Start by marking “You are the Hero” as Want to Read:
You are the Hero

You are the Hero

A 'coffee table' book celebrating 30 years of Fighting Fantasy, the publishing phenomenon created by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone.
Published September 7th 2014 by Snowbooks

To ask other readers questions about You are the Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You are the Hero

Tony
Sep 29, 2014 Tony rated it it was amazing
As soon as I heard about the Kickstarter project to create this book I was on-board instantly. For me this is a validation of my youth. A way to explain how I became the person I am today. I imagine my face was a little like those of the first monks to see a Gutenberg bible. I’ve seen one and regardless of what you think about the content they are amazing.

This book was supposed to be a paperback. Having received my stunning hardback I can’t imagine it having been printed any other way. The quali
Jonathan Hicks
Sep 28, 2014 Jonathan Hicks rated it it was amazing
I need to get some things out of the way. First things first - I’m a huge Fighting Fantasy fan. I’ve been reading them since 1983 and it was the game that got me into the tabletop gaming hobby. I got myself wrapped up in the worlds of Fighting Fantasy, especially Titan, and I played the books, the RPG, the boardgames and the computer games. I was first in line at the UK Games Expo a few years ago to get my 25th Anniversary book signed by Jackson and Livingstone, and I can quite easily attribute ...more
S.E. Lindberg
The origin of Grimdark chronicled: Many cite Grimdark’s name as being evolved from the tagline of Game’s Workshop’s sci-fi brand of fiction/games: Warhammer 40,0000. The tagline follows: "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.” Of course, GW also produces the fantasy Olde World line up too (medieval fantasy). Check out GW’s Black Library for their books. So before Warhammer 40,0000, what did GW produce? What spawned this tagline of Grim Darkness? The answer: Fighting Fantasy. ...more
Nicholas Smith
Nov 21, 2016 Nicholas Smith rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book that took me immediately back to the early 80s and lost Saturdays with my nose deep within one of these books. Very nicely laid out and good interviews with the principal authors and players in the field. If you were there at that time this is a must read. Highly recommended.
Mick
Mar 14, 2015 Mick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Like many readers my age, the Fighting Fantasy gamebook series - beginning in 1982 with The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. An attempt by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone to simplify the mechanics of roleplaying games such as D&D and package them with single player adventure, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain was a massive hit for Puffin books in the UK and worldwide.

I read and played (and cheated) my way through all 59 of the gamebooks which followe
Pete
Apr 17, 2015 Pete rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
As a huge Fighting Fantasy fan and collector, I couldn't wait to read this book. Now i've finished I am gushing about how good it was, whilst also wishing it was even better.

The posiitives are that every book and related item is discussed, all of the authors and artists are interviewed, and the artwork is phenomonal. The casual style of the prose, along with the views from everyone from the authors to the fans, makes this book a huge success/

I would personally have liked to have seen more words
Richard Cosgrove
Jun 25, 2015 Richard Cosgrove rated it it was amazing
As someone who has fond memories of discovering The Warlock of Firetop Mountain as an inquisitive book loving twelve year old, I've grown up with the Fighting Fantasy books, and so to have such an exquisitely researched and presented history of them at my fingertips is every bit as satisfying as that first run through Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's revolutionary undertaking.

Of course, as a huge fan, it does make it a little difficult to be completely objective about You Are The Hero, and my
Michael Kelly
Jun 02, 2015 Michael Kelly rated it it was amazing
What a superb quality, wonderfully illustrated, fascinating book, a celebration of 30 years of the phenomenon that is Fighting Fantasy.

As someone who is a voracious reader of fantasy fiction and also a keen role-player, the FF series was a key ingredient of my youth (and still is today, as I'm currently revisiting all the old favourites). In many ways, these books still have the potential to trump even the very latest video games, as the use of the reader's own imagination to flesh out the descr
Richie Brown
Aug 19, 2015 Richie Brown rated it liked it
I couldn't wait to get stuck into a book that chronicles the Fighting Fantasy saga from the early days where the likes of Zagor and Balthus Dire were mere thoughts in the heads of Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson and, for the first half of the book, it's very hard to put down. However, like the series itself, it begins to lose its way a little when the focus comes off Livingstone and Jackson. Still very readable and interesting, but possibly not one you will pick up time and time again.
Jim Sturgess
Jim Sturgess rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Adrian
Adrian rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Thorbjørn
Thorbjørn rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Vivienne
Vivienne rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
John Dodd
John Dodd rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Graham Bailey
Graham Bailey rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Mark Baker
Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Mark Fieldsend
Mark Fieldsend rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Zudensachen
Zudensachen rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Herge
Herge rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Sidney Lock
Sidney Lock rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
James King
James King rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
John Bradbury
John Bradbury rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Neil77
Neil77 rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Mark Buckley
Mark Buckley rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Ferdu
Ferdu rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Neil Studd
Neil Studd rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
242006
Jonathan Green is a writer of speculative fiction, with more than sixty books to his name. Well known for his contributions to the Fighting Fantasy range of adventure gamebooks, he has also written fiction for such diverse properties as Doctor Who, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, Sonic the Hedgehog, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Moshi Monsters, LEGO, Judge Dredd and Robin ...more
More about Jonathan Green...