Start by marking “The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies with Assorted Pixies, Mermaids, Brownies, Witches, and Leprechauns” as Want to Read:

4.76 of 5 stars 4.76  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
THIS WHIMSICAL AND charming collection of stories and poems was first published in 1951. Now a new generation of fairy fans can search for lost merbabies, bargain with pixies, and frolic under the moon with Jane Werner’s fantastic selection of “wee folk” tales, masterfully illustrated by Garth Williams.
Picture Book, 76 pages
Published 1951 by Simon and Schuster

Be the first to ask a question about The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies with Assorted Pixies, Mermaids, Brownies, Witches, and Leprechauns

Rebecca
This book has been in and out of print since 1951, has a cult following and a waiting list. It has been reissued the paper is not as nice the colors aren't as vibrant but it is still worth owning if you remember wanting silver leather shoes or solid ruby marbles.

Garth Williams illustrated this book. He also also drew the cover of Charlotte's Web.
Read about Goblins, elves, fairies, fairy bears and trolls. The stories are usually about the poor being rewarded by the fairies for having virtue.
Thi
Beth
One of the highlights of my childhood. I loved all of the stories but my favorites were about a boy who found a fairy scarf and traded it for a sack of "marbles", the fisher folk who adopt a merbaby, a bear in a salmon cannery, a house brownie and a bowl of milk, and the poem "The Fairies" by William Allingham that I still remember 40+ years later.

Unfortunately I don't have my copy anymore because my daughter booknapped it when she moved out of state, because she fell in love with it too.

I highl
Catherine
My favorite children's book ever. It goes out of print periodically, then the costs zooms to $300 on ebay, then 10 years later it will come back in print (I have seen this happen 3 times.) Ithink I have given this book as a gift about 6 times to various friends.
Myra
My aunt gave me this book when I was 7 years old and I've loved it since 1954. My children have loved it, too, and I look forward to sharing it with my grandson. The pictures are truly beautiful and the stories set fire to a child's imagination.
Laura Whitcomb
I grew up on these stories and poems about fairy folk, elves, brownies, leprechauns, goblins, and mermaids. The illustrations have always been the model for my fairy dreams and daydreams.
Stephanie
Hauntingly lovely illustrations by Garth Williams.
Sonal
Sonal marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 26, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Susan Quirus
Susan Quirus marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Tiffany R
Tiffany R marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Marlene
Marlene marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Kally Fancher
Kally Fancher marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Frosty the Snow Man My Big Little Golden Book About God The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book) The Christmas Story The Tall Book of Make-Believe