Start by marking “Murder for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Murder for Christmas

Murder for Christmas

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Legendary writers such as Agatha Christie, Georges Simenon, Stanley Ellin, and Ellery Queen, and famous characters such as Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Wimsey, and Nero Wolfe are included in this collection of 14 timeless Yuletide tales of mystery, malice, and murder. "A refreshingly unorthodox Christmas anthology".--The Atlantic Monthly.
Published December 1st 1988 by Mysterious Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Murder for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder for Christmas

Alexis
For lovers of mysteries and short stories alike, this wonderful collection of Christmas-themed mysteries is a marvelous read. The mysteries range from tales of theft and murder to ghostly encounters and bungled attempts at malevolence. The stories authored by Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, G.K. Chesterford, Charles Dickens, Georges Simenon and Carter Dickinson were my favorites. Also, the darkly humorous illustrations by Gahan Wilson definitely enhanced my reading experienc ...more
Ralph
I spent most of my 2013 Christmas, and a bit into the new year, with a wonderful collection of murderers, assassins, and assorted ne'er-do-wells. Often the various malefactors were brought to justice by champions of law and order like Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Ellery Queen or Nero Wolfe, but sometimes also by lesser lights of the Detectiverse like Inspector Ghote or the Old Man in the Corner, but even when the law did not take action, Nemesis-like Fate was always ready to lend a hand, or ...more
I got this book as a gift last Christmas. It’s a collection of 26 stories: one for each day of Christmas plus a “Boxing Day Bonus.” This year, I read a story a day and enjoyed it very much. Each story was good, I liked basically all of them. I don’t think there was one that I didn’t like, but there were several that stood out as my favorites:

Mr. Big by Woody Allen
The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie
A Chaparral Christma
☺Trish
Murder for Christmas, edited by Thomas Godfrey, "contains twenty-six tales of seasonal malice and yuletide malfeasance" . . . perpetrated by some of the greats of the genre, including superb selections from Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Ellery Queen, Dorothy L. Sayers, Margery Allingham, and my favorite story of the bunch - Christmas Party by Rex Stout. I adore Archie Goodwin and always will - he's why I've always been willing to put up with Nero Wolfe's tomfoolery. In my hea ...more
Sharon Griffitts
Every year I try to read some Christmas tale. Actually I had read the first two or three stories in this volume last year. I guess my Grinch mood prompted me to finish it this year.
Some of these stories are written by the best known mystery and crime writers in the English speaking world (and one Frenchman). There are stories of three or four pages and some more like novellas running to 30 pages. Their common thread is that the events, (murder mostly, theft less often)all occurred during the Chr
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Kaylynn Johnsen
I started this collection of short stories last Christmas but put it away when I didn't finish it by the end of the holidays. I had a few great stories, some fun reads, but most of the stories were by authors who are no longer popular and I can see why. I was also about to get a taste for some mystery series and decided that I'm not interested. Nero Wolfe is a narcissistic detective who really doesn't care that much for the truth. I thought Ellery Queen was a bore, and I used to love the TV show ...more
Suzanne Bordwell

The Case is Altered
Christmas Party
The Flying S
Rachel
Some of my favorites inside this anthology!
Jenny
All the best detectives, Roderick Allen, Campion, Father Brown, Poirot, Lord Peter Wimsey and so many many more. Amazing book if you like mysteries set at Christmas.
Kim
Three stars is based on averaging. Some of the stories (Agatha Christie, Stanley Ellin, Baroness Orczy, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy L. Sayers, Margery Allingham) were wonderful; some are a bit too self conciously clever (Woody Allen, DB Wyndham Lewis), and others just not my style (Ellery Queen, Damon Runyon). There are some wonderful Graham Wilson drawings, too. This is a fun, light holiday read for mystery lovers, but if you have a very narrow taste in mysteries, this might be a little catholic for y ...more
Kestrell
This collection definitely offers a selection of the classic golden age mystery writers at their best, plus a few newer stories (the Woody Allen story is a plum for those readers who enjoy a little metafiction), and a few obscure works (who knew that Thomas Hardy wrote a Christmas mystery which didn't end in death and despiar all around?).

I would highly recommend this collection as a solid start for anyone who is intrigued by the criminal possibilities of Christmas.
Hanna
I bought this book because it has neat cover art- a slightly sinister Santa and a mildly malicious Mrs. Claus, and because it was only a dollar. Many of the stories are excellent, some are a bit outdated (what on earth is a wire recorder?), and a few are not that great and give the impression that they have been included just because of the Christmas setting. Overall fun to read and gets you in a festive mood (aside from the murders and whatnot :)
CD
Jan 05, 2009 CD rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of murder mystery, etc.
Recommended to CD by: Dear Old Mom
Shelves: fiction, crime
An amusing collection of alternative Yuletide entertainments.

Santa might not deliver this to the naughty or nice but he might take it along for in-flight reading!

Some fun fair from the literary greats of mystery and mayhem.

My family digs this one out every year to have on hand and sit down with for a short story or two in the corner waiting to eat more or between runnnin around with family/friends.
Delia
As another reviewer stated a lot of these authors come across as quite dated. You do get an appreciation for certain authors' abilities to write of their time period but in a timeless fashion. Others suffer from their styles. It was nice to have a collection that had so many famous authors that I hadn't read before and now I can decide whether or not to continue reading them or drop them having given them a chance.
Lesley
An anthology collection from mostly classic mystery writers. Here is a list of the authors:Fun easy reading,The stories authored by Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, G.K. Chesterford, Charles Dickens, Georges Simenon and Carter Dickinson and Nagio Marsh were my favorites. This is one I've had for many years & want to read again.

Ange
I don't think I'll finish during the next 2 weeks, so I'll pick the authors I already enjoy. Maybe next Christmas season I'll try someothers. The authors I'll start with is Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Baroness Orczy, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy L. Sayers, Margery Allingham, and G.K. Chesteron. If I get all these in this year, I'll it's quite an accomplishment.
Debra B.
I had read a paperback version of this book years ago, but received a hardcover copy as a gift recently. I really enjoyed reading this book. I did not remember most of the stories from the last time I read it. It is a good collection of holiday murder and other mysteries all taking place at Christmas.
Venessa
My beloved Aunt got me this book when I was in high school and every few years I like to reread the stories in December. 26 stories, one for each of the days leading up to Christmas, plus an extra for Boxing Day. Classics from Christie, Marsh, and other. The illustrations and extras that are dispersed between the stories are fantastic, too.
Judy
I love mysteries, short stories, and Christmas. Put those three things together and I'm in hog heaven. These 26 short stories by some of the masters of the classic mystery genre were an entertaining break from holiday preparations. Of particular delight were the illustrations by Gahan Wilson. Classic holiday fun.
K8
The quality of the stories in this anthology was really mixed. While there were some really great stories in it, there were other that put me to sleep. The only reason I made it through the whole anthology was that I didn't want to miss out on the good stories.
Rachel
An anthology collection from mostly clasic mystery writers. I enjoyed soem of the stories but it got repetitive after awhile and I had only actually ehard of a few of the authors int he collection. the cartoons interspersed in between stories were just weird.
Melanie
Excellent collection of short stories -it's been perfect over Christmas to read it and lose myself in past times. There are some modern tales in there too as full of the snow and atmosphere of Christmas as any Dickensian scene. I can't fault it.
Heather
I like to read this book at least once a year. I love it. I first got it as a present in 1992; my copy is totally yellowed and the spine is worn out, but it's still very fondly considered.
Nikki
Gahan Wilson's illustrations add greatly to this fine anthology of Christmas-themed mystery stories. I read it so early because I was looking for read-aloud stories, didn't find any.
Maureen
Nostalgic anthology of short stories by all the greats of the genre and several I was not familiar with. LOVED the story by Woody Allen.
Kyrie
When the holidays start to get all Hallmarky and ooey-gooey sweet, I pull this book off the shelves and restore my equilibrium.
Martha
Dec 15, 2008 Martha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is one I've had for many years & want to read again. May not get it read by Christmas, but will get to a story or 2.
Eva
Fun easy reading. It's a compilation of stories (mostly mysteries) that take place around Christmas.
Chris
I only enjoyed Maigret, Ellery Queen was better as the TV program and for the rest...I'll plead the 5th.

• Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • A Rumpole Christmas: Stories
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe, #14)
  • The Adventures of Ellery Queen
  • Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / Dead Man's Folly / Sad Cypress / Towards Zero / N or M?
  • The Alpine Christmas (Emma Lord Mystery, #3)
  • The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • The Complete Stories
  • A Highland Christmas (Hamish Macbeth, #16)
  • The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Sometimes They Bite
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald Mystery #6)
English Country House Murders:  Classic Crime Fiction of Britain's Upper Crust Murder for Christmas - Volume 2 Murder At The Opera The prince of Parthia, a tragedy The Prince of Parthia A Tragedy