of--a Street Addict.
Jill
Nov 02, 2008 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone trying to understand our screwed up economy
Recommended to Jill by: Jim Cramer
Great book! Cramer recommended it a couple of weeks ago if you wanted to understand more about how hedge funds work. For all his success and knowledge of the markets Jim Cramer was not afraid to let his true, insecure and at times paranoid self come through in this book. Worth reading if you're trying to figure out how the world economy got so screwed up and what we're headed towards.
David
This is a great book. I enjoyed it immensely, because of the dot.com stories and the hedge fund stories.

I particularly enjoyed the part where the CEO of thestreet.com was on TV. He was showing the host of the show and the viewers at home how easy the website is to use.

When the CEO went to login, he forgot his own password, and locked himself out of the website. ON TV! ON LIVE TV!
Greg
For those who are Jim Cramer fans, and those who wonder who this guy is, this book is a great read that gives Jim's background and motivations. In my opinion he is one of the best teachers on investing for those of us without financial backgrounds.
If you don't study his investing books, you're just another mark for Wall Street.
Bear-it
This was an enjoyable and informative read. I appreciate how transparent he was with his own faults and manic behaviors. It was also a fun way to learn about wall street behavior from the "inside". Very insightful. Above all, I found his own behavior interesting to follow. To quote from the book, he gave "workaholic" a bad name.
Molly
I grudgingly read this book at my husband's urging. This was a fascinating read into Wall Street. Jim Cramer definitely meets the definition of the word "interesting." I used to refer to him as "Annoying Guy" but his style grew on me because his knowledge is so broad and easy for everyone to appreciate and employ.
Joshua
Surprisingly well written and insightful. Takes you on the manic roller coaster ride that made Cramer his millions (hundreds of them? It's not quite clear). If true, the book makes out his wife to be one of the most impressive intuitive investors since Bernard Baruch, a claim I'd like to believe, but who really knows?
Matt
Great book from Jim Cramer - who is known to most as a television personality and stock picker. But in his novel you learn more about his additional gift as a writer. Well worth the read if you want in insider's perspective of Wall Street and hedge fund management from one of the greats.
Jan
I think I read this book before--much of it seemed familiar--but since I don't understand 1/3 of it (it's about the stock market), it didn't seem like a repeat. I skipped the parts I didn't fully get and just "got" the drama of it. He's a maniac, but I admire the passion he has for his work.
Didi
Sep 14, 2007 Didi added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: juliasharp@gmail.com
Julia,

This is what we are reading this month for book club. It's my pick, it was my turn to pick. It's an investment book that Curtis read and said I should read it. I am reading it for the second time because I love it. We'll see how the book club responds and what the ladies think.
Heather
Pretty good, but I felt like the same things kept happening over and over and it kind of got boring because of that. Or maybe it's because it's a lot about Wallstreet and I don't have much interest in it. I only read it because Dave bought it and he wasn't reading it yet so I did.
Meredith
Jun 27, 2007 Meredith rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into the stockmarket
Shelves: read_2007
If you are into stocks then this book would probably interest you. Although it is a biography about his life I found that it focused more on stocks rather than his personal life. There also isnt much about his youth but more about his life as an adult.
Mark w
this is an account of the rise of Jim Cramer and his doings in the finance world. as one who came out of law school and ended up banking mad coin the hedge fund world, he is basically my hero.
  • Beating the Street
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance
  • Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: A Long Short (and Now Complete) Story
  • Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Devil Take the Hindmost:  A History of Financial Speculation
James J. "Jim" Cramer is an American television personality, a former hedge fund manager, and a best-selling author. Cramer is the host of CNBC's Mad Money and a co-founder and chairman of TheStreet.com, Inc.
More about James J. Cramer...
Jim Cramer's Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World Jim Cramer's Mad Money: Watch TV, Get Rich Jim Cramer's Stay Mad for Life: Get Rich, Stay Rich (Make Your Kids Even Richer) Jim Cramer's Getting Back to Even Jim Cramer's Get Rich Carefully