Start by marking “When Answers Aren't Enough: Experiencing God as Good When Life Isn't” as Want to Read:
When Answers Aren't Enough: Experiencing God as Good When Life Isn't

When Answers Aren't Enough: Experiencing God as Good When Life Isn't

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
On April 16, 2007, the campus of Virginia Tech experienced a collective nightmare when thirty-three students were killed in the worst massacre in modern U.S. history. Following that horrendous event, Virginia Tech campus pastor Matt Rogers found himself asking and being asked, 'Where is God in all of this?' The cliche-ridden, pat answers rang hollow.In this book, Matt appr ...more
Published March 30th 2008 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about When Answers Aren't Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Answers Aren't Enough

booklady
A simple premise actually, When Answers Aren't Enough, Experiencing God as Good When Life Isn't speaks to our longing for God, who is really what we want in the midst of Life's greatest tragedies.

This is the book I wanted when my brother died and many times since. Matt Rogers was the young co-pastor of a church at Virginia Tech when thirty-three students and teachers died in the worst massacre in modern US history. In WAAE he writes about his experiences, thoughts, feelings and how he went about
Robert
Matt Rogers, copastor of New Life Christian Fellowship at Virginia Tech, takes us through his own personal reflections and experiences that started the day of April 16th, 2007. The Virgina Tech tragedy IS still remembered and WILL never be forgotten. Thirty-two innocent people lost their lives that day before the shooter turned the gun on himself and took his own life. When mass losses of life like this happen, as with Sept 11th, 2001 and in other tragic events throughout the world, we all begin ...more
Margaret
Sep 14, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST
When Answers Aren't Enough is a work of deep expression and emotions put onto paper for all to see straight from the heart of Matt Rogers. Through this book, Matt was able to retell what it was like to be part of the Virgina Tech family during their extreme loss, but it goes well beyond that as well. He delves into many different examples of tragedy where people have screamed, "There is no God! He would not let this happen, if there was", and takes the reader past dwelling on the questions.

Trul
Rhonda
Rhonda's Review: Working through grief is a very traumatic emotional experience. Matt Rogers documents his personal grieving process after the Virginia Tech massacres. This profound tragedy sends him searching for answers to the hard questions.

Mr. Rogers does a fantastic job of putting the grieving process into prospective. He does this without alienating the reader’s feelings. This may be a bit heavy for a beach read, but I definitely recommend it to anyone working through a loss.

If you'd lik
jayne
I read this the whole way home from LT in North Carolina where'd we had just spent half the summer in 2008. I cried through almost the whole book. And since the author himself was part of the LT program, I texted him a number of times telling him how he was making me cry. It's not often you get to do that while reading a book! I already have a book report here. God reminds me most often from that book that the world is broken and not at all how he intended it to be.
Katie W
Unbelievable/amazing, this book was well-written and thought provoking. It transformed the way I think about death especially but also life, and it inspired me to renew my anticipation of heaven.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Jan 22, 2015
Suzie
Suzie marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Steven Marinez
Steven Marinez marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Latisha Butler
Latisha Butler marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Art Caylor
Art Caylor marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Susan Robertson
Susan Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2013
Tal
Tal marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Matt Rogers grew up in Gastonia, North Carolina, a bit to the west of Charlotte. He graduated from Campbell University in 1999, then moved to Blacksburg, Virginia, home of the Virginia Tech Hokies. He lives and works there still. Matt lost his diploma in the move to Virginia and has never seen it since. He promises he did graduate with a Communication degree.

After a few years as a radio announcer
More about Matt Rogers...
Losing God: Clinging to Faith Through Doubt and Depression The Wolves of Third Clan Seven Arrows: Aiming Bible Readers in the Right Direction Of Superior Design (Superior Beings) The Little Balloon

“I must look for the Lord's reflection in the sea; otherwise all I see is water.” 3 likes
“The choice is ours to hear the echoes, to heed the call: when life isn't good, taste and see that the Lord is.” 3 likes