More Cunning Than Man: A Social History of Rats and Man

More Cunning Than Man: A Social History of Rats and Man

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This eye-opening, well-researched examination of mankind's oldest competitor is filled with weirdly fascinating information about the history of the rat and the way it consistently outsmarts man.
Published February 1st 1999 by Kensington (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about More Cunning Than Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Cunning Than Man

Tim Weakley
I learned so much about rats in NYC from this book, likely more than I ever wanted to know! It did give me a lot of insight when I eventually began to keep a few rats. Understanding some of their behaviours was puzzling until I understood how neophobic they actually are.
Katy
A lot of this is way off base; many of the reviews I have seen have focused on how well-researched this book is and while it is true that some of the elements are, a lot of them are obviously urban legends or horribly over-exaggerated anecdotes given by people who obviously are not aware of much about rats and are speaking only from fear or cultural stereotypes.

I spent a great deal of time examining the points he made about how rats are ferocious, disease-ridden, gluttonous and tend to over-pop...more
Salomé
The information that is given in the book is quite interesting and not always as obvious as one had anticipated; BUT the writer has a bit of a habit to explain things over and over again. Constantly saying the same thing, only slightly different than the hundred previous times. Which is really annoying.
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Apr 17, 2014
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Jon Fincher
Jon Fincher marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Juho Hartikainen
Juho Hartikainen marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Michi
Michi added it
Aug 12, 2011
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2011
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2010
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2010
The Ocean Almanac The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins: Definitions and Origins of More Than 12,500 Words and Expressions The Literary Life and Other Curiosities The Road to Appomattox QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins