Start by marking “The Sock Thief: A Soccer Story” as Want to Read:
The Sock Thief: A Soccer Story

The Sock Thief: A Soccer Story

Brazilian boy Felipe doesn't have a soccer ball. So, when it's his turn to take one to school, he uses a little bit of creativity and a few socks. Felipe is the sock thief, but finding socks is not that easy and the neighborhood pets make it even harder. "Au, au, au!" a dog barks in Portuguese. Felipe wonders if he'll play soccer with his friends today or if he will be ...more
Published March 1st 2015 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Sock Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sock Thief

Tandie
Feb 03, 2015 Tandie marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
I seriously need to get this for my daughter. My 13 yo daughter. She's well practiced in the art of sock thievery, possibly going to be a career criminal. :-)
Melanie Coombes
Mar 18, 2015 Melanie Coombes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a beautifully written and illustrated book. The story takes place in Brazil. Felipe is a young boy who "borrows" socks from his neighbors clotheslines. However, he always leaves a nice, tasty mango in its place. As they reader gets closer to the end of the story, they discover exactly what Felipe does with all those stolen socks.

I am a teacher in an international school in Thailand and this will be perfect to read to my first grade class. I love the line that said, "Why own socks when
Chris
Feb 18, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
A little boy growing up in Brazil needs a soccer ball, but he doesn't have the money for one, so he steals socks and makes a soccer ball of his own. Every time he takes a sock, he leaves a mango in its place. And at the end of the day, he returns all of the socks. Little does he know, everyone in town knows his secret and there is no problem with him taking the socks. It gives the book a nice sense of community.

At the back there is an author's note talking about the practice of making balls in
Betsy
Mar 17, 2015 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book as a Goodreads First Read.

This was a fantastic story!

I read it to my children the day that it arrived. As soon as I finished, they asked me if I would read it again!

We practiced the Portuguese words in the back and talked about making our own sock soccer balls.

As an Early Childhood Education Administrator and as a parent, I love that this story allowed for predictions all throughout, as well as an introduction to the Portuguese language and culture and a project to try. This was
Stacy Jensen
Feb 05, 2015 Stacy Jensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a delightful book. I like that Felipe is a bit naughty in his efforts to make a soccer ball. Of course, this sock thief leaves mangoes and even returns the socks. You'll see at the end, the sock owners know what's happening to their socks too. It makes me think this could happen in any neighborhood where everyone is willing to play along and help a child. The book is also a great introduction to another culture. Felipe is in Brazil and the author’s note page includes Portuguese. We ...more
Juliana Lee
Jan 17, 2016 Juliana Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Set in a small town in Brazil, this lovely picture book introduces children to a culture in some ways different from their own and in other ways universal. Felipe takes socks from his neighbors to make a soccer ball. He leaves mangos in exchange for the socks. After a day of playing soccer, he returns the socks with thank you notes.
Niah Crockett
Mar 11, 2015 Niah Crockett rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very cute. I loved the incorporation of Portuguese words. It's always fun to learn new words in other languages! The illustrations were very lively and colorful which is always a joy. I really liked the author's note at the end that explained the premise of the book. I can't wait to be able to share it with my future children!
Amy
Mar 13, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
I liked the idea of the resourcefulness to make what you don't have. Could be a great talking point with a child on what others might not have. Love that it's a Brazilian main character!
Krista
Oct 27, 2016 Krista rated it it was amazing
Loved the gentle and playful story line and the vibrant colors. The last page of historical and personal insight was especially satisfying. Wonderful book to share!
Venus
Sep 03, 2015 Venus rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Felipe is a sock thief, pilfering the brightly colored foot covers as he makes his way through the neighborhood on his way to school. In exchange he leaves behind little presents for those who are now missing a sock. What could a boy want with so many socks though? Then, with a few knots and some rolling, Felipe turns the socks into a soccer ball. In the end, the neighbors don't seem to mind so much. In fact, some may be leaving their socks out on p
Jordan Cobb
Nov 16, 2015 Jordan Cobb rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story. It is about a boy in Brazil that takes socks from different houses on his way to school. He leaves a mango at each of the houses. He doesn't wear socks though because he only has a pair of flip flops. Throughout the book, you see what Felipe does with the socks. Then you realize he was making a soccer ball for him and his classmates to play soccer at school. He then returns the socks and the neighborhood shows that they are happy to help.

Activity: This would be a grea
Heather Wright
Apr 26, 2015 Heather Wright rated it it was amazing
This books genre is a picture book for children in elementary school. The book is about a little boy who is growing up in Brazil and has to bring a soccer ball to class and cant afford one. So he goes around the neigh hood and "borrows" socks from peoples clothes lines and makes a soccer ball out of it. However, every time he takes someone's sock he leaves a mango behind. I rated this book the way I did because I love how the book was written in the English language however, it did have some ...more
Natalie Williams
Jun 14, 2015 Natalie Williams rated it really liked it
This is a really lovely book that the children I read it too really enjoyed. It is a simple story about boy who can't afford a football and so steals socks to make one and puts them back at the end of the day. The book incorporates Portugese words and I have noted that young children love to learn words in other languages, it's a fantastic way of incorporating new words at a young age.
The illustrations in the book are colourful and really add to the vibrancy of a story set in a country so far aw
Robin
Felipe borrows socks from his neighbors (leaving mangoes in return), twisting, stuffing with newspaper, and tightening them to make a soccer ball. Based on stories the authors remembers hearing from her father who grew up in Brazil in the 1950s, when a soccer ball was an expensive item for an family of 7.

I appreciate all the cultural elements -- the fruit, the architecture, the clothing (or lack of -- lack of shoes by some of the soccer playing kids).

For a read-aloud -- very appealing pictures,
Linda
Felipe walks a long way to school, all the time taking socks from clothes lines or window sills, but leaving a mango as payment. It’s a surprise when he begins curling them inside each other to make a ball! Happy colorful pictures by Nana Conzalez, and lots of soccer play at school makes this a delightful story; Felipe’s soccer ball works wonderfully. Add to that the fun of learning Portuguese words included in the story, and the ending when Felipe, smiling, returns the socks with a note of ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is a really wonderful book for the reading theme, ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, READ! It fits in with an activity that Debby led whereby the kids made soccer balls out of plastic bags. In this book, Felipe makes a soccer ball out of socks. In the morning, he borrows socks from people in his neighborhood and leaves mangoes in their place. Then he returns the socks with a thank you note at the end of the school day. Secretly, all the neighbors are happy to help. This is a sweet story and an ...more
Michelle Lynn
Aug 26, 2015 Michelle Lynn rated it it was amazing
As both an elementary teacher and a parent, I highly recommend this delightful book, The Sock Thief. Children love the mysterious nature of the story and question why Felipe would take so many socks. When young readers see the characters playing soccer at the end, I'm sure they start devising a plan to make their own sock soccer ball! Don't let the title, The Sock Thief, fool you. This sweet book embraces concepts of creativity, resourcefulness, kindness, and community. I look forward to Anna's ...more
Yoo Kyung Sung
Aug 31, 2015 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbgs-2015
I haven't had a book about Brazil and portuguese words are in it. Illustration is great and story is simple yet it illustrates childhood cultures and children's creativity on soccer ball that is made of newspaper stuffed socks. Many of children's books have Spanish words as non-English words so this is a good addition of different foreign language in children's picture books. I wonder though if this is still ongoing practice. In the author's note, the author recalls her grandpa's childhood in ...more
Romelle
A wonderful story about the resourcefulness of a child who grew up with so little. This book is not so much about a sock thief, but rather a sock "borrower." Page after page the reader's curiosity is piqued with the question, "What will Filipe do with the socks he's collected? I enjoyed the cultural elements of the book and the author's note about the story behind the story. Back matter also included a Portuguese glossary.
Lanica
At the end of the school year I am reading many of the new books we bought this year as a summer reading send-off. I think this is one of my favorites, I introduce it by talking about Brazil and it's culture (including Portuguese, mangoes and soccer) before reading it to them. They learn a bit, enjoy a great story and then we share about sports and why Filipe may need to make a soccer ball rather than buy one.
Rebecca
Felipe "borrows" socks each day to make a soccer ball to play with his friends, leaving mangoes as thank yous to everyone in the neighborhood... you wonder about the ethical questions here, and why he is able to find so many socks drying in windows and on lines... until you realize everyone in the neighborhood is in on the ruse and happy to let him borrow their socks to play football. Set in a Brazilian Barrio, this is a lighthearted story of community.
Jayna
Jun 23, 2015 Jayna rated it really liked it

Felipe 'steals' socks from his neighbors on his way to school. He replaces them with a fresh-picked mango. He does return them all when he is done. Unbeknownst to him, his neighbors know his secret!

A cute story about overcoming obstacles and making do with what you have.

I love the bright, colorful illustrations.

I received a copy via the Goodreads First Reads program.
Christine
Jun 26, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
The author, Ana Crespo, is great and so is this book! Very cute and clever!! We are big soccer fans in this house so this book was a perfect one for us. Ana even provided her website which had translations of some of the words in the book, directions on how to make sock ball, and other activities! Great, just great!!
Maggie
I really enjoyed The Sock Thief. The illustrations are enjoyable, and the story that will put a smile on your face. Added bonuses: it's based on a real story, there are diverse characters (the book is set in Brazil), and it introduces a few Portuguese words both in the story and in a glossary at the end of the book.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jul 20, 2015 Kristina Jean Lareau rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I like this story, though I wish there was just a little bit more to it. It feels as if the text was edited well, but needs JUST a little more exposition to give this story some more depth.

The illustrations are well-rendered and expressive if not particularly unique.
Sue
Aug 21, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
Listed in CCBC Choices 2016 under Picture Books for School-Age children. In Brazil, when all you have are worn out flip flops, you might need to trade a ripe mango for socks on the way to school. End papers tell the reality of this picture book story. Sweet Spot: Grades 1-3
Lynn
Apr 02, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it
Interesting story and lively bright illustrations. I suspect the socks weren't actually going to be this clean when returned but I like the sense of community shown by the adult and a look at another world for our young readers.
The Advocate
"This book teaches manners, values and a smattering of Portuguese, all in an immensely enjoyable Brazilian tale." Read more here.
Jessica
Dec 21, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A story about a boy living in Brazil who makes his own soccer ball out of socks and newspaper. It also shows the different way animal noises are spelled in Portuguese.
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
  • The Silver Button
  • The Queen's Hat
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • Wangari Maathai: The Woman Who Planted Millions of Trees
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Take Me Out to the Yakyu: with audio recording
  • Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat
Ana Crespo would much rather live life as a nomad, moving to different places every couple of months or so. Not possible. So, Ana spends her summer traveling through the United States, camping, visiting friends, and getting to know some of the most beautiful places around. When Ana is traveling, she is gathering material for new and exciting stories. When she’s not traveling, she is writing. No ...more
More about Ana Crespo...