Start by marking “Kiss Good Night” as Want to Read:
Kiss Good Night

Kiss Good Night

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,179 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
"The finale is so satisfying that it calls for an encore. 'Again!' Sam says, as will readers of this cozy story." - CHILD magazine

It was a dark and stormy night on Plum Street. In the little white house, Mrs. Bear was putting Sam to bed.

Outside, the wind blows and the rain comes down. Inside, it is Sam's
bedtime. Mrs. Bear reads him a story, tucks him in, and brings him war
Board Book, 32 pages
Published September 9th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Good Night

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
189th out of 1,900 books — 1,227 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
books you can read over and over
483rd out of 648 books — 266 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Nov 27, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Kiss Good Night is a book that every little child loves to read for bed time! The simple plot line and excellent pictures make this book a sure win! The front cover words and illustration make it easy for children to guess what Sam is looking for. Yet, even though its an easy guess its still just as exciting for them when you finally get to those last pages! The color choices for the illustrations are especially nice with the way the background and the words pop out. These colors make it easier ...more
Britteny Gilge
Nov 21, 2013 Britteny Gilge rated it really liked it
In one of my classes we talked about how different people have different rituals that they do before bedtime. Some do nothing, some get read a book, some get sang to sleep. In Kiss Good Night we are taken through Sam’s own ritual before bed. Sam is read to, tucked in bed with his stuffed animal friends, and then drank a glass of warm milk. After all this Sam was still not ready for bed because he was missing one thing. He finally receives the last part of his bed time routine and then is able to ...more
Candice
Jan 19, 2014 Candice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I read this to my 8-month-old granddaughter and we both loved it. When the mommy bear kisses Sam, I kissed Annabelle and she beamed. With that reaction, how could I give this book any less than 5 stars? It is a sweet book about bedtime rituals and there is lots of love between mother and son. The illustrations are colorful and homey and complete a perfect addition to a bedtime story collection.
Carly Wesley
Apr 29, 2014 Carly Wesley rated it really liked it
Very simple plot about Bears routines before going to sleep. Mrs. Bear reads her child Sam a story, they both know the words to the book. She tucks Sam in and gets his favorite stuffed animals, a glass of warm milk. Sam says that she is missing something. She is missing a goodnight kiss or three!

This story is simple and easy to follow. It could be helpful for goodnight routines for little children younger than 3 years old. It is very predictable but a very sweet story.

The illustration are vibr
Suzy Platt
Feb 02, 2015 Suzy Platt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mya
Such a lovely story about bedtime routine. We have exactly the same routine with my 3 year old daughter and I can't miss a thing as she always tells me what comes next and I can't leave the room without giving her a big kiss and cuddle. Great book for little ones and getting into a nighttime routine.
Donna Siebold
Sep 01, 2015 Donna Siebold rated it liked it
Amy Hest does cute stories. I am bit surprised that this book was done in board book form as the illustrations are a bit more detailed than most young readers can comprehend. There was a fair amount of text on each page as well, nonetheless the story is a sweet one.
Nicky
May 05, 2015 Nicky rated it it was amazing
We love this story - it's sweet and gentle and great for really little ones as they can identify with Sam and his bedtime routines but my girls still ask for it now sometimes, especially if they are feeling unwell. The illustrations are lovely too.
Maileigh
May 03, 2012 Maileigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
This book is read every night. It has a pleasant bedtime routine between mother and child with the addition of a stormy night. Other than the mother forgetting (or pretending to forget) to kiss her son goodnight before she leaves, there aren't any troubles or tantrums to work through.

Parents reading this book may have concerns over the lack of proper punctuation. There are times the story will use commas and conjunctions appropriately, but then there will be long run-on sentences that can confus
JMRL
Even after a story, being tucked in, and warm milk, Sam is not ready to go to sleep until his mother kisses him good-night.

Find at JMRL: http://goo.gl/ZKik9c
Lisa Fletcher
Sep 23, 2014 Lisa Fletcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a favourite of my four month old. He loves it when the wind blows "Whoo, whooo!" and the rain splats.
Amanda
Jul 27, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amanda by: Son picked at the library
I thought that the illistrations in this book were very nice. My son was convienced that Mrs. Bear was the daddy for some reason. I have to admit that it was a bear in a green sweater... pretty non descript pictures in general. When rating a childrens book if my son don't get the story from the pictures that hurts the score pretty badly. So, although they were attractive to look at they were not so thought provoking. In fact I don't think he asked a single question other than the daddy/mommy con ...more
Aprils
Jul 17, 2014 Aprils rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the illustrations. This would make a sweet bedtime book for children ages 0-4.
Kejey *wink wink*
Kind of nostalgic. Made me miss my mother, well, sort of.
Xianne
Sep 18, 2015 Xianne added it
i didnt eaven see the bock
Hannah Poe
Jun 12, 2015 Hannah Poe rated it it was amazing
My favorite bedtime story
Kayla Whitlock
Feb 15, 2014 Kayla Whitlock rated it liked it
An okay prediction book.
Laura Verret
Dec 17, 2014 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
On a dark and stormy night on Plum Street, Mrs. Bear tries to put her cub, Sam to bed. But even after she tucks him in and gives him a glass of milk and read a book to him, he still claims that she’s forgotten something. But what could she have possibly forgotten? A good night kiss, of course!

Conclusion. Adorable.
Jackie
Sep 21, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snuggly, cuddly bedtime rituals come to life with fun, colorful illustrations in Kiss Good Night by Amy Hest and Anita Jeram. Mrs. Bear reads Sam a story (one which they both know all the words), tucks Sam in, brings him his favorite stuffed friends, share a glass of warm milk...yet she is forgetting one thing (or is she really forgetting or just stalling?). Kiss good night, first once, then twice, then twice more!

Use for /2009 Family Jammie Storytime.
Bradley Jones
Ccl Children's
Feb 05, 2013 Ccl Children's rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sweet, quiet story about the ritual of going to bed: a glass of milk, a bedtime story, and, most important, a good night kiss. It is charmingly illustrated by Anita Jeram, in bold colors and that are full of expression. It's a book as warm and cozy as being tucked in to bed at night. --ejh

Find it in our catalog: http://catalog.ccls.org/search~S1?/tK...
Ariel Cummins
Mar 06, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this playful picture book. As Sam and his mom get him ready for bed, he's waiting, waiting, waiting. For what? A kiss good night, of course!

I really enjoyed the crisp-ness of the colors in this title. The illustrations are in acrylic, but the primary colors and clear lines made the illustrations really fun and clear.

I would totally read this book at a story time about kisses!
Amy Pavlov
Jun 29, 2008 Amy Pavlov rated it it was amazing
This book was an early staple in my daughter's bedtime routine. We read it so often, that even now (two years later), I can recite it from memory.

It's a sweet story of a mother bear tucking her baby bear in for the night. Some people have complained that she offers milk to Sam Bear after he's brushed his teeth, but the story is larger than that.
Suzie
Mar 31, 2016 Suzie rated it it was amazing
Derek really liked this one and would quote it. Cute illustrations.
Heidi
A cozy bedtime book that is simple and sweet, and brings a smile at the end. A good choice for PJ storytime.

4/19/10 I think the children enjoyed the book. It was a teeny group(only two who were on the cognitive level), but the children sat still, liked the pictures, and snuggled more with their parents.
Gennie Hendrick
Jun 22, 2011 Gennie Hendrick rated it really liked it
This is a good book about bedtime rituals. Sam keeps saying that he is waiting for something and mom ants like she doesn't know what he wants. I think this would be a great opportunity to let the children make predictions about what Sam is waiting for him. The children would easily connect to this story.
Kathy Kernan
Aug 24, 2010 Kathy Kernan rated it it was amazing
I bought this book to read with my granddaughter when she was just a wee one. She is now eight years old and we still love to read it together at bed time. It is a nice big book with nice big "mama bear" illustrations that envelop you with all of the warmth of the "Goodnight Kiss".
Jami
Jan 24, 2009 Jami rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: childrens
A favorite bedtime story. A great book to calm down before bedtime with. We have been reading this book for at least 4 years, and I still get requests for it to be read from my 6 year old. I actually think we all have it memorized at this point!
Kristen
Snuggly and cozy, this picture book about bedtime on a dark and stormy night also works for a "small moments" lesson in writing. Compare this with another tuck-in story, "Tell Me the Day Backwards" by Albert Lamb and David McPhail.
Traca
Mar 06, 2008 Traca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My daughter loves this book and now we are sharing that love with little brother. A perfect read-aloud book filled with opportunity for whispered words, wind and rain noises, and shouts of "Again! Again!"
Sasha
Apr 26, 2010 Sasha rated it it was ok
Awesome book about a little bear who just can't go to sleep until him mom gives him one things that tonight she just can't remember? What do you think it is?

Great book for teaching about sequence.
  • Goodnight, Me
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Ten In The Den
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping
  • The Magic Hat
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Sleepyhead
Amy Hest is a three-time winner of the Christopher Medal and winner of the BOSTON GLOBE-HORN BOOK Award. She lives in New York City.
More about Amy Hest...