Start by marking “The Spoils: A Play” as Want to Read:
The Spoils: A Play

The Spoils: A Play

Eisenberg’s third play The Spoils cements his reputation as a talented playwright whose tragicomic work explores questions of American privilege and the nature of family and relationships. Eisenberg will star in the New York production of The Spoils in the Spring of 2015, directed by Scott Elliott for the New Group’s inaugural season at the Pershing Square Signature Center ...more
Published August 4th 2015 by Grove Press (first published April 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Spoils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spoils

Zack
Oct 06, 2016 Zack rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays-journal
Setting: Ben’s apartment, New York City
Genre: Drama/Comedy Length: 2 acts; 67 pages Cast Size: 3 M, 2 W
Basis: Original Adaptations: None
Productions: Off-Broadway (June 2015), West End (June 2016)
Accolades: None at time

Story:
“Nobody likes Ben. Ben doesn’t even like Ben. He’s been kicked out of grad school, lives off his parents’ money, and bullies everyone in his life, including his roommate Kalyan, an earnest Nepalese immigrant. When Ben discovers that his grade school crush is marrying a strai
Matthew
Oct 30, 2016 Matthew rated it it was ok
Sometimes funny, sometimes sad; I have met these characters. I think Eisenberg can do better though; the writing was a bit heavy-handed and, unfortunately, I didn't find the play to have a strong overall message or theme.
Emi
Oct 14, 2016 Emi rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to actually see this live, back in August when Jesse brought the play to London. It was as hilarious on paper as it was being performed.
Amy Staniforth
Aug 11, 2016 Amy Staniforth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread the play today after having seen it last month at Trafalgar Studios. Jesse Eisenberg has created, in the character Ben, both a intensely dislikable and simultaneously heartbreaking character. Ben, much like 'The Spoils' at large, was not (for me) easily shaken off. For me, this is a sign of a good piece of writing. Little about 'The Spoils' is easily forgettable.

Like so many other Eisenberg creations Ben is a character on edge - speaking quickly, almost philosophically, and all the time
Booky Mary
Aug 12, 2016 Booky Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Une écriture brillante, un acteur unique est impressionnant de passion et de folie. J'ai adorée cette pièce que je trouve exceptionnelle. Loin de n'être qu'une succession de sketches sans réel intérêt, c'est un tableau impressionniste de notre société contemporaine avec ces défauts et ces aspérités : http://bookymary.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...
Erica
Apr 09, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
I never knew it was possible to hate and love a character so much. It breaks my heart in the best possible way. But, I'm not sure I will ever be able to erase Ben...and I'm not sure that I really want to.
Emma Buckett
Sep 02, 2016 Emma Buckett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved seeing this play and by reading the script, I managed to recapture some of the feeling. This play is hilariously funny but also incredibly emotional. I cannot explain how fantastic it was to see.
Lani
Jun 21, 2016 Lani rated it really liked it
I actually liked this play a lot more than I thought I would. It's a bit pretentious, but the dialogue is really well written and (most) of the characters are really wonderfully written.
Matt Hudson
Matt Hudson rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Aphrodite
Aphrodite rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Sien
Sien rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Katie Padfoot
Katie Padfoot rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Maddie H.
Maddie H. rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Manal Al-Omar
Manal Al-Omar rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Cami
Cami rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Kristttin
Kristttin rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Julio Cesar Guerrero
Julio Cesar Guerrero rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Lxy128504
Lxy128504 rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Sydney
Sydney rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Grove Atlantic
Grove Atlantic rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Lana Bertino
Lana Bertino rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Pascal
Pascal rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
W.S. Evans
W.S. Evans rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Tristin
Tristin rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Aphrodite
Aphrodite rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Megan Scheftner
Megan Scheftner rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Lindy Lin
Lindy Lin rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Sophia Kelley
Sophia Kelley rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Emily Jayne
Emily Jayne rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jesse Adam Eisenberg is an American actor, playwright, author, and humorist. He has played featured or starring roles in films such as The Squid and the Whale (2005), Adventureland (2009), Zombieland (2009), and The Social Network (2010).

Eisenberg was born in New York City and was raised in East Brunswick Township, New Jersey. After graduating from high school, he studied anthropology at The New S
More about Jesse Eisenberg...