Adventures of the Wishing Chair

Adventures of the Wishing Chair (Wishing Chair #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  3,028 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Once Mollie and Peter have discovered the Wishing-Chair, their lives are full of adventure. It takes them to all sorts of magical places, from the giant's castle where they rescue Chinky the Pixie, to the amazing party at Magician Greatheart's castle.
Hardcover
Published 2001 by Hinkler Books, Australia (first published 1937)

Socialbookshelves.com
It's no Faraway Tree book, but the Adventures of the Wishing Chair is a delightful read and one which parents will enjoy just as much as children. In it, two children (Mollie and Peter) discover a magical wishing chair in a mysterious antiques shop - it has the ability to grow wings and fly, and it does so to take them home from the shop.

Of course, Blyton sprinkles in characteristically weird names, too - 'Chinky' the pixie, for example. I mean, is that deliberately racist? The book was first pu...more
Indah W
Woohhoo.. I finally back on Enid Blyton again.. and I gotta say that I'm amazed by her imagination.. she had written sooo many fantasy stories and at times you got a different taste from one story to another and I think it's haaarrdd to do that, hahaha..

I still have 2 more books of this series to read and I'm excited about that one..

Ohh ohh.. I'm wondering where will Peter, Mollie & Chinky have the next adventure with their wishing chair?

And how I wish I had one as well! Wakakakakak :p
David Sarkies
The fantastic imagination of the little child
(19 March 2012)

This appears to have been written earlier than the Faraway Tree series and Blyton's style in this book seems to be quite different as well. Where the Faraway Tree had stories that covered multiple chapters the Wishing Chair has about one adventure per chapter with the exception of two, one takes up two chapters and the grand finale takes up three. Also, where the adult world occasionally intruded into the world of the Faraway Tree, in...more
Francoist
Scott
Two siblings, Mollie and Peter, have numerous adventures on a magical chair.

They fly to magical lands, meeting giants, wizards and pixies.

Since the edition I own is a reprint of one first published in 1937, I imagine that later editions will have had many elements rewritten.

For one thing, the language is dated. Children today no longer use words like 'horrid' to describe things that they don't like.
Hope
I have so many great memories about the Wishing Chair series and many of Enid Blyton's other books. I loved the fantasy world where pixies and gnomes and little magical people where around every corner. I see a lot of the Harry Potter series in the Wishing Chair and wouldn't be surprised if Rowling read a lot of Blyton when she was younger.
Tagra
I remember being bored and digging up some dusty hardcover books out of somewhere, and this was one of them. I absolutely loved these stories, and I can still remember how exciting it was to read the description of the wings budding out of the legs of the chair as the kids figured out how to work it.
Julie
I was enthralled with this book as a child. Enid Blyton was despised by parents & teachers as her use of language was considered incorrect & a bad influence on children. However, we children adored Enid Blyton! She was our savior from chores & general boredom. We escaped through her imagination!
Melisa
I have enjoyed reading this book as I child. I still keep my old copy. This book is very entertaining and suitable for all ages.
My father read this to me as a little girl and now I have read it to my boys. My youngest (6 yrs old) really enjoyed them :)
Priscilla Ong
Another one of my favourites that transformed many of my boring afternoons into ones filled with amazing adventures!
Andrew
The kids really enjoyed this on and couldn't wait to get their hands on the next. Enid Blyton magic!
Godzilla
My young daughter loved it, even though it does feel dated and slighlty out of kilter with the modern world
Marie
This was the book that I adored when I was a kid. My imagination played around so much because of this.
Loppy
I used to adore this when I was a child and re-read it over and over again! :D
Liz
Lived this book as a child. Looking forward to reading it to my kids.
Sashi
OOOOH I forgot the wishing chair series. What fun!
KRaKen
a very imaginative book I read when I was little ;)
Sian Taylor
Great imaginative books for children

Jacki
An obvious move on from the Faraway Tree.
Jessiiica
one of my favourite childhood books. a classic.
Claire
By far my favourite childhood book. Memory lane.
Kimberment
A childhood favorite!
Nitika Bhasin
my favorite book as a kid
Joanne Parkins
very good and enjoyable.
Elizabeth
my childhood. the end
Somerandom
Miss Enid Blyton seems to have a rather bad reputation as a writer. This surprised me immensely.
I grew up watching the many TV adaptations of her works and they seemed rather harmless to me. Obviously they had been censored and "cleaned up" but even still. They were charming, simple but endearing and had a rather magical feel about them.

People seem to think that using simple English is talking down to children or having a rather simplistic story line is somehow patronizing to kids. Which seems...more
Jamie
[b] The Adventures Of The Wishing Chair / The Wishing Chair Again / More Wishing Chair Stories [/b] Enid Blyton

four stars

Mollie and Peter Find an old change in a strange little shop. The chair sprouts wings from time to time and take the children and their friend Chinky the Pixie on magical adventures.

I was a big fan of these stories as a child, it was fun for me to re-read them and although they are a bit dated, I'm pretty sure little kids still like pixies and stuff :)
Katie
This book was my all-time favourite as a child! I took it everywhere with me.. Stayed up late the night before school so I could finish it. I was devastated when I had completed it. By far my best childhood book. 20 years on I still have it, special :)
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Blinky Bill
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • Secrets at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #11)
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • Bill's New Frock
  • Just Annoying
  • Who Sank the Boat?
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • Please Mrs Butler
  • Wombat Stew
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • The Chalet School and Jo (The Chalet School, #7)
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to editor Hugh Pollock, with whom she had tw...more
More about Enid Blyton...
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)