Start by marking “The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order” as Want to Read:
The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order

The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  205 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This book is an essential exploration into the history of a legendary group of Crusaders, which are prominently featured in Dan Brown's recent best seller, The Da Vinci Code. The Knights Templar rose from humble beginnings to become the most powerful military religious order of the Middle Ages. Formed to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land, they participated in the Crusades ...more
Published November 20th 2004 by Basic Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Knights Templar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knights Templar

Mar 05, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I admit to kind of being disappointed in this book. After seeing a documentary about the Templars on the History Channel, I picked it up, wanting to learn more, only to have 80% of the same facts regurgitated at me, with the other 20% being a hard to follow list of important leaders, places, and battles in the Middle East involving the Templars, their supporters, and even "enemies".

I suppose this is to be expected when dealing with such history. The Templars were not among the most well document
Jhumjhum Chakrabarti
I am compelled to say that the excitement with which I had picked up this book, it failed dismally to live upto my expectations. When I began reading I thought I would be getting a commentary on the 'Holy blood and Holy grail 'but soon realised that it had drawn most of its references from the book itself. So instead of acting as a commentary it turned to be more of an offshoot.
Further the author doesn't add any new information to what is not already known to the Templar Enthusiasts hence somewh
Martin Marais
Apr 17, 2015 Martin Marais rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short and concise telling of the two hundred year history of the order of the Knights Templar. It sets out all the key events and introduces the key characters in a flowing narrative that does not confuse. It also introduces the Knight Hospitaller and the Teutonic Knights with whom the Templars appear to have had changing and sometimes difficult relationships. If you know nothing about this intriguing order and want an easy to read, quick summary of it then this could be the book for y ...more
Don
Jun 03, 2009 Don rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
I received this book a few months ago from some friends who, while interested in the topic of the Templars, and sorting through some of the myth from the reality in history, described the book as a bit overly detailed, muddying the information and making it difficult to get through.

I have to agree with their assessment after finishing it last night. The book is short, about 150 pages, a little bit more if you include the Appendices, but it is packed with information. The author does provide many
Steele Dimmock
Mar 19, 2014 Steele Dimmock rated it liked it
If you enjoy the Assassin's Creed games. This is a good companion book. It's short and gives an excellent flyover of the order during its glory days. If you are already familiar with the lore then this will only offer scant value.
I would have liked to have known more about the continuation of the order and it's evolution in to modern times.
Fun reading for anyone interested in the poor knights of the temple of Solomon.
Ravi Singh
Feb 11, 2015 Ravi Singh rated it liked it
A concise, straightforward history of one of the most intriguing orders of knights from the days of the Crusades. Gives an essential account without going into too many details. The mystery, thrill, suspense seeking readers steer clear. If you just want some basic knowledge about the background in a short time, this is for you.
S. K. Pentecost
What I knew about Templars fit on the head of a pin. Now I know more. Like, I now have one more secret behind the scenes cabal pulling the strings of world governance to worry about. How do they all fit behind the curtain, do you think?

This book was a compact primer (pronounced pry-mur)on the workings of a very recognizable brand of warrior-monks.

I listened to the audio-book so I'll have to go back for a re-listen for those parts when I got distracted, but this book felt like a very good jumping
Isaac Gallaway
Aug 28, 2015 Isaac Gallaway rated it it was ok
Decent reading as I was interested in a brief overview of the Knights Templar. I didn't realize they originally started out as a "christian" group. Good if you're looking for a quick survey of the Knights Templar and you can finish it within a couple days... one if you're motivated.
grey1066
This book reads like a student's term paper. It's fairly accurate in names and events, but compacted and very lacking in interest. If you happen to need a short (125 page) study guide whilst cramming for an exam on the Templars, then this book is for you.
Jovana Đurić
Aug 16, 2014 Jovana Đurić rated it really liked it
It's a great book with a lot of historical information. I liked it, but I thought that it would give us more information about templars, their rituals and similar, but in the end all was relative.
Alex
Feb 07, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
This slender volume gives "the history and myths of the legendary military order". It's to the point and easy to read. It's a good way to get the real story of the Knights after reading The Da Vinci Code or watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
John Martindale
I never even recall hearing of the Templars, so this little history was enlightening. They started out as a little group of monastic knights whose role was to protect those on pilgrimages to Jerusalem from bandits. This being after the first crusade which put Jerusalem in "Christian" hands. They evolved into a powerful military force for a while, and were extremely wealthy and even established one of the first banks.

It is interesting to learn that the Christians allowed Muslims to to continue to
Shawn
Nov 04, 2015 Shawn rated it liked it
Very broad overview of how they came to be and how they went away. Interesting contributions to modern society.
John Brian Anderson
Sep 29, 2014 John Brian Anderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
So dry and boring, not what I expected at all.

Overdrive MVLC.
Chris
Dec 28, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
This small book, focusing more on the factual history than on the myths & conspiracy theories, was a bit hard to follow at times. The author jumped around chronologically too much, making a complex history, already complicated by unfamiliar names & places, even more difficult to digest. But I'm fascinated enough by it all that I read it through anyway.
Matthew Roberts
Sep 13, 2012 Matthew Roberts rated it liked it
It's a good primer and rattles through the history pretty quickly with little comment. It's a strange middle ground, covering both the history and the myths without going into depth on either.

If this is something you're interested in, it can't hurt to read it - like I say, it's short. And it may provide a starting off point for further research.
T.
Apr 07, 2014 T. rated it liked it
Shelves: library-loan
I picked this book up at my local library, as I wanted a bit of background information on the Knight Templar history. This short book had some great factual info with out a fictional-whimsical portrayal of the Knights. A solid read.
Paola Paz
Feb 27, 2013 Paola Paz rated it it was amazing
This book really helps you to understand the main history of Templars. You can learn a lot.
I read it because I love this topics and I found it really interesting and useful.
Ian James
Jan 29, 2012 Ian James rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A very concise history of the knights templar, not the best one out there but if you just need a topical study its quit good.
Drew Mcmahon
Oct 26, 2012 Drew Mcmahon rated it really liked it
Very easy to read. Leaves you wanting more and gives you a very good but basic history lesson.
Kristinka
Like once said, it's the best review book about the templars written from a non Mason.
Mike
Jul 30, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
interesting book
gargamelscat
gargamelscat rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Chioma Chukwura
Chioma Chukwura marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Joe Dooly Jr
Joe Dooly Jr marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
David Mahony
David Mahony rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
raymond d french, jr.
raymond d french, jr. marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • Ornamentalism: How the British Saw Their Empire
  • The Outline of History
  • White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties
  • Xerxes Invades Greece (Penguin Epics, #3)
  • The Case of the Midwife Toad
  • This Sceptred Isle: 55 BC - 1901: The Roman Invasion to the Death of Queen Victoria
  • The Anglo Saxon Chronicle
  • Restoration London: Everyday Life in the 1660s
  • A Little Learning
  • Farewell The Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat
  • Plain Tales from the Raj
  • By Permission of Heaven
  • A History of Histories: Epics, Chronicles, Romances and Inquiries from Herodotus and Thucydides to the Twentieth Century
  • Waterloo: June 18, 1815: The Battle For Modern Europe
  • The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death
  • Alexander the Great: Journey to the End of the Earth
  • The English Civil War: A People's History
  • National Geographic Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Time Line
Author of bestsellers The Knights Templar: The History & Myths of the Legendary Military Order, The Gnostics: The First Christian Heretics and The Cathars: The Rise & Fall of the Great Heresy. My new book, A Short History of Disease, will be published in June 2015.
More about Sean Martin...