Start by marking “The Sleeping and the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping and the Dead

The Sleeping and the Dead

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  28 reviews
“A suspenseful crime story that puts Ms. Cleeves in the Rendell class.”—Peterborough Evening Telegraph

“Cleeves again excels in her sense of place in this cleverly plotted psychological thriller.”—The Times (London)

“Cleeves writes with an easy directness that brings alive the tensions in a place where everyone knows everyone else and nothing can be forgotten.”—The Times Lit
Published January 1st 2008 by Bloody Brits Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping and the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping and the Dead

Sharonm
This is a stand-alone, but it could easily be the start of a series. I'm guessing, though, that since it was published in 2001 and there hasn't been a follow-up, Cleeves decided against a series. The book takes place during a hot summer drought, when a reservoir gets so low that a body floats to the surface. The twisting connections between those living in the area now, other murders, and the murder from the past make for a very engaging psychological mystery. I couldn't put it down, wondering h ...more
Sam
I did enjoy this book, I even figured out whodunit, just got part of the 'why' wrong. I did struggle to see the connections properly though, in my opinion, the connections were tenuous and I would have liked some more clues /foreshadowing. I would also have liked a proper explanation as to what was wrong with the main detective, and if one of the suspects was going to be exonerated, I would have liked to have seen an admission of mistake/an apology from the accuser (if that makes sense, don't wa ...more
Phyl
This is a good detective story that avoids the stereotypical hard living, hard drinking protagonist so beloved of crime fiction. The plot is well placed and the characterisation excellent. My only criticism was the ending was a bit convoluted but then it has this in common with many crime novels.
Virginia
The plot had me interested for most of the book; however, the method in which the resolution was presented was rather rushed and forced and the final sentence was so twee it made me wince.
Michelle
The ending of this book was such a let down. Ann Cleeves did a good job of spinning the story, and the ending could have been more exciting and revealing, but no. It seemed rushed and incomplete. I gave it 3 stars for the plot. That ending wasn't even worth 1 star
Louise
Decent book. Main characters needed more development even if this was by way of a series. Ending definitely rushed. Certain actions and decisions seem very unlikely and only happen to support the plot. More to like than dislike though & would recommend.
Bexy
It would have gotten four however end seemed quite rushed, which is a shame as the twist was good. The rationale for it needed more work though.
Barrie
Overall, really liked the concept, the character development, and even the plot twist but the resolution was rather rushed; almost as if Cleeves had gotten bored with the story and wanted done with it. Also thought Detective Peter Porteous would have been a fascinating protagonist around whom to build a series but, alas, there has been, so far, only the one.
Lee

Body, murdered twenty years ago. Sleepy English town, lots of red herrings. My guilty pleasure reading Ann Cleeves.
Martha
Excellent mystery, well-drawn interesting characters, and ending was plausible but not obvious.
Glenda Powell
Ok not that special.
MaryAnn
This standalone thriller pits DCI Porteous against a killer who committed a murder 30 years ago, and then begins again--and prison librarian Hannah Morton gets involved in the scramble to find out who the killer is, and why he's killing again.
Andrew Lone
A very good read once you get into it
Carol
Stand alone book-I would enjoy hearing more about Chief Inspector Porteous.
Courtney
I thought that overall this was an OK book. I was still shocked by the ending, but I found the killer's motive a bit of a far stretch. Anne Cleeves is great at creating characters and the worlds around them, and for that the book was still OK.
Roger Neilson
Not sure about Porteous as a key figure in this. Very confusing amount of characters, maybe too many all told. At the. End a little too rapid a denouement.
Chris Wright
Promising plot but the outcome was disappointing. Enjoyed reading though and am happy to keep reading her books.
Mary Jeske
Very good. It's interesting to read books from other countries. They have different language and names.
David
It was an OK read but I had difficulty with some of the characters, they seemed to lack a bit of substance.
Mags Delaney
I really enjoyed this book . Didn't guess the ending for a change ... wonder why its a stand alone book?
Vanessab
I did enjoy this and the end was exciting. However I was not really convinced by the plot.
Margareth8537
Reads as rather old fashioned - I would have put it as written in the 70s.
Kelly Mottershead
Enjoyable but I felt the ending was a little rushed.
Carol
Sep 30, 2012 Carol added it
A very good book by Ann Cleeves
Rebecca Coday
good story, keeps you guessing
  • A Disappearance in Drury Lane (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #8)
  • Blood Sinister (Bill Slider, #8)
  • A Siege of Bitterns: A Birder Murder Mystery
  • The Grave Tattoo
  • A Particular Eye for Villainy (Lizzie Martin, #4)
  • Glasgow Kiss
  • Pascal Passion (The Falconer Files, #4)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • The Blood Detective
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • Wobble to Death
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • Closure
  • Good Morning, Midnight (Dalziel & Pascoe, #21)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann
More about Ann Cleeves...
Raven Black (Shetland, #1) White Nights (Shetland, #2) Red Bones (Shetland, #3) Blue Lightning (Shetland, #4) Dead Water (Shetland, #5)