Start by marking “Death is a Word” as Want to Read:
Death is a Word

Death is a Word (Mrs. Malory Mysteries #21)

Eva Jackson is Rosemary's cousin ('umpteen times removed') and she has moved back to her childhood home in Taviscombe after the untimely death of her beloved husband Alan. As is the way of the village, Eva has been pounced upon by the local charities, and it is during a coffee morning that she mentions to Sheila Malory that she fears Alan might have died an unnatural death ...more
Published September 18th 2014 by Allison & Busby

Florence
Oct 17, 2014 Florence rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this last book by Hazel Holt (Mrs Mallory series) - but have enjoyed her other books more.
Miss M
Good-bye old friend.
Marla
this is my favorite cozy series. It's so relaxing (even with dead bodies around), so English that it is quite charming. Sorry to see this series end.
Jeanie
Sep 16, 2016 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obs
A true British cozy mystery - another new-to-me series that I wish I had found sooner!

I enjoyed the characters; Sheila Malory and her friend, Rosemary, are a perfect pair of sleuths. They are seasoned, with wisdom and intellect honed by maturity. One of the things I like about the ladies is that they are older than the average protagonists, for lack of a better descriptive. When their friend Eva is widowed by her husband's sudden death, they try to help her as permitted. After spending time in L
Christine
Nov 16, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-cozy
A newcomer named Donald Webster has arrived in Taviscombe. He is charming to everyone, but Sheila Malory and her best friend Rosemary aren’t sure what to think of him. Donald volunteers for all the committees and patiently spends time with Rosemary’s difficult mother Mrs. Dudley. Soon he becomes a frequent companion to Rosemary’s recently widowed cousin, Eva Jackson. Sheila and Rosemary should be happy for Eva, but could Donald be too good to be true?

I love the character of Sheila Malory and I e
Marlene
When one of Sheila's oldest friends comes back to Taviscombe to live after her husband passes away an odd set of events is set into effect. Eva Jackson, wife of famous foreign correspondent, Alan Jackson has decided to leave the busy London life behind her and settle back to her roots. Although with help from Sheila and her cousin, Rosemary it is still a struggle for her to face.

Shortly after settling into her cottage Eva is bombarded with many stresses, her late husband's publisher wanting her
Danilo DiPietro
Sep 14, 2016 Danilo DiPietro rated it liked it
Great example of a "Cosy" - a mystery without graphic blood and gore. If you're an Anglophile, add at least 1 star. Add another if you're a Barbara Pym fan (Holt was her friend and literary executor). Check out Great Book Guru's blog where she reviews another in this series.
Mason
May 10, 2016 Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those fascinating cozy murder mysteries that makes you feel like you’re living in a different country as you meet new friends (characters).
The quaint and cozy community setting draws you in as the protagonist (Mrs. Malory) and her friends visits. The easy flowing dialogue makes the story move at a good pace and places the reader in the middle of the action. The author’s rich descriptions of the countryside brings the area to life.
The twists and turns keeps the story entertaining.
Suzi Barbee
Sep 08, 2016 Suzi Barbee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed every one of Hazel Holt's Mrs. Malory series and I will miss them. Mrs. Malory was so reliable taking care of her pets, her friends, her family, her home, her obligations. Every book was an update on her world and each mystery ended with a insightful solution. I'll miss the Buttery! I'll miss it all.
Fred
May 04, 2016 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Malory And Death Is A Word is the twentieth book in the Mrs. Malory series.

This is the first book that I have read in this classic type English country mystery. Sad that there will be no more books in this series.

Eva Jackson has returned to childhood village and the death of her investigative reporter husband. She plans on writing a book about his life and has stored his notes, scripts and articles he has written in her garage. When a fire, that does little damage, happens, it is attributed
Lisa Kelley
May 04, 2016 Lisa Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quaint British cozy.

I have to admit, this is the first book I’ve read in the Sheila Malory series. If it hadn’t been given to me to review, I may have never heard of it, and that would have been a real shame.

MRS. MALORY AND DEATH IS A WORD reminds me so much of the lovely traditional English mysteries both in print, and on the small screen…intelligent, and charming.

The plot was well written, not the most exciting I have ever read, buy enjoyable, and this may sound strange, it was comfortable
Grey853
Jun 12, 2016 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy, british
Julie
Oct 25, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
I was so happy that there was one last book for the series, I almost didn't care how 'good' it was. I thoroughly enjoyed it for that reason. To get to visit Mrs. Malory again and catch up with her everyday village life was a treat I didn't expect to be given. Thank you Hazel Holt! And if you should later decide to write 'just one more' - I will order it early from across the Atlantic too : )
Carol
May 17, 2016 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not up to snuff. These are lightweight cozies and I enjoy the English village setting and the familiar characters, but it plodded along too slowly and felt too contrived. I just read in another review that the author died last year. While this wasn't my favorite, I will miss the annual "visits."
Lynn Smith
May 25, 2016 Lynn Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed the Sheila Mallory series over the years and I really enjoyed this book. I was sad while I was reading it knowing that this was the end of the series as the author passed away in 2015.
Les Wilson
I would have given this book 4/5 if it was not for the fact that what now seams to be compulsory for authors, that of someone with an unnatural relationship being included. If you unlike me do not mind this in a book, then note the mark at the start of this review.
Diane Davis
Jan 30, 2015 Diane Davis rated it really liked it
So sad, this is to be the last Sheila Malory Mystery. I have so enjoyed this series through the last many years. I shall miss Sheila...
Jane
May 30, 2016 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm very sorry that this is the last book as Ms. Holt passed away last year. And really very sorry that is not one of the best.
Wilde Sky
Oct 19, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
A series of deaths in a small town are investigated by an elderly lady.

The story line was pretty thin and the pace was slow, but overall this was a reasonable murder mystery.

Real rating 2.5
Charmaine
Charmaine rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Sheila Coulthard
Sheila Coulthard rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Marnell
Marnell rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Bexbooks
Bexbooks rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Brenda at MyShelf
Brenda at MyShelf rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Lise
Jul 14, 2015 Lise rated it really liked it
Shame it is the last one. I will miss Sheila Mallory.
Balgreen
Balgreen rated it it was ok
May 03, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
carolyn d mallard
carolyn d mallard rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Book Giveaways: Paperback giveaway ~ MRS. MALORY AND DEATH IS A WORD by Hazel Holt 1 4 May 29, 2016 10:01PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine - request 3 13 May 04, 2016 01:55PM
Hazel Holt is a British novelist. She studied at King Edward VI High School for Girls in Birmingham, England, and then Newnham College, Cambridge. She went on to work at the International African Institute in London, where she became acquainted with the novelist Barbara Pym, whose biography she later wrote. She also finished one of Pym's novels after Pym died.

Holt wrote her first novel in her six
More about Hazel Holt...

Mrs. Malory Mysteries (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory's Shortest Journey (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #3)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders