Start by marking “Transformers vs. G.I. Joe, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Transformers vs. G.I. Joe, Vol. 1

Transformers vs. G.I. Joe, Vol. 1

Earth makes contact with an alien race—and G.I. JOE is on the front lines! But when the TRANSFORMERS arrive—well, let’s just say you’ve never seen TRANSFORMERS or G.I. JOE like this! Visionary comic book maker Tom Scioli (with TRANSFORMERS fan-favorite John Barber in tow) combine two of the biggest names in entertainment into the surprise breakout hit of 2014!

Collects issu
Published January 6th 2015 by IDW Publishing (first published December 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Transformers vs. G.I. Joe, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transformers vs. G.I. Joe, Vol. 1

Nicolo Yu
Apr 22, 2015 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
Transformers vs. G.I. Joe in the hands of Tom Scioli is all kinds of crazy goodness. I didn't think his Jack Kirby-inspired art would mesh with the clean cut technology of Cybertronian mechanics and military hardware but he made it work. One thing that is truly amazing is that he juggles a sizable cast drawing on as much characters as he can from the mythos of both franchises and by sheer will manages to an alchemy that would be acceptable to fans of both.

One thing that I would recommend is that
Nicolo Yu
Jan 18, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing

One thing that I would recommend is that
Greg
Feb 24, 2015 Greg rated it it was amazing
This is ridiculous. This is also the most fun I've had reading comics in the past year. I previously knew next to nothing about Transformers or G.I. Joe, I'm no fan of the comics or film adaptations. I've seen maybe a couple episodes of the cartoons in my life, and I believe that's where Scioli and the team get their inspiration from. Saturday morning cartoons, and popular comic art from the late 70s/early 80s (like Ed Piskor's "Hip Hop Family Tree," but more vibrant). The plot is bizarrely ...more
Bradley
Jun 30, 2015 Bradley rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library
Content-wise it's like Axe Cop minus the humor and imagination. It's all about Tom Sciola's fantastic Kirby-esque art, which I loved in Godland, but it doesn't compensate for writing that's so poor. Since Sciola is credited as co-writer, it seems obvious that it was written using the Marvel Method, but unfortunately Sciola and John Barber are no Kirby and Stan Lee.

Seems to use hundreds of one-dimensional characters, and I had trouble remembering who they were despite being endlessly reminded of
Jeff
Nov 28, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
Where to even begin with this insanity? Two soulless 80's toy properties filtered through the lens of Kirby. Certainly not for all tastes (I can't imagine anyone not already familiar with both properties to even remotely follow what's happening or the ocean of characters introduced), but it's pretty inspiring in its batshit impressionism.
Michael Neno
A lot of passion, hard work and inventiveness are crammed into the first volume of Transformers vs. G.I. Joe, largely due to artist Tom Scioli, who treats the scenario like a toy-filled sandbox, complete with toy weapons, robots and flying contraptions.

Being unfamiliar with the characters in both series (I had graduated from watching TV network cartoons by the '80s and '90s), the series reminds me most of Lee and Kirby's early Sgt. Fury
series: a plethora of scrambling, fighting characters bellow
Matt
Aug 12, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
Man, it's like if Kirby got a hold of GI Joe and Transformers and was told he could go nuts with it. And not just the art, but the story's extremely Kirby. Fantastic work, all around.
Batmark
Mar 05, 2016 Batmark marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, dnf
G.I. Joe was the first comic book series I read regularly as a kid. My dad bought me my first issue when I was twelve. Man, I loved that comic. Thirty years later, a G.I. Joe series written and drawn by Tom Scioli seemed like it would be right up my alley. Scioli's earlier works, including The Myth of 8-Opus and American Barbarian, are steeped in the pop-comics culture of the '80s (plus a healthy dose of Jack Kirby's aesthetic). He's a talented creator with a wild, unique point of view.

Unfortuna
Richard Rosenthal
May 10, 2016 Richard Rosenthal rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic
This is a nostalgia milking mess. I picked it up because i loved the toys, cartoons and comics as a kid. Every single page tries to harness by introducing new characters with the Joes all having little bio cards like on the back of toy packaging. It looks to be drawn and colored with crayolas with a focus on colors that hurt the eyes to look at. For 19.99 you get four issues that only cover part of a story arc, some thoughts from the writers / artists and a requisite variant covers concept art ...more
Jacob
Feb 13, 2015 Jacob rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

While I'm aware of the artist's work and his style being close to Kirby this overhyped book was a mixed bag for me because I didn't enjoy it as much as others seem to. Sure, it's a nutty, fun book, but it's intentionally done as if an indie, young cartoonist was at the helm and only took parts of what was liked on the cartoon and Larry Hama comics and passed it around the classroom. The problem for me was: clear storytelling communication. Often times, the reader is told some
Shane Perry
Apr 08, 2015 Shane Perry rated it it was ok
More 2.5

Easily the best thing about this comic is the retro, 80's-style art. As far as story, the meeting of Hasbro's biggest franchises is handled well, but it mostly feels like reading a group of boys throwing action figures at each other. Makes sense considering both ARE toys, but I don't think I was a big enough fan of either franchise to enjoy this a whole lot. All the Transformers and Joes look the same. Hard to keep most of them straight.
Stephen Kelley
Wanted to love this, but the plot was too wacky for me. Perhaps if this wasn't a licensed property the story would not have been an issue, but you can tell this was done in the old "Marvel Method" where Tom Scioli was able to run wild with his amazing Kirby-esque art and dialog was added later. Perhaps it's because I really liked the Larry Hama comics of the 80's and 90's where stuff was serious, a step backwards into the silliness of the cartoon was not what I wanted.
Matt Adams
Sep 10, 2015 Matt Adams rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The retro, Jack Kirby style art was fantastic, and the reason I bought it in the first place. But the story was just alright. I appreciated the idea that it played out like something from a young hyperactive boy's imagination, but it wore off after a while, and once you get past that (for me anyway)...there's not much substance to the story at all. Worth a read though. Really, I'd say a 3.5 if I could.
Matthew Brady
Oct 05, 2015 Matthew Brady rated it it was ok
I like Tom Scioli, but I think this series is just not for me, since I'm not interested in trying to recapture my sessions of playing with toys as a kid. It's fun, but really, one issue is pretty much enough, and it gets stretched thin by the end of this collection. I don't need any more than that, thanks.
Matt Knippel
Apr 15, 2015 Matt Knippel rated it liked it
this was something very interesting. I really dug the way this book looked and just how ridiculous it was willing to go but from a story standpoint I feel like I was always one step behind. it might be b/c I know very little about either of these universes but I still find myself enjoying every page. the classic example of style over substance but I can't help but think that was very deliberate.
John
May 12, 2016 John rated it liked it
Pretty much insanity, and mayhem from cover-to-cover. Perhaps if I'd grown up with these two franchises I'd have been more blown away, because this is 100% craziness, and I was often not super sure what was happening. MAYHEM!!

Worth a look from the library, but it's no Micronauts, or Shogun Warriors! :p
B
May 22, 2016 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, westend
This is good and a little crazy at the same time. It's not more psychedelic than you can imagine—it's just more psychedelic than you would predict given the brands and histories involved. I'm interested if there's a payoff or it's just a ride.
Ian
Dec 13, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it
IDW continues its run of good licensed comics, focusing on quality over empty nostalgia. Transformers vs. GI Joe combines huge amounts of Jack Kirby inspired art and scripting with a type of manic garage-band energy rarely seen outside of the indie market, let alone in a licensed toy comic.
Rob
Mar 15, 2015 Rob rated it it was ok
Have to say I was hugely disappointed with this. It failed to hit the nostalgia vibe for me and was a cluttered and incoherent mess throughout.
Mitch Gage
Apr 14, 2015 Mitch Gage rated it really liked it
Love the new old-school take on this. The art is awesome in it's pulpy Jack Kirby-ness. The mix of corny and violent is perfect.
Marc Burkhardt
Feb 20, 2015 Marc Burkhardt rated it it was amazing
Take your time reading this because every panel of the story is a mind-melting masterpiece of its own.
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
William Dickerson
William Dickerson rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2016
Nicole Sherman
Nicole Sherman rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Adam Braeckman
Adam Braeckman rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2015
Acton Northrop
Apr 11, 2015 Acton Northrop rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I loves this so much I loaned it to a friend I guess I put the 'bro' in hasbro huh
Ricardo Dias
Ricardo Dias rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016