Arnie, the Darling Starling

Arnie, the Darling Starling

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The true story of a talking starling and the grandmoth who raised him is as heartwarming a book as you will ever read. When Margarete first came upon Arnie, he was just a familiar springtime sight: a baby bird lying helpless in the daisy patch. After unseuccesfully trying to return him to his nest, she took him into her Texas home and raised him as carefully as she had rai...more
Published November 1st 1983 by Houghton Mifflin (T)

Ann Amadori
Sequel to Arnie the Darling Starling. The first one was wonderful, this one is even better. The author, Margrete, packs up Arnie and her three cats and moves from Texas to Cape Cod, where she used to live with her parents. "The first Arnie was a story of breaking away, of letting go of dreams gone bad. The new one is a story of putting down new roots in old places. It says you can go home again." Arnie is the delightful talking starling Margrete rescued when she found him on the ground in her da...more
Dawn Michelle
Another RDC book :)
Gail
Published in the early '80's, this book was written in the first person by a woman who rescues a newly hatched starling who has fallen out of his nest. After several failed attempts to return him to the nest, Margarete decides to bring him into the house and try to care for him until he is able to be returned to the wild. She has no intentions of getting attached to him.

Unfortunately, as these things go, Margarete's intentions were admirable, but unrealistic. She holds off her emotions as long a...more
Joyce
Picked this up in the free box and now reading it aloud to Jim. Since Jim had raised a parrot from an egg he's enjoying Arnie's antics alot. A woman starts over life in Texas, investing with partners in a business/property development plan. After the deal falls through, she's quite depressed and lethargic. Then along comes a very ugly newly hatched starling. This bird embraces domestic life completely and makes friends with the woman's cats. The character and personality developed in a common "t...more
Robin
This is a non-fiction story of a woman who raised a days old starling. She didn't even know what kind of bird it was for several weeks. Amazingly, he learned to talk and had a large vocabulary that he used at appropriate times. Interesting book!
Myles
I did not read this book. It was read to me and my siblings, along with its sequels, by my mother. Arnie is therefore right alongside Dorothy and Toto, Paddington Bear, Star-Bellied Sneetches and the Dog that drove the car in Go Dog Go in my childhood memories: the first characters that entered my head and heart and will never go away.

It breaks my heart a little to see Arnie so unknown on this website, and presumably, in the world in general.
Breanna
I'm glad I found this old book in a little book shop. The cover fell off and the pages are yellow, but that didn't take away from the sweet story it held. I love these animal memoirs. All sorts of animals touch people's lives everyday. I never knew starlings hsd such personality. They must be related to jays and crows.
Lori
A real quick read, maybe 2 hours. I couldn't put it down. A woman finds a bird in her garden that needs to be fed and causes her some grief, but turns out the bird starts talking short sentences , like a parrot and they are good friends. A fun lighthearted read, especially if you like birds.
Everett
Jul 27, 2011 Everett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Everett by: Katherine Darden Seamans
I first read this story as a 11 year old child in 1984. My grandmother, a life long bird lover and long time subscriber of Reader's Digest, discovered read it as a story in a Reader's Digest condensed book. She took great delight in recommending and loaning her book to friends and family members.
Judy
Oct 19, 2008 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judy by: Lela Rosses
The story features her talking starling but also a tale about her life and the animals in it. It's a true animal story. Book was recommended and loaned to me from Lela Rosser. The authors have since written books about starlings and their care.
Ann Amadori
True story of a starling named Arnie, who fell or was pushed (probably pushed) out of his nest as an infant. He was found by the author who raised him and taught him to talk. Touching story.
Ellen
I loved this book. It shows that animals are smarter than we ever give them credit for. We can learn so much when we care for another species.
Beverly
I have read this once before. I like the story, it is a sweet and endearing story. One cannot help but fall in with Arnie.
Cathie Nowicki
I loved this book. I read it in the Readers Digest Condensed, but they did a fantastic job!!!
Janet
Having rescued several birds myself, this story of Margarete's rescued bird was charming.
Linda Murray
Loved this book. Very cute and will read again someday!
Pat
What a sweet book this was. Made me smile!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Munich, Margarete Sigl Corbo came to the United States as a bride after World War II. She has served in the Peace Corps; been a student advisor at a college; owned a pet clinic; and raised a daughter, several dogs, numerous cats, and a large assortment of birds - including, of course, Arnie.
More about Margarete Sigl Corbo...
Reader's Digest Condensed Books: Volume 163 #1, 1986 (Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha, Wildfire, Arnie and a House Full of Company, Take Away One, The Two Farms)