Start by marking “Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #17)” as Want to Read:
Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #17)

Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club #17)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  1,745 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Baby-sitter Mary Anne experiences a string of bad luck that begins when she throws away a mysterious chain letter, and she wonders if the chain letter is causing her misfortune.
Published October 28th 1988 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Best Series Books
314th out of 888 books — 762 voters
Matilda by Roald DahlCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
90s Kids
146th out of 155 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Individualfrog
Once upon a time, I mentioned to my sister that this was one of my favorite Baby-Sitters Club books, and that it was a shame that the family copy had been lost. Very soon after--the next day, perhaps--she walked up to me and handed me a new copy, signed by Ann M. Martin herself, which she'd found in a second-hand bookshop. A startling example, perhaps, of whatever cognitive bias it is that makes us likely to find things we've been prompted to look for, which is the theme of the book.

I'm sure the
April Thompson
Cute installment in the series. Was bothered by the constant bad luck (thought it was overkill), but then it wrapped up nicely in the end.
Julie Decker
Mary Anne's a bit of a superstitious girl, so when she gets a chain letter and throws it out because her friends convince her to, she regrets it. Coincidentally, she then receives a sinister "bad luck charm" in the mail and is too chicken to defy the accompanying instructions that insist she must wear it. Various unlucky things keep happening to her and around her, and she's convinced she is the target of supernatural rage. How far will she go to appease the wickedness that's targeted her, and c ...more
Ciara
i'm ashamed to say, i actually got a little bit freaked out reading this alone in my bedroom one night when jared was late coming to bed because he was finishing up a paper. this book definitely creeped me out when i was a kid (apparently i was something of a wuss). i think my adult creepy feelings were like muscle memories from childhood or something.

so. the highlight of mary anne's day is checking the mail. i can relate to this, i enjoy checking the mail--but that's because there's usually som
Swankivy
I've always hated mysteries, so I wasn't very excited about reading this one. But then it was worse because the "bad luck" stuff was so contrived in this book. Mary Anne gets a chain letter, throws it out because her friends think it's stupid, and then whenever anything bad happens to her she thinks she's cursed. But then, ridiculously, a girl who apparently wants to steal her boyfriend decides to try to trick her and anonymously sends her a bad luck charm that she's too chicken not to wear. You ...more
Laura Hughes
Mary Anne ignores a chain letter.

Then mysterious bad things start to happen. Mary Anne receives frightening notes, including a “bad luck charm” which the letter tells her she must wear. Scared, she does as she’s told, until her father tells her that her necklace is just a mustard seed, and she and the gang figure out that their school rival (because that is a thing people have), Cokie Mason, is behind everything. They booby-trap the graveyard to double-cross the double-crossers.

This is a pretty
Kristine Pratt
A good story about how you can find bad luck if you're looking for it, and what happens when you let fear take over. Didn't expect all that from a Baby Sitters Club book, but hey, the author has always been one to tackle huge subjects. I especially liked the ending.
Emma was impressed that I remembered what was in the bad luck charm necklace.
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Jessica
Usual school high-jinks. Not one of my favorites.
jacky
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.
Delicious Strawberry
Despite Mary Anne's sweet and shy personality, she has gained rivals because girls are jealous that she has a boyfriend (Logan) You know what they say, haters gonna hate. So they decide to screw around with Mary Anne by making her believe that she has been cursed with bad luck. In the end it proves to just be a prank, and the club learns to not take superstition so seriously.
Natalí
(Hey, another re-read, and this one I did remembered) I had forgotten chain letters actually existed physically long ago. Though, this book was a bit of let down, as the BSC members seemed quite superstitious about everything that happened around them and where pretty ready to blame it all on one of their own (MA). I did like payback, however ;)
Maria M. Elmvang
Aren't they a bit too old to be that superstitious? I knew there was no such thing as bad-luck chain letters and charms at a much younger age. I don't mind suspending my disbelief (which you basically have to do anyway with this series, as they usually act WAY older than their years), but this seemed a bit too far out.
GraceWastheAnswer
I skimmed through this book, just to see what was happening to the BSC. I don't believe in bad luck, so it didn't interest me. Anne could have just as easily wrote a book about Mary Anne trying to be good, so that Santa would bring her presents. It would have been just as interesting to me.
Idea Smith
An okayish book signalling an upward trend in the Babysitters Club books. There's more love/boy stuff now onwards and newer kids. The bad luck charm, chain letters and Halloween Hop bits are fun. I'm finding it slightly abrupt though, Mary Anne's transition from wallflower to center of storm calm.
Sarah B
So, if someone sent you a bad luck charm, would you wear it? No? Well, neither would i? Mary Anne Spier is an entirely different kettle of fish. This book introduced me to the concept of holding one's breath while passing a graveyard.
Sally
Ahh, the one with the chain letter! And the weird necklace! I kind of enjoyed this one, even though I wasn't silly enough to believe that Mary Anne's "bad luck" was due to her ignoring the letter's instructions.
Noora
Samaa tuttua linjaa, yhdessä ollaan ja kaikilla on kivaa. Kirjaan on vaikea suhtautua neutraalisti, kun tietää olevansa kohderyhmää vanhempi... Mutta nuortenkirjaksi silti hyvä.
Sarah Smith
I loved the series as a kid. I never read them in order because the library didn't have all of them. I think my favs were the Super Specials.
Once again Martin has penned a misnomer. There's no "mystery" here, Mary Ann is simply going through a streak of bad luck.
Rhiannon1220
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Amanda
A good series that I enjoyed as a child.I would recommend this to children as I still remember the story to this day.
Grace
It was okay.
The only really-really good BSC books I've read so far were the super-specials and super mystery.
Amy Holcomb
I didn't like this one so much because it was about chain-letters (and who likes those???).
Heather
I barely remember this one! (You would think that would be true for all of them, but not so!
Rylee
This is a great book and it is really interesting!
Neesa
Mary-Anne will always be my favorite!!!
  • Three's a Crowd (Sweet Valley Twins, #7)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 133 books)
  • The Summer Before (The Baby-Sitters Club, #0.5)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Doll People (Doll People, #1) Rain Reign