Start by marking “Yankari” as Want to Read:
Yankari

Yankari

They come, and she watches. They hunt, and she warns.

Nigeria’s Yankari National Park is a place filled with nature’s wonders. Tourists come and go, leaving with life-changing experiences and memories they will cherish for the rest of their days.

There are others, though. They come to take more than a head filled with memories. They come to take lives and—even worse—trophies
Published September 29th 2014 by Ann Christy (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Yankari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankari

Bill Matthews
Sep 18, 2014 Bill Matthews rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes Sci Fi
This story is somewhat different from the Silo 40 series or Strikers that many of u have grown to love.

However, even though the setting is quite different, Africa, it still involves a young girl who is beginning to learn about herself.

The description of the Africa nature park, Yankari, is very believable.

What happens when Olisa, the young girl, comes of age is very interesting.

I was privileged to read an ARC copy, but I don't think that anything needs to be changed.
Truitti
Sep 29, 2014 Truitti rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy for an honest review. I appreciate authors who expose me to different cultures and worlds, whether they be on the Earth or some where in one of the millions of galaxies. This story is a fantasy set in our time on this Earth. Even though it is a novella, I became engrossed immediately. Christy' s descriptions had me tasting dust in the air, listening for birds outside my window and wondering if the slight shakes I felt were truly from the semi trucks ambling down an ...more
Michael
Sep 27, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Yankari, Ann Christy’s latest, is by turns magical, eerie, poetic, and terrifying. This is the story of a Nigerian girl with certain “powers” and her attempt to use those abilities to shield her idyllic home and its denizens from the banal evil of encroaching modernity. You just know, early on, that something unpleasant awaits the bad guys, and boy, does it ever. I found myself ripping through the pages to get to that point, and when I did, my hair was standing on end like I’d jammed my finger ...more
Ted
Sep 29, 2014 Ted rated it really liked it
This is a multi-tiered tale, which packs contemporary themes of conservation, survival and the blight of mankind, amongst a rich setting–all within a fantasy genre.

A different angle on the superhero story. A more wholesome, sustainable approach; one young and unlikely heroine's interconnectedness with the earth put to good use. It's unexpected and refreshing. Ann Christy has a way of writing that keeps the reader intrigued throughout the book and beyond. Let's hope to see some more of 'Talking E
Aret
Sep 28, 2014 Aret rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very well written short story! I really enjoyed reading it.

I loved the descriptions of The Nigerian Yankari National Park, it was all believable and made you feel like you were right there with Olisa. The way the story flowed was beautiful and captivating. Getting to know this little girl, Olisa, as she uses her special abilities kept me wanting to know more about her.

The story ended on an interesting note and I hope to see more i
Jenni
Sep 28, 2014 Jenni rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of Yankari for Kindle. Thank you, Ann

Yankari is so well written that I could see and feel Olisa's world as the story unfolded- the lush greens of the foliage, the dry air with a wind carrying fine dust, the heat of the day. I felt like I was there beside Olisa experiencing what she did! The book caught my interest immediately and I didn't put it down until I'd finished (good thing it was a short story). The ending pleased me....not only did "good" prevail, I wa
Seamus
Sep 28, 2014 Seamus rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this book really surprised me with its uncomplicated beauty. Set in Nigeria’s Yankari National Park, it tells the story of Olisa and her special ability.

A short, but very well written story and to my knowledge with a unique idea behind it all. I hope it continues, as the ending leaves this open for more......

Highly recommended!
Debbie
Jun 21, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Yankari National Park is not only the setting for this wonderful story. The description of the land and its inhabitants is so richly detailed as to make the park a character in the story. The main character is Olisa, and the park is home to her tribe. I found it interesting that her people had tried modern life elsewhere, and returned to a simpler lifestyle within the park by choice. Olisa and her teacher live apart from the rest of their people, and they share an unusual ability.

Olisa’s abilit
Rebask
Nov 21, 2015 Rebask rated it it was amazing
While I have had the lovely experience to have read several of her works, this is my favorite book of Ann Christy's to date. I am truly amazed that more of her followers and devoted readers have not (yet) read this book and reviewed it, both here and on Amazon.

Not only is "Yankari: A Talking Earth Tale" a mystical, magical and powerful story, but in my mind I can believe it is highly possible. I was taught that one is never too young nor too old to have faith in things that most can not fathom
Kaye Campbell
Dec 16, 2015 Kaye Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I finished this novella a few days ago and was so touched I haven't had the words to put together an appropriate review. This little book was moving, wise, fearless and challenging. It takes us into the atrocities committed by man toward animals and gives a young girl powers to try to stop them. The challenging part was to know how timely this beautifully crafted piece was and wishing the whole world would read it! Ann Christy writes in a lyrical style that reaches beyond the cognitive, ...more
Diana Green
Feb 24, 2016 Diana Green rated it really liked it
This was a unique and thoughtful story. The writing flowed well, creating vivid images and feelings. I would be curious to read more by this author.
Teri Miller
Mar 31, 2016 Teri Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never in my life have I been so moved by a story.

This book is so powerful, it should be required reading for everyone. It needs to be translated into every language. In a few years I expect it will be a classic, up there with To Kill A Mockingbird.

An 8 year old girl from a special, but primitive, tribe in Africa is training to protect wild life. She is being trained by an older loving and wise woman with skills in communicating literally through the earth.

This young girl, Olisa, is more powerf
Cheer Papworth
Cheer Papworth rated it it was amazing
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Ann Christy
Oct 03, 2014 Ann Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Ingrid Smythe
Ingrid Smythe rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
C.G. Faulkner
C.G. Faulkner rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Pilz
Pilz rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Leonard
Leonard rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Preston
Preston rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Philip
Philip rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2015
John Lach
John Lach rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Ingrid Smythe
Ingrid Smythe rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Ann Christy
Sep 28, 2014 Ann Christy added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author
Rachel Thomas
Rachel Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Brian Frantz
Brian Frantz marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Josie
Josie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Richard Donnelly
Richard Donnelly marked it as to-read
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Aletia
Aletia marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jennifer Wells
Jennifer Wells marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Bex Knightley
Bex Knightley marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Rebask
Rebask added it
Nov 18, 2015
Elizabeth Strand
Elizabeth Strand marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Peggy Darling
Peggy Darling marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Shadow
Shadow marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
1208606
Born in L.A. County quite by accident, I'm an Eastern Carolinian by nature and nurture. That would by North Carolina.

Though I'm a scientist by profession, the writing bug somehow got inside me and I'm trying to marry a lifetime of equations with a desire for putting out a readable work.

I love to hear what I did well and what I could do better. And if you like my stories, well, then you'll absolut
More about Ann Christy...