Start by marking “Iceman: My Fighting Life” as Want to Read:
Iceman: My Fighting Life

Iceman: My Fighting Life

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  596 ratings  ·  59 reviews
“When I walk out of the tunnel, I can see the lights, hear the music, feel the crowd, but it all begins to close off as I near the cage. By that point I’m thinking, I’ve been training hard, it’s time to focus....Every man is born with a fight-or-flight instinct, and mine is to fight. It always has been.” —From the Prologue

What’s it like to have no fear, to make people co
Published January 29th 2008 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about Iceman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iceman

Ellis
This may be the most poorly-written book to ever have received a 5-star rating. It definitely comes with it's share of warts, but just because something is ugly doesn't mean it's not beautiful inside (a sweet spirit, you might say). (I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with Goodreads, because, anymore, I'm constantly thinking of what kind of a rating/review I will give a book as I read it. It would be nice, sometimes, to read less critically again.)

I have what doctors call a little bit o
Brian
When I first started to seriously follow the UFC, Chuck Liddell was already light heavyweight champ and seemed untouchable. This book is a good recap of where he came from and how he rose to be champ, which was interesting UFC history to me, but to anyone who had followed the sport from earlier, there is no new information.

And as regards the Iceman's personal life, motivation, etc., there is little to no insight. I feel like I now know a little more about the history of the UFC and specifically
Dee
In one sentence..."I love to fight, I enjoy having sex all the time, I'd fight for $500 but I'd rather get priveleges of the rich like skipping to the front of the line at Disneyland, and I think my outdated mohawk is supercool and the chicks will dig it." Oh, give me a break! I'm not sure if I'm more disgusted with Chuck Liddel for writing this, the editor for allowing so much repetition and bad writing, or the publisher for promoting this unworthy book.
Matthew Edward
Dec 06, 2010 Matthew Edward rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young male or shallow readers
Shelves: i-own
I think (hope) this book might be aimed at an adolescent audience.

I was surprised by the amount of attention given to Chuck's sexual escapades and other superficialities.

I enjoyed reading about his childhood and details about the UFC and some other fighters. I was hoping for more of his thoughts on things and less on his accomplishments.
Tammy
I'm a HUGE UFC fan. Love Chuck Liddell but the book was pretty uneventful and slow. Not very well written. My 12 yr. old son could have done a better job.
Jon
Kind of a mindless read, a lot of and then I beat the hell out of this guy, and then I beat the hell out of this other guy, etc.
Douglas
I love the Iceman. This book sucks. Reading it hurt both my eyes and brain.
Sorenconard
uggggh. I hope Chuck in real life isn't as shallow as he comes off in this book.

My fighting life follows Chuck childhood and fighting career. It is a book that has one main theme that Chuck wanted to get across. "I' am a man!!!!!" The book sometime even pleads with the reader to understand how much of a man he is.

The childhood stuff is a good histroy for anyone that is a fan of Chuck. This is the only really relivant information that the book gives.

The rest of the book talks about his fights. T
Kevin
The Iceman Cometh … and Smites his Opposition

MMA icon and Mohawk-wearing Chuck Liddell offers his first person autobiography in “Iceman.” After reading the pathetic Matt Hughes book – “Made in America” – Hughes makes Liddell seem like freakin’ William Shakespeare. “Iceman” is a highly entertaining read if you are a MMA fan, regardless of whether or not you are a Liddell fan. Liddell’s rise in MMA has roughly paralleled the emergence of MMA as a fringe activity – “human cockfighting” – to a more
Patrick
While it was interesting to hear about the origins and history of Chuck Lidell, I wish there had been less talk about how hard he punches and how cold his stare is throughout the book and more about the sport of MMA. There was a lot of reiteration of the fact that he fought on the streets and that he has always had an emotionless stone cold gaze as a young guy growing up in SLO and how he has knockout punches. I've seen many of his fights and I'm sure those that read this book have also. We get ...more
Goran Powell
Chuck Liddell writes so well that reading ‘Iceman’ makes you feel like you’re hanging out with the man himself!

His personality leaps out from every page, a curious mix of laid-back attitude and fierce determination. Chuck just doesn’t seem to see the world like most people do, which is probably what made him such a big star in the UFC.

He covers his early days wrestling and (interestingly) karate, a hardcore style called Koei-kan which he still holds in high regard. He describes his various trai
Artiom Karsiuk
There are very few MMA fighters who's fights I couldn't watch comfortably sitting down, because I was overwhelmed by the fan-boy in me and I automatically popped to my feet whenever these fighters entered the arena. Chuck is one of them, but sadly even that couldn't make-up for the fact that this was an underwhelming autobiography.
I didn't feel that he had an epic life-story to tell or offer. *By "epic" I mean on a Schwarzenegger scale.* Sure there was a short recap of his childhood and teenage
Khurt
I liked the way how the author explains Chuck Liddell's backround and his fighting backround and also how the author explain what happened in Chuck's child hood and how he got the nickname called the Iceman. I also like it because the author gave action to the book.
Douglas
A good book overall. The book starts out really strong. Great background about where Chuck came from and his physical disability.

I was surprised to learn that Chuck Liddell scored 1280 on his SATs (Old Scale) and was accepted to Berkeley.

The book is chopped up into many small tiny chapters. I love this format. It allows me to read through each chapter and capture the lesson without getting to a point where i am bored.

Some really great examples of his personality and his dedication to MMA. He
Justin Sylvia
First and foremost i would like to say that this was an awesome book, a real page turner for me, but on the flip side of that coin i wasn't expecting some of the personal info that Chuck Liddell shared with the reader but maybe he prefers to bve looked up to because of who he is not for who people think he is or who they want him to be. Either way, this was one heck of a book and i throughly recommend this book to any UFC fan that is looking to just see one point of view from one of its top figh ...more
Chris Harrison
Fantastic book telling Chucks story about how he got to be UFC champion. I was never a fan of Chuck Liddell and actually wanted his great rival Tito Ortiz to beat him in both fights, but I loved reading how their rivalry came about and it will be interesting to read Titos view on things. Book was balanced enough not to dwell too much on his childhood as most people I'd imagine just want to read about his life in MMA. Liked the honesty in this book with regards to his slurred speech appearance on ...more
Rick
3.5 stars would be more accurate than the 4 I gave it, but I really enjoyed reading it. If you're a fan of the UFC and/or Chuck Liddell it is definitely worth reading. The word "deftly" shows up repeatedly in this book, and that's just not a word that I picture Chuck using. My guess is that's Chad Millman's co-authoring coming into play :-)
Jason Wampner
depending on how big a chuck fan you are this is a great book about him but about the same as any mma fighter book
Amy Pratt
Basically the entire book was about how far Chuck could climb up Dana White's a** to get to the top. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a fan of Chuck Liddell. In fact, he was my first favorite UFC fighter. After reading his book, I became very disappointed. He spoke badly of other fighters – yeah, there are feuds and sh*t-talking that happens in this sport – but personal jabs at other fighters I can live without. The book was an eye-opener for me. I’ve read other books written by UFC fighters and ...more
Thepatburke
This is such a great read. This will inspire you to do your best while having fun with life. ICEMAN!!!
Ken
Apr 01, 2014 Ken rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mma
Being an MMA addict, I love pretty much any book that gives insight into the lives of fighters. The behind the scenes look at what really makes someone have the drive and passion to step into the cage and put their heart and soul on the line has always intrigued me. I hope more fighters write books, I love them all.
Brett Starr
The Iceman Cometh!

Any UFC fan will enjoy reading this book. Not only does it shine light on Chuck's childhood, training and personal life, the book goes into detail about the history of MMA (mixed martial arts) and BJJ (brazilian jiu jitsu) and Dana White (president of the UFC).

Chuck Liddell is a mans man and a legend in the UFC. One of the best things about the book to me was that Chuck never claims to be the baddest man ever and doesnt take any cheap shots at the other fighters, he simply tel
Shaun
Chuck Liddell gives a frank account of life as a UFC fighter, revealing some of the super intense training the fighters have to complete to square up against the best in the world. The biography recounts Liddell’s rollercoaster rise to the top, and while it reveals much about life in the ring, it didn’t really reveal much about the man himself, and to me, seemed to merely skim the surface of the life of a UFC fighter. Still, an interesting read though as it shows how much hard work and dedicatio ...more
Colin
UFC Series Rank: 2/3.

This book was the second installment of the UFC Biography Series.

Before reading this book, I was the opposite of a Chuck Liddell fan. After reading this book, I understood the man and the fighter. Now I'm almost a fan. Almost.

Liddell's stories still sound douchey. His storytelling well explained where he was coming from. Liddell is a decent writer and possesses a above average business savvy.

I enjoyed reading this book and will continue to enjoy seeing Liddell get knocked ou
John
pretty good . simple
Patrick
As a casual fan of UFC at best, I found this to be good, but not great. For those who don't know, Liddell has held the light heavyweight championship, and gained tremendous popularity for his style, which focuses on ending fights quickly by knockout, as opposed to going for a choke or submission. The many short chapters are all titled by words of advice or lessons he's learned. The highlights for me were the account of his long feud with Tito Ortiz and his series with Randy Couture.
Brad
Ehhh. This book is a lot of fight descriptions with a bit of behind the scenes stuff, but not enough to be very interesting. Also if you've listened to Chuck speak before, the writing in the book is distractingly at odds with his actual voice. I can't picture Chuck saying 'whomever' in person, but there it is in his book.

I got through it, but I can't say I learned anything about him or gained any real insight into fighters other than that they like to fight.

Donald
The story of an Ultimate Fighting Championship champion, telling how he started out fighting as a kid (his grandpa taught him) and moved on to martial arts and then graduated into UFC. Tries to say that UFC or MMA (mixed martial arts) fighters are more than thugs beating on each other; there may be something to that, but ultimately, it comes down to two men in a ring trying to beat the other into unconsciousness. Yeeha.
Brian Bradbury
Interesting read. I am a fan of Chuck Liddell though the book was a little to over-focused on his feud with Tito Ortiz. I also go the feeling he wasn't being entirely truthful about their relationship, characterizing it after the fact much worse that it really was to begin with. He omitted a couple things that led me to think this, like the Jet Li movie they worked on together.

Still like Chuck at the end.
Brian
You read books about famous athletes for some combination of three things: insider details, insight into the person from the person, and to live vicariously. Iceman only accomplishes one of these things. The book does a good job of telling Liddell's story, but there was a definite lack of juicy details or behind-the-scenes info. In the end it was just an ok read.
  • Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat
  • Becoming the Natural: My Life In and Out of the Cage
  • Why I Fight: The Belt Is Just an Accessory
  • The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment
  • A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting
  • Made in America: The Most Dominant Champion in UFC History
  • This is Gonna Hurt
  • The Way of the Fight
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
  • Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson
  • Blood in the Cage: Mixed Martial Arts, Pat Miletich, and the Furious Rise of the UFC
  • Exposing the Real Che Guevara: And the Useful Idiots Who Idolize Him
  • Grief Girl: My True Story
  • History of Alexander the Great
  • Biting Anorexia: A Firsthand Account of an Internal War
  • Learn Python The Hard Way
  • A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis
  • Me Llamo Celia/My Name Is Celia: La Vida de Celia Cruz/The Life Of Celia Cruz
Iceman: My Fighting Life Tricks to Pick Up Chicks: Magic Tricks, Lines, Bets, Scams and Psychology Tricks to Pick Up Chicks: Magic Tricks, Pick-up Lines, Bar Bets, Scams and Psychology