Start by marking “Elf on the Shelf (The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Elf on the Shelf (The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition, Volume 1)

Elf on the Shelf (The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition, Volume 1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  428 ratings  ·  84 reviews
How does Santa really know who is naughty or nice? The answer is finally revealed in...The Elf on the Shelf A Christmas Tradition.TM

The Elf on the Shelf A Christmas TraditionTM is an activity the entire family will enjoy. Based on the tradition Carol Aebersold began with her family in the 1970s, this cleverly rhymed childrens book explains that Santa knows who is naughty a...more
Published September 28th 2007 by CCA and B, LLC (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Elf on the Shelf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elf on the Shelf

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGoblinheart by Brett AxelGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr. SeussThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
I'm Pretty Old to be Lovin This
37th out of 121 books — 18 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Great Kiddie Books
106th out of 113 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jordan
Nov 02, 2013 Jordan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Book-burners
Two things:

1. The Elf follows you everywhere. Everywhere. The little darling reports on your every move to the Big Red Guy, akin to McCarthy-era witch hunts or modern-day N.S.A. tactics. I can't think of a faster way to give your child a complex than to break this stinker out year after year.

2. I cannot support the idea of extrinsic motivations for moral development. If children are being decent, kind, generous citizens just because a tiny humanoid is watching their every move, then they're not...more
Sheri Radford
Am I the only one who thought that this book was poorly written and that the central concept was kind of creepy? Shouldn't kids be taught to do good for the sake of doing good, not because a creepy elf is spying on them and reporting back to Santa all the time? Also, the rhyming was forced and awful.
Delicious Strawberry
I heard of this last year via a relative who was talking about how her co-worker had bought this for their household. She explained the basic gist of the elf on the shelf, and I found it creepy.

I decided to investigate further, since the relative did not mention there was a book to go along with it. After seeing what the book is about and the 'rules' regarding the elf and how you are supposed to use it, I am creeped out even more. We teach our kids that lying is bad, and it's bad enough to lie t...more
Amy Carr
Every year on December 1st our family opens a new Christmas book to add to our collection. This year it was Elf on the Shelf...and it was received with very mixed reactions. One child thought the elf was extremely creepy and didn't want it sitting around the house, another child spent the evening examining the little elf doll and wondering how it could fly and what would happen if it got wet and what if a bird ate it, and the last child was indifferent about the whole thing. The actual writing i...more
Michelle
Just spent way too much money on this little elf for my daughter. Tried to get her the plush one that comes without the book, but was informed that since kids are touching the elf on the box, that it simply will not work, if you touch the elf she loses her magic. Sooooo, I had to spend double on the cheaper made elf that comes with a book. Reguardless of how upset I am at the price of this cheap toy & book.... It has absolutely made my daughter's Christmas! Not having one was going to ruin h...more
Carol
I really wanted to like this book, however I found the humor somewhat snarky where I would have preferred either laugh out loud funny / inappropriate or charming. I'm not sure I would read this book a second time.
Lionel
Finally! 1 night left. Running out of places to hide this Elf :)
Habrewer
Elf on the Shelf™ by Carol Aebersold
*This book is part of my personal library*

Elf on the Shelf is a book the whole family will enjoy. Each set comes with a book and a cute little Elf. Each Elf will gain his magic once he/she has been given a name. The names are as individual as the kids that the elves belong too and naming them is half the fun.

Each night the elves travel home to the North Pole so they can report in to Santa. Will their child be on the naughty or nice list? With the help of their...more
Lyndsay
The story itself is not that good. However, the little elf doll that comes with it making some awesome memories. My 4 year old niece sings and talks to herself all the time. (she is an only child with a huge imagination). The other day I just though she was just playing around and when i walked into the liveing room she was in deep negotiations with the elf. She asked me if she had been good. i asked her had she been.
"no aunt lyndsay I haven't. But shhh. I don't want the elf to tell santa."
She...more
Emily Madill
This Amazing book is a must buy for your family this holiday season. We received the book set (comes complete with an adorable elf) last year. The whole premise is that Santa sends each family around the world a special elf that helps him with the large task of keeping track of who has been naughty and nice. The family elf then flies to the North Pole to report back to Santa each and every night about what he saw and heard during the day. When you first open the book set, you get to to name the...more
Jessica
My boyfriend got this book for us. I had never seen it before. I'd seen one of the little toys, but only in an episode of The League and didn't know this was an actual thing or that there was a book that went with the toy. I may be a sentimental fool, but we read the book and I cried. And for the next several days our elf mysteriously moved around our apartment.
Robert
Dec 06, 2010 Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: Erin Garton
Shelves: christmas, rhyme, own
Jill
I heard a lot of my friends talking about this book and was interested. It seemed a bit high in price to me, but we used a coupon and a gift card which made it seem more reasonable. My children loved the story and got so into it. We purchased it yesterday and this morning they were so excited to come downstairs to find Elfie (our current name, we haven't decided for sure so I am waiting to record it in the book). It helped a bit with some behavior and fighting issues. Although the illustrations...more
This was our first year with an Elf on the Shelf. The idea is that you purchase the book and elf together. When you read the book Santa magically knows you want an elf "scout" to come stay at your house and fly back every night to inform him of the child's niceness or naughtiness! So when you awake the next morning... voila, the elf is there! I think if this were a stand alone book, I probably would not alot 4 stars. But my kids are enjoying the whole process so much and the book has definitely...more
Marla
You know, the book itself didn't really knock my socks off (to me it reads more like the rules to a game written in a fun way), but it's such a great, fun idea that I had to give it 5 stars. Happy (our elf) came to our home from Grandma only 3 days before Christmas and the kiddos had so much fun each morning trying to find where he'd decided to land when he had returned through the night. It will be even more fun next year when he can return the morning after Thanksgiving! Tried to use the websi...more
BookFiend
In my opinion, overpriced, gimmicky, and slightly annoying... but it brings my goddaughter SO much joy and it's a great way to remind your children that they better clean up the table, put away their toys, or anything else you need them to do because the ELF is watching!

The first night she received it, my friend told me my goddaughter kept waking up in the middle of the night and from her room shouting "Can I check if the elf is back yet?". At which she had to continually tell her daughter, no -...more
D.l. Price
Love the movie, storybook and elf. We had so much fun naming our own elf and check every morning to see if he flew or not. Added to the Christmas festivities. My son loves the story!
Jessica
Kids love it WAY more than I do!
Roy
An instant charmer. We'll see if it results in more nice than naughty behavior from my spirited 3 year old daughter over the couple weeks leading up to Christmas. She has definitely bought into the idea (after a little skepticism at first - "it's just a toy") that there's a scout elf situated in our home who waits until after she goes to sleep to fly back to the North Pole and file a report on her actions, then heads back to our house to be found the following morning in a different spot.
Natalie
This is a MUST HAVE for all families! My kids absolutely love this Christmas tradition and the cute story that goes along with it. Elf on the Shelf is great for families with young or older children. Younger children really take the story of an elf reporting to Santa each night and enjoy looking for the elf each morning. While older children enjoy taking turns moving the Elf from one place to another, a kind of hide-n-seek family game.
Brett Morrison
The book itself is very cute. However, when my daughter asked for it, I did not realize that it came with daily responsibilities for the adults in the house. You must move the elf every day while the kids are asleep. And the expect to find it doing creative and interesting things each day. THe book without the elf would have been much better. However, I must say that my daughter who was seven at the time absolutely loved the elf.
Molly Robbins
This is an AWESOME way to get students to behave not just at home, but you could have an elf on the shelf INSIDE your classroom. This would be great motivation for them to behave and follow directions. You could have them do a writing activity to send their christmas lists to santa (via elf) and have them write about how they have behaved this year at home and in the classroom. This is a GREAT classroom management strategy too.
Tiffany
My daughter came home from Kindergarten yesterday, and she could not stop talking about this book! So, we went to B&N to pick up a copy. Last night, as I read the book to my girls, they lit up with excitement. It was such a precious family moment. "The Elf on the Shelf" has become our latest family Christmas tradition. I recommend this book to anyone with small children. It truly brings the magic of Christmas to life.
Shannon
Jo-jo, our family's elf, came to live with us in 2008 when my boys were 7 & 3. I liked that there was a book to go along with him that we can read to learn the "rules", like how you can't touch him or his magic will go away. Its been exciting for the boys to find Jo-jo each morning, and it certainly makes it fun to point out that he sees you (as an agent for the big guy). We look forward to Jo-jo's return each year.
Denise
A friend of mine suggested that I purchase this book with felt Elf to introduce my newest daughter to the holiday season. I have gone on to tell all of my friends to get this book and start the tradition! We named our Elf "Buddy" and he comes the day after Thanksgiving and stays till Christmas eve!~ we never know where "Buddy" is going to be each morning we search for him and tell him our secrets!!! wonderful!
Shannon Jackson
The concept behind this unique children's book is brilliant. Through the book, children are told a story about their magical North Pole scout elf, which they get to name. Each night after the children are fast asleep, the scout elf flies to the North Pole to report to Santa. Then he returns to the children's home in the middle of the night and lands in a new location within the home.
Janet
Fun children's book for the holidays. 4 stars for the writing, but the strength is in the suggested family tradition for a pre-Christmas family activity. I love family holiday traditions. This book was written in 2005, too late for my child. I have heard some mixed reviews from parents of current young children, but I enjoyed the book and it still looks like fun to me.
Charlie
What a great Christmas Tradition! The tradition explains all about the elf. When you wake up the next morning, you go looking for the elf. But there was a part I disagreed on. It said that if you touch the elf, its magic might go. But I just can't agree with that. Maybe its true, maybe its not. But otherwise, I would of gave 5 stars. The book is enjoyable and fun to read.
Lesley
Moving the elf around and having your little one spot it is fun, but the book was creepy to me. I mean, I'm not telling my kid that Santa (or his elf, in this case) is always watching you ("He sees you when you're sleeping?" Um, no thanks.). I think that's just a personal preference, though, as to what you want to teach your kid about Santa and his helpers.
Thomas
The writing and illustrations are high school-level at best. The doll is kind of silly. I don't think my three-year olds are buying it at all and just playing along because they know this "family tradition" set me back $30.

(But I keep whispering what I want from Santa into the elf's ear - just in case.)
Bookworm Bitches : Elf on the Shelf 13 61 Dec 09, 2012 03:39PM
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Silverlicious
  • The Biggest Snowman Ever
  • The Night Before Kindergarten
  • Jingle All the Way (Jingle, #1)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Auntie Claus
  • Cajun Night Before Christmas
  • Christmas in Noisy Village
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas