Start by marking “Light of Christmas” as Want to Read:
Light of Christmas

Light of Christmas

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  32 reviews
High in the mountains lies the town of Noel, surrounded by beautiful white walls and a great silver gate. Every year Alexander and his mother walk the long distance to Noel to watch the lighting of the village Christmas tree. This year Alexander learns that the Keeper of the Flame will choose the person who has given the truest gift of Christmas to light the flame. On his ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Light of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light of Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
428th out of 697 books — 948 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Books With Boys on Cover
186th out of 240 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
Ok..so it took me all of 10 minutes to read..but I LOVED IT and cannot wait
to get a copy for my grandchildren..wonderful simple message
S. Todd Strader
"In your hurry to keep Christmas, you have forgotten Christmas." This is one of those entertain angles unaware stories that I love so much. Set high in the mountains in a mysterious Christmas Town known as Noel, this is the story of a young boy, Alexander, who shares what little he has with a stranger in need. He confronts a decision to have his desire or sacrifice it to do the right thing. It is a timeless never worn theme that is wonderfully Christmas wrapped in this telling.

I liked the illumi
Patti
For my goodreads friends that have kids…

Among my All-Time Favorite ‘Spirit of Christmas’ books are: “Christmas Tapestry” by Patricia Polacco; “The Carpenter’s Gift” by David Rubel; and “The Light of Christmas” by Richard Paul Evans. All are priceless in terms of teaching beautifully that giving IS the true spirit of Christmas. And absolutely appropriate for ANY age that needs such an important reminder.

I have read “Light of Christmas” to classes 3rd-5th grade, a group of adult women, and would n
Linda Lipko
A small boy leaves his mother to visit the town of Noel to observe the lighting of the village Christmas tree. Traveling many miles on foot, he is weary. As he approaches the town, he finds a man, freezing in the cold with little protective cover.

Knowing he will be late, and the gates will be closed, still, he helps the stranger. When he does arrive at the village, his mission is to find help and, while he is distraught at not seeing the celebration, his mandate is to get assistance.

The door is
Josiah
"In your hurry to keep Christmas, you have forgotten Christmas. The truest gift of Christmas is the gift of self. The flame of Christmas must first burn from within."

—From Light of Christmas by Richard Paul Evans

Breathtaking illustrations and a gentle, sincere story are ideal companions in this holiday picture book that urges readers to rest their ambition for a spell and see if something more rewarding than money, fame or success may be patiently waiting for them to take hold of it. Even a s
Erica Rhodes
This book is really a beautifully crafted story. Between the wonderful illustrations and the wonderful (if not predictable) story, the book captivated my whole family. I couldn't help but be in tears by the end of it.

The story is a fairly predictable one of a child that is on his way to the Christmas celebration, yet runs across a person in need of help. In this case it's a sick and weary old man. As the boy passed by he gave his extra cloak to the man even though it could mean he would be cold
Nevada Libert
great book! about a poor boy who is going to see the lighting of christmas, and hears that who ever gives the nicest gift will get to be the lighter of christmas the boy gives the best gifts and is the lighter of christmas.

WILL READ AGAIN!
Susan
Sometimes the best gift of all is the one of your time and your self. At least that is what young Alexander learns in this beautifully illustrated book about the Christmas flame.
Jen
Evans seems to always speak to me. I am not sure Tate fully grasped this story, but once again I was in tears by the end. What is it - I must be hormonal lately, all these children books are making me weepy. Nevertheless, this sweet tale is too good not to own, so I put it in my cart at Amazon. Moreover, proceeds from all his books are donated to The Christmas Box House Int - an organization helping abused and neglected children - it is a win-win!
Ryan Treaster
This book is a wonderful book for children of all ages. It really gets across the point of christmas as well as relays to children to always do the right thing and you may end up being rewarded.

Reading Level- Transitional

Curricular Use- Read aloud

Social Issues - The importance of helping others
Judith
This book shows how blind we can be. I never liked competeing because I don't like loosing and I always think I'll lose so I don't go for it. In this case we know the boy will win and it helps us to see the LIGHT in more ways then one. A Children's book
Rosa Cline
Very touching, moving Christmas story about the true 'keeping Christmas' in your heart message. Illustrations are wonderful as well. Would make a great story to read to families of any ages near the holiday season.
Teri
As we rush around during the Christmas season, we need to take time to slow down a bit, and see who might need our assistance. A great story that illustrates this thought.
Cindi
A somewhat typical storyline with brilliant illustrations. It was a good story, though, about the true meaning of Christmas. Do what Christ would do for others!
Dawn
Jan 01, 2014 Dawn added it
wonderful book !
Becky
This is a classic Christmas Book for the whole family. Want to read every year with our family. Beautiful illustrations, too.
M.
This one is a little long for younger children but for kids second grade and above it is a good length and story.
Kierstin
Beautiful illustrations, sweet simple story and characters. My children and I enjoyed it very much.
Teri
We REALLY liked this one. Beautiful illustrations and a good story about learning to give of yourself.
Karen
Great Christmas message in the passage speaking about giving the gift of self.
Annette
Dec 30, 2008 Annette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read about the true meaning of Christmas
Beautiful message and beautiful illustrations! Perfect for Evans fans of all ages!
Kenny
I loved the comment from the book, "The truest gift of Christmas is the gift of self."
Sydney Drinkwater
Quote from book: "The truest gift of Christmas is the gift of self." Is it?
Tammy
This one had me crying by the end. Beautiful in depth illustrations, also!!
Trish
This is a little kids book about the true meaning of giving.
Beth Stevens
Great children's Christmas story and wonderful paintings.
Karen Hartshorn
A sweet Christmas story with great pictures.
Melanie
Beautiful- the story and illustrations!
Jenna
Excellent. True meaning of Christmas.
Jodi
beautiful Christmas story
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Santa Calls
  • Auntie Claus
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Christmas Oranges
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...
The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1) The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1) The Walk (The Walk, #1) Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2) The Locket (The Locket Trilogy #1)

“In your hurry to keep Christmas, you have forgotten Christmas. The truest gift of Christmas is the gift of self.” 10 likes