Start by marking “The Categories” as Want to Read:
The Categories

The Categories

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Expressions which are in no way composite signify substance, quantity, quality, relation, place, time, position, state, action, or affection. To sketch my meaning roughly, examples of substance are 'man' or 'the horse', of quantity, such terms as 'two cubits long' or 'three cubits long', of quality, such attributes as 'white', 'grammatical'. 'Double', 'half', 'greater', fa ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published -350)

To ask other readers questions about The Categories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Categories

i!
Bitches get wet when I distinguish primary substances from secondary and stipulate said-of-subject qualities from both, in-subject and contingent properties from the former.
Pinkyivan
Mar 17, 2016 Pinkyivan rated it it was amazing
I'm slowly becoming to think in Aristotelian terms to the point my mom said she has no idea what I'm talking about on few occasions.
Vaishali Joglekar
Mar 11, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient-cultures
Perfect for academics who make much ado about absolutely nothing :) After you get through the sentiments "Wow this guy had too much time on his hands" and "How does one pay the bills with no real skillset?", the treatise is quite an interesting assessment on the philosophy of word structure. What's astonishing is that Aristotle's comparative inquiry concerns ancient Greek... but is completely applicable to translated modern English, though much of our language is largely Germanic. Unsure if his ...more
Brian Schiebout
May 04, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it liked it
Categories is the first book in the classical series on logic by Aristotle my copy was translated by E. M. Edghill. As the title makes clear this book is all about classifying different information into categories. Any valid discussion requires that those having the discussion agree on what is meant by the terms that they are using. In this work Aristotle does just that so that the ideas of deduction and induction can be introduced and explored in other works of his. In this work he begins by ex ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it really liked it
Aristotle here defines a lot of the basic concepts and terms. It's simple, straightforward and at the same time an apparent leap beyond what must have existed previously. The concepts include: predicate, simple, composite (parts of speech), relative terms, that a number has no contrary but a comparative term does, contraries, simultaneous, prior, movement (types - generation, destruction, increase, diminution, alteration, change of place), and rest as contrary of motion.
Paolo Latini
Apr 01, 2013 Paolo Latini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-wanks
L'80% della filosofia contemporanea deriva dalle Categorie di Aristotele, che in queste cinquanta pagine ha creato la logica e tutti i suoi derivati.
Yi Chen Chong
I was a little confused, though where I could understand, I was interested by his divisions and categories. The differences between qualities, dispositions, and affections was truly astounding.
John Yelverton
Nov 08, 2015 John Yelverton rated it liked it
It's a pretty fascinating read. I utterly disagree with the author's conclusions, but it's quite obvious that many people adhere to these categories without even realizing it.
Luke Echo
Jan 01, 2016 Luke Echo rated it liked it
So this is where the whole distinction between substance and accident begins.
Bryan
Mar 06, 2012 Bryan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Scientists
The book is Aristotle's attempt to break down the nature of things, words, etc. into categories, such as 'nouns,' or 'plants,' etc.

I had this short book on audio and, as I was already listening to it and too busy to change it, I went ahead and finished it. Otherwise, it would have been too uninteresting for me. It's more of an academic, scholarly encyclopedia etc. than anything else.
Steve
Jan 25, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Aristotle’s treatise analyzing the difference between classes and objects, placing every object we can perceive or understand into one of ten categories (Substance, Quantity, Quality, Relation, Place, Time, Position, State, Action and Affection), some of which are explained more in depth than others. A basis for his philosophy and how he looked at the world around him
Cameron
Jul 30, 2013 Cameron rated it it was amazing
The bedrock of Aristotle's thought and the first great work of classic logic. Employing the syllogistic method, he organizes all of being into ten categories. This short early work was hugely influential and for good reason: it lays the foundation for our modern logic and represents a turn from the Platonic forms to individual beings as ontologically primary.
Marts  (Thinker)
Apr 04, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
The first of Aristotle's logical works, arranged into six books refered to as the Organon... This starts with the basics, simple analysis of things that are... The ten categories under which all objects can be placed encompass, substance, quantity, quality, relation, place, time, pposition, state, action, and affection or passion...
Alexander Temerev
May 02, 2012 Alexander Temerev rated it really liked it
One of the few books that really deserves a universal "must read" acclaim. It's hard to think of anything without understanding it implicitly, but understanding it explicitly is so much better.
Aaron Crofut
Jan 25, 2013 Aaron Crofut rated it it was ok
Why did I read this? It's not wrong per se, just not particularly useful.
Joshua
Oct 24, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it
Loved it. I'm fascinated by this genius and the time he lived.
Tank Green
Jun 20, 2010 Tank Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory, philosophy
the master. i need to read so much more of him me thinks.
Sara
Oct 12, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Good starting point for the rest of it.
Steven Untalan
May 30, 2012 Steven Untalan rated it it was amazing
I definitely reread it! lol
Rachel
Aug 09, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it
It was too confusing!
Will Foss
Will Foss rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Cartanmm
Cartanmm marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
curtisewahgmail.com
curtisewahgmail.com rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Fiony
Fiony rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Alec
Alec marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Amyo Roy
Amyo Roy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Huseyin Akbaba
Huseyin Akbaba rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Burcu Erbil
Burcu Erbil marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
  • Cratylus
  • The New Organon
  • Lives of Eminent Philosophers, Vol 1, Books 1-5
  • Martin's Hundred
  • On Being and Essence
  • Logic Deductive and Inductive
  • On History
  • Works and Days (Academic Monograph Reprint)
  • The Enneads
  • A History of Archaeological Thought
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today continue to be studied with keen, non-antiquarian interest. A prodigious researcher and wri
More about Aristotle...