Start by marking “Ten Things I Hate about You” as Want to Read:
Ten Things I Hate about You

Ten Things I Hate about You

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  720 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A romantic comedy based on the classic Shakespeare play, The Taming of the Shrew, this book is a tie-in to the new teen movie starring Larisa Oleynik, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and teen idol Andrew Keegan.
Published June 1st 1999 by Scholastic

Star Trek II by Vonda N. McIntyreStar Wars, Episode IV by George LucasStar Wars, Episode V by Donald F. GlutStar Wars, Episode VI by James KahnClash of the Titans by Alan Dean Foster
Novelizations
8th out of 146 books — 26 voters
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHeist Society by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterPaper Towns by John Green
LeakyCon 2011 LitDay
32nd out of 80 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Melannie :)
Sep 03, 2012 Melannie :) marked it as to-read
... what the?!

The movie is based on a book?!
The book is by David Levithan?!

*ahhhhhhhhhhhhh*

MUST.READ.

I love you baaaaby, and if it's quite alright I need you baaaaby, to warm a lonely night
Kim Ciara
Shiku
I guess this book is only for big fans of the movie. Like, big big fans. Whose life is the movie. And the movie is their life.
Okay, maybe not in such a dramatic fashion, but if you don't know/love/like the movie, this book is quite boring. While the main story is nice and could be real fun, what we get here is short and superficial and ... just not really good. It's as if Levithan ticked off the different events of the movie without going into much detail and within a few pages you're presented
Book Angel Emma
Review by Steffi

10 Things I Hate About You is a movie based on the "Taming of the Shrew" written by William Shakespeare, and is a brilliant modern adaptation. Characters names are linked and I have to say when reading the play for the first time in college I found myself thinking back to the film to understand what was happening!

First of all...I absolutely love this film...like to the point I can repeat 3/4 of the film while its on, and it never fails to make me cry!

I had seen the film before I
Jean
Jul 08, 2008 Jean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jean by: the movie
I love it!!! But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.
Chiara (delicate eternity)
I know this is a movie novelisation but SERIOUSLY, it was like reading the movie. It was so cute.
Marsha
Jejeune and half-hearted, this short book is such a bare swipe at one of Shakespeare’s more problematic plays that you wonder why anybody bothered with it. The outcomes are so predictable, even without knowing Shakespeare’s original, that it’s hardly worth reading. Each chapter alternates with the thoughts of different characters but they don’t have much to say for themselves. Either the children are smirking caricatures with thudding attempts at wit or wallowing in their adolescent angst to the ...more
Mc
Jun 07, 2010 Mc marked it as to-read
i haven'tseen the whole movie because my dad won't let me, but i hope the book will tell me more than the movie could ever tell me!!!
Gelli Anne

Meet Bianca Stratford, the most wanted sophomore at Padua High. She's sweet and pretty and totally boy-crazy.

Meet Cameron James and Joey Donner. They're both totally crazy for Bianca. Which one has her heart? Alas, neither.

For there's a hitch to the stitch: Bianca's dad, who decrees, "No way."

Translation: No dating at least until Bianca's older sister starts going out.

Which means, pretty much never.

Meet Kat Stratford. She's Bianca's surly, sarcastic sister.She hates everyone - especially the "un

Nina (The Bookish Confections)
This is the only book that I was able to read during my Christmas vacation. Probably because it was really short like I finished it in one sitting.

The movie, 10 Things I Hate About You is absolutely my favorite movie or well, one of my favorites. I love the story, the characters and the plot itself. It's just so sweet and cute. In short, I totally love it despite the inconsistencies of some scenes.

The story is about two sisters, Kat and Bianca who have a strict father. Bianca can't date if Kat
Correna
This was so disappointing, David Leviathan has a poor grasp of the female characters! I know this is a scholastic book but the censoring was infuriating. I wanted to know more about the characters- maybe what I'm looking for is fanfiction. It's also really irritating that people think the book came first and '10 things' was David Leviathan's creation! It was not. The scriptwriters are two awesome women named Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith.
Brittany
Aug 01, 2014 Brittany marked it as to-read
Um...hello. I didn’t know this was a book before the movie!
Zannatul Orin
10 things I hate about you is a book also based on one of Shakespeare's famous play, The Taming of the Shrew.It is a romantic comedy book. Bianca Stratford is pretty and popular, but her strict family won't allow her to date until her older sister does: the problem is that sister Katharina is an outsider who tries to alienate any boy who might be interested in her. So Bianca's would-be boyfriend bribes fellow outsider Patrick to ask out Katharina, thinking that this sullen young man with a myste ...more
papalbina
I love the movie, but this adaptation even with David Levithan writing it and even with some extra lines added didn't live up to the expectations. Like other novelisations before it's poor and simple and mostly tells the same as the movie, when I was expecting some more stuff to complete the characters... The ending is too rush, even more than in the movie.

The good thing about reading the book, and that's why it has 3 stars, is that now I feel like watching the movie again :)
Stephen
Started as a bathroom read but I was impressed by how well this novelization-of-a-movie-based-on-a-play was done. It's actually a quick, fun, read in it's own right.

Not only does it convey the spirit of the movie which I enjoyed but it skillfully omits most of those cringeworthy parts that seemed to be required for teen movie viewing.

Besides... ya gotta love a Shakespeare inspired story that retains the phrase "mewling rampalian wretch!"
Rachel McQuoid
GREAT BOOK! i really love David Levithan, i cant wait to devour more of his books! im not usually into romance-y kind of lovey dovey stories but this was literally impossible not to not love! especially as i see A LOT of myself in Kat. oh and due to the fact that i saw the movie first when i read it i practically had the whole movie playing in my head, greeeeeeat read!
Ashley
This was a good book, but only because I've seen the movie. And this book was written based on the movie [not the other way around.:]
You probably won't like this book unless you've seen the movie, though. It sticks to the plot exact, with a few added details as far as the characters' thoughts. Only difference is that the author added more to the ending.
Zoe
I liked it a lot because I'm a huge fan of the movie. I didn't like how some parts were edited. There was inappropriate scenes in the movie that weren't in the book, probably because at the time it was published they were selling the book to kids. I liked it though. I may be a little biased because I love David Levithan.
Gilliann Ebreo
David Levithan has been one of my favorite authors, but I never ever imagined nor knew that he was the genius behind 10 things I hate about you--which is one of my most favorite movies, of all time.

And the last sentence was a complete run-on, but who cares. Spazzing right now. David Levithan, you are so awesome! Kudos! :-bd
Katie
4 Stars!
I absolutely LOVE the movie 10 Things I Hate About You so when I saw the book at the library I knew I had to read it!! The book is almost exactly the same as the movie which is perfectly fine by me! It was just like I watching the movie tonight as I read it and I fell in love with it all over again (:
Judith briuccia
I thought it was a funny book but at the same time sad. Because this girl like the boy and he like her but yet it was a bet to go out with her and she found out and she was a sad for a while.
Kiera Beddes
The biggest effect this book had was the fact that I went out to rent the movie as soon as I finished. The book gave a little more explanation for some characters actions, which was nice.
Patricia Karounos
I give this book a five because the entire time, I could literally see the movie play out in my head, and this made me really happy becuase I just love the movie so much.
Louise
Oct 22, 2011 Louise added it
Definitely a guilty pleasure read - saw the film again recently so had to track the book down. Nicely mirrors the movie but can't kid myself that it was aimed at my age group.
T.M. Carper
A quick, light read peppered with quotes from the movie and insight into the characters. Fans of the movie will enjoy a chance to re-live it through a different medium.
Airiz C
Jul 24, 2011 Airiz C marked it as to-read
So stoked to read this! Kind of disappointed when I saw this book is based on the movie, and NOT the source material...still I want to read it. :)
Kayleigh
It's a book that's written based off the movie.
So obv it's just like the movie.
If you like the movie you'll dig the book.
End of review.
Maysaloon Abu-Zaglan
i'm not a big fan of the romance stories in general but i found it fun and a little bit comedy ..
Enjoyed the movie more than the book .
Marilyn Alonzo
one of my fave movie! I didn't know that this book is written by David Levithan!!! really must read! :)
Raechella
Jan 09, 2013 Raechella marked it as to-read
Stoked to find out that the movie was actually based from a book! Must have a copy soon. :)
  • The Matrix
  • Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  • Mona Lisa Smile
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Tangled (Disney Tangled)
  • Ever After: A Cinderella Story
  • The Tyrant Falls in Love, Volume 7
  • Up All Night: A Short Story Collection
  • Let Dai, Volume 02
  • The Social Network - screenplay
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

More about David Levithan...
Will Grayson, Will Grayson Every Day (Every Day #1) Boy Meets Boy The Lover's Dictionary Two Boys Kissing

“I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.” 88 likes
“Teachers are wonderful beings who inspire the spirit and open the mind.

Nobody at Padua High School fits that description.”
3 likes