Start by marking “Kiss Good Night” as Want to Read:
Kiss Good Night

Kiss Good Night

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  809 ratings  ·  73 reviews
"The finale is so satisfying that it calls for an encore. 'Again!' Sam says, as will readers of this cozy story." - CHILD magazine
It was a dark and stormy night on Plum Street. In the little white house, Mrs. Bear was putting Sam to bed.
Outside, the wind blows and the rain comes down. Inside, it is Sam's
bedtime. Mrs. Bear reads him a story, tucks him in, and brings him w
Board Book, 32 pages
Published September 9th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Good Night

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
176th out of 1,307 books — 972 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteSeven Wonders Of The World by Anna OthitisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakNo, David! by David ShannonAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Books I Don't Mind Reading My Kids.....
259th out of 388 books — 362 voters

More lists with this book...

Candice
I read this to my 8-month-old granddaughter and we both loved it. When the mommy bear kisses Sam, I kissed Annabelle and she beamed. With that reaction, how could I give this book any less than 5 stars? It is a sweet book about bedtime rituals and there is lots of love between mother and son. The illustrations are colorful and homey and complete a perfect addition to a bedtime story collection.
Carly Wesley
Very simple plot about Bears routines before going to sleep. Mrs. Bear reads her child Sam a story, they both know the words to the book. She tucks Sam in and gets his favorite stuffed animals, a glass of warm milk. Sam says that she is missing something. She is missing a goodnight kiss or three!

This story is simple and easy to follow. It could be helpful for goodnight routines for little children younger than 3 years old. It is very predictable but a very sweet story.

The illustration are vibr
Jessica
Kiss Good Night is a book that every little child loves to read for bed time! The simple plot line and excellent pictures make this book a sure win! The front cover words and illustration make it easy for children to guess what Sam is looking for. Yet, even though its an easy guess its still just as exciting for them when you finally get to those last pages! The color choices for the illustrations are especially nice with the way the background and the words pop out. These colors make it easier ...more
Britteny Gilge
In one of my classes we talked about how different people have different rituals that they do before bedtime. Some do nothing, some get read a book, some get sang to sleep. In Kiss Good Night we are taken through Sam’s own ritual before bed. Sam is read to, tucked in bed with his stuffed animal friends, and then drank a glass of warm milk. After all this Sam was still not ready for bed because he was missing one thing. He finally receives the last part of his bed time routine and then is able to ...more
Maileigh
This book is read every night. It has a pleasant bedtime routine between mother and child with the addition of a stormy night. Other than the mother forgetting (or pretending to forget) to kiss her son goodnight before she leaves, there aren't any troubles or tantrums to work through.

Parents reading this book may have concerns over the lack of proper punctuation. There are times the story will use commas and conjunctions appropriately, but then there will be long run-on sentences that can confus
Lisa Fletcher
This is a favourite of my four month old. He loves it when the wind blows "Whoo, whooo!" and the rain splats.
Amanda
Jul 27, 2008 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Son picked at the library
I thought that the illistrations in this book were very nice. My son was convienced that Mrs. Bear was the daddy for some reason. I have to admit that it was a bear in a green sweater... pretty non descript pictures in general. When rating a childrens book if my son don't get the story from the pictures that hurts the score pretty badly. So, although they were attractive to look at they were not so thought provoking. In fact I don't think he asked a single question other than the daddy/mommy con ...more
Aprils
I enjoyed the illustrations. This would make a sweet bedtime book for children ages 0-4.
Kayla Whitlock
An okay prediction book.
Jackie
Snuggly, cuddly bedtime rituals come to life with fun, colorful illustrations in Kiss Good Night by Amy Hest and Anita Jeram. Mrs. Bear reads Sam a story (one which they both know all the words), tucks Sam in, brings him his favorite stuffed friends, share a glass of warm milk...yet she is forgetting one thing (or is she really forgetting or just stalling?). Kiss good night, first once, then twice, then twice more!

Use for /2009 Family Jammie Storytime.
Bradley Jones
Ccl Children's
This is a sweet, quiet story about the ritual of going to bed: a glass of milk, a bedtime story, and, most important, a good night kiss. It is charmingly illustrated by Anita Jeram, in bold colors and that are full of expression. It's a book as warm and cozy as being tucked in to bed at night. --ejh

Find it in our catalog: http://catalog.ccls.org/search~S1?/tK...
Ariel Cummins
I really enjoyed this playful picture book. As Sam and his mom get him ready for bed, he's waiting, waiting, waiting. For what? A kiss good night, of course!

I really enjoyed the crisp-ness of the colors in this title. The illustrations are in acrylic, but the primary colors and clear lines made the illustrations really fun and clear.

I would totally read this book at a story time about kisses!
Amy Pavlov
This book was an early staple in my daughter's bedtime routine. We read it so often, that even now (two years later), I can recite it from memory.

It's a sweet story of a mother bear tucking her baby bear in for the night. Some people have complained that she offers milk to Sam Bear after he's brushed his teeth, but the story is larger than that.
Heidi
A cozy bedtime book that is simple and sweet, and brings a smile at the end. A good choice for PJ storytime.

4/19/10 I think the children enjoyed the book. It was a teeny group(only two who were on the cognitive level), but the children sat still, liked the pictures, and snuggled more with their parents.
Gennie Hendrick
This is a good book about bedtime rituals. Sam keeps saying that he is waiting for something and mom ants like she doesn't know what he wants. I think this would be a great opportunity to let the children make predictions about what Sam is waiting for him. The children would easily connect to this story.
Kathy Kernan
I bought this book to read with my granddaughter when she was just a wee one. She is now eight years old and we still love to read it together at bed time. It is a nice big book with nice big "mama bear" illustrations that envelop you with all of the warmth of the "Goodnight Kiss".
Jami
Jan 24, 2009 Jami rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: childrens
A favorite bedtime story. A great book to calm down before bedtime with. We have been reading this book for at least 4 years, and I still get requests for it to be read from my 6 year old. I actually think we all have it memorized at this point!
Kris
Snuggly and cozy, this picture book about bedtime on a dark and stormy night also works for a "small moments" lesson in writing. Compare this with another tuck-in story, "Tell Me the Day Backwards" by Albert Lamb and David McPhail.
Traca
Mar 06, 2008 Traca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My daughter loves this book and now we are sharing that love with little brother. A perfect read-aloud book filled with opportunity for whispered words, wind and rain noises, and shouts of "Again! Again!"
Sasha
Awesome book about a little bear who just can't go to sleep until him mom gives him one things that tonight she just can't remember? What do you think it is?

Great book for teaching about sequence.
Laurie Monahan
Checked it out at the library, had to buy it. Something about the simple bed-time routine struck my fancy. Like to read it with sound effects. My kids actually liked 'Goodnight Little Bear' more.
Mo
Aug 08, 2007 Mo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: infants & toddlers
This book explores the various "going-to-bed" rituals but emphasizes the importance of the final ritual - the good-night kiss from mommy or daddy. A great bedtime story for your little one.
Kelsey
This is a cute book about a mom and baby while going to bed, but don’t forget a kiss good night. Sam tells his mom, “I’m waiting”. This is a good book to read before bedtime or naptime.
Cheryl
These "Sam" books were favorite bedtime stories when Atticus was very little. The art is just beautiful, and the simple melodic themes made us all want to drift into comfy sleep.
Cassandra
Apr 16, 2009 Cassandra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all toddlers
My toddler enjoys this book about a bedtime routine, where the most important part is momma's goodnight kiss. Very nice illustrations, 20-50 words on most pages.
Stephen
My 18 month old son loves this book! He wants me to read it to him at least once every night. Every time Mrs. Bear asks "Ready now, Sam?" my son replies "No!"
Becky (thorne)
This book is really sweet and good to read to a child that isn't incredibly comfortable with affection. I need to buy another copy we've read it so much.
Erika
This is one of my favorite books to read to our daughter at bedtime. It's a great little bedtime story about bedtime rituals between a wee one and his Momma.
Kelley
Grant and I always liked this as a bedtime story. It's a feel good book about a mother and her son. The repetition is good for young readers.
  • Ten In The Den
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • I Know a Rhino
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Dirty Bertie
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • The Magic Hat
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Penguin
Amy Hest is a three-time winner of the Christopher Medal and winner of the BOSTON GLOBE-HORN BOOK Award. She lives in New York City.
More about Amy Hest...
When Jessie Came Across the Sea Charley's First Night The Reader You Can Do It, Sam The Dog Who Belonged to No One