The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order

The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This book is an essential exploration into the history of a legendary group of Crusaders, which are prominently featured in Dan Brown's recent best seller, The Da Vinci Code. The Knights Templar rose from humble beginnings to become the most powerful military religious order of the Middle Ages. Formed to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land, they participated in the Crusades...more
Published November 20th 2004 by Basic Books (first published 2004)

I admit to kind of being disappointed in this book. After seeing a documentary about the Templars on the History Channel, I picked it up, wanting to learn more, only to have 80% of the same facts regurgitated at me, with the other 20% being a hard to follow list of important leaders, places, and battles in the Middle East involving the Templars, their supporters, and even "enemies".

I suppose this is to be expected when dealing with such history. The Templars were not among the most well document...more
Don
Jun 03, 2009 Don rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
I received this book a few months ago from some friends who, while interested in the topic of the Templars, and sorting through some of the myth from the reality in history, described the book as a bit overly detailed, muddying the information and making it difficult to get through.

I have to agree with their assessment after finishing it last night. The book is short, about 150 pages, a little bit more if you include the Appendices, but it is packed with information. The author does provide many...more
Steele Dimmock
If you enjoy the Assassin's Creed games. This is a good companion book. It's short and gives an excellent flyover of the order during its glory days. If you are already familiar with the lore then this will only offer scant value.
I would have liked to have known more about the continuation of the order and it's evolution in to modern times.
Fun reading for anyone interested in the poor knights of the temple of Solomon.
S. K. Pentecost
What I knew about Templars fit on the head of a pin. Now I know more. Like, I now have one more secret behind the scenes cabal pulling the strings of world governance to worry about. How do they all fit behind the curtain, do you think?

This book was a compact primer (pronounced pry-mur)on the workings of a very recognizable brand of warrior-monks.

I listened to the audio-book so I'll have to go back for a re-listen for those parts when I got distracted, but this book felt like a very good jumping...more
John Martindale
I never even recall hearing of the Templars, so this little history was enlightening. They started out as a little group of monastic knights whose role was to protect those on pilgrimages to Jerusalem from bandits. This being after the first crusade which put Jerusalem in "Christian" hands. They evolved into a powerful military force for a while, and were extremely wealthy and even established one of the first banks.

It is interesting to learn that the Christians allowed Muslims to to continue to...more
Chris
This small book, focusing more on the factual history than on the myths & conspiracy theories, was a bit hard to follow at times. The author jumped around chronologically too much, making a complex history, already complicated by unfamiliar names & places, even more difficult to digest. But I'm fascinated enough by it all that I read it through anyway.
Matthew Roberts
It's a good primer and rattles through the history pretty quickly with little comment. It's a strange middle ground, covering both the history and the myths without going into depth on either.

If this is something you're interested in, it can't hurt to read it - like I say, it's short. And it may provide a starting off point for further research.
T.
I picked this book up at my local library, as I wanted a bit of background information on the Knight Templar history. This short book had some great factual info with out a fictional-whimsical portrayal of the Knights. A solid read.
Paola Paz
This book really helps you to understand the main history of Templars. You can learn a lot.
I read it because I love this topics and I found it really interesting and useful.
Ian James
A very concise history of the knights templar, not the best one out there but if you just need a topical study its quit good.
Drew Mcmahon
Very easy to read. Leaves you wanting more and gives you a very good but basic history lesson.
Kristinka
Like once said, it's the best review book about the templars written from a non Mason.
Mike
interesting book
Jamie
Jamie is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Sanz
Sanz is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2014
Sue Squires
Sue Squires marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Dave Meyer
Dave Meyer marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Ben Roberts-waite
Ben Roberts-waite is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2014
Scott Mangini
Scott Mangini marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Christina Crowell
Christina Crowell marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Veronica Mavin
Veronica Mavin marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
The Cathars: The Most Successful Heresay of the Middle Ages Black Death The Gnostics: The First Christian Heretics Alchemy & Alchemists Andrei Tarkovsky