Start by marking “An Eye at the Top of the World: The Terrifying Legacy of the Cold War's Most Daring C.I.A. Operation” as Want to Read:

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  5 reviews
At some point during the inhumanly cold Himalayan winter straddling 1965 and 1966, a peculiar collection of box-shaped objects — one sprouting a six-foot, insect-like antenna — plummets nine thousand feet down the sheer flanks of a remote peak. Ripped from its moorings by an avalanche, the jumbled apparatus slides down a funnel-shaped hourglass of hard snow and shoots over ...more
Published September 28th 2006 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about An Eye at the Top of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Eye at the Top of the World

This book seems to get lower reviews because it is often not what the reader is expecting. It was exactly what I was expecting. The story takes place in the Himalayas, so of course there will be mountaineering tales. I personally enjoyed Takeda's writing style, and the twist of the C.I.A. operation. It is no doubt an intersting story, but be prepared to pay attention. It's not a lazy summer read.
Dec 02, 2007 Kim added it
First, a disclaimer: I am only halfway through this book. I was defintely wooed by the story--Cold War spy story set in the Himalayas? Does it get any finer? So far, I think the books subtitle is completely misleading, as it has very little to do with the CIA operation.

So far, maybe 25 of 170 pages (and I think that is generous) have been dedicated to that story line. The rest has been the author beginning to climb Nanda Devi (the mountain where the radioactive spy device was lost) and talking a
Ultimately very disappointing. The writing is not great which makes it hard to read at times, but the biggest problem is that the book is not about what it says it's about. Mostly it's the author telling about his climning experience. I didn't really learn any new insights about this CIA mission after reading the book. He spends more time writing about taking a dump on a climbing trip than discussing the CIA operation (seriously- at least 3 times).

The authors story is interesting, just not what
The book did not live up to the review that led me to buy it. A fairly small part of it was devoted to the CIA operation; the rest was the author's recounting of their trip and climb. Think of it as a less dramatic Into Thin Air with a happy ending.
good book. needs to be a movie!
DanB added it
Aug 18, 2015
Shrikant marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
DEBASIS CHAUDHURI marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Gingere marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Ann Barnhart
Ann Barnhart marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Nirav marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Joel marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Patrice marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2012
Painting marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Jerome marked it as to-read
May 22, 2012