Start by marking “The Sleeping and the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping and the Dead

The Sleeping and the Dead

Detective Peter Porteous has been called to Cranwell Lake, where the body of a teenager has been discovered. After trawling through missing persons files, he deduces that the corpse is Michael Grey, an enigmatic and secretive eighteen-year-old reported missing in 1972.

Prison librarian Hannah Morton is about to get the shock of her life. For Michael was her boyfriend, and s
Published January 1st 2008 by Bloody Brits Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping and the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping and the Dead

Sharonm
Jul 23, 2011 Sharonm rated it really liked it
This is a stand-alone, but it could easily be the start of a series. I'm guessing, though, that since it was published in 2001 and there hasn't been a follow-up, Cleeves decided against a series. The book takes place during a hot summer drought, when a reservoir gets so low that a body floats to the surface. The twisting connections between those living in the area now, other murders, and the murder from the past make for a very engaging psychological mystery. I couldn't put it down, wondering h ...more
Phyl
Sep 13, 2014 Phyl rated it really liked it
This is a good detective story that avoids the stereotypical hard living, hard drinking protagonist so beloved of crime fiction. The plot is well placed and the characterisation excellent. My only criticism was the ending was a bit convoluted but then it has this in common with many crime novels.
Mandy Radley
Aug 10, 2015 Mandy Radley rated it really liked it
A good stand alone novel by Ann Cleeves. You really can't go wrong with any of her books.
Sam
Mar 31, 2014 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book, I even figured out whodunit, just got part of the 'why' wrong. I did struggle to see the connections properly though, in my opinion, the connections were tenuous and I would have liked some more clues /foreshadowing. I would also have liked a proper explanation as to what was wrong with the main detective, and if one of the suspects was going to be exonerated, I would have liked to have seen an admission of mistake/an apology from the accuser (if that makes sense, don't wa ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Great story with a new and different character
Detective Inspector Porteous is the main character - he likes life quieter so relocated to a smaller village from the big city. And, of course, a body is discovered in the lake - one that had been there for many years. Who is the body, and how and why did he come to be murdered and placed in the lake?
Virginia
Apr 29, 2012 Virginia rated it it was ok
The plot had me interested for most of the book; however, the method in which the resolution was presented was rather rushed and forced and the final sentence was so twee it made me wince.
Deirdre Clancy
Dec 29, 2016 Deirdre Clancy rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Ann Cleeves' one-off novels I have read, and I wasn't disappointed. Although at face value, it does appear to be a rather strange plot, with some rather disturbed and dark characters, it explores a side of human nature that many crime fiction writers seem to avoid. The subject of disturbed children and teenagers is a delicate one to tackle, but it is done sensitively, and the book raises many ethical and philosophical questions about the level of responsibility children shou ...more
Barbara Andrzejewski
Jan 17, 2017 Barbara Andrzejewski rated it it was amazing
The main character is Peter Porteus, his partner Sgt Eddie Stout, investigate an old murder, and acquaint themselves at the same time.
I enjoy Ann Cleeves' novels. That means Vera. I love the tv series and Brenda Blethyn as well!
Sheila
Nov 22, 2016 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the plot was good I found this surprisingly flat and uninteresting compared with the other Ann Cleeves books I've read. I couldn't get interested in the characters, and elements of the plot were familiar. I couldn't get a sense of the place at all.
David Highton
Nov 25, 2016 David Highton rated it liked it
Not as good as the Vera and Shetland books, the Porteous character not built in the same depth, but a very decent police thriller
Martavinhais
Nov 22, 2016 Martavinhais rated it liked it
Good characters... Small details that explain the events in a very interesting way. Well planned.
Enjoyed it a lot.
Karen Brooks
Sep 12, 2016 Karen Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never before read an Ann Cleeves book (though I have watched and thoroughly enjoy the television series, Shetland, which is based on some of her books), but if The Sleeping and the Dead is any indication of her talent, then I look forward to reading many more.
The Sleeping and the Dead, while a crime novel, is also a psychological thriller. Set in the present, the body of a teenager that has been submerged in a lake for 30 years bobs to the surface, catapulting both the investigative team
Susan Page
Sep 26, 2016 Susan Page rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story very much. It was well thought out, even if a little convoluted. I did not guess who the real murderer was, even though he did seem a little strange. I am not sure what the story was about Marty, why he would have got himself involved in a fight when he was so close to parole was unexplained. The murder of Alec Reeves wasn't explained except in a throwaway sentence close to the end of the book. Those points aside it was a gripping tale. I would read more Peter Porteous books ...more
Becky Hart
I had picked this book up at a book fair and had never heard of it before. I liked the writing of story. It was very descriptive. The end was disappointing though. I found it very rushed and felt like the author just wanted it to end.
Stina
Apr 28, 2016 Stina rated it liked it
Shelves: ann-cleeves
A standalone book, this is a little different to the Shetland and Vera series. Whilst remaking in the third person throughout, it does change perspective from the main characters. It starts off from the perspective of Peter Porteous and his Sgt. But then it switches to that of another central character Hannah so we don't see the story from behind the police scenes. That's ok I can deal with that...but as a result, the ending is seen from Hannah in one chapter, her daughter in the next, back to H ...more
Lwg
May 07, 2014 Lwg rated it liked it
Enjoyed this. A few of the reviews complain about the ending, and I agree with them, but I don't think that is peculiar to this book. I love Ann Cleeves, but I always find the endings rushed, formulaic and unconvincing. And she has a way of doing it which reduces tension rather than ramping it up. Despite that, though, I still love her. In all her books, it's the characters which count. The interest lies mainly in the character of the detective, but also in one or two of the main suspects. That' ...more
Virginia Van
Jan 24, 2016 Virginia Van rated it really liked it
When a draught brings to light the body of a teenager dumped in Cranwell Lake 20 years ago, Detective Peter Porteous finmds himself trawling through missing persons files. When he figures out the corpse is that of Michael Grey, an enigmatic and secretive eighteen-year-old reported missing in 1972, prison librarian Hannah Morton is shocked. Michael was her boyfriend and it looks like she was with him the night he disappeared, a discovery that brings back long-buried memories and begins a deadly c ...more
I enjoyed this well enough, although it was perhaps marginally less engaging than many of her others and certainly not up to the standard of her best. I felt her two main investigators had bags of potential (very interesting when Porteous visits his own psychiatrist for information about a victim) deserving of more than a one off outing... particularly in view of the outcome of this novel. Not enough pages were devoted to the explanation - for that kind of scene to work you need a few more chara ...more
Lelia
Aug 08, 2016 Lelia rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
As a big fan of Cleeves' Jimmy Perez and Vera Stanhope books, I didn't know what to expect from this Peter Porteous one-off, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Porteous doesn't actually have much presence in the story and I found myself almost forgetting he was at the helm of the investigation. Much of the narrative is from Hannah Morton's point of view, or her daughter Rosie's, and I found their personalities very engaging and their story more engrossing with every page.
Netti
Mar 05, 2016 Netti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: krimi, british
Was für ein Lese-Genuss!! Obwohl ich einige richtige Vermutungen angestellt hatte, war das Ende dennoch eine haarsträubende Überraschung. Mir gefällt in den Büchern von Ann Cleeves ganz besonders, wie sie ihre Figuren entwickelt: es ist fast so, als würde man sie "im richtigen Leben" kennenlernen. Man erfährt nach und nach immer mehr Eigenheiten und Bruchstücke der biografischen Hintergründe.
Barrie
May 14, 2015 Barrie rated it liked it
Overall, really liked the concept, the character development, and even the plot twist but the resolution was rather rushed; almost as if Cleeves had gotten bored with the story and wanted done with it. Also thought Detective Peter Porteous would have been a fascinating protagonist around whom to build a series but, alas, there has been, so far, only the one.
Courtney
May 25, 2008 Courtney rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I thought that overall this was an OK book. I was still shocked by the ending, but I found the killer's motive a bit of a far stretch. Anne Cleeves is great at creating characters and the worlds around them, and for that the book was still OK.
Michelle
The ending of this book was such a let down. Ann Cleeves did a good job of spinning the story, and the ending could have been more exciting and revealing, but no. It seemed rushed and incomplete. I gave it 3 stars for the plot. That ending wasn't even worth 1 star
MaryAnn
Oct 01, 2014 MaryAnn rated it really liked it
This standalone thriller pits DCI Porteous against a killer who committed a murder 30 years ago, and then begins again--and prison librarian Hannah Morton gets involved in the scramble to find out who the killer is, and why he's killing again.
Louise
Aug 29, 2014 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book. Main characters needed more development even if this was by way of a series. Ending definitely rushed. Certain actions and decisions seem very unlikely and only happen to support the plot. More to like than dislike though & would recommend.
Lee
Mar 17, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it

Body, murdered twenty years ago. Sleepy English town, lots of red herrings. My guilty pleasure reading Ann Cleeves.
Pat
Mar 02, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it
Another excellent page turner from Ann Cleeves. These seem to be my go-to choice for easy reading at the moment.
Tony Sannicandro
Oct 27, 2015 Tony Sannicandro rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. It gets wound up in about three pages, maybe a little too quick but there is so much that is just plain great about this book you do whisk for another fifty pages!
Bexy
Aug 31, 2014 Bexy rated it liked it
It would have gotten four however end seemed quite rushed, which is a shame as the twist was good. The rationale for it needed more work though.
David
Feb 19, 2012 David rated it liked it
It was an OK read but I had difficulty with some of the characters, they seemed to lack a bit of substance.
  • A Drink of Deadly Wine
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • Upon A Dark Night (Peter Diamond, #5)
  • A Bed of Scorpions
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • The Testimony of the Hanged Man (Lizzie Martin, #5)
  • A Man Lay Dead / Enter a Murderer / The Nursing Home Murder (The Ngaio Marsh Collection)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • A Little Local Murder
  • Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume Two (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #4-6)
  • Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3)
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • Blowback (Enzo Files, #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss
  • Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1)
  • Shallow Grave (Bill Slider,#7)
  • Pascal Passion (The Falconer Files, #4)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann
More about Ann Cleeves...