Aphrodite's Kiss (Superhero Central #1)

Aphrodite's Kiss (Superhero Central #1)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  1,400 ratings  ·  143 reviews
In order to save the world, a superhero-in-training must overcome not only her archenemy, but her fear of falling in love with the handsome detective who can help her.
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published April 28th 2001 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about Aphrodite's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aphrodite's Kiss

Lyssa Meyer
I stumbled upon this book while looking through the ebooks my library system offers. This book had fairly high user ratings and a plotline that I thought I'd be interested in, so I gave it a shot.

I love Zoe. She's a very real character. I'm usually drawn to characters who don't quite see themselves as they really are, or are having a hard time accepting certain aspects of their personalities, and Zoe fits right in to that description. She's having a very hard time coming to terms with her "super...more
Mpb
Goodreads Synopsis:

Zoe Smith might look like your average, ordinary elementary school librarian, but she’s about as far from normal as a girl can get. Because Zoe is descended from a line of superheroes … and as her twenty-fifth birthday approaches, she has to decide if she’s going to embrace her heritage (including all the wackiness that comes with X-ray vision and her extraordinary senses) or submit herself for mortalization and be that average, ordinary girl. Considering how lousy she’s done
Spellbound Reviews
Superhero librarian? Yep. Crazy-hot PI with an embedded bullet? Yes, please. A super-hot, overprotective older brother with invisi-sneezes and a talking ferret? Yes! Yes! Yes!

Finally a book where the heroine could kick the hero's ass!

Zoe is fast approaching her 25th birthdy, which means she has to decide whether to go with her mortal half or her superhero half. Unfortunately there are pros and cons of each:

Pros of becoming a full-superhero/protector:
- Zoe can keep her powers.
- She'll be close...more
Amber
I really enjoyed this fast read.
There was humor, action and romance all in one book. The characters were likable, well except for the bad guys.
I liked the banter between characters, not too over the top.
The super powers were nicely placed in the story and humorously at that. I laughed many times. Even the romance was not over the top which is a bid deal for me since I'm not into the overly hot and bothered romance books.
I am eagerly awaiting reading the next book in the series.
Ann Marie
I really liked this book and this new author to me. A book about a seemingly normal librarian, who really is a superhero in training, and a private investigator who is looking for someone normal to love. Kenner threw in a great legend, a whole bunch of references to Greek mythology, a best girl friend who anyone would love to call a friend and a ferret named Elmer. It was super fun to read!
Tyia
I read this series years ago. I'm still a fan of comic book heroes and this novel had everything I needed to quinch my thirst. This super powered series is full of laughs Orgasmic chocolate accidental ex-ray peeking and a couple good enough to laugh with.
Lauren
So this book was a little cheesy but very cute. I liked the characters but the romance was too... sudden for me. I mean - it had a insta-love feel to it.
 photo 7056653_zpscm9nrs2e.jpg
Also, I think I'd have liked the story a little more if the Protectors had actually been Greek gods. The whole super hero angle just fell flat for me...

All in all, a cute & cheesy romance. 2 Stars, no more, no less.

This book was part of my Rainbow Challenge - February Pink
Melissa ownsbey
i thought the book was a fun and entertaining read i liked it
i am now a fan i did not win this book from good reads it was given to me
Kathy
First in the series.

Librarian Zoe is more than she seems. She's a Halfling, one part human, one part secret Super Hero and descended from the Greek gods. Just as she's about to take her test to become a full time Protector (they protect humans also called mortals in a not nice way), she meets a human PI and sparks fly, of course. Zoe and her gang of mortals and Protectors have to save the world from her evil uncle, Hieronymous while Zoe and Taylor figure out if they're meant to be together.

Nice...more
Trea
I've been pretty spoiled with superhero books. I read a bunch of the Marvel novelizations back in the day, and was blessed to find a blending of those and romances in Jennifer Estep's Bigtime series. Now, every superhero romance I come across is measured by the yardstick that is the Bigtime series. Unfortunately, this one fell well short of that mark. Even Liana Brooks' Even Villains Fall In Love was better than this, and that's saying something since I didn't like that one all that well! Aphrod...more
Judy
Aphrodite’s Kiss by Julie Kenner
Protectors/Superhero Series Book 1
Zoe Smith, the quiet librarian at the school is more than she seems to be, much more. She is a half-ling. It’s her twenty-fifth birthday soon and she is hoping to become a Protector, then her special skills will be used to protect the mortals. When a hunky mortal crosses her path, she struggles against the attraction. There hasn’t been one case where the Protector and mortal have had a successful relationship, her own parents incl...more
Morrigan
The book is about Zoe Smith, a superhero. Really! She has X-Ray vision, super senses that make her lose her mind at the taste of chocolate and many other powers. She is about to take her tests for becoming a full fledged superhero but, something stands in her way. Telling her mom about her powers, which is really hard since that's the reason she left Zoe's father, and her pesky cousin Mordichai who is really messing with her. She also has to deal with a hunky PI and makes her, literally, go into...more
Tracy
~* 3.5 Stars *~
Zoe Smith is almost twenty-five years old. Instead of preparing a party for the big day, however, she's struggling with insecurities, worried about telling her mother about her halfling nature (afraid that her Mom will spurn her like she did Zoe's father before she was born), and working on her superhero skills to try to pass whatever tests she needs to pass when she submits her application to the Venerate Council of Protectors. Only problem is, she's iffy at best with telekinesis...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Mild mannered librarian by day, super hero-in-training by night? Seems like that’s Zoe Smith’s current forecast, or at least until she turns twenty-five and can become a full-time super hero (with the Council’s approval first, of course). In the meantime, she’s on the hunt for a special necklace and will not let anything get in her way – not her crazy cousin, nor her super hunky detective sidekick.

Zoe Smith is a hot mess. Senses so hypersensitive that just the tiniest bite of chocolate sends he...more
Jessica
i absolutely loved this book it was exactly what my night nedded! now ill be the first to say this is in no way high literature...but it isnt meant to be so either get off your high horse or read something else. this book was first and foremost hilllllllarious. i laughed the whole way through though there were plenty of awww moments as well. superheroes normally wouldnt be my cup of tea and i almost didnt read this but im so glad i did because this one hooked me. zoe was a little innocent and bu...more
Jessi
Zoe Smith is turning 25 and is about to come into her super powers. Actually, she's a halfling, so she's registering to take the test to become a full-fledged Protector. Her powers are going a little hay-wire as she comes into adulthood, all of her senses are amping up, super-sharp hearing, x-ray vision, and super taste buds that do a full-fledged flamenco when she eats chocolate.
Into her school library walks George Bailey Taylor who is trying to esrablish his PI business and has been reduced t...more
Janice (Janicu)
A silly, cute type book. Written in a sort of chick-lit style with a protagonist who is a children's librarian and half-superhero, and about to enter a role full time as a Protector. That is, if she doesn't fail her test or decline the job - both of which means she will become mortal and suffer a memory wipe. Losing her memory will mean forgeting her superhero relatives (her dad and big brother). Her powers are x-ray vision, super strength and super sensitivity (chocolate makes her practically e...more
Sharon
This Book one from the 'Superhero Central' series, & have just been re-released with new book cover art. There's a set of four books followed by two novellas in the series.
Zoe Smith on her birthday has a chance to become a superhero, yes she has X-ray vision & flying ability, but with her heightened five senses, she can't eat a square of chocolate without bursting with pleasure.
George Taylor comes into her life, a sexy, strong private investigator, she's attracted to him & contact is...more
Siew Ee
This book is about a woman, Zoe Smith (with a superhero dad and mortal mom). As a halfing, she has to pass a test before she can join the Council and help mortals; otherwise, she will be "mortalized", with all her memories wiped clean of all superhero relatives. Simple storyline with the clueless Zoe having to save the world from evil. The love interest is good-looking with a good heart, but totally broke and not the typical strong, silent type in Mills & Boons. He grows on you though, and y...more
Jennifer Erwin
This was cute. It reminded me of those madcap love/comedies of old. Zoe is half human half superhero (thanks to her dad). I don't want to spoil this for anyone but if you love happily ever after with some zaniness thrown in, this is the book for you. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series now.
Rebecca
I picked this book up as something different. I'm not usually into contemporary romance and I guess this book reminded me why. While the story was cute and slightly interesting, the author failed to really drive the importance of the main plot points. I never really "cared" about any of the characters. The "bad guy" wasn't really bad, just annoying and the focus of the story never really developed. Too much of the book was spent with the main character bemoaning her need to "choose" and in the e...more
Gizzard
I usually like Kenner but this book was just.... juvenile with explicit sex scenes. The very main plot was ok, but after that it felt like she took a book written for teens and threw in sex. Her zombie slayer mom books were much better.
Anoolka
Started reading it ages ago but somehow got distracted and forgot about it. Couldn't remember the author and title for the longest time. I rather liked the book at the time, fluff but enjoyable, so perhaps I'll finish it at some point.

ETA: lost interest halfway in. Far too much romance for me. I don't really like how much emphasis and repetition there is about how beautiful the heroine and the hero are. Halfway in I started skimmng, the plot meandered and the dialogue didn't work much for me.
Di...more
Jennifer (random jendsmit)
This story was good, but the writing styles bounces around from character to character and is pretty confusing at times. I found myself rereading parts in order to understand what was going on. This story moved somewhat slow and took over half the book for me to get into the story and care about what was going on.

Good ol' romance storyline... girls falls for boy and there are complications. There needs to be more background in this book - at least for me - to understand what is going on in the b...more
I've read a lot of books about halflings and super-powers and heightened abilities lately, with those books taking themselves very seriously and earnestly.

It was nice to read a book that was meant very tongue in cheek. Though it started off with a lot of humor, that did get overshadowed quickly when the heroine meets the hero, and the humor drains a bit from the pages to be replaced with how much her super-skin tingles, and how she tastes colors whenever Taylor is around.

However, it does featur...more
Twilightwatchers
Greek love story, not!!!

Just by the title, I was expecting this book to be about the Greek god. What a nice twist to a old concept.
Tina
Enjoyable

I do like Julie Kenner's writing style. she is focused and fluid. her characters have depth and personality. her books don't seem to try to be anything but what they are: light well written entertainment.
Vernon Keszler
Got the Kindle version free on Amazon. Very entertaining - fantasy, mystery, action and romance.
Crystal
This book was pretty good, the characters were very likable and they all had some quirks. I enjoyed the plot as well. This was not a deep book but it was a fun read and was written well.
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Catch of a Lifetime (Tritone Trilogy, #3)
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love, #3)
  • A Mother's Way (Superhero Central #6)
  • Gemini Moon
  • Cowboy Trouble
  • The Matchmakers
  • Phenomenal Girl 5 (Elite Hands of Justice, #1)
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Ghostly Awakening
  • Got a Hold on You
  • Love To Love You Baby
  • The Sacrifice (Forbidden, #1)
  • Once Bitten
  • How (Not) to Kiss a Toad (Cindy Eller, #1)
  • Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
Carpe Demon (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #1) California Demon (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #2) Demons Are Forever (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #3) Deja Demon (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #4) Demon Ex Machina (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #5)