A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)

A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons #9)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Everyone knows that an Effington always getsher way ... but this time it's not going to be easy!

Lady Elizabeth Effington simply could not suitably feel the joy of the Christmas season. Ten years had passed since she had boldly declared her love for Sir Nicholas Collingsworth. He rebuffed her and set out to seek his fortunes, while Elizabeth was left a woman scorned. Now, s...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Avon

Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa KleypasScandal in Spring by Lisa KleypasWhen He Was Wicked by Julia QuinnNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
"I've Loved You for Years."
120th out of 598 books — 682 voters
A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa KleypasChristmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa KleypasBy Proxy by Katy RegneryA Virgin River Christmas by Robyn CarrThe Christmas Wish by Katy Regnery
Best Seasonal Romance {Christmas, Winter}
122nd out of 482 books — 609 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel (BAVR)
Puzzling fact: This is the first Christmas romance I've read. This is puzzling because I LOVE Christmas. I'm the type of jolly elf who makes hot cocoa and starts decorating the house the moment Hallmark Channel begins to air their cycle of Christmas movies. I take this shit seriously, is all. Consequently, even though A Visit from Sir Nicholas wasn't exactly gripping fiction, I tore through it like Buddy the Elf hopped up on candy canes. Because CHRISTMAS, you guys!

And the best part of all? Bac...more
Judy
This story seemed a little different then the others as it takes place 10 years after we first meet the characters. Also it is quite a few years after the other books and Elizabeth, Jules and Jonathan are the grown children of Thomas & Marianne Effington. Thomas is now the Duke.

Jonathan is friends with Charles and Nicholas. Since they were very young it was expected that Charles and Elizabeth would one day marry. Nicholas had come to live with his Uncle at around age 10, after his parents di...more
LaNita Herlem
LOVE a book that makes me laugh out loud! What a cool character Nicholas is! I think I fell in love with him a bit myself!
Kimberly
Very romantic Christmas story with a fun "A Christmas Carol" spin to the tale.
Kimberlee
Took me a little longer to get into this one- but once I did it was well worth it!
Kathryn
Borrowed this review that sums up my reaction (although I didn't even find the Xmas elements all that significant!):

Patria
Lara
A entertaining Christmas romance that follows the main characters from the past (with foolish choices), to the present (when they have to face up to the results of their choices), to a brief future interlude that lets us know how well it all turned out. I did not realize this book was far into a series about a certain family, but am not surprised. Fortunately, there did not seem to be any spoilers as other characters' stories were not addressed much at all.

As far as the main romance goes, I eve...more
Lisa
The story was fast paced. Once you meet Elizabeth, you have to like her. Her tendency to want to hide the fact that she's smart rings true even today. I loved Lizzie's sister, Jules. She was a fun character. There were parts of the story that had me laughing e.g. "The Pirate King and the Lusty Wench". If you've read the story, you'll remember what I'm talking about. If not, trust me it was a fun part to read.

I liked how the author had Nicholas interact with Lizzie's two sons. So often children...more
Gaile
Elizabeth Effington gives A Christmas Carol which has just been published to Nicholas Collingsworth who is planning to seek his fortune in America. Before he leaves, she asks him to take her with him but believing she would be better off to his friend, Charles. he refuses.
Elizabeth then Charles, has two sons and then Charles suddenly dies. Three years later, Nicholas returns. Up to until point, the novel was slow paced and the dialogue rather long winded but it gathers steams with Nicholas's re...more
Kate
I'd say this was a 2.5, but as it's a Christmas novel and it's Christmas time, I'm feeling generous of spirit. I will say that it is not at all what the blurb implied that it would be, which was a relief to be honest. I found the whole thing rather charming, but really lacking in depth, and while it was incredibly repetitive, it was also too short. I know this is a complaint I reiterate often, but this felt like a solid first draft that could have done with a few more thorough revisions.

Also, t...more
Melissa
Eh, it was a nice, quick Christmas read tied very closely to Dickens's A CHRISTMAS CAROL. It had some parts that seemed repetitive (in one chapter Nick dithers over whether he still love Elizabeth, and then the next chapter Elizabeth dithers of the same issue with all the same reasoning). I also found Nick's way of getting Elizabeth's attention was childish as was Elizabeth's habit of throwing vases.

But Elizabeth's kids were really cute and the Pirate King chapter was very sweet.

(Even though thi...more
Alisa Jenkins
Great read for around Christmas time. Ms Alexander incorporated A Christmas Carol into the story very well.
I really loved the romance between Lizzie and Nick. It was described well as a Grand Passion or Grand Madness. Lizzie was relate able to with her reactions and feelings to Nick even after being apart for 10 years.
What I didn't like was how she was behaving when she was younger,acting flighty, as to attract more attention than she would have if she showed her true self. As she is now older a...more
Dvaughan
An awesome romance, great characters, great humor, terrific book!
Jessi
I enjoyed may of the earlier Effington books but this book dragged on WAY too long. Too much exposition made it a lot longer than it could have been, would have been much more enjoyable as a short story. Basically, Lady Elizabeth Effington falls in love with her brother's friend, Sir Nicholas but he feels he has nothing to offer so he encourages her to marry someone else. Her husband dies right after she finds love letters addressed to him from another woman. The two things combine to make Eliza...more
Heather
Meaghan
cute holiday centered story from one of my favorite historical romance writers...
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Nicolas and Elizabeth seemed to be destined for each other until he left for the east to chase his dreams and she wed a man who was more friend than lover. 10 years later, Elizabeth is a widow and Nick has come home a wealthy man who is still in love with her. Arguments abound because Elizabeth is stubbornly avoiding their remaining love for each other, and lives resume the way they were always supposed to be. Great read!!
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Gail
In the beginning of the story, I wasn't sure the hero deserved to win the heroine. He's kind of a snot. But Alexander managed to redeem him. And she's such a good writer, she keeps the reader interested. I enjoyed the book.
Heather
Really did not care for the male lead in this book at all he comes off a s a wishy washy control freak and kind of an A**. So i was bummed cuz I normally like this author and this series.
Jule
I enjoyed this ebook. It was all that I expected from this Author. The characters were fun and interesting. I found that I didn't want to put it down.
Michelle Nelson
Another one for my keeper shelf. This was one of my favorites of Victoria's. Compared to some of them. But she is an auto buy for me.
Amos
of Adlibris 6/30/2010 and a second copy 6/30/2010, Started 7/27/2010
Another well crafted novel kept me up again.
Michael
Did not like. Kinda boring and the leads were uninteresting
N.u.m.b S.S
كتابات مثل هذه تخليني أحب اللغة الانجليزية .. لغة جميلة جداً
Dianne Salzwedel
Original love comes back after husband dies, controls her money
Lyn

Very good. I loved it
Joy
a great holiday read...
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #7)
  • Christmas Keepsakes
  • Christmas Angel
  • The Bachelor List (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #1)
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)
  • Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
  • The Lady Is Tempted

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,...more
More about Victoria Alexander...
The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1) A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1) What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2) The Husband List (Effingtons, #2) Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)