Start by marking “The Christmas Candle” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Candle

The Christmas Candle

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  882 ratings  ·  53 reviews

The young man soon realizes that the old man meant, as t
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Candle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Candle

If it wasn't for my dad, I wouldn't have read this book. You see, my teacher wanted me to pick out a picture book for class on Monday. Of course, I forgot all about this assignment. At the last second, as I was getting ready for school my dad quickly picked this up and said, "Here, I just picked this up at a library sale. " MY teacher was impressed with he book. Finally, another assignment came (you can see the torture my teacher gives us). She said that we had to write about the lesson or messa ...more
SUMMARY: On a dark, snowy Christmas Eve, a young man hurrying home for a family celebration enters a chandler's shop to buy a candle for his lantern. He scoffs at the beautifully sculpted creations of the old chandler and instead purchases a simple, inexpensive Christmas candle that the chandler warns him he may find costly. As he meets people on the way home, he learns many lessons that will teach him the true meaning of Christmas.

REVIEW: I have not read a Richard Paul Evans book yet that did n
The Christmas Candle was teaching a moral through story. Another retold Scrooge tale, Thomas was mean to the candlemaker, demanding a light and not to waste his money. The candlemaker sells him a special candle that proceeds to teach him the lessons loving others. Throughout the story William grows and has a change of heart. It is a beautiful message of caring for others since we are all "brothers and sisters" as a community.
Each and every single one of us are literally brothers and sisters under God our Heavenly Father. This book helps us remember that the individuals on the street mean a lot more to us that we might have originally thought they did. A beautiful story with beautiful art work. I highly recommend reading this! It proves a good reminder and a good read for any season of the year.
Thomas was in for a surprise after visiting the town candle maker during this Christmas season. When faced with those in need, would he meet the need or ignore it and go on to his own home and family for his own plans? Beautifully illustrated, this book makes you ponder as you come to realize that everyone really is part of one big family.
I read this to my five-year-old and he was disinterested and staring at the ceiling! I personally loved the story, but the artwork is too dark and eerie for children. I wish the author had artwork that would appeal to children so that they might understand the message as well. It's essentially a picture book for adults only.
A creepy, Christmas story that will not appeal to kids, with its dark, foreboding illustrations and hard-to-find message. Not sure what audience this picture book is intended for, but certainly not the littlest of readers.
Morgan Kaiser
This is a fun holiday book to read before Christmas. It is about a young rude and selfish man who buys a Christmas candle from a kind old candle maker. The young man is in for a surprise though when he discovers that the Christmas candle tricks him into giving to others he thinks are family members but are really just strangers in need. This book really conveys the message to the reader that it is better to give than to receive.
Megan Alton
The message of this story is beautiful. The book is not really a children's book, it is very serious and the artwork is very dark.
Melissa McLees
This book was very enlightening and truthful. It was a fast read of course since it was an easy book, but the story plot was very good. Food for the heart that we do need to see each other as family, and that if you see that person in need that we do need to find some way of helping each other out. Even if it is not very much, the ideas of helping where needed is good. In today's time we really do need to keep that in mind each day.
"If we all see things as they truly are, we will find that all", from great to small, belong to one family."
The illustrations are really beautiful. The book was given to me by parents many years ago.
Shauna Thompson
Makes you think what is important. It's also one of my favorite Christmas Stories
Jill Zwicke
I have most of his books and reread and share often. Good stories, easy to share.
dark, mysterious, and kind of creepy
will not be reading this to the kids -- it's an adult book
Beautiful illustrations similar to Dean Morrisey.
We all know by now that Richard Paul Evans is a MUST read for me at Christmas . When I was returning my this year's " Evans " to the library ( which was Finding Noel, by the way ) , Library Angie and I began discussing what a great writer Mr. Evans is . She recommended this darling childrens book by him to me and I ran downstairs to the little folks department and grabbed it up . It is a fabulous story with a Christmas perfect lesson and the artwork is some of the best I have seen . Give yourse ...more
Our favorite Christmas story!
Children stories
I'm sorry, this review is going to be ugly. I'm sorry if you love Richard Paul Evans. I don't. I was turned off by the fact that the main character was painted to look like him, and it just felt way too self-important. The story is okay, the illustrations are good...I don't know what it is about his books that just feel way too artificial and forced for me. The one redeeming quality was that Matthew heard he wrote it while staying at the RV resort we like to go to in Coalville!
I liked this story a lot. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that it seemed a little rough around the edges to me, in need of some judicious polishing or editing. I got the feeling that it was a bit of a rush job. Nonetheless, the story was well-conceived, touching, and thought-provoking. It is oriented to children, but with crossover appeal to the rest of us.

Shout out to Kirsten...thanks for the party and for letting me snoop in your books!
This is a story of the nature of giving and compassion. The main character is heading home when his candle runs out so he goes to a chandler who gives him a Christmas candle. The Christmas candle makes him see every beggar as a close family member instead of a stranger and he shows them great kindness, whereas he wouldn't do the same for a stranger. Really nicely done story.
Tanya W
I'm glad I was read this book before I knew that it was the same author as the Christmas Box (which I didn't like at all). So I guess an author can have both poor and great books. The message in this book is powerful... that everyone is our brother/sister and that the suffering around us should not go unnoticed. This is a keeper.
It was OK, but nothing to write home about. So much more could have been done with the story. It's comparable to the myriad of email stories that come out at Christmastime about one miracle or another that touches the heart.

The illustrations, though, are incredible. If not for this, I'd have only given the book 2 stars.
A story of Thomas who is trying to make his way home but stops to buy a candle which the candle maker tells him he will find costly. Thomas pays for the candle and continues his journey only to encounter many people along the way who help to change Thomas' greedy heart.
Meg McGregor
I love reading Richard Paul Evans but was sorely disappointed by this book. I agree that the message is wonderful but the illustrations are NOT good and the story needs to be refined!

I didn't really care about the characters at all and that is why I gave this only one star.
Even though I have categorized this as a children's book, I would use caution about how young your child is when reading it. It is not your typical happy Christmas story. It teaches a valuable lesson about helping others, but in a rather grim way.
Children's book. Man buys candles on his way home for Christmas. On his way home he lights the candle and see his mother as a poor beggar and his brother laying ill on the ground. The book is a fable showing how we are all connected to each other.

A simple yet powerful story to teach children about the importance of loving and serving everyone. I like that it still contains the classic Rchard Paul Evans feel while being in the grasp of children in its simplicity.
I get teary-eyed when I read this book, but I think it goes a bit of the heads of my 4 and 5 year olds. The message is an excellent one, but not very accessible for young children. Perhaps as they get older, we will enjoy this book more.
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Santa Calls
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • Great Joy
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...