Write Naked

Write Naked

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Victor, a thoughtful loner who tries to live his life “under the radar,” wants to test out the saying “You have to be naked to write.” When he sneaks off with an old Royal typewriter to his uncle’s cabin deep in the Vermont woods and strips off his clothes, he expects Thoreau-like solitude. What he gets is something else—both funny and, as his high school...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Owen
Dec 29, 2012 Owen added it
This book has Vermont written all over it. Writing naked definitely seems like something someone from Vermont would do. But who knows, maybe it actually helps the creative process or something.

My main problem with this book is the nudity itself. I'm not saying that as a prude or someone that is against nudity, but I'm talking about the way it is presented. The two main characters suddenly decide to be naked together. Being naked is very personal, and being naked with someone would require an int...more
Zoe
Jan 05, 2010 Zoe rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: hippies, teen writers, Vermont residents
16-year-old Victor gets a big ol' typewriter at a garage sale and takes it to his uncle's cabin in the Vermont woods to get the story out of it. The first time he writes naked, he's caught by Rose Anna - and although it's never explicitly stated by the author, you know she doesn't shave her legs - a homeschooled girl who has also been using the cabin as a place to write.

Together they write and share their work with one another. Rose Anna writes a story about salamanders trying to save the world...more
Brittany
This was a magical yet realistic journey into the world of teenagers who just have to write and be heard(even if they think they need to stay under the radar). Victor finds a very old typewriter at a yard sale that he just happens by. The owner let's him take it for free telling him "there's a story in there". Victor hauls the heavy machine on his bike and eventually up to "his" cabin in the woods. His mother used to live on a commune and in one of her books there's a picture of a naked man and...more
Miss Ami
Read this one a few years ago before I got my ereader and was going to the library for piles of print books every few weeks. I wasn't too impressed with the start but it grew on me and now I still remember it even after more than three years. Victor, I really understood, an introverted teen growing up in a small town wanting to be a writer with an old fashioned typewriter are all things I went through as a teen myself. Save that he's male, I'm female and the closest thing to writing while undres...more
Gorfo
This book was strange as the title might suggest. They didn't write naked often and I don't understand why you would write naked to begin with. The plot was predictable, I mean common certain things are bound to happen when you have a boy in a log cabin writing naked. The little story within the story was quite annoying to read because the writing level wasn't that high and I am not particurarily fond of talking salamanders. The book didn't live up to any of my expectations and I'm kind of sad t...more
Rachael
Jul 30, 2008 Rachael rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: writers, nature lovers, old-fashioned valuers!
Recommended to Rachael by: sitting on Youth Services Desk, barely checked in before I snagg
Shelves: teen-fiction
Currently reading but it's very captivating. Obviously, the title hooks you. He's very poignant and imaginative. It's hard to put down!!!

Finished 7/29
THe story is really neat. It's a good Y.A. read. The inner story has a good message about the world today. It's neat to imagine that young people still care about our nation's history and the war mistakes we've made (and are making.) Victor is very free-spirited and honest. Again, you don't see much of that these days. It was...a good read!

Amanda
Actually 4.5...I think. Maybe somewhere between 4 and 4.5.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay.

This has probably got to be the hardest book to rate or review yet.

Because on one hand? I was really wary about this book. And reading it, there were definitely some things I did not agree with. (Global warming-enviro-crazy stuff for one, wacky religion-y things for another...And there was also some, well...you know. Sans-clothing moments.)

But on the other hand? There were typewriters and fountain pens, woods and thinking,...more
Karen
I read this book because of the HPA book club, and it was not what I expected at all. It felt like the book was more a set of morals that were tied together with the plot - which I thought was an interesting and effective technique.

I had a little bit of trouble following the different stories at some points, but overall it was a great book and one that I'm really interested to discuss with others (I think the discussion may be more interesting than the book on its own).
Megan M.
This book was good, I mean really good, until the girl comes in, then I don't like it. Usually I like little romances in the stories I read, but this one would have been much more beautiful without one.
Becky
This was an easy read. I really liked the voice of the narrator, but found the story-within-the-story a bit tedious at times.
Ariel
This was a really weird book that didn't have a point , atleast that I could see . Not a book I would recommend to anyone .
Melissa Moore
Read for VSBA Committee, not very impressed.
Joan
Elegantly told story.
Celestasaurus
Write Naked was just about that - writing naked. Victor's parents, the hippies, once lived in a commune and had several books to prove it. One of them pictured a man, totally nude, with a caption on it: You have to be naked to write. What that means, Victor doesn't know. Does it mean baring your soul in your writing? Or does it mean that you literally have to be naked to write?

After receiving an ancient ROYAL typewriter, Victor lugs it up to his Uncle's cabin in the deep woods. Hoping for privac...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Angie Fisher for TeensReadToo.com

In a world full of technology, Victor is elated when he finds an old Royal typewriter at a garage sale. Doesn't matter that he isn't a writer.

Not one to hang out much with friends, Victor comes across an old book while going through items from his mom's hippie community living days. It recommends one write naked in order to find the "story within."

He figures he has nothing to lose...until he looks out the window to find he's being spied on. By a gir...more
Kat
Jan 18, 2014 Kat rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This book started off with an interesting premise and a likeable protagonist. After receiving an old typewriter, Victor decides to go "off the radar" and get away from technology and society by going up to an old cabin in the woods and writing on the typewriter. It gives him a new perspective on life, writing, and the world. The first half of the book is great, but when a girl Rose Anna, a homeschooled gypsy-like girl who literally writes naked enters the picture, it quickly devolves into teen r...more
Angie Fisher

In a world full of technology, Victor is elated when he finds an old Royal typewriter at a garage sale. Doesn’t matter that he isn’t a writer. Not one to hang out much with friends, Victor comes across an old book while going through his from his mom’s hippie community living days. It recommends one write naked in order to find the, “story within.” He figures he has nothing to lose…until he looks out the window to find he’s being spied on. By a girl.

Full of voice and innocence, Write Naked takes...more
Heather
I only picked up this book off the display at the library because it reminded me of a memorable moment at a writing group. However, it was actually a really fun read. I wasn't expecting the book to be that great because it was a book about people who are writing. This is usually a really bad idea. However, I found the voices of the main characters refreshing and familiar.

A few things might bother readers, such as the main character never capitalized his 'i' and Rose Anna is a huge tree hugger/hi...more
Amanda
This book is really more of a 3.5 stars, but I decided to push it down rather than up.

What I enjoyed about this book is the idea of writing and getting it all out there and really being true to one's self. I can relate to that as someone who wants to write. Victor and Rose Anna were definitely really well defined characters and I can picture them and they seem very real. It was also fun to read a book that takes place around where I'm currently living and starting to understand the sort of Vermo...more
Jul 01, 2010 Amanda rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Noone
Shelves: teen-fiction, ugh
I didn't get it. The book was 'interesting' at best. It was also very confusing, the plot skipped all over, and the characters weren't built, especially Rose Anna. She just jumps into the story and starts writing a very VERY weird story about newts, which is supposed to symbolize have hidden meanings, but made a jumble of words instead. She is described as some wiccan, tree hugging, political 16 year old girl, and it gets old fast. I DID like Victor and his story. I think the book would have bee...more
Melody
Despite its heavy-handedness, I really dug this book. The protagonist was so real, so sweet, so adorably goofy that I couldn't help loving him. The love interest was less real, but still believable- from Victor's point of view. There were passages near the end that took my breath away and made me remember falling in love, falling through space, at 16. The message of the book was delivered with a baseball bat, but since it's a message I can get behind, I didn't mind so much. Preachiness about con...more
mia
Jul 08, 2008 mia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I was completely stoked (do people still say stoked?!) to get this book after reading the review in VOYA, which was nothing less than spectacular. While the book was a good and interesting read and a different premise than lots of YA books, it didn't live up to the review for me. Still, a good book that I will probably recommend to some of my kids.
babs
I for some reason did not like this book. The message was clear and precise but the characters did not hold my interest. I Tore through this book for one reason only...to finish it and return it back to the library.

That said, it did have some great messages throughout and it should only be read for that reason. Not really for entertainment.
Jessica
This book was so beautifully written, i use it to compare to many books. I fell in love with the whole antique thing, and i've always wanted an old typewriter. The title caught me off gaurd, but made it all the interesting. I was thinking, "is this for real? or figurative?"
This book is insightful and adorable, and wrapped up nicely.
Atiya
I really enjoyed the book. However, the story that was being told inside of the story, at times, threw me off. It made me feel like the story was long and drawn out. Aside from that, the Author did a Great job telling of a love story/spiritual connection and the emotions of a teenager...Very vivid!
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Meghan
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 3 and 7?
Talky Talk: Waldenesque
Bonus Factors: Hippies, Vermont
Relationship Status: First Love

Read the full book report here.
Kamyia
i loved this book. it had just enough randomness for me to follow without getting completely confused. the only thing i didnt like about the book was the story within the story because it sometimes got boring with all the unnecessary details
Kath Ann
Not what you think, although he does write (type) naked in the beginning on an old Royal typewriter. I liked the different ways the two characters both wrote about their experiences- one as a fantasy, the other more realistic.
Trina
I was disappointed in this novel. I tend to enjoy reading books about teenagers who are passionate about writing. But I really do like a wee bit more plot in my books. (It reminds me a bit of Stargirl, but not quite so amusing.)
Tiaunna
Dec 08, 2008 Tiaunna rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tiaunna by: the author Peter Gould
I got to meet the author and was one of the first ones to get a SIGNED copy. He's a Vermont author, and he's really funny. It's about the life of a teen boy who has social problems. A 'good read' haha.
  • The Adventures of Blue Avenger (Blue Avenger, #1)
  • Debbie Harry Sings in French
  • Hush
  • Tripping
  • Eva Underground
  • The Trap
PETER GOULD is a youth theater director, a physical comedy performer, and a playwright whose works have been performed all over the world. He lives in Brattleboro, Vermont.
More about Peter Gould...
The Best Twelve Years Bristol Backs Macbush: A comedy in five acts Breaking Bad: The Official Scripts, Season 1

“They say desire is this endless loop. You can’t get out of it even when you get what you desire.”

“Why is that?”

“Because as soon as you get what you want, you’re going to want it again, or want more. And since you can never really be satisfied, you suffer. Or if you use up what you desired, you suffer even more.”
0 likes
“Victor, if you read this stuff, you can save people in the past from drowning. It's like time is a river, and it's nighttime, and you can hear people calling, Help, we're disappearing! So you stop and listen. That's how you save them.” 0 likes