Start by marking “How to Eat” as Want to Read:
How to Eat

How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Eating is a chance to return to the present moment.

How to Eat is the second in Parallax’s series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. These friendly, pocket-sized books contain several delightful illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, and are appropriate for those practicing in any spiritual tradition and all levels of familiarity with mindfulness practice.

How to Eat
Published July 2nd 2014 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Eat

Sian Lile-Pastore
Well, I continue to crush on Thich Nhat Hanh, have you seen him in his little woolly hat? cer-ute!
This is a lovely little book, which you could pop in your pocket and then take out and read something inspiring whenever needed.
It's all about mindfulness and mindful eating, it's about taking your time when you eat and appreciating your food. Also, 'Your body is not yours. It is a gift and a responsibility.' which made me feel a little guilty as my body likes wine and is a little chubby....
I am a huge fan of Thich Nhat Hanh. His latest book, "How to eat," reminds me how important mindful eating is:

Eating is "a chance to return to the present moment and stop the rushing and the planning."

Eating is also "a chance to nourish our bodies and know that we are not destroying the Earth by doing so."

Basically I feel grateful before eating but easily forget to bei grateful after eating.

From now on, I will spend a moment being grateful for the food I had!
Kris Springer
Titled "How to Eat," this book might have been titled "How to Live." Thich Nhat Hanh's book helps the reader to focus on now--on the peach one is eating, on the beauty of its existence and ours. Peace and respect for our food, our earth and ourselves is essential. A gem that I will revisit, I'm sure.
Fred Kohn
This short little book can be knocked out in an hour or less, but that's not the proper way to read it! I read a few meditations at a time, set the book down, and then read a few more. Some of the verses/prayers towards the end I wrote down in my notes, but I am definitely considering picking up this gem for my personal library.
Sean Goh
p.13: Waiting without waiting: Waiting for our time to eat, be it in a queue or in a restaurant, we can be grateful for the imminent opportunity to sate our appetites and savour our nourishment.

p.39: Turning off the radio (of non-stop thoughts): To eat without thinking is to eat in freedom. Freedom to enjoy the present moment.

p.54: A silent meal. Company optional.

p.72: Mindful conversation at mealtime: Conversations at mealtimes should focus one's attention on the objects in front of oneself. Th
Robert Parks Johnson
This simple little book is a guide to the mindful practice of eating.

With just a little bit of mindfulness, you can truly see where your bread comes from... Bread comes from the wheat fields, from hard work, and from the baker, the supplier, and the seller. But... the wheat field needs clouds and sunshine. so, in this slice of bread there is sunshine, there is cloud, there is the labor of the farmer, the joy of having flour, and the skill of the baker... The whole cosmos has Come together so th
Emily Carlin
Thich Nhat Hanh has written elsewhere: "We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living." This slim volume is a lighthearted reminder that any activity can be sacred in a way (eating being one example that happens nearly ever day). IDK about saying what's "healthy" / not for other people, but I feel like I could argue that taking what this book says to heart is healthy for anyone/everyone.

One thing that caught for me after reading this is being mindful while drinking tea. I d
The second in this Buddhist's series about how to do apparently simple things mindfully. I got the most out of this one, in the sense that I was least worried about my ability to eat -- I seem to be able to do that just fine -- but of course it turns out that there's a whole chain of being associated with eating, and it's beautiful to think about that. When you eat. I'm working on it. The temptation to put on a movie and zone out while eating my beautiful chain of being food is still strong.
Jacqueline Hager-Bodnar
Fabulous book! I loved this book. It is written in a way that is short, sweet, and to the point. It keeps you going. A lot of great information that will make you think is packed into this short book. Thich Nhat Hanh does it again... another wonderful book that will help you grow as a person. Loved it!
Rick Yvanovich
I was not sure what to expect from this book. I had never thought of the majority of perspectives about eating that were revealed. It has now transformed the way I think, imagine and experience eating. How much it will enhance the pleasure of eating or affect foods taste I can't wait to discover!
Trey Nowell
This book definitely made me stop and think how rushed as people we are. We rarely take the time to think about anything we eat, what all went into how it was made, the sweat and pain behind making it, etc. We all need time to sit back and enjoy what is in the moment.
I love everything by Hahn but I honestly don't have time to contemplate the sky and earth when I am eating. maybe one day I will have the luxury to have nothing better to do with my time, but for now I'd rather read Hahn's other books.
Very thoughtful and mind full book about how we eat and pay attention to the experience of eating and sharing that time with other, or how we don't do that. It is a good teaching moment.
A great lesson on living in the moment and enjoying. Should be applied to all aspects of day to day life.
Austin Wright
Non-violent vegetarian Buddhist who has been political for 50+ years...

Sunyaka = "empty" in Sanskrit.
Sharon Wildwind
This is a wonderful book to have close by wherever you eat. My husband and I have started having 5 minutes of silence at the beginning of each meal. Even that small quiet time has made a difference in our meal time and in our appreciation of the food we're eating.
There is so much in this little book. I wish more people would learn how to be mindful.
Some nice insights, but not as rich as some of his other books.
Maria Lucia Seidl de Moura
Mais um pequeno grande livro de meu monge favorito.
Christopher Spiewak
This is a lovely little treasure!
Quick but very worthy read.
Austin Wright
It is interesting reading Hanh's work en masse.

Certain details, which he will mention every book, begin to seep how the Buddha sat under a Bodhi tree which is cognate with the word Bodhisattva [an enlightenment (bodhi) being (sattva)].

Short sweet tells you how to eat. Mindfully.
Wonderful little book that reminds me to slow down, enjoy and be thankful.
Pat Edwards
Excellent for aware eating (breathing, living, etc.) I am keeping a copy on my desk at work, where I really tend to snarf lunch rather than take the break I'm given.
A Yusuf
Important advice that one could print out and put up anywhere to always be conscious of.
But it seemed a little repetitive to have the same essential message drive through all the 100 pages in the book, though having said that, it's probably because of how the author wanted to drive home a singular point.
Fiction State Of Mind
A gorgeous meditation on slowing down wbile eating as well as the energy behind our eating patterns. A short but meanibgful read
Booktea marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • UnDiet: Break All the Rules, Have Tons of Fun, and Cleanse the Clutter for an Abundantly Vibrant Life
  • Eating: A memoir
  • Return on Character: The Real Reason Leaders and Their Companies Win
  • Begin with Yes: A Short Conversation That Will Change Your Life Forever
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Isn't It Obvious?
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • Notes on Cooking: A Short Guide to an Essential Craft
  • The Wisdom of Tuscany: Simplicity, Security & the Good Life - Making the Tuscan Lifestyle Your Own
  • The Power of Habit: be Efficient in Everything you do
  • Motivation (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
  • The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • Beyond measure: the big impact of small changes
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...

Mindfulness Essentials (4 books)
  • How to Sit
  • How to Love
  • How to Walk
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“In modern life, people tend to think their bodies belong to them, that they can do anything they want to themselves. But your body is not only yours. Your body belongs to your ancestors, your parents, and future generations. It also belongs to society and to all the other living beings. The trees, the clouds, the soil, and every living thing brought about the presence of your body. We can eat with care, knowing we are caretakers of our bodies, rather than their owners.” 0 likes
“Don’t chew your worries, your fear, or your anger. If you chew your planning and your anxiety, it’s difficult to feel grateful for each piece of food. Just chew your food.” 0 likes